Drake History - Migration (3 current scenarios)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Wurmish

Drake History - Migration (3 current scenarios)

Post by Wurmish »

I'm a novice developer (I've had several ideas for factions, but I lack the artistic connections and talent to make them myself) and I'm considering making a campaign about the history of the Drakes (my favorite faction), and how they came to move to the Wesnoth continent. I can't seem to find much information about their history besides the vagaries that are in the race descriptions. Before I dig too deep into this, I was curious if there was/were:
A.) A campaign already covering this? If not,
B.) Anything that needs to definitely be referenced and covered? I know that in The Rise of Wesnoth there is an island of (formerly) pacified Drakes, and talk about the island sinking, but is there anything else really about Drakes in that timeframe?

B is mostly to direct my efforts, because if Drake history is really as blank as it looks on the surface of the help, then I'd rather not have such a HUGE slate to work with, and input from other people will help me narrow down what I may want to work on.

What I know I need and/or want to cover:
Origin of Drakes - living on the island chains and perhaps some conflict with their ancestors, true Dragons.
Migration of Drakes - most of the campaign is planned to center on this - the overpopulation problem causing power struggles and eventually some Drakes (I'll probably just be following one or maybe two clans) getting frustrated and leaving for greener pastures. I might throw in a reference to TRoW here too.
Settling on the Continent - I'm assuming Saurians are native to the Wesnoth continent or at least arrived first, and at some point the Drakes and Saurians will ally (whether they conflict first or not is something to be thought about later).
Solidification - driving off the natives who are already present (most likely conflict will be Dwarves given Drake preference for high places on the Wesnoth continent, potentially Undead issues too)

Based on this, I imagine the campaign would be roughly intermediate level, with anywhere from 7 to 12 scenarios, depending on how long winded (lack of good terms here) the migration and settling is (scenario wise).

I have most of the code for the campaign's main file up, with the intro scenario started (haven't gotten it tested yet, will once I get the campaign to show up properly). I also have tried looking around the forum for info that I'm asking for, and either it doesn't exist, or I'm incompetent. Not afraid of the latter in that case.

Thanks in advance!

Edit - Done some looking, found a couple of campaigns and I'm looking through them, so far not finding anything quite like what I had in mind, so I'm not fearing a near-duplication. Input for what people may like to see is still wanted.
Last edited by Wurmish on July 3rd, 2011, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently quietly developing a small faction as part of my master plan to develop an entire era independently. Art is the only concerning point for me.

Francisco_Silveira

Re: Drake History

Post by Francisco_Silveira »

Indeed, a very nice idea.

I particularly don't like the Drakes, I think dragons should be real dragons, and that humanoid kind of dragons... I just don't appreciate it.

Nevertheless, you really seems like someome who would do a good job, by the way you posted it (I like organized people).

I never played a campaign telling the stories of the Drakes, but I didn't get too deep into add-on campaigns tough. So, go for it, and I must say I too don't have any talent at art designing, I pretty much suck at it, so I kind of understand you. :lol2:

Wish you best luck. :D

alluton

Post by alluton »

Drakes are pretty intouchable race. Flight to freedom is one drake campaign but i dont think it covers your campaign. Anyway your post looked good and clear. This idea sounds good.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash

Wurmish

Post by Wurmish »

Nice to see a little feedback. I've decided to leave most of the 'origins' to just the intro story, and set right into the events that trigger the migration. In media res, I believe.

I have 2 scenarios essentially complete, I'll be posting things up for download once I have the third scenario completed. Map's done and script is done, just the scenario file to do.
Currently quietly developing a small faction as part of my master plan to develop an entire era independently. Art is the only concerning point for me.

boru

Post by boru »

There is a mainline drake campaign in development. I'm not certain if it covers the arrival of the drakes in Wesnoth, because (1) it's unfinished and (2) I keep getting slaughtered in one of the early scenarios. Definitely worth mining for drake history though.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.

alluton

Post by alluton »

I will try to play that campaign and see what it tells.

edit: it seems to tell how drakes once were fought off from great continent. now drakes are living in islands but they are too many to find food for all of them. thats why one drake is leading expediction to the old continent that only few of the oldest drakes remember.

That is about drakes second settling of the great continent but it tells alot about drake history anyway.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash

Wurmish

Post by Wurmish »

All right, I don't have things quite perfectly balanced out yet (still rather easy, going to tone up enemy leader gold and recruitment later).
First 3 scenarios zipped into the campaign folder. Put it where you put your add-ons, naturally. Happy to have feedback in detail about gameplay and story. YES you will be fighting something other than Drakes. After the first 3 scenarios.
Attachments
Migration.zip
(277.16 KiB) Downloaded 79 times