Return to Noelren 0.7.6

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tribes45

Re: Return to Noelren 0.5 - now complete

Post by tribes45 »

Thanks, I finally get to continue this journey :)
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Okay, just wanted to say,
On the scenario "Too elefensar" (Sorry can't spell.)

It says that Lestivel can fly over water, but she can't.

And any tips? Honestly the only way it seems is going with the path of over land. and using the units elemental s for distractions.

I don't believe this is a bug, but when Tiomen dies you don't lose.

P.S LOVING THE CAMPAIGN. Wulfie has a trident :)

Alnoth island has infinite turns, and gold caryover bonus.. Fyi :D
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

tribes45 wrote:P.S LOVING THE CAMPAIGN. Wulfie has a trident :)
Great ! I think I will *NOT* prevent it to get one. It's a really funny idea.

Thanks for the report. As you can see, there are still many little things working not yet as they should. I'll fix this in the next version.

Friendly,
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi Pyrophorus-- Wulfie got a trident... what a smart wolf! Wish I'd thought of that.

I've finished the whole campaign, using a mix of 0.5.2, 0.5.3, & 0.5.4; also BfW 1.10.0 and winXP with SP3.

I'm impressed! Very different from the usual BfW slug-fest. The story holds together well, and there are multiple things going on at the same time. Very nice. Not everyone will like it, but I see your intent, and I think you pulled it off well. There are times when one or more characters seem to silently lose some of their max HP & max XP, but it's not serious enough to really hamper your progress. No-one got killed because of it. But it is aggravating, if you've been feeding XP to Tiomen, to have him stripped of it a few minutes later. The cfg files seem to (mostly) use individual variables to save each of the heroes. You probably need to re-visit all those files, and make sure that you are *always* saving the heroes as you intended. Many units have that happen at the start of part 2; maybe just explain it there, or warn the player that so much time has passed that all of the players have taken on new experience levels.
Spoiler:
"Errands" is one of the scenarios where Tiomen lost some max HP & max XP.
Also in "Errands," a strip of hexes on the right side of merman-world was unshrouded; seems like a mistake.
Spoiler:
"Finding Allies" gave me trouble.
Spoiler:
In "Gryphon_Mountain" there was a lesson to be learned:
Spoiler:
In "Battle for Noelren" I was surprised that Garard was there, but most of his army (from Battle for Weldyn) was not in the recall list. Just a couple of elves and a handful of mermen. The way it was, I had to take raw, lev-1 recruits out to deal with the bad guys in the finale.

Had some trouble with the finale, even after you updated to 0.5.4.
Spoiler:
Dialogue needs to be polished up in many places. First thing I'd change is: "enemies" does not have a double n. It's wrong in many places: in the dialogue and in scenario objectives.

Kudos for creating an interesting BfW experience.
--sneezy
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Sneezy wrote:Hi Pyrophorus-- Wulfie got a trident... what a smart wolf! Wish I'd thought of that.
Yeah, I think I'll put a little bit of dialog there, showing it's intended. Something like "C'mon Wulfie ! Tridents aren't fit for wolves ! But if you really want one..."
Sneezy wrote: I've finished the whole campaign, using a mix of 0.5.2, 0.5.3, & 0.5.4; also BfW 1.10.0 and winXP with SP3.

I'm impressed! Very different from the usual BfW slug-fest. The story holds together well, and there are multiple things going on at the same time. Very nice. Not everyone will like it, but I see your intent, and I think you pulled it off well.
Thanks for your appreciation ! I'm glad to know I've (at least partly) succeeded.
Sneezy wrote: There are times when one or more characters seem to silently lose some of their max HP & max XP, but it's not serious enough to really hamper your progress. No-one got killed because of it. But it is aggravating...
Yes, that's perfectly right. The campaign needs a full character revision, including what you quote, advancement, level adjustments, balancing and recall lists.
Sneezy wrote: "Errands" is quite an eye-opener. Very neat, although it took me a while to figure out how to move back & forth between "worlds" on demand; I didn't realize how much control I had. Some players will be aggravated by odd bits of strange behavior: ...
Also in "Errands," a strip of hexes on the right side of merman-world was unshrouded; seems like a mistake.
I'll try to give a better explanation of how to switch worlds in the objectives, but it's so unusual... More of it, I'm conscious all works not really as if it was an ordinary scenario on one map. I did my best here, but some things like healers don't work already. I'll give it one more try... The shroud problem is not mine I think: I use here lua pack functions [store_shroud] which work very well most of time, but...
Sneezy wrote:
Spoiler:
It's explained in last first part scenario. Othra asks Tiomen what he intends to do and he resigns Aelthrank in her hands. Maybe you missed it because the dialog is too long or my English really bad here ! But I will consider your idea:
Sneezy wrote: "Finding Allies" gave me trouble.
Spoiler:
Maybe I could give a better explanation here.
Sneezy wrote:
In "Gryphon_Mountain" there was a lesson to be learned:
Spoiler:
I will certainly think about it because this scenario is one of those I want to improve. I still lack an interesting idea, but if you open the map, you'll find some parts (inaccessible yet) are prepared for "something to come". I plan to improve too "Training an army", "Battle for Weldyn", and "Morwin Castle" and I've yet the ideas. Shall see if I can make them work.
Sneezy wrote: In "Battle for Noelren" I was surprised that Garard was there, but most of his army (from Battle for Weldyn) was not in the recall list. Just a couple of elves and a handful of mermen. The way it was, I had to take raw, lev-1 recruits out to deal with the bad guys in the finale.
There will be something at the end of Battle for Weldyn, showing how Garard is made king and goes south to eradicate the Janishad threat. Various recall lists are not very well managed here and there. I'll try to fix this in my general revision.
Sneezy wrote: Had some trouble with the finale, even after you updated to 0.5.4.
Spoiler:
OK ! I'll take a look at it. I don't know about Nerins Lady. Maybe I could make her death a lose condition (this would fit better in the story), but maybe it's too difficult to protect her and the dwarf king against so much foes.
Sneezy wrote: Dialogue needs to be polished up in many places. First thing I'd change is: "enemies" does not have a double n. It's wrong in many places: in the dialogue and in scenario objectives.
I'll make a search on "ennemies". But of course, since I'm not a native English speaker, my English is probably far from perfect... and to be honest, I had the secret hope you would accept to make the revision !
Sneezy wrote: Kudos for creating an interesting BfW experience.
--sneezy
Thanks again for all your accurate reports !
pyrophorus

