Shadows of Deception 0.5.3 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.1 [Wesnoth 1.11.6]

Post by vultraz »

revansurik wrote:In scenario 6, Awakening, I got the key with Galamor, and moved him to those gates in the north (at 18,11), but nothing happens. Was there anything else I should have done?
You need to go into the inventory of the key bearer while standing next to a gate and "use" it.
revansurik wrote:BTW, I'd like to say that I'm enjoying the campaign: it has beautiful maps, an interesting story (I'm really enjoying meeting Niryone and seeing Elynia in her first days), and cool RPG elements (like changing which items certain unit is carrying).
revansurik wrote:My only complaint regards Elynia's uselessness. I understand that she's but an apprentice, but I think she could at least gain some different skills, or an increase in power, or maybe an upgrade in her healing ability when levelling up. The way things are now, the player is stuck with a dismayingly weak and useless unit that must be kept alive and which never improves. :?
Yes, that did bother me too while playing. I intend to give her and Niryone some AMLAs once a relevant feature is added to mainline.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

You need to go into the inventory of the key bearer while standing next to a gate and "use" it.
Ah, I see... I hadn't thought of that :-)
Well, finished the scenarios that are already done, now waiting for the next ones :-D
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

vultraz wrote:
revansurik wrote:My only complaint regards Elynia's uselessness. I understand that she's but an apprentice, but I think she could at least gain some different skills, or an increase in power, or maybe an upgrade in her healing ability when levelling up. The way things are now, the player is stuck with a dismayingly weak and useless unit that must be kept alive and which never improves. :?
Yes, that did bother me too while playing. I intend to give her and Niryone some AMLAs once a relevant feature is added to mainline.
Is there a concrete timeframe for the implementation of that feature or not? I still think you should give my proposal a try in the meantime.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

shadowm wrote:Is there a concrete timeframe for the implementation of that feature or not? I still think you should give my proposal a try in the meantime.
I hope to get it done for 1.11.7. As for your proposal, I'd still rather use a mainline implementation.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, I have played this campaign on Medium Difficulty (the completed scenarios only) and here's my Feed-back:

Seer and Outlaw

Quite difficult for a first scenario, but I enjoy this sort of things. :twisted:

Dwarvish Trail

Good scenario, but took me a while to finish it since Elynia moves 1 water hex per turn. Undead could use more variety.

Gathering Storm

There were frequent and unusual lags every time side 2 made a turn. You ought to change the position of side 5's leader. Niryone zapped him in one turn.

Pursuit

There is something wrong here. The scenario doesn't end. I worked my way through debug's :n command.

Ambush in Wesmere

Is this some sort of a joke? :augh: Side 4 got clobbered and the Dire Wolves made suicide attacks on the hero Dwarven Runemaster. The northguard units got use attack boosts. Please make this one scenario more challenging. :)

Awakening

Got more complicated the last time I played this one. But I like it. :twisted:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: Gathering Storm

There were frequent and unusual lags every time side 2 made a turn. You ought to change the position of side 5's leader. Niryone zapped him in one turn.

Pursuit

There is something wrong here. The scenario doesn't end. I worked my way through debug's :n command.

Ambush in Wesmere

Is this some sort of a joke? :augh: Side 4 got clobbered and the Dire Wolves made suicide attacks on the hero Dwarven Runemaster. The northguard units got use attack boosts. Please make this one scenario more challenging. :) :
Thanks for playing, and for the feedback :) I haven't been working on NX a lot the past few weeks, but now I have motivation to do so. I'll fix these as soon as I can. I also have half on E1S7 done, and plan to release that soon enough.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey just began playing it. I tried to unequip the staff of elynia to change it to the spear, that the dwarvish fighter wore. 1st thing is, that you can't unequip items as far as i can see, and when i tried to reequip elynia's staff, (it was still in her inventory) it gave me this error:
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Paulomat4 wrote:hey just began playing it. I tried to unequip the staff of elynia to change it to the spear, that the dwarvish fighter wore. 1st thing is, that you can't unequip items as far as i can see, and when i tried to reequip elynia's staff, (it was still in her inventory) it gave me this error:
Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this error. What exactly did you do before this came up? (more details the better)
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I don't remember exactly what i did. I know, that it had something to do with unequipping items. Sadly, i also don't have the save file anymore. :(
Anyway, i'm through it, and i really liked it. although i don't really like, that your main characters (Elynia, Nyrione,Rhyan) can't advance. Some AMLA perhaps? I'm eager to see it continued. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

I found out about your campaign on shadowm's blog, scrolled through the art assets and read you are in need of
art.txt wrote:Iterior terrain art in general
- Most needed: wooden walls
Are yo aware of those wooden walls created by Blarumyrran?
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20850
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

