Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Grnk the Mighty (BfW 1.9)

Post by Alarantalara »

Do you have Local time of day areas turned on? (It's in the advanced settings)

mattsc: you may need to mention that it needs to be on if you're using it to provide important information.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Alarantalara wrote:mattsc: you may need to mention that it needs to be on if you're using it to provide important information.
Oops! I had completely forgotten about that option. If I turn it off, there's indeed no change visible. So in this scenario, I will look for a different way of marking the area. However, in Shadows, it is necessary for the story, so I'll have to put in a note there.

rmj: Did you see the lit area around the beacons in Shadows? I guess it is possible to play it without actually seeing it, but I imagine it is a lot harder. That might explain why you had trouble at first figuring out what the beacons did.
rmj wrote:Mal An is here. I killed him with Grnk and the mermen in the previous scenario.
Yes, but he should have said something like "You cannot kill me this easily" and disappeared. At least I thought I fixed that bug. I'll check again.
rmj wrote:I am wondering if it is possible to kill Mal An with the three gryphons during the daytime.
I've tried and never succeeded. You're not supposed to be able to do that.
rmj

Post by rmj »

Did you see the lit area around the beacons in Shadows?
Yes, it was clear which hexes were illuminated.
he should have said something like "You cannot kill me this easily"
Perhaps he did, but that was two scenarios back and I don't recall.
Do you have Local time of day areas turned on? (It's in the advanced settings)
Don't know what that is. It is not something I would have changed from the default setting.

I am still on Wizards which keeps beating me, although I think I am now on track to beat it. It is too difficult for Normal play. It requires a good overall strategy, as well as good particular strategy. An additional problem is that I am prone to get impatient in long scenarios and make moves hoping for the best. Normal mode, in my opinion, does require knowledge of all possible strategies, that's for difficult and nightmare levels. In evidence of this I can say that I have beaten all the mainline campaigns unaware that Mages of Light change the time of day for neighboring units, and as well as I was not being very attentive to resistances.

The objectives screen that appears after Rutbert has been converted to the good side still says to move Gerburt next to Rutbert.

Here are a few gripes that you can ignore:
1. When the ghosts appear they are too far away from the action.
2. When Grnk uses the prunes and teleports a unit, they are soon back in the fray.
3. Karcyn and Koozhar's original units have experience points. This is unanticipated. It is rather frustrating to attack a unit and find that instead of weakening it, it has leveled up.
4. Just show the peasants appearing instead of each one making a walk-on.
5. I want Rutburt to be able to recruit all level two units.

And as a last point in regard to its difficulty:
Luck is large a part of this scenario and it is against you. A Deathblade hitting four out of five will kill, or at least take out of the game for a half dozen turns any of the advanced magi. A mage going three for three or four for four is helpful, but an advanced mage going zero for three or four is dire.

I don't think I mentioned that I enjoyed the chaos of Chaos. Still, I would suggest reducing the chaos and perhaps having two or three more turns where nothing unusual happens.

Hmm, I guess when I finish Wizards, I am done.
rmj
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

rmj: thanks for all the comments, they are very helpful. For me, balancing is one of the most difficult parts of writing campaigns. "Wizards" is supposed to be hard (actually hard, not just kind of hard), that's intentional, but I think I already said earlier in this thread that I might have overdone it a little. I might have some time in the coming week to implement all the changes I want to make, this being one of them.

The part that I do not agree with is that you need luck to win this scenario. I mean, of course luck plays a role in Wesnoth, but this scenario is not set up so that you will lose if not all attacks go perfectly or you make a couple individual mistakes. There are so many attacks in this scenario that by necessity some of them will be lucky, and some will be unlucky.

Using one of the examples you bring up, a mage with a 70% chance to hit has a 2.7% probability of missing all 3 of his hits. So, roughly 1 out of every 40 attacks will be of the 3-misses kind. In a scenario with many 100s of attacks such as Wizards, this will happen a few times and you need to take it into account. You won't lose Wizards if you lose a couple of the high level mages throughout the scenario, but if you lose too many of them too early, you're likely in trouble. Anyways, you probably know all this, I am not trying to lecture you on how to play. The point I am trying to make (probably not very well) is that I don't think that you need luck to win Wizards (but it is difficult, I agree with that, and I'll look into that again). However, when you say that you sometimes become impatient (a tendency I share, btw), that might be a problem. The scenario is specifically (and again intentionally) set up so that you have to play it carefully and (within limits) defensively.
rmj wrote:The objectives screen that appears after Rutbert has been converted to the good side still says to move Gerburt next to Rutbert.
I'll check that out. I tried to set it up so that that doesn't happen, but there are a lot of different orders in which things can happen, so I probably missed one. If you could send me a savefile from just before you move them next to each other, that would make debugging this easier.
rmj wrote:Here are a few gripes that you can ignore:
I won't ignore them. I'll think about them carefully, but I likely won't change all of them. :)
rmj wrote:I don't think I mentioned that I enjoyed the chaos of Chaos. Still, I would suggest reducing the chaos and perhaps having two or three more turns where nothing unusual happens.
Thanks. Yeah, I've thought about doing that myself. There's a reason why I didn't (and I could give another long rambling explanation of it), but I think I'll just leave it at that and say that I'll think about it.

