Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

InsaneFire77

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.12 RPG World - finished

Post by InsaneFire77 »

Heindal wrote: And 5 Million is a challenge, indeed! I mean with a lucky character you can find a diamond in random loots. Using that together with a dimensional rift is a nice way to make living. Also the idea of using worker amulet and ring and use the "overpriced" stamina potion will allow you to work forever, ruining prices on the market for these products. There are lots of ways to find weaknesses in the system - it's somewhat intended that the player has lot's of opportunities. It's however fun to see, what ways player take to earn gold. With the increased mission prices, the game becomes more and more balanced - but as I said, I don't have much time.
You don't need to use the "overpriced" stamina potions, because you can rest in the tavern for 200g. :D :D
Also why don't I get exp for killing enemies with the "Death"(as well as "Cleave") special or with the "Splash" one? I would like to. ^_^ ^_^
"Wisdom is the most valuable treasure."
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

You can use the maxstamina potion in the middle of a fight or in the middle of nowhere.
The real good stamina based skills, get better the higher your level or character is evolved.
So it's pretty handy.

I tried to give exp for that by using the "harm" function and used exp=yes.
It should work but it doesn't. I will see if I find an approach next week, when I'm done with my work.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
wardog_of_bad_moon

Two strategies of development a big advantageof Trader. Do n

Post by wardog_of_bad_moon »

Hi Heindal!
I am a bit happy that you are busy and cannot make insufficiently discussed changes. Your reply to me like to a reply to noob is characteristic how deeply you studied future changes.
First of all I wish to state that are AT LEAST two principally different ways of development of a character in complex and long game/ They are well described for example in Lit-RPG.
Way of noob (or of школоло, as we say in Russian) is usual and unique available for teenagers or for person having in head no more than one idea at time. Of course it can be chosen also by other persons. It is to raise level as fast as possible and to execute all quest as soon they are given (if possible,of course). This character usually fast becomes relatively mighty but later it can lose to less advanced in levels character from second way.
Way of pros is to advance level before the final state of game as slow as possible and to develop characteristics and skills. A great advantage of Trader over almost all Wesnoth scenarios is now that it supports both strategies. Firstly it become possible due to “shortcoming” that spells do not give experience. Secondly an excellent step was to introduce “claim achievements” places and player can delay level boost. So it will be great loss of flexibility if you will give exp for spells. Way of pros will be almost closed. For example now I bought the castle having level 1 and only after that begin storyline quests. Moreover before this I did not take any weapons. For this I can say thanks to you, Heindal.
Furthermore, there are places where “betatesters” are very useful and where they are misleading. From the very beginning they have high levels and stats. So they instinctively tend to hinder others different form their ways and treat fair income of high-skilled persons as cheating. So their advices are too often misleading in game balancing especially in aspects to provide completely different strategies of development (not only ways to get money).
Moreover sometimes “challenging” is sadistic (for example I think that price to hire worker in Bow factory is result of misprint and is to be lowered approx. ten times). This usually is overcome by cheating commands and you making things too “challenging” provoke direct use of debug commands (situation like to prohibition of almost all way of alternative income in late USSR and flourishing of criminal structures in result).
Instead of your too direct decisions I propose the following.
1) To rise mastery level to make great teleport scrolls and maxmanapotions up to 200 and enlarge number of used ingredients for them and for great warhorn.
2) To provide option to sell consumables as random option with probability approx. 1/8. Maybe the best way to do this is to introduce one variable which gets random value when entering city or other “commercial place”. This also will add impredictability in game and make it more interesting.
3) To replace price boost by simple random variable which sometimes during trade gives message that market is overloaded by goods in interest and lower price and sometimes that there is shortage of these goods and rise price. This also possibly can make obsolete price inflation and also make game more impredictable and challenging.
And again thanks and best wishes.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for the reply. I hope I haven't insulted you in any way, because noob can also have very negative "associations".

I want/wanted to create a game that allows the player a maximum freedom of what to do and make the game-world react to it.
The current state of Strange Legacy isn't the end of this development.

The real end of development would be to create way better infinite dungeons, a more living game world with real characters, a market system that allows to destroy entire economies (if the player likes to do so) and maybe roguelike elements such as in Sid Meier 'Pirates'.

I have three big idols for Strange Legacy:

One of the best structured trading games is a flash game called "Caravaneer" --> f.e. you can have donkeys in your caravan which than can breed new animals (in case you have males and females) and even support the caravan with food (milk) if you have pregnant female animals). This is unique, but I don't think I can pull that off inside of WML (without using lua which i don't like :P). But even in there the trading market can be corrupted - massive sales will lead to dead market after a while.

Even better is the second prototype 'X - Beyond the Frontier' and the other parts of the games. It had living structures, traders, mercs and marauders trying to do there job. It would be great to pull off something like that in Strange Legacy - maybe in 2 years of development :P. Even here the trading market can be corrupted if let the game play itself. Sometimes freighters explode or are attacked by pirates, which become way to strong without player interaction.

