The Quest of Wesnoth · Alpha [SP RPG for BfW 1.10.0+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Quest of Wesnoth · Alpha [SP RPG for BfW 1.9.9+]

Post by Crendgrim »

Thanks a lot for your input, that's really appreciated! :)
artisticdude wrote:Actually, I solved that last bit in the last release of my RPG. Now when combat mode is entered, the player's pet moves to his/her side before any hitting is done. I could probably adapt the code so that it moves all units on side 1 to any free space adjacent to the player, but I'd also warn that three units is the absolute maximum amount, otherwise you will start finding that the units appear in the most awkward locations (the code essentially filters the terrain surrounding the player in an ever-expanding radius until it finds a vacant location, but that vacant location could be on the other side of a wall or line of other impassible terrain if the conditions are just so). It's a fine balance between map design and location filtering, and even with that there have been a number of special cases that I needed to patch up (some of which may still be unresolved). For some reason, the code doesn't always seem to check all available vacant hexes in the radius before expanding the radius, but I'm not entirely sure why that is.
I think you misunderstood me; I meant that as an explanation how your system works... and what I'll probably adapt in some way or another. But still thanks for the description of the new idea you coded, that may come in quite handy if I don't want to rely on Wesnoth's core vacant location finding.
artisticdude wrote:The problem for the system I'm using for the movement thing, aside from the sometimes-iffy placement of the units in some cases, is that the game will only be able to auto-save when you end a turn (which will happen mostly only in combat). So the player will either have to manually save the game every now and then, or will have to reload into a combat situation. Personally I feel discarding the autosaves is worth it, but I don't have any player statistics/opinions to back that up, so it's just me.
Why don't you just use [end_turn]?
artisticdude wrote:I'm intrigued by the inventory system so far. Looking forward to being able to play around with that some more in future releases. :)
Implementing items is actually the very next thing I plan to do, though I'm not certain yet when I finish it, as it will be quite a huge task...
artisticdude wrote:Also, IIRC, you said you wanted to use the work-around I cobbled together for selecting NPC's? If so, I suggest implementing it before too much longer, otherwise it'll take a lot more work to switch the current system out. Oh, and the NPC's should now stay blue when you select them in 1.9.10 (or 1.10, whichever happens next), since the previously broken TC_OVERRIDE macro is now fixed in trunk. ^_^
The way my dialogue works now guarantees that I can change it rather easily. I didn't use your workaround yet a) because I didn't find enough time, and b) because I need the combat mode to be finished first, for I am not sure whether I want dialogues to be triggered normally in combat. But yeah, that's also one thing at the top of my TODO list. ;)
I still hoped for alink to reappear and have a look at the select events, but it seems that he doesn't have any time for Wesnoth at the moment. So I'm stuck with your workaround for now.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

I started playing it, and I got to the quest where I have to find the delivery man. I found a dead body and a wagon south of the village, and nothing happened? Is that as far as the campaign goes?

Anyway, it's really cool looking. I like what the inventory system looks like a lot.
Timshel
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

That is not what should have happened, there actually is a small part after it. :? I assume you're playing the latest version of the campaign? (and BfW 1.9.9 or some trunk version?)
Did you see two wolves around there? If yes, were there any dialogue?
And, what does your quest log say now?

That side quest seems to always have bugs, no matter how many I fix. :(

Crend
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

I'm playing Wesnoth 1.9.9, I downloaded the campaign yesterday. There were no wolves. My questlog says "Look what happened to the delivery man".

Side note: I think "Look what happened to the delivery man should be "Find out what happened to the delivery man".
Timshel
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Now that is weird. May you post a savegame? I cannot reproduce that error; for me the wolves do show up and the dialogues and quests are triggered as expected. :?
Regarding your side note, thanks. That sounds a lot better, and is done in my local trunk.