Thanks again for taking the time to write down all of these comments! It's much appreciated and very helpful.
klein_atuin

Post by klein_atuin »

hm, strange this thread stopped in december - didn't see a new one for 1.10.
anyway: started it the first time now on 1.10, medium.

very nice character and dialogues!

since i'm curious about the story i'm playing with failsaves right now, but although there's already one thing about balancing:
it's about the welldiscussed 2nd scenario (treasure) having no round limit (now?).

because losing loyal companions just at the start of the first adventure (with those) is a horrible idea to me, i hated to run past the woodsmen after recruiting only once, trying to be fast enough to sneak away with the treasure.
looking for an alternative i found it even easier (!) to turn the whole scene into a kill all battle. it's even possible without full recruiting so that there's positive income till the very end - that therefor only appears when you get to bored of letting faulorn recruit single sacrifices to your exp every night...
sure you know the story and i don't think it was your intention.

after levelling grnk and his companions and earning some 2000,- or so, even shadows was trivial.

on the other hand, riding a wolf and losing my 56 hp is quite hurting now ;)

a time limit sure is the easiest way to prevent it, but having an alternative to sacrificing valuable loyal units (battle instead running) would be pretty nice, so maybe the better way would be to make sure income becomes negative, or add some unbeatable reinforcement on faulorn's side (the first returning troops may be the advance guard).

btw. i expected having a choice between joining bandits or the army - but that doesn't seem so. so i'll just mount that wolf now and fight poor bridgeguards...

looking forward the further adventures of grnk, thanks for the nice 'little' guy
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Any hints for first mission? I've tried multiple times.
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

klein_atuin (are you a turtle?):

Thanks much for the feedback!
klein_atuin wrote:hm, strange this thread stopped in december - didn't see a new one for 1.10.
anyway: started it the first time now on 1.10, medium.
I assume the thread stopped because most people who want to play the campaign have done so. Also, I don't have as much time for Wesnoth as I'd like right now and am spending what I have mostly on other things. So, unfortunately, updates are slow and Part 2 is a long way off.

The 1.9 and 1.10 versions are identical (in fact, the add-ons server is the same), I'll update the thread title.
klein_atuin wrote:very nice character and dialogues!
Thanks!
klein_atuin wrote:since i'm curious about the story i'm playing with failsaves right now, but although there's already one thing about balancing:
[...]
sure you know the story and i don't think it was your intention.
Wow, yes, that was indeed not my intention! Thanks for pointing this out and for your suggestions to fix it. I'll have to see in practice how those would work out.
klein_atuin wrote:because losing loyal companions just at the start of the first adventure (with those) is a horrible idea to me
Sorry.... :twisted: I am using loyal units somewhat unconventionally here, I guess. For story line reasons, they are the units that don't get paid for their duties, but share the bounty at the end. In the scenario(s), I implemented that by making them loyal (because that means no upkeep), but didn't mean them to be particularly special otherwise (as far as the story goes).
mattsc wrote:on the other hand, riding a wolf and losing my 56 hp is quite hurting now ;)
:twisted: (again; and you can expect a few more twists in the story)
klein_atuin wrote:btw. i expected having a choice between joining bandits or the army - but that doesn't seem so. so i'll just mount that wolf now and fight poor bridgeguards...
Spoiler:
klein_atuin wrote:looking forward the further adventures of grnk, thanks for the nice 'little' guy
Thank you for the feedback!

tribes45:
tribes45 wrote:Any hints for first mission? I've tried multiple times.
Spoiler:
Hope this helps. Let me know if this is enough or if I should provide more details on any of this.
klein_atuin

Post by klein_atuin »

mattsc wrote:klein_atuin (are you a turtle?)
well, my big sister is.

thanks for the kind reply, hope you'll find the time for part 2.
Boldek

Re: Grnk the Mighty (BfW 1.9/1.10)

Post by Boldek »

On the scenario 'Trap' The game crashed due to 'empty terrain' or something. Playing this on 1.9.10.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Boldek wrote:On the scenario 'Trap' The game crashed due to 'empty terrain' or something. Playing this on 1.9.10.
That's strange. I have never seen that, and I just started the scenario with 1.9.10 and had no problems. Could you send me the last savefile you have before this happens, plus instructions what to do to get it to crash? Thanks!
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Thanks for the help!
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

mattsc wrote:
Boldek wrote:On the scenario 'Trap' The game crashed due to 'empty terrain' or something. Playing this on 1.9.10.

That's strange. I have never seen that, and I just started the scenario with 1.9.10 and had no problems. Could you send me the last savefile you have before this happens, plus instructions what to do to get it to crash? Thanks!
Here's the savefile for the scenario:

I'm not reallty sure how I got them. I simply won the scenario. I then tried going back to shmaltupp and joining the rogues, but they went to the same buggy scenario as the soldiers.

edit: I tried the save again, and it said 'error: creating unit with empty 'type' field.'

EDIT It turns out that was due to some extensive debugging, the scenario works now. :D
Thanks.
Attachments
Grnk-Trap.gz
(29.72 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Boldek, I'm glad to know that you got it figured out. Thanks for the feedback, it made me aware of something that needs fixing!
Annalise

Post by Annalise »

On Escape there is no visible sign post so I have no idea where I have to place grnk in the pass to end the scenario. Trial and error doesn't seem to be working D:
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Annalise wrote:On Escape there is no visible sign post so I have no idea where I have to place grnk in the pass to end the scenario. Trial and error doesn't seem to be working D:
There should be a signpost at (67,11). If that's not there for you, and/or moving there doesn't end the scenario, could you send me an close-to-the-end savefile and I'll have a look what's going on? Thanks.