Antar, Son of Rheor [Singleplayer Campaign Feedback Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Antar, Son of Rheor [Singleplayer Campaign Feedback Thread]

Postby Adamant14 » February 7th, 2012, 8:01 pm

This is a feedback-thread for 'Antar, Son of Rheor'.

Bug reports, balancing ideas and any other feedback are all welcome.

I decided to maintain my Add-On only for the latest version of BfW.
So please use BfW version 1.11.12 or a newer version.


Art request
Portraits needed for:

Mal Kazur - (main villan, Dark Sorcwerer / evil Lich)
Gelphrad (boy) - A joung boy with strong magical powers
Gelphrad (young men) - a mage that become one of the greatest magicans ever
Gelphrad (white mage)
Last edited by Adamant14 on January 31st, 2016, 2:03 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor: SP Campaign


Please add your (or some other) campaign to this sites: Guide to UMC Campaigns | Players' Review(s) | Please leave a comment here: WML filtering , WML variables
User avatar
Adamant14
 
Posts: 764
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Adamant14 » February 11th, 2012, 8:06 am

If anybody here downloaded my campaign, constructive criticism and bare impressions are welcome.
Reviewing just a scenario will be as welcome as reviewing the whole campaign.

When posting feedback, please answer these questions:

(1) Number or Name of the scenario.

(2) What difficulty level have you played the scenario on?

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline? What can be added to make the story clearer / more interesting?

(5) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(6) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

(7) Did you cheat? And why?

(8) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(9) Was there a bug in the scenario?

(10) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?


I'm interested how someone else than me plays the game,
so can anybody please upload a replay for me.



Thank's a lot :)
Last edited by Adamant14 on August 8th, 2012, 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor: SP Campaign


Please add your (or some other) campaign to this sites: Guide to UMC Campaigns | Players' Review(s) | Please leave a comment here: WML filtering , WML variables
User avatar
Adamant14
 
Posts: 764
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Eugen » February 11th, 2012, 9:17 am

Hello, I'm playing your campaign now and enjoying it very much. I especially like various special units such as village elder, apprentice mage etc. The variety of scenarios and scenario objectives is satisfying. All and all - perfect campaign for Saturday morning hangover :)
Eugen
 
Posts: 30
Joined: April 7th, 2011, 6:03 am

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Gwynnedrion » February 11th, 2012, 2:00 pm

can't get past the first scenario where he zombie rushes me. I'd suggest giving the player heavy infantry as a base unit.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Gwynnedrion
 
Posts: 136
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Adamant14 » February 11th, 2012, 5:54 pm

It is possible without Heavy Infantrymen.
Use the terrain, use the right units, use the right time of day.
It is possible.
And don't wait till your enemy has no more gold,
because this will not happen in the first scenario.
There is also an important fact to win the first scenario,
but I don't want to spoil it here. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor: SP Campaign


Please add your (or some other) campaign to this sites: Guide to UMC Campaigns | Players' Review(s) | Please leave a comment here: WML filtering , WML variables
User avatar
Adamant14
 
Posts: 764
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Gwynnedrion » February 11th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Do you mean
Spoiler:
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Gwynnedrion
 
Posts: 136
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Adamant14 » February 12th, 2012, 12:04 am

Gwynnedrion wrote:Do you mean
Spoiler:


No :)

If you want, I send you a PM.
Just ask me. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor: SP Campaign


Please add your (or some other) campaign to this sites: Guide to UMC Campaigns | Players' Review(s) | Please leave a comment here: WML filtering , WML variables
User avatar
Adamant14
 
Posts: 764
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby MRDNRA » February 12th, 2012, 10:33 pm

Gwynnedrion wrote:can't get past the first scenario where he zombie rushes me. I'd suggest giving the player heavy infantry as a base unit.


I can see why you would want them, but cavalrymen have decent impact resist, although their low defense means they're vulnerable to chain suiciding. Have tried once so far, and I was lucky at one point, one of my cavalrymen got levelled up from chain suiciders, when one more hit would've killed him. He later got killed anyway, by chain suiciders!

I think what I'm going to try next is cavalry rushing straight through the zombies, if my strategy on this 2nd attempt doesn't pay off, that strategy being mainly cavalry spam (along with a few other units).

On a side note to the creator, I find it interesting that you have enabled the recruiting of sergeants. I am not aware of any other campaign which does this, and it could prove very handy to have the extra leadership later.

