Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Post by mattsc »

Edit 19 May 2018: Both parts are now on the 1.12 and 1.14 add-on servers, and the Russian translation was added in version 2.3.0

"All his life, puny little goblin Grnk the Frail had been dreaming about leaving the orcs and starting a better life. When he finally arrives in the human town of Shmaltupp, he realizes that the world is not as black and white as he had imagined. He also discovers that he is no ordinary goblin. Follow Grnk the Frail on his path to becoming Grnk the Mighty.
Version 1.0.0
Part 1 of 2, 13 scenarios. Single player campaign with RPG elements. Requires BfW 1.9.5 or later." [Available now on the add-ons server.]

This is my second campaign and I've been trying to do things somewhat differently than in my first. It has a bunch of RPG elements (although it is certainly not a true RPG). Therefore, it's somewhat heavy on the story side with an emphasis on figuring out how to get through a scenario, rather than on big battles. Well, that's the intent at least ... There are also some scenarios in which things like gold and healing are dealt with in a "non-standard" way, although I believe this is always explained, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

If you are mostly interested in big battle scenarios and building large armies of experienced troops, this campaign is probably not what you are looking for. It does have a couple larger battles (and almost all scenarios contain battles of some sort) and of course there is some army building involved, but Grnk is allied with a lot of different sides throughout the campaign and there are quite a few variations on running scenarios.

Any comments or suggestions for improvements, additions, bug fixes etc. will be much appreciated also. Thanks!!

PS: Part 2 is probably going to be more of a standard BfW campaign, but please don't expect it anytime soon. It takes me forever to write these things. I also need a break from Grnk. I'd like to do some other things for a little, like playing other people's campaigns for example.

PS2: Part 1 as uploaded is complete, but there's still lots of work that could be done on it. In particular, you will notice that graphics are not exactly a strength of mine.
Last edited by mattsc on April 1st, 2012, 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
figl569

Re: New campaign: Grnk the Mighty (BfW 1.9)

Post by figl569 »

hello I ve played the campaing and I must say that it s interesting but have some bugs...first one I think think that the scenario-Flight is much hard becaouse i ve played on easy and still when I play for bandit leader I dont have enought unit to defend the fortress.

second In scenario-Captured when I ve mett Getrburt he have 1hitpoint,was poisoned and cannot move in first turn.

and the last one in scenario-escape I think that u should specife where the boat will be becaouse saying in north part of island is useless-dont know if I should defend fortres or ford (both on northren part of island)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
figl569 wrote:hello I ve played the campaing and I must say that it s interesting but have some bugs...first one I think think that the scenario-Flight is much hard becaouse i ve played on easy and still when I play for bandit leader I dont have enought unit to defend the fortress.
Spoiler:
figl569 wrote:second In scenario-Captured when I ve mett Getrburt he have 1hitpoint,was poisoned and cannot move in first turn.
Oops! That's not good. I'll look into this. Could you tell me whether in scenario 'Mercenaries', you went with Rutburt or back to Shmaltupp?
figl569 wrote:and the last one in scenario-escape I think that u should specife where the boat will be becaouse saying in north part of island is useless-dont know if I should defend fortres or ford (both on northren part of island)
Spoiler:
Thanks, again, I really appreciate you taking the time to make these comments!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

I think I found the bug that caused the problem at the beginning of 'Captured'. It should be fixed. And while I was at it, I also made some wording changes concerning the other two points you raised, that hopefully will make it clearer what Grnk's supposed to do. v1.0.1 has been uploaded.

