The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.8 Released!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.8 Released!

Post by Pewskeepski » October 9th, 2011, 6:24 pm

The Fall of Wesnoth

Related Threads:
Storyline Thread

Description:
As the beloved human empire of Wesnoth becomes lazy and arrogant in it's peaceful state of happiness, Emperor Dantair demands the creation of another sun in a desperate hope for the destruction of evil. Or is it all for a different purpose? A man named Alitar sees it that way, and now he must survive the most evil inhabited lands if he is to stop chaos from rising, and Wesnoth from falling...

Story:
You all know the story from campaigns like Under The Burning Suns, and Invasion from The Unknown (I hope I followed their storylines OK), but you have never heard the story be told quiet like this! So go on, enter the empire of Wesnoth one last time and dive deep into the fall...

This campaign has been divided into two parts. This part 1 (part 2 is coming some day), which includes 13 scenarios (9 playable, 4 readable). If you don't like reading, or wordy dialog, there may be parts in this campaign that you'll dislike. The campaign is available on the previous development version of Wesnoth - 1.9.10+ (Excluding 1.9.11!) along with any release of the 1.10 series.

Latest Version: 1.0.8
Changes:

* Campaign:
  • * Fixed (hopefully) a bug causing custom images to not appear.
  • * Removed unnecessary [binary_path] for UMC Music.
Last edited by Pewskeepski on May 5th, 2012, 10:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.

User avatar
Neuromancer
Posts: 204
Joined: September 10th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.1 is finally here!

Post by Neuromancer » October 10th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Try to delete the campaign files from your userdata folder (back-up them first) and then download your campaign from the server. Does everything run smooth?

User avatar
lipk
Developer
Posts: 631
Joined: July 18th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Location: Here and there and everywhere

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.1 is finally here!

Post by lipk » October 10th, 2011, 2:37 pm

...does anything run at all? It doesn't even show up among the campaigns for me. 1.9.9 on Linux.

EDIT: hey, wait, this add-on is empty!

User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.1 is finally here!

Post by Pewskeepski » October 10th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Ah, the error was in the pbl file - I named it "The fall of Wesnoth" when I should have named it "The_Fall_of_Wesnoth". It's been fixed now, and works! There are now two TFoWs on the server - Just download the one with an icon. Can someone delete the broken one for me?

I was hoping I would actually succeed in uploading an add-on without screwing anything up... Oh well :|

User avatar
lipk
Developer
Posts: 631
Joined: July 18th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Location: Here and there and everywhere

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.1 is finally here!

Post by lipk » October 10th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Your campaign directory is called The_Fall_of_Wesnoth while everywhere in the _main.cfg you mention The_Fall_Of_Wesnoth... Windows doesn't care about it but Macs and Linuxes do, so Unix users still can't start the campaign. And there might be other filepath errors, too, since even after fixing up the directory name issue, I still can't see the sprites for the Lord and Death Squirrel units.

User avatar
tr0ll
Posts: 509
Joined: June 11th, 2006, 8:13 pm
Location: canada

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.1 is finally here!

Post by tr0ll » October 11th, 2011, 3:52 am

On GNU/Linux i made a soflink for the directory name and played the latest version on Wesnoth 1.9.9 up to the scenario where the prison warden is leaving the island, but there are other problems with pathnames, as indicated by these log messages:
error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/add-ons/The_Fall_Of_Wesnoth/images/icon1.png'
error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/add-ons/The_Fall_Of_Wesnoth/images/campaign_image1.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/humans/lord.png'
error display: could not open image 'portraits/dantair.png'
error display: could not open image 'portraits/alitar.png'
error display: could not open image 'portraits/cyfer.png'
error display: could not open image 'portraits/balthyn.png'
error audio: could not find track 'gameplay06.ogg'
error display: could not open image 'schedules/1dawn1.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/undead/deathsquire.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/undead/rider.png'
error display: could not open image 'schedules/2morning1.png'
error display: could not find image for report: 'schedules/2morning1.png'
error display: could not find image for report: 'units/humans/tracker.png~RC(magenta>blue)'
error display: could not open image 'units/undead/rider-moving.png'
error display: could not open image 'schedules/3midday1.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/undead/rider-attack.png'
error display: could not open image 'schedules/5dusk1.png'
error display: could not find image for report: 'schedules/4afternoon1.png'
error display: could not open image 'schedules/6shortdark.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/humans/tracker-bolas-1.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/undead/deathsquire-attack-1.png'

There was no time-of-day indicator in the interface and the Tracker/Hunter sprite was missing. When i looked in the add-on's data folder the images were actually under 'images/units....' but i wasnt going to edit every .cfg file to fix that. Not sure how this is manages to work on your system :lol2:

Other errors in the log (many repeats but im only showing each one once):
error ai/actions: Error #-1 (action_result::AI_ACTION_FAILURE) in recruitment by side 2 of unit type [ThugN] on any suitable location
error ai/general: recruitment failed
error ai/actions: Error #-1 (action_result::AI_ACTION_FAILURE) in recruitment by side 3 of unit type [Tracker] on any suitable location


Please note i did have fun playing, the battles were balanced and the plot is interesting. This is meant to be objective reporting of errors and constructive feedback - i am not disappointed! I only quit playing for the night because it is bedtime 8)

There are some unclear parts and oddities and lot of typos that could be smoothed with writing and editing. In particular Sgt Alitar is too mouthy for a junior soldier in his first command-level meeting with the great leaders and sages of the kingdom. That he isnt thrown in the dungeons immediately would be more believable if he were in the nobility, e.g. make him some hero unit type like young Konrad was and give him a rank of Lieutenant. I would like to see him get Leadership, at least after he rises past ruffian or footpad level.

