Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 0.94 Wesnoth Trading Sim

Post by Heindal »

Strange Legacy Version 0.94

- added Five Fates Transform spells (transform into bear, angel, hare,
- added Summon spells (10 new Summon spells - you can even summon 4 different kinds of elementals, each one with unique properties)
- added several kind of 'furniture': garden, mushroomfarm, dimensionrift (every household should have one), a desk, a zombiemaid
- writingskill will allow you to earn money and create magic spell scrolls
- added traps these are based on a trap macro that allows you to create an infinite number of traps with changing animations, effects and sounds
--> note that the teleport traps are tricky and dangerous as they can teleport you within a wall (even so this can be annoying)
- three kind of monster nests and bandit camp maps - so every mission will be different
- wording changes based on nickg400 suggestion (couldn't add all the changes)
- added several smaller bugfixes (see nicks post and my response)
- added more graphics and graphic collection
- added a spoken beginning (as ogg soundfile)
- experience for achievements (the number depends on the number of achievements so achievement hunters should love this)
- city attack mission (this is dynamic, the strength of the enemy and the fortifications of the town are based on the strength of the attacked town)

Please post wether the spoken introduction worked or not! I'm not quite sure that the sounds has been transfered. :) Thanks in andvance.
Last edited by Heindal on September 23rd, 2012, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
gosh

Post by gosh »

Hi,
You're game's superb. But i'm stuck at the desert looking for the desert amulet. I can only make the unit move 1 desert hex per turn. And the random encounters seem to like me a lot. i mean every time i step out i see "strange shapes" :D . It's ok with random encounters, but when i return to desert map, the places i explored gets blackened again :augh: (Then i have to start from scratch :( ). I visited the desert rise (after what seemed like 2 hours thanks to the sequentially-looking random events) and the guy there says he doesn't know anything about it. Where should i look?

I encountered a problem already discussed here. something about arif nest with no enemies. When i left the place, i emerged at nest coordinates not in desert but in mainland(Unlucky me: the hex was Deep sea :lol2: ). And my gold quantified :D :D

Can i ask you something?
Why do you use shroud in a desert. i mean, desert's are usually the hottest place. things might get a little hazy there, with all the heat. Why don't you use fog instead? :whistle:
And the idea of losing 2 hp per turn while standing in a desert hex might make the game a little more strategic, don't you think?

The story so far has been great and innovative, i expect we clear the north later. Always love killing orcs :lol2:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for playing gosh.

The desert - yeah I remember.

The background about the desert was, that people said the desert should be one of the most dangerous places (or at least I said so).
So I increased the number of encounters there and reduced the speed. (at this time you could buy extra speed for a cheap price, so with what I know 20 Movement Points the Desert became one of the easiest places to go.) But with the additional experience for achievements you should have more than enough level up to increase your speed. There are also rings and other equipment that increases your speed.

Shroud should represent the desert storms and sand.

Thats slightly annoying, but that is what the teleport scrolls and fleescrolls or the fleespell are there for. Also the transform into a hare spell should solve all speed issues as well. I will however improve the players speed in the desert, slightly reduce these encounters and clear this Arif Bug.
Spoiler:
So far you can conquer all enemy cities in the north - that should do the orc killing. There will be other enemy cities like that later.
On the other hand I had some cool ideas for the final chapter and for annother bunch of spells.

EDIT: The Arif nest bug is a miracle. There shouldn't be an 'Arif' nest at all. In my actual version the monstername in nests never showed (I fixed that now). So that was the first miracle. I now checked all campaigns that had something to do with Monsternests, but Arif hasn't shown here either. I think I know whats gooing wrong, as it seems that you had an encounter with an arif before - than this variable overwrote the other randomencounter variable - but this shouldn't happen.
How you landed in annother map is a miracle too. Got to check that, but it is hard to reproduce the mistake.

Err - and give the unrightful given gold back! :lol2:
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
gosh

Post by gosh »

Thanks for responding, Heindal

I've equipped myself with all trinkets i can find with my gold(I donated most of the gold in temples and slums :wink: )
Speed is now 14..But i cannot find the desert amulet. Can u tell me where to look for?

And I'm not able to complete any missions of nomads. Every time i approach their "Arif" or "Khalid"(latest) nests, What i said earlier happens (my unit decides to take a dive in deep sea :mrgreen: ) and the gold reached 50k plus. luckily i had a saved game... :whistle:

So the desert amulet please :D

regards,
Gosh :wink:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hm, could you tell me the version number?! You can find it by open the server.pbl with the editor.
The actual version is 0.94 and there was a problem like that in a version before (i think 0.92).

In the next update the speed in the desert will be increased. I will keep checking for that bug.
I already told you the position of the desert amulet. See in the post above and click on spoiler.
nickg4000

Post by nickg4000 »

Hi again

Here are some more spelling corrections for 0.94
I've been less rigorous and more efficient this time just doing the words in the list in the text file.
I'll pick up more the next time I play through, if you want

Nick
Attachments
2012-09-26_TraderSpellingCorrections.tar.gz
(114.01 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks again nick,

I have to admit that I have some problems to put all your corrections in. I have to review each file and than copy single parts of the changed text into my scenario. The background is that this is an open development, that means I can't just replace the files otherwise I will loose my changes. A textfile with just the changed text would be far better.

