Return to Noelren 0.7.6

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rmj

Re: Return to Noelren - a single player campaign

Post by rmj »

At the end of the first scenario I got an error message. In scenario 2 (15) you list the unit type as Tiomen_1 when it should be Tiomen-1.
rmj
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

OK, thanks... :oops:

EDIT
Version 0.2.1 has been posted to fix the issue.
Last edited by pyrophorus on January 28th, 2012, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
rmj

Post by rmj »

A few comments:

Sc.2 (15): Too much moving between action; thus it is rather dull. Perhaps add a bit
more dialog for the lady with pendant and man with ax; they were gone almost as soon as they appeared; I assume the pendant and axe will have some meaning in the future, and if so, it would be welcome to know something of these two other than their names, which I don't remember.

Sc.3 (18): Unclear objectives. I destroyed the keep but did not win. So I blew up the forest that remained after burning it down. Then I figured out I had to kill the ghost as well.
There is no mention of the ability to set the forest afire except in the hints.
Also is it intended that one can recruit Lestiviel at the town keep?
Tiomen's bow attack has no animation.

Sc.4 (20): I stopped half way through. When I attempted to resume, all save
files were corrupt; must start over from previous scenario (which means replay all of it).
rmj
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Many thanks for your comments and feedback !
rmj wrote:A few comments:
Sc.2 (15): Too much moving between action; thus it is rather dull. Perhaps add a bit
more dialog for the lady with pendant and man with ax; they were gone almost as soon as they appeared; I assume the pendant and axe will have some meaning in the future, and if so, it would be welcome to know something of these two other than their names, which I don't remember.
Yes, someone else made the same comment. I'll reduce the size of the map in next version. About characters and objects, well, I don't say much on purpose. Things will be made clear later.
rmj wrote:Sc.3 (18): Unclear objectives. I destroyed the keep but did not win. So I blew up the forest that remained after burning it down. Then I figured out I had to kill the ghost as well.
There is no mention of the ability to set the forest afire except in the hints.
OK, maybe I should make a bit of dialog here.
rmj wrote: Also is it intended that one can recruit Lestiviel at the town keep?
I wonder how you managed to do that! :D The mayor should'nt move from the keep. Unless you were close enough to him and he was converted to side 1 ?
Anyway, you're right. I haven't pay much attention to recall lists management, and I plan to improve this in next version.
rmj wrote:Tiomen's bow attack has no animation.
That's right, and some other characters have wrong or no animation, bad sprites or portraits. I plan to fix all this later, when all the scenarios will be finished. Unless someone volunteers to help me ! :D
rmj wrote: Sc.4 (20): I stopped half way through. When I attempted to resume, all save
files were corrupt; must start over from previous scenario (which means replay all of it).
That's really bad. If you still have one of these corrupt files, it would be very kind of yours to put it here.

Friendly,
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

pyrophorus wrote:
rmj wrote: Sc.4 (20): I stopped half way through. When I attempted to resume, all save
That's really bad. If you still have one of these corrupt files, it would be very kind of yours to put it here.
I'm only guessing, but from what I read here, this may be the problem:
rmj wrote:At the end of the first scenario I got an error message. In scenario 2 (15) you list the unit type as Tiomen_1 when it should be Tiomen-1.
Hyphens in the IDs cause errors like that, or at least they used to and one of the developers made it clear that he felt that was right and proper. So don't use hyphens, except for filenames.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

doofus-01 wrote:I'm only guessing, but from what I read here, this may be the problem:
rmj wrote:At the end of the first scenario I got an error message. In scenario 2 (15) you list the unit type as Tiomen_1 when it should be Tiomen-1.
Hyphens in the IDs cause errors like that, or at least they used to and one of the developers made it clear that he felt that was right and proper. So don't use hyphens, except for filenames.
Yes, you're probably right. I encountered a lot of problems using hypens or minus signs in IDs. I changed all them to spaces (with quotes like "Tiomen 2") but alas, not completely.
Thanks for your reply.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I have no clue how to win even the first level. I remember I had downloaded the campaign for a previous version of Wesnoth and then deleted it out of frustration at not knowing what to do. It looks very likely I will do the same again.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

@MRDNRA

Please note that you can't win the first scenario. The orcish raid will definitely kill you and all inhappitants.
But you survive heavily wounded. This is part of the story and you shouldn't loose the game if you die.

