1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mithc

Re: 1.11 SP Campaign: Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by mithc »

I've now made it to the desert region, but I have a few suggestions about the chapter in the North. When exploring the Frost Caves and after you defeat the Ice dragon and fall through to the underground spring and defeat the enemies there Aria says something like "This water has properties like the fountain and can be used to heal". When I moved units into the water that were injured they didn't heal and their appeared to be an orb in a hex, but it was impossible to reach that hex.

Also after doing the prison scenario and returning to the village in the beginning of the map, the main character says the same line to the orc in charge there, maybe you can change it so he says something different like "We defeated the enemy at Akra-Kor and we need to heal before we go back South". Also maybe you can put the Orc Warlord back at the village when you return to it before you leave.

Lastly, maybe after the prison scene you could make it so that we could recruit some orcish mercenaries from the Orc Warlord we just helped out just like in the main city. I think this would be cool and could just add some diversity to the small band of warriors you have.

EDIT: Also one thing I was wondering, sometimes when Exanites attacks with his fire bolt it will give the fizzled out animation but still deal damage and sometimes it will give the animation that it has been casted and the fireball will fly at the enemy, but no damage will be dealt. I don't know if this is a Wesnoth bug or a bug specific to your add-on.

EDIT2: I was also wondering about attack skill increase when a conscript leveled up, does this actually do anything? Because it seems to have no effect.

EDIT3: I ran into a bug when I had a skirmish in the desert the bug was

"<Lua error> game_error: unknown unit type: Fire Dragon,Skeletal Dragon,SS_Sandworm"

There were also some other lines following that started with "stack traceback:"

EDIT4: I have seem to have run into a bug in the desert region, when at the ruins looking for danteren I played the scenario and looked for him, then when the priestess said that it looks like he left and that we should leave also I did, then I moved on the world map and stepped onto another piece of the ruins and started the scenario again, yet this time there were no enemies and the Main character's sister and the priestess were gone and now they are permanently gone from his party as I visit everywhere else in the desert.
gooby

Post by gooby »

doofus-01 wrote:
gooby wrote:I tried this campaign and right out of the gate I get errors complaining that a macro named SS_AMLA_INITIALIZATION can't be found. Sigh...
That macro is defined, so there has to be more to it than just that. (We're getting closer, maybe next time...)

This campaign has been unchanged since November, I wonder why I am just getting these complaints now... Maybe a conflict with another add-on or something. :hmm:
Where is it defined? I couldn't find it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Should be in <add-ons_directory>/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/utils/weapons-skills.cfg
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
x42

Post by x42 »

same error:

Code: Select all

Macro/file 'SS_AMLA_INITIALIZATION' is missing at ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg:470 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/_main.cfg:79 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg:482 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/_main.cfg:79 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg:495 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/_main.cfg:79
looks like some missing file.

$ grep -rli SS_AMLA_INITIALIZATION Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/
Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg
$ ls Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/utils/weapons-skills.cfg
ls: cannot access Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/utils/weapons-skills.cfg: No such file or directory
$ ls -1 Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/utils/
cities.cfg
enemies-list.cfg
strings.cfg
terrain.cfg
traits.cfg
unit-pricelist.cfg
(BfW 1.11.6-557-g516154c, Tales of the Setting Sun v 0.0.25)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

x42 wrote:same error:

Macro/file 'SS_AMLA_INITIALIZATION' is missing at ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg:470 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/_main.cfg:79 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg:482 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/_main.cfg:79 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg:495 included from ~add-ons/Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/_main.cfg:79
looks like some missing file.

$ grep -rli SS_AMLA_INITIALIZATION Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/
Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/units/RPG/RPG-base.cfg
$ ls Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/utils/weapons-skills.cfg
ls: cannot access Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/utils/weapons-skills.cfg: No such file or directory
$ ls -1 Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun/utils/
cities.cfg
enemies-list.cfg
strings.cfg
terrain.cfg
traits.cfg
unit-pricelist.cfg
(BfW 1.11.6-557-g516154c, Tales of the Setting Sun v 0.0.25)
Thanks for the detailed report. It looks like many files are missing. Delightful.

I re-uploaded it. No guarantees it doesn't have other problems, I haven't done anything with it in almost a year.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
x42

Post by x42 »

http://addons.wesnoth.org/1.11/index.html shows it's still at v0.0.25.
Uninstalling and re-installing works, but update does not.
Also it does not explicitly depend on Archaric Era nor Archaic_Resources.