As I really apreciate your work, even though your obvious lack in sense of humor :lol2: (sorry - just a joke), I will of course work in your correction, but it will take me some time to do this (proably hours).

Best regards

Heindal
nickg4000

Post by nickg4000 »

Hi

No problem. I saw that some had changed so figured it must have been of some help.
The first time I did it I went through each file in the utils and scenarios folders and so should've written down the lines that I'd changed.
This time I grepped and perl replaced quite a few. I don't whether you can find a line number with grep - anybody?
Would that help anyway?

Nick
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Heindal wrote:Thanks again nick,

I have to admit that I have some problems to put all your corrections in. I have to review each file and than copy single parts of the changed text into my scenario. The background is that this is an open development, that means I can't just replace the files otherwise I will loose my changes. A textfile with just the changed text would be far better.

Heindal
Hello Heindal,
If you work on Windows, you should try WinMerge. It's a (free) utility allowing to open two files and mark how there different. It can copy directly the changes from one to another. This should help you I think.
Friendly
nickg4000

Post by nickg4000 »

In linux you can use

Code: Select all

diff file1 file2
you can also do it recursively from the top folder with

Code: Select all

diff -r folder1 folder2 >OutputFile
which outputs it to a text file that you can peruse at your leisure
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks, but I will have to read through all the corrected text anyway, as I'm responsible for the content and because I want to learn a little bit about my mistakes in English. Most of them are caused by typing to fast and refusing to read over texts a second time and the others from not beeing a native speaker.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Heindal wrote:Thanks, but I will have to read through all the corrected text anyway, as I'm responsible for the content and because I want to learn a little bit about my mistakes in English. Most of them are caused by typing to fast and refusing to read over texts a second time and the others from not beeing a native speaker.
Just try it. I bet it will fit all your needs and save you much time.
Friendly,
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Hello there, I couldn't see any entry for this on the add-on feedback forum, so I'm going to post up all my observations here. Sorry if they've already been covered, but some of them are gamebreaking, and I don't want to read back through 9 pages to find if anyone has mentioned them before.

1. When you get knocked unconscious and thieves take all your cargo, it doesn't empty the cargo space. I'm wondering around with 0 cargo space, and 0 cargo. Bit screwed.
2. Every time I go to the world map with 0 cash, I instantly receive 100 cash. it's nice, but not intended, I think.
3. When I try to complete the first story mission by going into the desert, if a random encounter happens at all, it places me AND my enemies in sea spaces, neither of which we can move through, so they can't even reach me and kill me. Since the random events always happen after a certain number of turns, it's impossible to get in and get out before being caught and having to load to before I entered the desert.
4. I bought a tavern, and at first it seemed to be making me a fair bit of cash. When I upgraded it, the money became almost non-existent; I think you've accidentally made it so that upgrading overwrites the income, rather than adding, as my 2 upgraded tavern with 2 staff brings in 2 cash a turn.
5. I've looked everywhere and not found an upgrade for the cart that lets it move in deep water. Is there supposed to be one? If there isn't, how do you reach the islands, since the boat can't land on them?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

5. I've looked everywhere and not found an upgrade for the cart that lets it move in deep water. Is there supposed to be one? If there isn't, how do you reach the islands, since the boat can't land on them?
There should be a labeled hex next to each island you can land on. Bring the boat to that hex and you'll land on that island.

And FYI, he'll probably like to know what version you're on too. ;)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your post Rowanthepreacher!

1. Oh boy the first one is a heavy bug I have overseen - sorry for that. I should set the space to maxspace than it should work fine.
(as this is a relatively new feature I think you should have a very high version number) Will check and fix that asap.

2. Its not intended, but after manually changing around 20 scenarios in different ways; I couldn't find a way to solve that. I saved the gold as variable and tried to set it each scenario but this didn't work. In 'normal' battle of wesnoth each time you start a new level with at least 100 gold pieces - this seems to be a default and I can't get rid of that :-(.

3. This should not happen, except you are on a ship. On ships your ship your encounters will of course be within the sea. Even though I tested a lot I never so anything like you described. Have you been on a ship before the encounters took place? Beeing on a ship sets the variable onship=yes. If you than have an encounter the map will be an ocean map. So I suppose you somehow got off the ship without getting back to the harbour. This seems to be a bug and I'd really like to fix that!

4. The tavern offers two upgrades (each building has more than just one option). The first one adds gold pieces to your income when working and the other one increases your staff and with it your gold income each turn. The problem of the tavern is that it has a space capacity. That means you will need at least 5 empty space to produce 5 gold pieces. When upgrading your working income you will need to upgrade your cart space as well. The tavern is a perfect starting building for the trader as he can easily upgrade it 5 times. If the required space is not available the option will disappear.

Thanks to TheScribe for answering the fifth question, of course I've been working on my new campaign 'Dungeons of Wesnoth' :oops:.