The Four Champions

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Radh

Re: The Four Champions

Post by Radh »

Hey,

I just played this (it seemed complete; was it not?), and it had an excellent story! Excellent characters, and I loved the idea of not being able to recruit the same later.

Although, I saw many, many typos and grammatical errors that could easily be fixed. I replay it and point them out... if it is in your desire to fix them.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

To the above: the campaign was complete but with lots of lots of bugs and missing quests. I have been fixing them, but would like to know how people are liking the dungeon idea before I add another few levels of it. Initially, the dungeon (castle) was supposed to be 9 levels.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Well guys... I'm back. And as of two days ago, the campaign is done (or rather, as done as it is wont to be). I've basically only added a new sprite for Chris, but other than a new sprite for Sylvie, that's all there was. She's being left as an elvish archer for now since there don't seem to be many female human archer sprites. Oh well. Another day I suppose.

I think I'll use this summer to start another, somewhat related campaign, but this time, I'll wait until it's all done to release. So basically, don't expect anything for another year. :)
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

When you say it's done, I assume you mean for 1.10?
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

MRDNRA wrote:When you say it's done, I assume you mean for 1.10?
As of a few seconds ago, yes! No idea how this campaign even ran in 1.8. When I tried running it on 1.10, at least 20 errors came up. All fixed as far as I can tell, but I admit I didn't actually play through it. That was done on 1.8. Report errors as appropriate. This is my first time upgrading a campaign from one version of Wesnoth to another so I don't really know how many bugs I should be expecting to pop up.

EDIT: Oh, also, when I say "done" I only mean story-wise. There is no balancing whatsoever. In fact, I'm pretty sure Easy-Med-Hard are all exactly the same. For now, I'll leave it to users to test this difficulty before changing things.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

First bug for me has occured when
Spoiler:
a simple WML change is needed from [removeitem] to [remove_item] apparently.

Im playing on easy difficulty btw, good first level so far, seems decent in terms of balancing although others may say otherwise.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Ah... that's what I was afraid of: changes in the WML tags that won't register until you play the campaign. Well, I've fixed that one tag - for all scenarios - but I imagine there are plenty more tag changes between 1.8 and 1.10. Are these documented anywhere so that I can just run through them all?

Hm. I guess, as a general question, what is the process for translating a campaign from one version of Wesnoth to another? Just play it all the way through again?
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I have no idea, but it's probably a good idea to do that so that any more bugs like that will become apparent.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Arawn wrote:Hm. I guess, as a general question, what is the process for translating a campaign from one version of Wesnoth to another? Just play it all the way through again?
You can use wmllint to do that. It's a command line tool which comes with Wesnoth. Search the forums to learn how to use it, Elvish Hunter and Groggy_Dice posted many tips on it.
HTH
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

For a (maybe complete?) list of important WML syntax changes from 1.8 to 1.10 see this thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33321
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Njord

Post by Njord »

I've been enjoying the campaign so far but I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the Castle scenario.
Spoiler:
Njord

Post by Njord »

Well, I finished off the campaign so I guess the question I had in my previous post is moot. Thanks for the all the effort, Arawn, it was nicely done with some interesting twists in the recruiting department. The only thing about that was that in later scenarios there wasn't any recalling, but that was minor. All in all, a great job.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Njord wrote:I've been enjoying the campaign so far but I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the Castle scenario.
Spoiler:
As to this:
Spoiler:
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- Played The Four Champions using win2k sp4, BfW 1.10.0, tFC 0.1.1, and difficulty NORMAL. The first 6 scenarios went okay; interesting story, no big surprises, able to build up a bit of gold. Scenario 7 showed the "removeitem" (vs remove_item) error. Checking around, there are a bunch of "removeitem" lines in the "utils" folder.

Scenario 9 also gave some trouble. The scenario only had 14 turns, and I could barely get a couple of drake-gliders up to the enemy keep before the scenario ended. Looks like {TURNS 30 14 14} needs to be something like {TURNS 30 26 22}, or {TURNS 30 30 30}. Modified a save file to set TURNS to 26, and DIFFICULTY to EASY, and then was able to proceed. Looks like Scenario #10 may have the same "turns" issue.

Scenarios 11 and beyond had "removeitem" errors when opening doors.
Spoiler:
That seems like an error.

The first 12 scenarios seem to be balanced fairly well, and the NOVICE rating seems about right.
Looking forward to finishing it.
--sneezy

EDIT:
fiddled with the files, and managed to get further, but found another issue:
Spoiler:
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

EDIT: All of the errors below should now be fixed, except for how quickly you get to level 7 of the castle. Thank you for the feedback. And do let me know if you feel more castle levels would be a good idea. I just didn't want to overwhelm the player.
Sneezy wrote:Scenario 7 showed the "removeitem" (vs remove_item) error. Checking around, there are a bunch of "removeitem" lines in the "utils" folder.
Scenario 9 also gave some trouble. The scenario only had 14 turns, and I could barely get a couple of drake-gliders up to the enemy keep before the scenario ended. Looks like {TURNS 30 14 14} needs to be something like {TURNS 30 26 22}, or {TURNS 30 30 30}. Modified a save file to set TURNS to 26, and DIFFICULTY to EASY, and then was able to proceed. Looks like Scenario #10 may have the same "turns" issue.

Scenarios 11 and beyond had "removeitem" errors when opening doors.
Spoiler:
That seems like an error.

The first 12 scenarios seem to be balanced fairly well, and the NOVICE rating seems about right.

EDIT:
fiddled with the files, and managed to get further, but found another issue:
Spoiler:
The castle moving to level 7 is intentional because I decided having seven levels of it would bore most gamers. Let me know if you disagree - there were more quests planned, some to add backstory. As for the other errors, I'll get to fixing them. I just uploaded a new version but didn't catch any of the removeitem errors. Sigh... I need more practice with grep.