Li'sar changing sides

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

methinks

Li'sar changing sides

Post by methinks »

I think that Li'sar changing sides the way she does in game is quite strange. Suddenly she realises her mother is evil even though she wasn't convinced by Konrad and Defaldor before. And BTW shouldn't they negotiate longer. I mean they say one or two sentences adn Defaldor decides discussion is waste of time.
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

I too felt that part of the plot needed some polish. That "I couldn't leave you yo die, I'm not like my mother" line is specially weak; such a sudden change on a girl raised from her childhood with lies... I mean, common, she is the princess, sure her evil mother has filled her head with tones of hatred and false stories. You don't just wake up one day and throw all your believes away.

I'm not saying the plot needs to be changed excessively, but a couple tweaks here could help (perhaps just rephrasing one or two lines of dialog would suffice).
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I think she's in love with Konrad ;)
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

I think she's in love with Konrad
Now common, Li'Sar and Konrad? Really?? I would have never said that... :D:D
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I hope Li'Sar change her mind...Konrad is ugly! (sorry who ever made the pics if he was ment to be good-looking) even defaldor is a better choice for her, at least he's wise
methinks

Post by methinks »

I agree, I have never meant the whole plot to be changed, just that dialogue needs some changing. Maybe one of those mages could have his own name and could have known this and that about Li'sar's mother and combining those factors she could have changed her mind. But also it shouldn't be stated like "I'm not like my mother" I think that at this part of game a longer dialogue with some monolog from Li'sar should take place. Also I think that at the end of previous scenario there should be introduced a slight hesitation in what Li'sar says. I mean that she would be telling her mother words but in a way that player might think that she is not certain about it :)
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

KK_r wrote:I think she's in love with Konrad ;)
I think Konrad marries Li'sar after he becomes king.
methinks

Post by methinks »

About her being in love with Konrad I'd rather say it is certain :)
miyo

Post by miyo »

Is marriage known in Wesnoth? This is just a reminder that we are building fantasy and we don't have to follow the rules of reality.

- Miyo
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I hope someone makes the story a bit different then the usual RPGs, make him gay or anything that will bea non-standard ending
miyo

Post by miyo »

KK_r wrote: make him gay
I am against this.
KK_r wrote: or anything that will bea non-standard ending
We should not seek after 'standard' or 'non-standard' endings. This seems to be the age of 'seeking non-standard endings'... it is popular and we really don't have to follow the trend. Let us be original... someone will always think it reminds something he has played, seen or heard before.

- Miyo
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

Well, I wouldn't call the current plot original at all. That doesn't imply it is bad: it fits the game well and gives some nice chances for scenario development. But it's just your run of the mill fantasy setting with some cliche characters.

Sometimes you just don't need an extraordinary script to achieve an effectful story, like this game has, but let us not pretend that having Konrad and Li'Sar getting married at the end (yeah, marriage could not exist as we know it, whatever) or going for some other typical events and plot lines is original since "nowadays everybody wants to be super original, and we are not" (¿?). It's ok with me if you want to go back to the roots and have a plain, standard story, but just call it by its name. Originality wasn't a priority when designing the script: so what, it's ok anyway.

Btw, I loved your thorough explanation on the how and why of Konrad's sexual preferences. Now, *that* was a strong argument, hehe. But could you just develop a little more? ;)
methinks

Post by methinks »

Well actually I don't want KOnrad to be gay either, suit yourself you all I think it would be bizarre. Yeah, I am not trying to be politically correct here. Just think it would spoil the game.

And, well, I do not care whether BfW is original only if it is good and not a copy of anything else. I would only follow "what is good" rule. Wesnoth has some originality in it though.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Quest for the originality is not our main goal, we seek after:

* fun to play
* simple (for players, we are not talking about developers)

That is the recipe for Wesnoth (and it is getting more and more popular with that recipe).

And let us not forget KISS [1] and IIRWIIR [2].

- Miyo

[1] Keep It Simple Stupid
[2] It Is Ready When It Is Ready
miyo

Post by miyo »

Though we do hope it contains some originality and magic *grin*

- Miyo