campaign ideas

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Richard

campaign ideas

Post by Richard »

I have played SotBe and the campaign with the two brothers who fight each other in the quest for greater power, one of which becomes an ancient lich (can't remember the actual campaign name) for about a year now, I haven't managed to finish SotBe yet. What I would like to suggest is with Kapou'e himself, how about a campaign which is based upon his father Black-Eye Karun years before he is murdered by the humans?

My other idea is a bit airy fairy in content...I was thinking along the lines of the Ancient Lich and Spectre units when I thought about the Grim Reaper. I know this not Wesnoth related but I thought about a campaign based on Grim.
In a nutshell, Grim started out as an ordinary human, he is trained as a mage but strays off and begins studying the dark arts, after years of study he has gradually lost his human form (Kind of similar to the Ringwraiths in Lotr) and has become a lich/spectre.

A few months ago I had seen someone post on the forums about changing the Ancient Lich avatar gave me the final idea... Grim who was now in the form of an ancient lich finds in an old tome about this form of being which basically describes the lotr ringwraith
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: campaign ideas

Post by thespaceinvader »

OK... go write it.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Richard wrote:In a nutshell, Grim started out as an ordinary human, he is trained as a mage but strays off and begins studying the dark arts, after years of study he has gradually lost his human form (Kind of similar to the Ringwraiths in Lotr) and has become a lich/spectre.
This general idea is already present in the campaign "Descent into Darkness" which you should give a try before.
To elaborate some more what thespaceinvader wrote: Every aspect of the game is done by volunteers, and ideas come at a penny the dozen. Chances are pretty high that no one will jump in and say "your idea sounds great, I'll code it for you". That said, a campaign, especially if you are using the core set of units and don't have to come up with original art, is easy to put together with wml.

The best way to start is to download the addon "A Simple Campaign" to see how this wml stuff works, start to mess with it, look up stuff in the wiki, and go step by step.

At later stages, if you already have a couple of scenarios and you at least know a little bit what your doing, you can open a thread in "Scenario and Campaign Development" subforum to gather opinions and, maybe even someone wants to join in the project.

I know this sounds like an awful lot of work, but take it step by step and you will be fine.
Another thing, people here are generally very helpful if you are presenting a problem in work you have already put effort into.
Just throwing an idea out without any intention to work a big chunk of it out yourself is mostly not well received.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm not worried about it being a lot of work, it will give me something to do out of school
I have played most of the campaigns, Descent into Darkness more than the others followed closely by Son of the Blackeye. I know the feel of each of the factions and I began to think of the what ifs as a result of the gameplay which began to form into the two ideas I listed earlier with the influence of a few online multiplayer games
Richard

Post by Richard »

Progress Update:

Orc Campaign (No actual decided on as at this point)
Part 1*
-Scenario 1= Plan written
-Scenario 2 = Half written
- Scenario 3 = In progress
* Part 1 explores the background of the main characters, whom will play a major role in later portions of the overall campaign
>As of this point, 6 unit lines have been thought up, some belonging to the various villages were these heroes come from

Whereas with the Origins of Grim campaign, there is no really progress at this point however a brainstorm is as far as I have gotten to

I will attempt to link the material to a blog for the progress on these campaigns, as although it will take ages to complete :)
Hand drawn unit portraits from a few months ago will help as well
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moved to Scenario & Campaign Development since this no longer belongs in Ideas.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sorry shadowmaster, should have realised that when I continued posting my progress
Richard

Post by Richard »

Scenario 3 half drafted
Scenario 4 to be completed later today
With this done, the first part with the key 'heroes' and their stories will have been explained and then with Part 2, their "quest" will take place...with some interesting upgrade choices throughout the campaign