This is the way pyrophorus tells a story, even if he sometimes didn't expect my/or other players creative solutions :-D.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I found a way to win. Thanks for your assistance. It turned out there was something appearing near where I spawned after I "died" and if that was attacked it resulted in defeat.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Heindal wrote:@MRDNRA
This is the way pyrophorus tells a story, even if he sometimes didn't expect my/or other players creative solutions :-D.
Yeah, and this is a part of the fun (for me !).
MRDNRA wrote:I found a way to win. Thanks for your assistance. It turned out there was something appearing near where I spawned after I "died" and if that was attacked it resulted in defeat.
You're right. It happened to me last week too. A hidden unit is spawned when hero dies in order to avoid defeat. If an orc attack this unit and kill it, you're really defeated (and shouldn't).
In newer version, I have moved this unit out of reach of any orc (and I will give it 1000 hitpoints to make sure ! :D )
MRDNRA wrote:deleted it out of frustration
I hope you'll post here next time, before quitting out of frustration !

Friendly,
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Don't worry, I played a few more scenarios, just to see a bit of the story line. Quite like it, am going to go back from the beginning at some point in a serious attempt at it. :) Am interested in finding out how the story turns out.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Thanks ! I hope you'll enjoy it and to see a bit of comment if you have some !

For now, the campaign will be complete rather soon, but needs many adjustments, and feedbacks are very important to know what to improve !

Friendly,
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Can't seem to get past the level "errands". Have killed all enemies on the last world to get to Noelren but I move to the edge of the map and it's not giving me victory, and also it was still displaying the hint from the previous world on it.

Just to say, this particular scenario is brilliantly executed, even if rather frustrating moving such a large number of units through difficult terrain.

Edit: just made it, I wasn't aware I needed to move the caravan to the edge of the map but just moved it there anyway.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

MRDNRA wrote: Just to say, this particular scenario is brilliantly executed, even if rather frustrating moving such a large number of units through difficult terrain.
That's my opinion too ! :lol2:
Actually, it was very satisfying to me to design this scenario and make it work, but it is probably too long. I can:
- program less worlds (two or three only).
- give the player a choice between long and short version.
- change the maps to make them more 'walkable'.
- something else I don't think of...
Or a mix of these options. I would be glad to have your opinion on this.

Thanks for playing the campaign and your comments !

BTW, I hope to publish a complete version of the campaign for 1.10 in a week or two (with all yet missing scenarios). It shall disable savegames, but I plan to give a direct access to second part (the "Returning home" scenario).
pyrophorus

Re: Return to Noelren 0.5 - now complete

Post by pyrophorus »

The campaign has for now 25 scenarios (38 including cut scenes and multiple files scenarios) in beta version, fully playable and (hopefully) bugfree.

--- 0.5.0 -- Wesnoth 1.10 minimum (some new terrains are used only, so maybe latest 1.9.xx could work, untested).
Eigth scenarios added. The campaign is now complete.

A full code revision has been done, so unfortunately, savegames will not work. Anyway, an opening dialog has been set, allowing to begin directly the campaign on second part (Returning home).
Todo list (in priority order):
- Improving Gryphon Mountains and Battle for Weldyn with new features.
- Review units, advancements and difficulty levels (testers help is welcome).
- Improve graphics (sprites and portraits, artists help is welcome).
- Review texts and dialogs (native english speakers help is welcome).
- Some more graphics on maps.

Have fun !