Campaign versioning standard... please!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

telex4

Campaign versioning standard... please!

Post by telex4 »

As fun as it is to play campaigns that aren't even half completed, and then replay the first scenarios each time I retry the campaign, it'd be nice to know if user campaigns on the campaign server are complete.

At the moment, each campaign author seems to have adopted his own version number system. What would be really nice is if everyone adopted some standards so idiots like me can just play "complete" campaigns.

My proposal to kick things off would be:

1. Use the system "0.1", "0.2", "0.2.1", etc.

2. Only reach "1.0" when you have finished all of the scenarios and you're happy with them (i.e. they're playable, balanced, etc.). Continue past 1.0 to refine by all means, but don't mark a half-complete campaign as 1.0!
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Campaign versioning standard... please!

Post by turin »

telex4 wrote:As fun as it is to play campaigns that aren't even half completed, and then replay the first scenarios each time I retry the campaign, it'd be nice to know if user campaigns on the campaign server are complete.

At the moment, each campaign author seems to have adopted his own version number system. What would be really nice is if everyone adopted some standards so idiots like me can just play "complete" campaigns.
I definitely think this is a good idea. What the heck does "revision 27 mean ? (don't answer; its a rhetorical question).
telex4 wrote:My proposal to kick things off would be:

1. Use the system "0.1", "0.2", "0.2.1", etc.

2. Only reach "1.0" when you have finished all of the scenarios and you're happy with them (i.e. they're playable, balanced, etc.). Continue past 1.0 to refine by all means, but don't mark a half-complete campaign as 1.0!
this makes the most sense, but some people think it is less "accurate" or something and thus consciously rejected it in favor of somethign else...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eol

Post by Eol »

Thinking as far off as Wesnoth 1.0, would go as far as to say we should have two wesnoth campaigns servers (especially since 1.0 will be 'STABLE').

The ingame 'downloand more campaigns' should default point to a stable campaign server where ONLY completed campaigns that are known to work with Wesnoth 'STABLE' (1.0 in this case) are listed. This would seem to be in the interest of a new user base just getting in with STABLE. Don't want to have them d/l broken campaigns and give up in frustation (ala a good quarter of the campaigns via wiki fail to run on 0.8.5 w/o modding (Easter Eggs for example)).

Then have another server (let save campaign-dev) that has non completed campaigns, experimental revisions to current completed campaigns, and campaigns that don't work with 1.0 (STABLE) but work with the CVSHEAD (CURRENT).
De Opresso Liber
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

revision 27 (it's up to revision 29 now) means the 29th major update to my campaign, meaning with scenario improvements or fatal bug fixes. A .1 revision ie. 28.3 means the third minor update to revision 28. Minor updates are ones with minor bug fixes or balance changes.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:revision 27 (it's up to revision 29 now) means the 29th major update to my campaign, meaning with scenario improvements or fatal bug fixes. A .1 revision ie. 28.3 means the third minor update to revision 28. Minor updates are ones with minor bug fixes or balance changes.
this does not explain why you don't want to use the normal method, which makes more sense IHMO AND, most importantly, makes the methods standard, a Good Thing (tm).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yeah I think we need a standard.

IMO simply x.y.z should be the standard, where x, y, and z are integers >= 0. If x >= 1, then the campaign should have all scenarios present and completable. Users could choose to only see campaigns that are complete. The campaign server could enforce this versioning convention.

Possibly we could have some kind of 'ceritification' process, where the developers could certify campaigns as being somehow 'approved'. This would basically mean that we think the campaign is of reasonable quality, and fits in well with the Wesnoth world. Users could choose to only see certified campaigns.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

The revision scheme with 1.0 meaning 'scenario complete'
is one option, but note that HttT for instance took all the way to 8.4 to be scenario complete. I do not think this is a problem because whether you download user-contributed scenarios from the Wiki or the Scenario and Campaign development(various threads), you almost always have
a clear indication of whether the campaign is scenario complete or not
telex4

Post by telex4 »

santi wrote:The revision scheme with 1.0 meaning 'scenario complete'
is one option, but note that HttT for instance took all the way to 8.4 to be scenario complete. I do not think this is a problem because whether you download user-contributed scenarios from the Wiki or the Scenario and Campaign development(various threads), you almost always have
a clear indication of whether the campaign is scenario complete or not
No, it took until 0.8.4 to be complete. There is endless discussion on this forum about the big 1.0 release that will mark a feature complete, usable, accessible Wesnoth that the developers are happy with. The same should apply to campaigns, and I'm glad to see others agree with me on this :)
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

My standard is:

x.y.z

x is 0 until the campaign is finished.
y increases by one when I release new scenario(s) (and then z is set to 0 / removed)
z increases by one when I release a bugfix or minor modification.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

The unfinished campaigns should be marked clearly in game.

It's bad when user plays 10+ levels of unfinished campaign, then ends with savegame that says that next level is "null"; and even installing new version of Wesnoth (with new version of campaign) will not repair this savegame.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:x.y.z

y increases by one when I release new scenario(s) (and then z is set to 0 / removed)
I like this. :wink: Simple, yet sufficient.

By the way, I do not like the name of campaign "Son of the Black Eye (chapter I)". The "chapter I" is IMHO only a smart way to say "unfinished".
dtw

Post by dtw »

surprised it is not used already - as far as max is concerned he only need add a 0. to the start of his versioning system - 0.28.3 may be a bit un orthodox but fluxbox is on version 0.9.10 so maybe not to too strange!

i do like the idea of having an x.y.z scheme, i'm assuming everyone follows the idea of y increase for major updates e.g. scenarios added and z increases for bug fixes and minor tweaks
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:My standard is:

x.y.z

I like that too. You could even code the server to force this, by asking the uploader questions like:

"Is the change:
- a minor bug fix
- a new scenario
- the [first stable release|second major release|etc.]"

But then I can imagine people disliking that :)
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

dibblethewrecker wrote:i'm assuming everyone follows the idea of y increase for major updates e.g. scenarios added and z increases for bug fixes and minor tweaks
Wesnoth does not IIRC: y and z both just mean points at which there were few bugs, and all changes are in CVS.

BTW, should there be CVS versions of campaigns?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

In my case, i release a 0.x version when i feel it is A stable and B significant progress has been made (meaning at least 3 scenarios).
The World of Orbivm