But it loads now.. Thanks for the quick fix.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

x42 wrote:Also it does not explicitly depend on Archaric Era nor Archaic_Resources.
It should. But there may be a bug in the provided script I used to upload. I've submitted a bug report, we'll see. https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?21189
RebelScum

Post by RebelScum »

Hello there. I've never ever had any problem with your campaigns (awesome stuff BTW!), so I was surprised to see an "unknown campaign" error. Running it on BfW 1.10.7 and Windows Vista. Had nothing to complain about until now. I do have the Archaic Era since I remember Bad Moon Rising and Trinity needing it in the 1.8 edition.

I try loading the campaign, get a message saying "000_Intro.cfg" is unknown and end up being thrown back to the main menu, so I can't just ignore the message and play. Other campaigns work properly.

I'd appreciate if you could help, thanks in advance :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

RebelScum wrote:Hello there. I've never ever had any problem with your campaigns (awesome stuff BTW!), so I was surprised to see an "unknown campaign" error. Running it on BfW 1.10.7 and Windows Vista. Had nothing to complain about until now. I do have the Archaic Era since I remember Bad Moon Rising and Trinity needing it in the 1.8 edition.
I haven't looked at anything BfW 1.10 in a long time, but I wouldn't have left it on the server if I knew it was broken, so I'll see what I can do. Looking a few posts up in this thread, it seems it used to work in BfW 1.10.6. So what changed? :hmm:
RebelScum wrote:I try loading the campaign, get a message saying "000_Intro.cfg" is unknown and end up being thrown back to the main menu, so I can't just ignore the message and play. Other campaigns work properly.
I'm not familiar with running Wesnoth on Windows Vista, are there any more errors besides the "scenario unknown" text? There should be at least one before that. When Wesnoth runs into trouble, the first error it spits out is usually the useful one, the last ones (such as the "scenario is unknown") are not worth much.

Thanks.
RebelScum

Post by RebelScum »

Wow, talk about quick reply, thanks! Vista never caused me any problems with any version of BfW, so I'm baffled.

Anyway - nope, that's the only error message I get. Maybe once this is solved, I'll get more (hope not), but right now I can't start the damn thing.

It installed in the "userdata\data\add-ons\Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun" folder which AFAIK shouldn't disrupt anything, so is Archaic Era. 000_Intro.cfg is 1,89 KB (or 4, depends on which version of Win's size info you believe). Maybe it's corrupt somehow?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

RebelScum wrote:It installed in the "userdata\data\add-ons\Tales_of_the_Setting_Sun" folder which AFAIK shouldn't disrupt anything, so is Archaic Era. 000_Intro.cfg is 1,89 KB (or 4, depends on which version of Win's size info you believe). Maybe it's corrupt somehow?
Anything's possible, but Wesnoth will point to that file regardless of where the problem really is, so we need to find the other error messages. I found this info that might help: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23894

The useful error messages are probably in one of those .txt files.

If there are no other errors in there, maybe clearing out the folder "userdata/cache" and trying again will make them show up.
RebelScum

Post by RebelScum »

Okaay... This might take a while to solve. I don't have a file named stdout.txt. It's not hidden, either - I've the "show hidden files" option checked. Looked up both My Documents and AppData, ran Windows Search. No stdout.txt file.

