Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by sergey »

I noticed that "The Volcano Mountain" objectives are "Check the map, then chose the starting encampments for you and your allies" for Antar side even at the end of the scenario. I added delayed_variable_substitution=yes under the [objectives] and that works. After the keeps are chosen, Antar objectives are changed to "Defeat all enemies".
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Argesilao pointed me to a issue in the final scenario. I have made a stupid change after playtesting, and that change ruins the final battle. :doh:
To play the final scenario proper, please replace the attached file in the folder Antar/units.
Attachments
Crystal.cfg
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
sergey

Post by sergey »

Thanks, Adamant14. But I am already in the middle of that scenario and units definitions are inlined (and somehow modified with additional information) in the savefiles. I will try to update the savefile. I suppose the wrong thing is all resistances set to 0, which actually means 100%? Is that the only problem?

Dwarvish High Alchemist unit doesn't have its abilities. I suppose doubled tags are the reason:

Code: Select all

[abilities]
    [abilities]
        {ABILITY_INSPIRE}
        {ABILITY_UNPOISON}
        {ABILITY_HEALS}
    [/abilities]
    [/abilities]
Also, I was able to beat "The Volcano Mountain" on hard after I fixed the bug with enemy gold amount. My losses were not very high. I will post the rest of replays to the feedback thread once I will finish your admirable campaign :)
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

sergey wrote: January 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm Dwarvish High Alchemist unit doesn't have its abilities. I suppose doubled tags are the reason
Thanks for noticing that.

sergey wrote: January 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm Also, I was able to beat "The Volcano Mountain" on hard after I fixed the bug with enemy gold amount. My losses were not very high.
Good to hear, thank you very much for testing that.

sergey wrote: January 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm I suppose the wrong thing is all resistances set to 0, which actually means 100%? Is that the only problem?
Yes, right. Sorry for the circumstances.

sergey wrote: January 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm I will post the rest of replays to the feedback thread once I will finish your admirable campaign :)
Thank you, glad you like it. :D
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Argesilao wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:39 pmDuring the last scenario I noticed that the icon of the morningstar attack of the Dwarvish High Alchemist is missing.
Fixed, will be added with the next release. Thank you for noticing that.

Argesilao wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:39 pmI finished the campaign.

The campaign is very good under every point of view
Thank you very much :D

Argesilao wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:39 pmBut the epilogue it's a bit drastic :shock: ; will there be a second chapter of the saga?
Who knows ^_^
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hey, Adamant14, so far the campaign has been a blast, but:
I've gotten to Volcano Mountain and the dwarves just flat-out refuse to recruit any units and instead just hurry to wherever Antar's side is and try to join in the fight and just get in the way. This happens no matter where I place each of the three factions.
Also the two Death Knights have no gold so far.
I think I can beat the scenario anyway, but it's a bit weird, I have to babysit the dwarves who just try to get as far away from the elvish shydes as possible.

Otherwise the campaign seems to be a very fine one indeed. Those Old One units would have been impossible to beat if the AI Dwarves hadn't kept sending units their way.

I'm playing on BfW 1.14.5 on Linux Mint 18.3 -if you need a saved game let me know!
sergey

Post by sergey »

Hi Sadaharu and Adamant14 :)
I hope Adamant14 you don't mind that I investigated the issue, I like your campaign very much and it was hard to resist.

The problem is located in the 12_The_Volcano_Mountain.cfg file lines 1655-1659. That condition is true at the first turn, which was not supposed. To fix that you could add one more condition

Code: Select all

[variable]
  name=castle_chosen
  equals=yes
[/variable]
I verified the fix.

Here are detailed instructions in case if someone wants to fix the issue on their own.
Spoiler:
Last edited by sergey on February 28th, 2019, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sergey

Post by sergey »

And there is one minor issue that shouldn't affect the gameplay, but since I already found it
Spoiler:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Sadaharu wrote: February 28th, 2019, 5:59 am Hey, Adamant14, so far the campaign has been a blast, ...
sergey wrote: February 28th, 2019, 10:58 am I like your campaign very much ....
Thank you for the kind words :D

Sadaharu wrote: February 28th, 2019, 5:59 am I've gotten to Volcano Mountain and the dwarves just flat-out refuse to recruit any units and instead just hurry to wherever Antar's side is and try to join in the fight and just get in the way.
sergey wrote: February 28th, 2019, 10:58 am The problem is located in the 12_The_Volcano_Mountain.cfg file lines 1655-1659. That condition is true at the first turn, which was not supposed. To fix that you could add one more condition
Thank you for pointing me to this. I recently changed that part of code, and I did not noticed this bug by myself.
Fixed, thank you Sadaharu, and thank you Sergey.