User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.1 is finally here!

Post by Pewskeepski » October 11th, 2011, 6:43 pm

tr0ll wrote:There was no time-of-day indicator in the interface and the Tracker/Hunter sprite was missing. When i looked in the add-on's data folder the images were actually under 'images/units....' but i wasnt going to edit every .cfg file to fix that. Not sure how this is manages to work on your system :lol2:

I don't know either. Hopefully, the version I just realeased will fix these errors.
tr0ll wrote:Please note i did have fun playing, the battles were balanced and the plot is interesting. This is meant to be objective reporting of errors and constructive feedback - i am not disappointed! I only quit playing for the night because it is bedtime 8)
Glad you like it :)
tr0ll wrote:There are some unclear parts and oddities and lot of typos that could be smoothed with writing and editing. In particular Sgt Alitar is too mouthy for a junior soldier in his first command-level meeting with the great leaders and sages of the kingdom. That he isnt thrown in the dungeons immediately would be more believable if he were in the nobility, e.g. make him some hero unit type like young Konrad was and give him a rank of Lieutenant. I would like to see him get Leadership, at least after he rises past ruffian or footpad level.
He's one of those people who speaks his mind, and doesn't give authority much thought. The arch-magi would normally tell him to mind his manners too, but they find themselves agreeing with what he's saying so they all gang up on Dantair. I do like you're suggestion of him being a lieutenant though.

The Fall of Wesnoth: Version 1.0.2 has been uploaded!
Changes:

Fixed (I hope) a bug making linux and mac users unable to play.
Changed Alitar's unit type (In Prologue) to a Lieutenant.

User avatar
lipk
Developer
Posts: 631
Joined: July 18th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Location: Here and there and everywhere

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.1 is finally here!

Post by lipk » October 11th, 2011, 7:56 pm

I still haven't jumped into the campaign really yet, however, I have some first-glance notes:
1, You haven't updated the thread title :wink:
2, I guess you've changed the campaign's id, since now version 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 are treated as separate add-ons. Means you can't update 1.0.1 to 1.0.2, downloading the latter won't make the former disappear, etc. You can do nothing about that, but you should warn people to manually delete 1.0.1 before installing 1.0.2
3, Custom sprites & portraits still aren't displayed under Linux (please check LeTtEr CaSeS when specifying filepaths!)
4, There are some spelling mistakes in 'Prologue'. I won't pick them out for you, they're obviously mistypes and you can find them yourself - with the only exception of 'happyness' which you're consistently using instead of 'happiness' :wink:
5, 'The Beginning of the End' looks pretty so far, I love the recruit system, but I'm not fully content with the map. Despite there are surely many kinds of terrains, most of them is so scarcely used that it barely catches the player's attention. On such a big map, you could make a full use of 1.9's amazing terrain palette.

Looking forward to play soon, I've found the plot very appealing right since it was firstly posted in Writer's forum :)

User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.2

Post by Pewskeepski » October 11th, 2011, 11:12 pm

lipk wrote:I still haven't jumped into the campaign really yet, however, I have some first-glance notes:
1, You haven't updated the thread title :wink:
Oops :oops:
lipk wrote:2, I guess you've changed the campaign's id, since now version 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 are treated as separate add-ons. Means you can't update 1.0.1 to 1.0.2, downloading the latter won't make the former disappear, etc. You can do nothing about that, but you should warn people to manually delete 1.0.1 before installing 1.0.2
I assume that the version 1.0.1 you speak of has no icon on the server, and is only a couple kilobytes in size? That is the one you want to avoid, and delete manually if you haven't already.
lipk wrote:3, Custom sprites & portraits still aren't displayed under Linux (please check LeTtEr CaSeS when specifying filepaths!)
Forgot to rename the folder to "The_Fall_of_Wesnoth". I hope it works now. I have no way of testing it 'cause I don't have Linux anymore. I used to, but I got rid of it because it was taking up to much space on my hard drive.
4, There are some spelling mistakes in 'Prologue'. I won't pick them out for you, they're obviously mistypes and you can find them yourself - with the only exception of 'happyness' which you're consistently using instead of 'happiness' :wink:
Thanks for pointing those out :)
5, 'The Beginning of the End' looks pretty so far, I love the recruit system, but I'm not fully content with the map. Despite there are surely many kinds of terrains, most of them is so scarcely used that it barely catches the player's attention. On such a big map, you could make a full use of 1.9's amazing terrain palette.
It's suppose to be a tropical island so palm trees are pretty much the only ones I can use. It's also suppose to be dry, not just because it's tropical, but also because of the two suns. This also makes the green grass terrain not fit with the environment. And there's a shortage of village variety because undead and outlaws are the only people on the island, aside from a few other species which you'll meet later ;)

Uploaded a bug-fix version of The Fall of Wesnoth!
Changes:

* Campaign:
  • * Fixed an error causing the campaign to be unplayable for Linux and Mac users
* Prologue:
  • * Changed Alitar's unit type to a Lieutenant.
    * Fixed spelling errors.