But I do have the stderr.txt one. Here's what it says:
Automatically found a possible data directory at C:/g/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7
Data directory: C:/g/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7
User configuration directory: C:/g/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7/userdata
User data directory: C:/g/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7/userdata
Cache directory: C:/g/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7/userdata/cache
Checking video mode: 1366x718x32...
setting mode to 1366x718x32
20140217 19:08:45 error gui/layout: ttext::set_markup text 'Zatruta jednostka traci co turę osiem punktów życia, aż od śmierci będzie ją dzielić tylko jeden punkt. Taka jednostka pozostanie o krok od śmierci, dopóki nie zostanie uzdrowiona. Jednostki leczące potrafią zapobiec utracie punktów życia z powodu trucizny, ale pełne usunięcie zatrucia nastąpi dopiero wtedy, gdy jednostka zregeneruje się bądź rozpocznie turę w wiosce lub obok jednostki ze zdolnością <i>uzdrawia<i>.' has unescaped ampersands '&', escaped them.
20140217 19:08:51 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [title_screen]: SDL left button up. The mouse button is already up, we missed an event.
20140217 19:09:52 error general: Nieznany scenariusz: '000_Intro.cfg'
20140217 19:10:04 error gui/layout: ttext::set_markup text 'Zatruta jednostka traci co turę osiem punktów życia, aż od śmierci będzie ją dzielić tylko jeden punkt. Taka jednostka pozostanie o krok od śmierci, dopóki nie zostanie uzdrowiona. Jednostki leczące potrafią zapobiec utracie punktów życia z powodu trucizny, ale pełne usunięcie zatrucia nastąpi dopiero wtedy, gdy jednostka zregeneruje się bądź rozpocznie turę w wiosce lub obok jednostki ze zdolnością <i>uzdrawia<i>.' has unescaped ampersands '&', escaped them.
The "Zatruta jednostka etc." part is in Polish, info on what happens to a poisoned character. "Nieznany scenariusz" means "unknown scenario" - that's the only thing I get from the game as such on loading the campaign.
20140217 19:08:51 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [title_screen]: SDL left button up. The mouse button is already up, we missed an event.
I don't have a mouse plugged into my laptop on which I've tried to run TotSS and my touchpad's okay, so what's that all about?

Random idea: maybe the 000_Intro.cfg file is corrupt? Download error or whatnot? Any way to verify it?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

RebelScum wrote:The "Zatruta jednostka etc." part is in Polish, info on what happens to a poisoned character.
I'm not sure that won't cause problems, but it looks like a typo in a Polish translation for some string, presumably not part of this add-on since there's no Polish translation. "<i>uzdrawia<i>" looks like it should be "<i>uzdrawia</i>". Is this the only add-on giving you trouble recently?
RebelScum wrote:I don't have a mouse plugged into my laptop on which I've tried to run TotSS and my touchpad's okay, so what's that all about?
I see that all the time, even when none of my add-ons are involved, and it doesn't cause me any problems. I'm pretty sure we can ignore it.
RebelScum wrote:Random idea: maybe the 000_Intro.cfg file is corrupt? Download error or whatnot? Any way to verify it?
You can open the file 000_Intro.cfg with a text editor, though determining if it's all OK might be difficult. I've just downloaded the add-on through the addons.wesnoth.org, and it doesn't look corrupted to me. The file size you mentioned is about the same as I got. For lack of a better answer, I'll suggest deleting and re-downloading the add-on, in case it was corrupted.
RebelScum

Post by RebelScum »

Good news!

Sorry it took so long, I was really busy. Between trying to find a new job, writing my thesis and testing ideas... got it running!

I tried the following:
1. Re-installed BfW 1.10.7. Didn't help.
2. Re-downloaded both Archaic Era and the campaign on 1.10.7. Didn't help either.
3. Downloaded Bad Moon Rising to see if another of your campaigns doesn't work. I originally played it on 1.8.5 and everything worked just fine, so I knew they're usable. BMR does work, FYI, all 3 parts, so Archaic Era is alright.
4. Opened the main config file and swapped "000_Intro" for "601_Outpost" in the code (since that part was close to English, haha). I was trying to check whether it's the 000_Intro.cfg file that's somehow faulty - didn't help. Got the exact same single error message, this one stating 601_Outpost is the missing scenario.
5. Last-ditch effort: downloaded BfW 1.10.6, then repeated the whole "download campaign and era" jazz on THAT build since you mentioned it works on 1.10.6. And work it does, dammit, like a charm! Welcome to Strakos! :D

So I guess the bottom line is: 1.10.7 has some component(s) that won't agree with TotSS. No idea why. Maybe it's the custom tiles, maybe some script or macro, I'm not a coding wiz so it's hard to tell.

Either way, thanks for your time. On to testing the campaign itself now :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

RebelScum wrote:So I guess the bottom line is: 1.10.7 has some component(s) that won't agree with TotSS. No idea why. Maybe it's the custom tiles, maybe some script or macro, I'm not a coding wiz so it's hard to tell.

Either way, thanks for your time. On to testing the campaign itself now :)
Glad to know you got it to work, not sure what happened with BfW 1.10.7. Fortunately, a new stable BfW version will come out soon. This campaign isn't on the new server, but I'll get it there when I've had a chance to work on it a bit more. (So, some warning: this campaign is in a much rougher state, in all aspects, than Bad Moon Rising.)