So far I got only to the third scenario but I wanted to express my humble opinion.
Though I am very interested in this campaign, because I played and liked both Iftu and AtS, I am less than enthusiastic about this whole ordeal with gearing single units.
WINRPG. Here every unit, but plot relevant chars, is expendable. The player is requied to upgrades his whole army to better achive his goals , not babysit every solder. Also, this is one the main reasons why units can level only 3-4 times: otherwise the player would just recall a squad of uber mofo's and blow everything to hell. :twisted:
I would suggest to limit mangeable items to a set of consumable potions/spells with a specific effect on unit for a single scenario that player can buy/find. Maybe even show some negative consequences like lowering unit's max hp after a combat-enhancing potion is wearing off. Remeber kids: drugs are bad for your health! :eng:
As it was told before, apparently player can't switch items between units. Still, I was able to unequip some of the weapons like the crossbow of a Dragoon or sorceress' staff but it seems to be not possible to just throw them on the gound for other unit to pick it up.
I'm done here. For now.
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Thanks for the feedback :) I've been a bit busy of late, but I'll try to get back to working on this more often.
Ranger wrote: I would suggest to limit mangeable items to a set of consumable potions/spells with a specific effect on unit for a single scenario that player can buy/find. Maybe even show some negative consequences like lowering unit's max hp after a combat-enhancing potion is wearing off. Remeber kids: drugs are bad for your health! :eng:

As it was told before, apparently player can't switch items between units. Still, I was able to unequip some of the weapons like the crossbow of a Dragoon or sorceress' staff but it seems to be not possible to just throw them on the gound for other unit to pick it up.
I like this idea. I'll look into implementing it :)

As for the item drops, I haven't coded that yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that, but hopefully it'll be in the next release.

Again, thanks for the feedback and for playing.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
lipk

Post by lipk »

I've played through the playable parts on normal difficulty on git HEAD (which happens to be 1.11.8 right now). Thoughts:
1) I hate the 24-hour schedule. It decreases the ToD-mechanism to a static bonus (or malus) within one level.
2) In the mine scenario, only the first miner could deliver the materials, nothing happened when I moved the rest next to the green leader. (Perhaps a missing first_time_only=no?).
3) The mine scenario is too easy.
4) It's rather unclear and unintuitive that you have to cast the same spell over and over again in the messenger scenario.
5) When I killed the Grand Marshal in the pursuit scenario, nothing happened.
6) "Ambush on Wesmere" was also too easy.
7) I couldn't pick up the key in the prison.
8 ) Either the RNG went completely insane, or you're using FORCE_HIT_CHANCE all over the place without any warning sign. If the latter is the case: it's a rather frustrating.

Otherwise, it was pretty good.
vultraz
Developer

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.1 [Wesnoth 1.11.6 and later]

Post by vultraz »

Version 0.5.2 is out!

Once again, I have gotten busy, and this release contains no new scenarios, only mostly internal bug fixes and improvements. It is, however, the first release on the 1.12 add-on server, which was started and became the default server in Wesnoth 1.11.10. It is noted that this campaign requires 1.12 or later, but it will work on the 1.12-beta versions (1.11.10 on).

I also didn't have time to address the main complaint, that which being E1S5.1 was too easy. However, I'll try to have that in the next release, along the more scenarios, though I'm not sure how many as the rest of those slated for E1 are more complicated than those previous. I'd also like to go back and give E1S3 and 4 some tweaks, since they really don't satisfy me right now.

The changelog for this version is as follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.5.2
-------------
* Scenarios
  * E1S2 - Dwarvish Trail
    * Update Micro AI syntax for 1.11.8 and later
    * Allowed the Mind Control spell to restore full movement
    * Use goto MAI for moving Dalen to the bridge
  * E1S5.1 - Ambush in Wesmere
    * Fixed a typo preventing the orcs from ever giving you their troops as
      allies at scenario victory
    * Update Micro AI syntax for 1.11.8 and later
  * E1S5.2 - Change of Plans
    * Some dialog tweaks

* Lua
  * Mitigated an issue with [fade_out_music] briefly playing a short burst
    of the previous track before the switch to a new one

* Graphics
  * New or updated unit graphics: Northguard Fighter, Northguard Warrior, 
    Northguard Deathblade
  * Removed blank ellipse images. Units can now use ellipse=none

* User interface:
  * Cutscene themes now use the 1.11.10 [theme] id attribute on 1.11.10 and
    later.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
AI
Developer

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.2 [Wesnoth 1.12 and later]

Post by AI »

The wescamp script gave me the following output:

Code: Select all

[WARNING 2014-04-11 13:10:48,625]
pot-update in addon NX-RPG:
expected closed node 'not' got 'scenario' at ./NX-RPG/episode1/scenarios/04_Pursuit.cfg:493 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 493.
non-empty node stack at end of ./NX-RPG/episode1/scenarios/04_Pursuit.cfg at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 203, <FILE> line 493.
WML seems invalid for ./NX-RPG/episode1/scenarios/04_Pursuit.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
This is due to various cases of [foo][/foo] on a single line. The proper wml parser can handle that, but most of the scripts can't.