Crend
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Alright, I tried it a second time, and I chose no tutorial this time. When that peasant walked up to the doorway and asked me to visit the blacksmith, it came up with an error in the corner, something like an unsupported tag. I walked up to the door, and it came up with a different error in the corner, I disappeared, and the scenario ended in defeat. :hmm:

I tried a second time, and it worked fine. I went directly to the delivery man this time (The first time i tried, I went east, my pet wolf appeared, I went across the river, then south and west), and the wolves were there. This time my pet did not appear on leaving the village, like it did the first time. So I killed the wolves, and it told me to go back and tell the blacksmith, which I haven't done.
Timshel
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

uncleshelby wrote:Alright, I tried it a second time, and I chose no tutorial this time. When that peasant walked up to the doorway and asked me to visit the blacksmith, it came up with an error in the corner, something like an unsupported tag. I walked up to the door, and it came up with a different error in the corner, I disappeared, and the scenario ended in defeat. :hmm:
No idea what that was. It doesn't happen anymore, right?
Or can anyone else verify this bug?
uncleshelby wrote:I tried a second time, and it worked fine. I went directly to the delivery man this time (The first time i tried, I went east, my pet wolf appeared, I went across the river, then south and west), and the wolves were there. This time my pet did not appear on leaving the village, like it did the first time. So I killed the wolves, and it told me to go back and tell the blacksmith, which I haven't done.
Yeah, when the pet appears is a bit weird: You have to stand on a wood hex with three adjacent wood hexes. I definitely have to rework that. ;)
But it's good that it eventually worked, yet I'd still like to know what caused the other bugs...

Crend
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

It could have just been a bug in Wesnoth, not your campaign. I think that's most likely, that it was having a read error. But yeah, everything works now.

EDIT: Are the hunters supposed to come south with me? Are there supposed to be wolves a "Short distance south"? There weren't any, and the hunters didn't move.
Timshel
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

uncleshelby:
Oh sorry, I didn't see that you edited your post. Yeah, I didn't implement the story further yet.

artisticdude:
Okay, alink was on IRC the other day which allowed some discussion about the select event issue. If I understand everything and everyone correctly, there may be a click event in some future version of Wesnoth (which would allow registering clicks on any hex, being occupied by a unit or not). However, the chance this will happen in 1.10 is very low, so I may implement something alike you have, or keep with the context menu thing.
For now, I only implemented combat- and no-combat-modes similar to what you have. Thanks a lot for that idea. :)

And this also allows me to announce the new version:

Quest of Wesnoth 0.0.6 just went onto the server!
Changelog

Code: Select all

Quest of Wesnoth 0.0.6
> implemented combat system
> minor language correction (thanks to uncleshelby)
> on getting and paying gold there is now a floating text above Raddin
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Crendgrim wrote:artisticdude:
Okay, alink was on IRC the other day which allowed some discussion about the select event issue. If I understand everything and everyone correctly, there may be a click event in some future version of Wesnoth (which would allow registering clicks on any hex, being occupied by a unit or not). However, the chance this will happen in 1.10 is very low, so I may implement something alike you have, or keep with the context menu thing.
For now, I only implemented combat- and no-combat-modes similar to what you have.
Sweet! :D Then I won't be forced to using crude hacks. Though it's a pity the feature most likely won't make it in time for the next stable cycle.
Crendgrim wrote:I think you misunderstood me; I meant that as an explanation how your system works... and what I'll probably adapt in some way or another. But still thanks for the description of the new idea you coded, that may come in quite handy if I don't want to rely on Wesnoth's core vacant location finding.
Oh, okay, then I misread your post. :) And actually I stole the location-finding bit from UTBS (it's used to place the Dark Assassin as close as possible to Kaleh in whichever scenario that happens in) and modified it to suit my needs, so I can't take much credit for that part. :whistle:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I actually just used the power of [move_unit] so far, as that seems to work nicely. Do you have any scenario where the automatic placement may fail?
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Crendgrim wrote:I actually just used the power of [move_unit] so far, as that seems to work nicely. Do you have any scenario where the automatic placement may fail?
Hm. In my project I used [teleport] so the player doesn't have to wait for the other units in the group to catch up with him/her (which is further aggravated by the fact that ATM the game will only move one unit at a time instead of moving multiple units at once), they just blip from one location to another as soon as the main unit moves to a new hex. :hmm: Of course it might not be so much of an issue if you have only one extra unit besides the main character, but even then having to constantly wait for your protege to catch up to you before you can move further could eventually get annoying.