sergey wrote: February 28th, 2019, 11:09 am And there is one minor issue that shouldn't affect the gameplay, but since I already found it
Spoiler:
Stupid me! :doh:
Fixed, thank you one more time

Sadaharu wrote: February 28th, 2019, 5:59 am Also the two Death Knights have no gold so far.
This is intended, both Death Knights are meant to be passive until two of the three Orc leaders are finished.
But I guess it looks odd in the status table. :augh:

Sadaharu wrote: February 28th, 2019, 5:59 am Otherwise the campaign seems to be a very fine one indeed. Those Old One units would have been impossible to beat if the AI Dwarves hadn't kept sending units their way.
:hmm: The Old Ones are intended as very strong enemies, but they are still beatable.
In earlier versions there where more of them to deal with, I have already reduced their number.
And also I have added a warning, so that the player wont get surprisingly overrun by them.
I think it is doable now.

Sadaharu wrote: February 28th, 2019, 5:59 am ... if you need a saved game let me know!
I am always interested in replays, I am always curious how other players deal with the scenarios.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Ah-ha! I've just finished updating.

So, first, the bug: yes, Gomdring now stays in his castle with his guards around him instead of just rushing forward. I'll see how they fight now.

The Death Knights: a wily player might just concentrate his attacks on one Orc leader and send a few Shydes and Sylphs over the water to deal with the few lone skeletons. Maybe a better way would be to make it so that once an attacker crosses the river it is swamped by undead, regardless of the survival of the Orcish leaders.

The Old Ones: basically with a bad roll or two they can eat up even a Paladin. I think I ended up savescumming that a bit, until I realised that the best way to defeat them was to let them get follow randow dwarf units and get stranded. But three Old Ones standing side-to-side blocking a hallway is one mighty challenge. As it should be.

Well, it is time to actually play Volcano Mountain as it is intended then. :)
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Sadaharu wrote: March 1st, 2019, 3:46 am The Death Knights: a wily player might just concentrate his attacks on one Orc leader and send a few Shydes and Sylphs over the water to deal with the few lone skeletons. Maybe a better way would be to make it so that once an attacker crosses the river it is swamped by undead, regardless of the survival of the Orcish leaders.
Oh yes, it is already so that there are two ways to activate the Death Knights.
One way is to kill two Orc leaders, and the other is to move near the Death Knights, so it is not possible to assassinate the Death Knights easily.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Ah, good. It was so late last night in this timezone that I just made sure there were no crashes and the dwarves worked and then went to bed.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Found another (much more minor) thing in Volcano Mountain (just finished it): The Ring of Ice, is melee-cold-slow but the description triggered when walking onto the tile says that it's ranged -it is already a melee attack when the Death Knight is wearing it.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Sadaharu wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 12:12 am Found another (much more minor) thing in Volcano Mountain (just finished it): The Ring of Ice, is melee-cold-slow but the description triggered when walking onto the tile says that it's ranged -it is already a melee attack when the Death Knight is wearing it.
I have changed the attack from ranged to melee, and it seems I have forgoten the description.
Thank you for noticing this.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

A kind of… well, maybe bug, maybe a feature. I'm at The Crystal and, in spite of the helpful scenario maker's entreaties, I logically sent a Shyde and my two Sylphs to try and attack the undead leader to the west from behind. A Lv. 2 or Lv.3 skeleton appeared with every step the girls took so they were retreating towards the castle in the middle when some lug called Ugoshag (re)appeared and took the therebefore empty castle with some Soulless and Walking Corpses and the lasses just went straight for him. So 1/3 of the attacking forces was eliminated right then.

Edit: Reports on things inside the cave

The Slither Blades have no advancement but their XP meter is still blue.
How the Crystal actually works (I suspect, as intended):
  • There's the same thing with the XP meter
  • It cannot dodge (100% cth) and has no resistances
  • It's on (26,2) but the life meter is all the way up and to the left (24,1)
  • If attacked with any unit other than Gelphrad it will regenerate back to full health even if Gelphrad had already damaged it.
And btw you've misspelled epilogue as epilouge (and where it says ‘without anymore guidance’ remove the anymore).

I really liked it. Thanks for the campaign!!