Edit: Had another try, cavalry spam doesn't really work. I think bowmen are in fact the answer, they don't do much melee damage, hence chain suiciding doesn't work so effectively on them. Going to try that now.

Edit 2: After a few further attempts, using various strategies, I can honestly say I cannot find a way that would involve winning without recklessly losing loads of units in an all out constant assault, which is in itself totally unfeasible anyway.
MRDNRA
 
Posts: 212
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Adamant14 » February 13th, 2012, 5:38 pm

MRDNRA wrote:On a side note to the creator, I find it interesting that you have enabled the recruiting of sergeants. I am not aware of any other campaign which does this, and it could prove very handy to have the extra leadership later.

I think I should limit the number of sergeants to recruit in the next version :)
MRDNRA wrote:Edit: Had another try, cavalry spam doesn't really work. I think bowmen are in fact the answer, they don't do much melee damage, hence chain suiciding doesn't work so effectively on them. Going to try that now.

Edit 2: After a few further attempts, using various strategies, I can honestly say I cannot find a way that would involve winning without recklessly losing loads of units in an all out constant assault, which is in itself totally unfeasible anyway.

If you need a hint, send me a PM :)

Do you play EASY, NORMAL or HARD?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor: SP Campaign


Please add your (or some other) campaign to this sites: Guide to UMC Campaigns | Players' Review(s) | Please leave a comment here: WML filtering , WML variables
User avatar
Adamant14
 
Posts: 764
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby taptap » February 22nd, 2012, 10:41 pm

Well done! Love to see a fencer hero. (I hope I can recruit more fencers later.) Just played the first two scenarios on hard.

Scenario 1:

It was the first time I had an enemy AI with 2000 gold in scenario 1. And you want the walking corpses to chain suicide otherwise it will be too many too soon. It is however not easy to time good enough to level up enough units and still make your way to the enemy keep.

Scenario 2:

Some ugly surprises that can leave you in very bad shape. Very recall list sensitive - skeletons (well I can blame myself for levelling to pikemen in the previous scenario when it is clearly a fight against undead).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
User avatar
taptap
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 966
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Gwynnedrion » February 23rd, 2012, 11:29 am

Even with the hint the creator gave me I couldn't beat the scenario. Maybe it's me but I think the chain suiciding and the amount of enemies is too hard. The necromancer is overpowered imo. Someone post a replay if they can. Offcourse, this scenario has alot to do with sheer luck.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Gwynnedrion
 
Posts: 136
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby taptap » February 23rd, 2012, 2:14 pm

Gwynnedrion wrote:Even with the hint the creator gave me I couldn't beat the scenario. Maybe it's me but I think the chain suiciding and the amount of enemies is too hard. The necromancer is overpowered imo. Someone post a replay if they can. Offcourse, this scenario has alot to do with sheer luck.


It is not even a necromancer just a mere adept. And you have a huge income and many turns yourself, in fact, I believe it is a very forgiving scenario, you can stupidly lose half a dozen units without any serious impact on the result. Apropos impact, you know that Heavy Infantry is weak against the impact damage of walking corpses and has worse defence than spearmen on most terrain? Seriously the solution is:

Spoiler:


I would however change the 2000 gold into a high base income, unlike the 2000 initial gold you can then scale between the difficulties, so that maybe on easy he is spamming some corpses less per turn.

On the loyals:

Spoiler:
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
User avatar
taptap
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 966
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Adamant14 » February 23rd, 2012, 5:18 pm

Gwynnedrion wrote:Even with the hint the creator gave me I couldn't beat the scenario. Maybe it's me but I think the chain suiciding and the amount of enemies is too hard.

Is the first scenario too hard?
Who else thinks so? :hmm:
taptap wrote:It is not even a necromancer just a mere adept. And you have a huge income and many turns yourself, in fact, I believe it is a very forgiving scenario, you can stupidly lose half a dozen units without any serious impact on the result.

Nevertheless, I recommend to avoid losing too many of your units. Every lost unit is one more for your enemy.
taptap wrote:Apropos impact, you know that Heavy Infantry is weak against the impact damage of walking corpses and has worse defence than spearmen on most terrain?

That's right. :)
taptap wrote:I would however change the 2000 gold into a high base income, unlike the 2000 initial gold you can then scale between the difficulties, so that maybe on easy he is spamming some corpses less per turn.

On EASY you have three extra-turns. I thought that is enough, but I think about your proposal.
Maybe not a bad idea. :)
taptap wrote:On the loyals:
Spoiler:


Agreed. :D
I will change this in the next version.
Gwynnedrion wrote: Offcourse, this scenario has alot to do with sheer luck.