User avatar
lipk
Developer
Posts: 631
Joined: July 18th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Location: Here and there and everywhere

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.2

Post by lipk » October 13th, 2011, 9:29 pm

I assume that the version 1.0.1 you speak of has no icon on the server, and is only a couple kilobytes in size? That is the one you want to avoid, and delete manually if you haven't already.
No. I'm speaking of the one with icon and 1.0MB in size.
It's suppose to be a tropical island so palm trees are pretty much the only ones I can use. It's also suppose to be dry, not just because it's tropical, but also because of the two suns. This also makes the green grass terrain not fit with the environment. And there's a shortage of village variety because undead and outlaws are the only people on the island, aside from a few other species which you'll meet later ;)
Using some hexes of green/dry grass among semi-dry wouldn't look unnatural but would definitely spice things up. Same with dry hills/mountains. Check out some maps from After the Storm to catch what I'm trying to say ;)

User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.2

Post by Pewskeepski » October 20th, 2011, 12:38 am

lipk wrote:No. I'm speaking of the one with icon and 1.0MB in size.
Odd. Well, now it's Version 1.0.3 that you want to install.
lipk wrote:Using some hexes of green/dry grass among semi-dry wouldn't look unnatural but would definitely spice things up. Same with dry hills/mountains. Check out some maps from After the Storm to catch what I'm trying to say ;)
Dry mountains and dry grass would work, and, now that I think of it, I used them well in Burning Souls. I've tried them out and they work well :)


Uploaded a new version of The Fall of Wesnoth!
Changes:

* Campaign:
  • * Improved most of the maps
* Foretold Doom:
  • * Minor fixes to the dialog.
    * Made it truely impossible to kill Evad.

Ceres
Forum Regular
Posts: 620
Joined: September 18th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Ceres » October 26th, 2011, 1:46 pm

I really loved the atmosphere of this campaign :D
You really need to proofread all the dialogue though, there're still lots of spelling mistakes (as an example, discribe instead of describe, 07_From_the_Clutches.cfg:208).

And the objectives for "Taking them to the Skies" need to be clarified IMO.
Firstly, I had no idea which leaders I had to kill because "corpse and spirit leader" is not clear at all.
Secondly, blowing up the dam looked like a requirement from the objectives, but checking the code I found the only thing it does is to kill everybody in the way and flood the area. I wasn't even able to blow it up, because a Water Serpent in front and a huge army of Wraiths behind you make the 1-hex-broad passage a death trap. And I was playing on Easiest, mind you.

User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Pewskeepski » October 26th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Ceres wrote:I really loved the atmosphere of this campaign :D
Thanks, glad you liked it :)
Ceres wrote:You really need to proofread all the dialogue though, there're still lots of spelling mistakes (as an example, discribe instead of describe, 07_From_the_Clutches.cfg:208).
Yeah, I really wish I had spellchecker on Notepad++. Is there a way to get it? I'll look into it.
Ceres wrote:And the objectives for "Taking them to the Skies" need to be clarified IMO. Firstly, I had no idea which leaders I had to kill because "corpse and spirit leader" is not clear at all.
Hmm, I would think it'd be pretty obvious as it scrolls to them both before the scenario starts, and the only other enemy leaders are Evad and his Spider Lich. But I guess your right - I think I will change it to "Defeat the Ghast and Spectre leaders".
Ceres wrote:Secondly, blowing up the dam looked like a requirement from the objectives, but checking the code I found the only thing it does is to kill everybody in the way and flood the area.
I myself actually just notice this yesterday and made it clearer :)
Ceres wrote:I wasn't even able to blow it up, because a Water Serpent in front and a huge army of Wraiths behind you make the 1-hex-broad passage a death trap. And I was playing on Easiest, mind you.
I agree that it's too hard. I'll see what I can do about that.

The Great Rings
Posts: 736
Joined: January 26th, 2008, 10:39 pm
Location: On the front line of battle, defying hopeless odds

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by The Great Rings » October 27th, 2011, 4:10 am

Out of curiosity, why are you following Invasion from the Unknown's story? Last I checked, it wasn't mainline. Is it just a campaign you personally like?
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf

User avatar
Pewskeepski
Posts: 353
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: The Dungeon

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth - Version 1.0.3

Post by Pewskeepski » October 27th, 2011, 4:09 pm

The Great Rings wrote:Out of curiosity, why are you following Invasion from the Unknown's story? Last I checked, it wasn't mainline. Is it just a campaign you personally like?
Never played it, actually :P (I just read The Source of Light scenario because I figured it would have info on the fall. And it did.)

Isn't it going mainline? I've heard rumors that suggest it, but I don't know for sure.

Post Reply