Re: Return to Noelren 0.6 - now complete

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Here is version 0.6.0 of Return to Noelren.
Various improvements have been done. I have quite reached the first goal I set to myself: putting in every scenario at least one thing unusual (and hopefully new and exciting). Since there are thirty scenarios, it was not really easy.

- A group moving mode had been added in scenario "Elves' home" to shorten teh exploration phases.
- A new cave crawling mode have been implemented in "Morwin Castle" (BTW you'll learn there what a pyrophorus is if you still don't).
- New unusual foes have been added in "Battle for Weldyn".
I still lack one idea or two for "Gryphons' mountains".

Further tasks will be to improve the artwork and to balance normal and hard level (testers welcomed).
I hope it is yet worth to be played and thank all those who already played it and gave elogious feedbacks.

Friendly,
vcap

Post by vcap »

Glynnador did not show up in "Alnoth Caves", as a result half the dialog did not make sense. (he still wasn't there in "Counsels").
Sneezy wrote:There are times when one or more characters seem to silently lose some of their max HP & max XP, but it's not serious enough to really hamper your progress. No-one got killed because of it. But it is aggravating, if you've been feeding XP to Tiomen, to have him stripped of it a few minutes later.
Tiomen losed his trident to this, when entering Alnoth Caves (not that i care much).

EDIT: that's in version 0.6, btw.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

vcap wrote:Glynnador did not show up in "Alnoth Caves", as a result half the dialog did not make sense. (he still wasn't there in "Counsels").

Tiomen losed his trident to this, when entering Alnoth Caves (not that i care much).

EDIT: that's in version 0.6, btw.
Thanks for playing the campaign and reporting this. I'll take a look soon...

Friendly,

Edit: v 0.6.1 is out.
zhun-ji

Post by zhun-ji »

hi, in "returnig home" tiomen is not automatically recalled on the latest 0.6.1 beta w/ bfw 1.10.2
i remembered that it was not the case in the previous... either version or bfw
(i could be wrong though, was a while back)
due to that, the prologue of the scenario makes no real sense...
if that is a mistake, can you look into it, please? thanks in advance
~J`
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

zhun-ji wrote:hi, in "returnig home" tiomen is not automatically recalled on the latest 0.6.1 beta w/ bfw 1.10.2
i remembered that it was not the case in the previous... either version or bfw
(i could be wrong though, was a while back)
due to that, the prologue of the scenario makes no real sense...
if that is a mistake, can you look into it, please? thanks in advance
~J`
You're right. Thanks for playing and reporting
Version 0.6.2 is online.
Friendly,
lynx

Post by lynx »

alnoth island, can't figure out how to light the fire. No fireplace or menu item appeared. Even went to the trouble of fetching the cart, but I can only make bombs and collapsing the mines is a no-no (nice way to ruin the scenario).
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

lynx wrote:alnoth island, can't figure out how to light the fire. No fireplace or menu item appeared. Even went to the trouble of fetching the cart, but I can only make bombs and collapsing the mines is a no-no (nice way to ruin the scenario).
Well, you should be able to light a camp fire moving the blacksmith to a forest hex near the cave entrance, and right-clicking an hex adjacent to him. (Same as winter journey).
Thanks for playing the campaign !
Friendly,
lynx

Post by lynx »

uhh, very unintuitive. At least update the hint text please.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

lynx wrote:uhh, very unintuitive. At least update the hint text please.
Hmmm...
What should I tell ? Any idea ?
Friendly,
lynx

Post by lynx »

i actually tried to light a fire in the forest, but only under the smith - didn't think about the surroundings.

"You can light campfires only in forest tiles. You also have to be standing in one [if this is really also needed]."