If I understand your question correctly (sorry, I've been out driving all afternoon and my comprehensive skills aren't at their sharpest): As long as there is at least one empty hex on the map not already occupied by a unit (regardless of the unit's side), the automatic placement should work fine. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

• Even though movement restoring when moving prevents autosaving, ending the turn on every move can get rather cumbersome and time-consuming, especially in the village, where you'll find a villager standing around every five hexes stopping movement and ending the turn. Just throwing in my opinion. An option to turn that off, as Anonymissimus suggested, would be nice.
  • Apparently I found the delivery guy before seeing him, since the wolf is attacking and faster than me. He was just 1 hex out of sight, but still. Maybe you should check with [filter_vision] whether the player has seen him.
  • The inventory auto-opening every time I move on (or even just across) an item hex is kinda tedious.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Thanks for both your input. :)
artisticdude wrote:Hm. In my project I used [teleport] so the player doesn't have to wait for the other units in the group to catch up with him/her (which is further aggravated by the fact that ATM the game will only move one unit at a time instead of moving multiple units at once), they just blip from one location to another as soon as the main unit moves to a new hex. :hmm: Of course it might not be so much of an issue if you have only one extra unit besides the main character, but even then having to constantly wait for your protege to catch up to you before you can move further could eventually get annoying.
Oh, right. I didn't think yet about the time issue. I guess I'll mark this in the code and see how it feels like once there is more content, and you have to move more...
artisticdude wrote:If I understand your question correctly (sorry, I've been out driving all afternoon and my comprehensive skills aren't at their sharpest): As long as there is at least one empty hex on the map not already occupied by a unit (regardless of the unit's side), the automatic placement should work fine. :)
Okay. Well, my question was based on the assumption that you didn't like [move_unit] because of some inaccuracy, which has proved to be wrong.
Ceres wrote:Even though movement restoring when moving prevents autosaving, ending the turn on every move can get rather cumbersome and time-consuming, especially in the village, where you'll find a villager standing around every five hexes stopping movement and ending the turn. Just throwing in my opinion. An option to turn that off, as Anonymissimus suggested, would be nice.
Right! That I totally forgot. I already found it annoying when the automatic turn ending was not implemented, so I turned "stop on friendly units sighted" off in the options. Now I'm not sure if I'd advise the player to do so as well, or if I should code the whole thing differently. Going to look through the wiki today, to find some nice ideas. :)
Ceres wrote:Apparently I found the delivery guy before seeing him, since the wolf is attacking and faster than me. He was just 1 hex out of sight, but still. Maybe you should check with [filter_vision] whether the player has seen him.
Sigh. There must be one or two hexes where this happens. Will probably be solved in 0.0.7.
Besides, I may include some dialogue (like "Hey, look, there are some wolves over there!") so it "feels" better.
Ceres wrote:The inventory auto-opening every time I move on (or even just across) an item hex is kinda tedious.
It should only open if you move on it, not across it. Well, admittedly the inventory is something I didn't work on for some time (as I had many crashes with it), so it's not too elaborated. I guess I'll just remove the auto opening, and let it only trigger by the context menu.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Quest of Wesnoth 0.0.7 just went onto the server!

This version addresses most of what Ceres mentioned, and includes a new wooden wall terrain.
Changelog

Quest of Wesnoth 0.0.7
> New terrain: Wooden walls, used now in most village houses
> Implemented dialogue upon meeting the wolves
> Made wolves passive until the player sees them
> Removed automatic opening of inventory on walking on certain hexes
> Made the right-click inventory option also take care of hexes where items may be stored later
> Instead of ending the users turn upon moving in non-combat mode, we just increase the turn number and restore the leaders' movepoints
EDIT:
Ah, I knew I forgot something.
Changelog

Quest of Wesnoth 0.0.7a
> Restore also the movepoints of other units on side 1