Start of the War

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Start of the War

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Start of the War
Witness, firsthand, the beginning of the endless war between dwarves and trolls.
Main Characters
Trithdrol: A dwarf sergeant stationed in the northern outpost.
Antagonists
The Trolls
Difficulty Level
Expert
Scenario Theme
All scenarios take place underground.
Screenshots
Picture 10.png
Requirements
Wesnoth 1.9.12 or later
Availability
It will be launched after or before Christmas. Depends on the status quo.
Last edited by Lord-Knightmare on December 13th, 2011, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Start of the War

Post by artisticdude »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Requirements
Wesnoth 1.9.12
Just wondering, is there any particular reason it absolutely requires 1.9.12 (and presumably higher, if and when higher versions are available)?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
perseo

Post by perseo »

Wow! It seem like yYou have a lot of work in your hands... I'll be pleased to have a look when you finish it.
¡Salud! and ¡Luck!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

@artisticdude:- The campaign requires Wesnoth 1.9.12 or later, I forgot to mention that. Edited the fix,
@perseo:- Its not a lot. This is a short campaign about 5 battle scenarios (+2 dialogue). But, the scenarios are time-consuming. The final scenario would be the longest. :twisted:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:@artisticdude:- The campaign requires Wesnoth 1.9.12 or later, I forgot to mention that. Edited the fix,
Lol, well actually I was more concerned about backwards compatibility... the most recent version of the development branch I run is 1.9.10, and I was just wondering why your campaign requires 1.9.12 or higher. Does your campaign use a particular syntax or a particular feature that is only available in 1.9.12+, or is it just that you have only tested it on 1.9.12 and don't know if it will run on earlier versions in the 1.9 development cycle?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

artisticdude wrote:
Lord-Knightmare wrote:@artisticdude:- The campaign requires Wesnoth 1.9.12 or later, I forgot to mention that. Edited the fix,
Lol, well actually I was more concerned about backwards compatibility... the most recent version of the development branch I run is 1.9.10, and I was just wondering why your campaign requires 1.9.12 or higher. Does your campaign use a particular syntax or a particular feature that is only available in 1.9.12+, or is it just that you have only tested it on 1.9.12 and don't know if it will run on earlier versions in the 1.9 development cycle?
I'm gonna go with the later. Due slow internet service, I didn't download 1.9.11 or 1.9.10. Enraged, :twisted: I told the ISP to upgrade my package to 1Mbps. By the time, the upgrade took effect, 1.9.12 was out, so I downloaded that. This all happened before development, but you are welcome to try it on earlier versions.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Well, I think that leaving "Wesnoth 1.9.12 or later" is fine as long as you test yours on 1.9.12.
Maybe, adding something like "possibly playable on 1.9.5 - 1.9.11" will be nicer.

In my case, there is a bug on 1.9.11, so I wrote 1.9.12 or later/higher on the main file because it is confusing if I write:
- Required Wesnoth version: 1.9.5 - 1.9.10 and 1.9.12, not 1.9.11.
Right? :)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Hello everybody, expect a beta release sometime today (or tonight). The release will contain the first 4 (playable) scenarios, out of the planned 7 scenarios. The campaign length is determined by a choice of options (meaning at EASY or NORMAL, you can choose to play all 7 or 6. But on HARD you play all of them. :twisted: )

And about the feedback, I appreciate feedback on the HARD difficulty as I am playing on Normal.

31 st December 2011
Okay 6/7 scenarios done, but can't upload the campaign, as I can't connect to the add-ons server for the past few days.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Problem solved multiplayer and add-on server accessible again. I uploaded v1.0.0 with the works of scenario 7. The campaign is incomplete still. I will finish it later today and upload v1.0.1
But keep playing and post feed-back :D
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Finished coding the final scenario, but I can't figure out what goes wrong with it :evil:
It loads just fine, but every side and I mean every side recruits troll shamans. I checked the coding but couldn't find the error WML. Is this because of the constant usage of limited recruits macros?
lipk

Post by lipk »

It loads just fine, but every side and I mean every side recruits troll shamans. I checked the coding but couldn't find the error WML. Is this because of the constant usage of limited recruits macros?
I don't think so. It sometimes happens to me too that I give a pretty recruit list to the AI, but it insists on recruiting just one or two types. You have to fiddle a bit with the AI settings. For eg, if you want it to recruit whelps too, you can set a recruitment pattern like 'fighter,fighter,mixed fighter'. Then the AI will recruit two whelps and one shaman (shaman is 'mixed fighter', isn't it? :hmm: )
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

lipk wrote:
I don't think so. It sometimes happens to me too that I give a pretty recruit list to the AI, but it insists on recruiting just one or two types. You have to fiddle a bit with the AI settings. For eg, if you want it to recruit whelps too, you can set a recruitment pattern like 'fighter,fighter,mixed fighter'. Then the AI will recruit two whelps and one shaman (shaman is 'mixed fighter', isn't it? :hmm: )
I disallowed the recruitment of Troll Shamans and now the scenario is working fine. Its still untested though. And highly unbalanced. 4 dwarf sides vs 10 enemy troll sides require a lot of work... And I also need custom color values...Anybody have some...(other that yellow, pink, evony and cyan).?
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Just had a couple of goes at the first 2 levels of the campaign. Nice map layout, challenging enemies. Only thing that's stopping me progressing is my own inability to accept losses of units! Just one small inconsistency with map design though: the first scenario, tile 15,24 is rockbound cave, in the second scenario the same tile is flat road! If this is intentional, then that's fine, but it just seems a bit inconsistent to have changing terrain on what is effectively the same map.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

MRDNRA wrote:Just had a couple of goes at the first 2 levels of the campaign. Nice map layout, challenging enemies. Only thing that's stopping me progressing is my own inability to accept losses of units! Just one small inconsistency with map design though: the first scenario, tile 15,24 is rockbound cave, in the second scenario the same tile is flat road! If this is intentional, then that's fine, but it just seems a bit inconsistent to have changing terrain on what is effectively the same map.
That was intentional. The dwarves after realizing that the rocks, (trolls) fought better on rocky areas, they decided to level up that hex. Good to know, that you have found the campaign challenging. The 2nd scenario was designed for constant healing and cycling of units to gain XP. If you have less than 12 units in this scenarios....you're a goner... :twisted:
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
MRDNRA wrote:Just had a couple of goes at the first 2 levels of the campaign. Nice map layout, challenging enemies. Only thing that's stopping me progressing is my own inability to accept losses of units! Just one small inconsistency with map design though: the first scenario, tile 15,24 is rockbound cave, in the second scenario the same tile is flat road! If this is intentional, then that's fine, but it just seems a bit inconsistent to have changing terrain on what is effectively the same map.
That was intentional. The dwarves after realizing that the rocks, (trolls) fought better on rocky areas, they decided to level up that hex. Good to know, that you have found the campaign challenging. The 2nd scenario was designed for constant healing and cycling of units to gain XP. If you have less than 12 units in this scenarios....you're a goner... :twisted:
I had around 12 units, I was able to level up quite a few in the 1st level without too much difficulty, to the extent my line in the 2nd scenario consisted pretty much entirely of level 2s, and I was able to level a few of those to level 3 by the end of the 2nd level. Heck, I could've probably held off those trolls forever without losing another unit (or possibly 1 unit lost!). I reckon the 2nd scenario, with enough levelled recalls, is actually easier than the 1st level. The trolls didn't even attack til at least turn 5, I reckon they were scared of my units lol!

The 3rd level was certainly challenging, it took me a couple of restarts. The 4th level I ran out of time on the only run through I've done of it so far!