Last but not least, the most charming one - "Rings of Medusa". The idea of finding mines and exploit them or even treasures with a value (such as jewels) would be great, as so far the game world is a little stuck. There are changes to the worldmap in Strange Legacy due to conflicts/weather effects/or random events/actions of the player, but still the concept of Ring of Medusa is slightly better, as each town/city had unique selling properties, even so the prices seemed to random and not really dynamic as in SL.

So this is what I want to go to, a golden way between all these pearls of game development.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Future plans for the new version:

- summon a donkey or kind of transport when in an encounter (except ship), when it's killed you will lose your goods
- this caravan can be upgraded in the workshops to have more hitpoints
- eventually you can buy upgrades to spawn a caravan guard
- banking system to store gold and receive interest
- buildings trader's can autosell goods on the markets
- 1/8 gold for selling consumables
- market system for each (bigger) town, each town has an own pricing system and a number of goods which it can sell
- towns produce gold, products and citizens, so supporting towns with the supplies can help traders to earn more gold or reduce prices for goods
- overwork the caravans and current wandering npcs (one concept based on characters not on images)
- test approach for a replace-based random dungeons (instead of puzzle based)
- overwork all random events to have more decisions and more variety
- weather effects and (maybe even conflicts) will end when a new global event is diced
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

Where can I find the Angelform spell? I've seen it before somewhere but now I'm approaching a sufficient amount of money to buy it, but can't find it in any temple or spell shop?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

It should be in the Spell Store of the temples, but there is currently a bug. The spellstore should be available as soon as you have 7500 fame and above. Currently it's only available when you have less than 7500 fame. However the Angelspell requires 10.000 fame to buy - you might see the problem. Thanks to your question I could fix this and will upload a fix soon. I will see if I already add banking system + treasure vault +

You should than be able to load the fix and use a saved game to access the spell.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Tested and Uploaded new version (1.12.4):

- treasure vault in the castle allows to store gold
- bank in trader district allows to store gold (its the same vault, there is currently no interest, but the gold is save there)
- changed wording
- changed selling prices for consumables to 1/8
- fixed problem with the temple spell store
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

I found a bug, during a fight with the Cultists I ended up with -6 health due to Devour but could still play. Then I left the map and was reset to my default character in the world map.

Also, out of curiosity what sets off the cultist encounters and is there any way to stop them? I'm at the part of the storyline where I have to go to the north, and I get these encounters every 2 or 3 moves on the map and they're becoming a slight annoyance :mrgreen: .
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

dracostar wrote:Also, out of curiosity what sets off the cultist encounters and is there any way to stop them? I'm at the part of the storyline where I have to go to the north, and I get these encounters every 2 or 3 moves on the map and they're becoming a slight annoyance :mrgreen: .
the cultists attack players with high fame. decreasing it would help.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
wardog_of_bad_moon

Post by wardog_of_bad_moon »

Also, out of curiosity what sets off the cultist encounters and is there any way to stop them? I'm at the part of the storyline where I have to go to the north, and I get these encounters every 2 or 3 moves on the map and they're becoming a slight annoyance :mrgreen: .
I mentioned in my posts this rough disbalance some months ago. Those encounters simply block any other random events and are really TOO ANNOYING. And to decrease fame is often non productive. E.g. temple advisors occur only if fame is above 2000. For many mercs and quests you need a lot of fame. So I regret that this problem exists till now.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I currently have no idea how to solve that. These encounters should be an annoyance! To reduce your fame you should hire mercs or get 'fame' items (in Capital City - Skill Trainer in Trader's district). There are two very strong spells in the game - the summon demon and summon angel spell, as well as the transformation into an angel and demon.

To unlock the summon angel spell, you will have gather 20.000 fame. To unlock the demon spell you need a lot of more negative fame, but this is easily earn by raids on towns or caravans. So the game will want to "hinder" you to reach that goal. That's what these encounters are there for. Negative hp - I will look into that. Thanks for reporting.
InsaneFire77

Post by InsaneFire77 »

Heindal wrote:I currently have no idea how to solve that. These encounters should be an annoyance! To reduce your fame you should hire mercs or get 'fame' items (in Capital City - Skill Trainer in Trader's district). There are two very strong spells in the game - the summon demon and summon angel spell, as well as the transformation into an angel and demon.

To unlock the summon angel spell, you will have gather 20.000 fame. To unlock the demon spell you need a lot of more negative fame, but this is easily earn by raids on towns or caravans. So the game will want to "hinder" you to reach that goal. That's what these encounters are there for. Negative hp - I will look into that. Thanks for reporting.
I once got 20000 fame and went to a temple to buy the spell, but I only found temple advisor, the spell store wasn't there.
"Wisdom is the most valuable treasure."
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Exactly InsaneFire77 - this is fixed now in the last update 1.16 Markets!.
Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded Strange Legacy 1.16 to Wesnoth 1.13. I'm not quite convinced with it yet, as some of the code that I'm using is deprecated, but aside from some nasty deprecated message it works and should be playable.