Thanks again!
Max

Post by Max »

you just - i guess accidentally - uploaded a second add-on. 1.0.1 uses a different folder: Grnk-local
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Ah, crap! Sorry for that. I'm away from my computer right now, will fix this in an hour or so!
luxury

Post by luxury »

play on hard level
wesnoth 1.9.8
there is a game crash
the scenario 'prunes' did not start:

game_error:creating unit with an empty type field

P.S..... very good campaign, i like it :)
but i think first scenario seems a bit hard in the second half
It was the only scenario where i needed to use the debug mode!!!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

luxury wrote:there is a game crash
the scenario 'prunes' did not start:

game_error:creating unit with an empty type field
Hmm, that could mean a number of things, for example, that the leader of a side didn't carry over correctly; but it could be a bunch of other things too. Could you send me the very first savefile for that scenario: Grnk-Prunes.gz ?
luxury wrote:P.S..... very good campaign, i like it :)
Thanks!! :D
luxury wrote:but i think first scenario seems a bit hard in the second half
It was the only scenario where i needed to use the debug mode!!!
Spoiler:
figl569

Post by figl569 »

I ve found a new bug in scenareio wizards when Gertburt arived and he got stealth from wysaba it seems that stealth is funciton enemy units normaly attacks him and it wasnt beoause the ve just get 1hey naer him(or I just do nt know why they should go int omidle of mountains there were no vilage by this direction no my other unit)

Oops! That's not good. I'll look into this. Could you tell me whether in scenario 'Mercenaries', you went with Rutburt or back to Shmaltupp?

I dont know if u still need to knew it when u ve corected it but i ve got back to shmaltupp
Kewltist

Post by Kewltist »

so how are you supposed to get the goblins thru to the gryphons? It's like th middle of the pass that you are supposed to hold and... i couldn't hold it .( (on normal, too many orcs advanced too fast and the mountainy terrain wasnt really helping me more than dem)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hello again. Thanks for the new feedback!

That's strange, I've never had a problem with the stealth mode. To look into this, you could either send me the savefile from the turn just before this happens, or you could do it yourself using debug mode:
- type ':debug' to enter debug mode (if you're not in it already).
- type ':droid 4' - that will change Rutburt's side to player control
- end Grnk's turn, which should put you in control of Rutburt's side. Now, if everything works as it should, Gertburt should not be visible to you until you move a unit next to where he is. (I just tested this on my computer, and that's what happens)

You can also do ':droid X' with X=2,5,6 for Mal An's, Koorzhar's and Karcyn's sides, to test whether it works (or not) for all of the enemy sides. Let me know what you find, or send me the savefile and I'll do it. Thanks!!
figl569 wrote:I dont know if u still need to knew it when u ve corected it but i ve got back to shmaltupp
Thanks. It confirms that I found (and hopefully fixed) the bug.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Kewltist wrote:so how are you supposed to get the goblins thru to the gryphons? It's like th middle of the pass that you are supposed to hold and... i couldn't hold it .( (on normal, too many orcs advanced too fast and the mountainy terrain wasnt really helping me more than dem)
EDIT: As of v1.0.3, the following description does not apply any more. In that version, the terrain and gold got changed to make it a different, and hopefully more interesting (and easier), battle.
Here's how I do it (I don't know if this is the only or the best way -- maybe somebody who's a better player than I will find a better way -- but this generally works for me):
Spoiler:
Does that make sense? Does it help? If you want, I can post a few screen grabs or my replay file.

By the way, let me emphasize that I am not trying to claim that the scenario is not too hard. If the consensus is that this is too hard this way, I'll be happy to change it. Right now I am just trying to collect the information to decide if and how to make it easier. So, thanks to everybody for the comments on this.
Last edited by mattsc on September 18th, 2011, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luxury

Post by luxury »

luxury wrote:game_error:creating unit with an empty type field
mattsc wrote:Hmm, that could mean a number of things, for example, that the leader of a side didn't carry over correctly; but it could be a bunch of other things too. Could you send me the very first savefile for that scenario: Grnk-Prunes.gz ?
this is the first savefile:
Attachments
Grnk-Prunes.gz
(39.85 KiB) Downloaded 1092 times
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hey! Thanks! I think I figured out what the problem is:
Spoiler:
Alright, so I know how to fix this in the previous scenario. In the meantime, I inserted him back into the savefile attached below (so don't be surprised if you might encounter him again in the future). You should be able to use this to continue playing from here.

Thanks for posting this! This is something I really had not anticipated (which is great!).
Attachments
Grnk-Prunes-luxury.gz
(40.86 KiB) Downloaded 1121 times
figl569

Post by figl569 »

here s the save
Attachments
turn_before.gz
(149.69 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times