No, I don't think so. Really I don't think so.
Maybe this scenario is too difficult, but it has not much to do with only luck.
Gwynnedrion wrote:Someone post a replay if they can.

For me too.
Someone please post a replay.
I am curious how someone else than me plays this campaign. :)

Thanks for playing,
and thanks for the report. :D
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor: SP Campaign


Please add your (or some other) campaign to this sites: Guide to UMC Campaigns | Players' Review(s) | Please leave a comment here: WML filtering , WML variables
User avatar
Adamant14
 
Posts: 764
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby taptap » February 23rd, 2012, 6:46 pm

Scenario 3: Is fine with me. Level units, bash skeletons and some more walking corpses. There are better wolf sprites in Wesnoth wonder why you don't use them.

Scenario 4: Bugs me endlessly. Not that winning itself is too hard, but if you want to remove my recall list you can do so directly (go over the other pass and they died in the snow). But I have no idea where the goblins come from they are sheer endless in numbers and unlike mainline goblins have annoying ranged capabilities (picking of a full health dwarf from a hill happens easily, no wonder as the L1 has marksman) + Roc rider mobility + you have no choice of units and thus are stuck with a bunch of 4 MP guys (2 HI + all dwarves and you can't omit the slow movers by different recruitment in the previous scenario) that need 16 turns pure walking time (turn limit is 24). After I lose some units too much, I am unhappy about the result and want to restart the scenario anyway usually after the second night and 2/3 of the road. I know this is realistic and all such, but definitely not fun.

Looking in the code you seem to replace all killed goblins regardless of how many I am killing. Spawn a limited number per turn until they are complete ok, but you put a dozen in my way and instantly replace them when I fought my way through them? I mean their annoying axemen are faster than most of my army and even most of my levelled units (that - did I mention it - I did not choose myself) have no retaliation against them = the chop down even L3 pretty fast, but when I stop to kill them with some faster units you re-spawn them completely the next turn. Meh. (Maybe it works better when putting ranged units in the rear that the AI doesn't want to attack with axemen, but still.)

Scenario 1:

I don't think that adding or removing some turns changes the difficulty much. (It is easier to build for the rush to the castle if you have some more turns a little more money, etc. but it is not really necessary as well.) I don't think the difficulty scales enough for this scenario when regardless of difficulty the adept is recruiting a full castle of corpses from first to last turn, that is why you have complaints by those who play on easier levels.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
User avatar
taptap
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 966
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Re: Antar, son of Rheor

Postby Adamant14 » February 23rd, 2012, 7:18 pm

taptap wrote:Scenario 4: Bugs me endlessly. Not that winning itself is too hard, but if you want to remove my recall list you can do so directly (go over the other pass and they died in the snow). But I have no idea where the goblins come from they are sheer endless in numbers and unlike mainline goblins have annoying ranged capabilities (picking of a full health dwarf from a hill happens easily, no wonder as the L1 has marksman) + Roc rider mobility + you have no choice of units and thus are stuck with a bunch of 4 MP guys (2 HI + all dwarves and you can't omit the slow movers by different recruitment in the previous scenario) that need 16 turns pure walking time (turn limit is 24). After I lose some units too much, I am unhappy about the result and want to restart the scenario anyway usually after the second night and 2/3 of the road. I know this is realistic and all such, but definitely not fun.

Not fun? :hmm:
The idea is avoiding useless combat.
Rush to the signpost fast as you can, the enemy is definitely not beatable, and that's indented.
With how many unit did you start. How many survived?
How many healers? (ideally you had two healers)
Witch level had the healers?
taptap wrote:Looking in the code you seem to replace all killed goblins regardless of how many I am killing. Spawn a limited number per turn until they are complete ok, but you put a dozen in my way and instantly replace them when I fought my way through them?

I test-played this scenario many times without loosing much units.
The goblins are week on flat-land.
I suggest to avoid fighting them on hills.
Even with dwarves I avoid this.
Hurry your units direction signpost,
don't waste much time fighting.
And use the healers. (two healers are not bad, especially on level 3)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor: SP Campaign


Please add your (or some other) campaign to this sites: Guide to UMC Campaigns | Players' Review(s) | Please leave a comment here: WML filtering , WML variables
User avatar
Adamant14
 
Posts: 764
Joined: April 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Next

Return to Scenario & Campaign Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests