Shadow Lord, now online for both 1.8.x and 1.9.x

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rowanthepreacher

Re: Shadow Lord, now online for both 1.8.x and 1.9.x

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

... I hate it when things are my fault :D

Thanks Kapoue.

P.S. I'm not going to submit this post until I've done all of that, so I know whether to thank or verbally assault you.

ALL HAIL KAPOUE! The spelling could use some work...
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:... I hate it when things are my fault :D
Lol, they are so often my fault I've grown used to it :)
P.S. I'm not going to submit this post until I've done all of that, so I know whether to thank or verbally assault you.
Good idea :wink:
The spelling could use some work...
The scenario or my forum posting?
Rowanthepreacher

The scenario. There weren't many spelling mistakes, but every incorrect letter makes me weep.

P.S. The first scenario is awesome and the difficulty is just right. The second scenario was like a fight between the Third Reich and a kitten. The player is the kitten. First we're stripped of our most awesome ability, then pitted against three foes, each able to give us a fair fight on their own, on terrible terrain, with an underpowered faction (EoMa is regarded as being underpowered vs mainline).
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:The scenario. There weren't many spelling mistakes, but every incorrect letter makes me weep.
I didn't spot any........ but I will double check. If ou can point them out to me, that would be great.
P.S. The first scenario is awesome and the difficulty is just right.
Good. I have spent most of my time on that one.
The second scenario was like a fight between the Third Reich and a kitten. The player is the kitten. First we're stripped of our most awesome ability, then pitted against three foes, each able to give us a fair fight on their own, on terrible terrain, with an underpowered faction (EoMa is regarded as being underpowered vs mainline).
Ah. Balancing changes needed ASAP then. Any suggestions? I think I should do one of the following:
1) Redesign the map so that you effectively fight the first one quickly (and then winning gives you loads of villages), before moving on to the other two.
2) Alter gold/income for the player and the ai. I'm thinking high starting gold for the player, and high income for the ai. That way, you have to move fast to win, without having to use a low turn limit.
3) go back to having only 2 ai's

If none of those sound appealing, then I can always bring in the big guns, and start using the War Master and/or the Master of Corruption much, much sooner than I had planned to. If I did that, the scenario would work like this instead:
Spoiler:
Opinions anyone?
Rowanthepreacher

I'll have another play through and list the spelling mistakes.

That other mission you describe sounds awesome beyond words. A thought, however: Is it possible to make the Lord friendly towards a faction, while still being able to attack them? I'm just wondering about the possibility of hacking through some foes as the WC/MoC, then dropping the disguise to snatch a leader's body, and using that to assassinate the other leaders. ...I've watched "The Thing" recently.

For scenario 2, I'd prefer the "quickly deal with the first one" approach.
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:I'll have another play through and list the spelling mistakes.

Is it possible to make the Lord friendly towards a faction, while still being able to attack them? I'm just wondering about the possibility of hacking through some foes as the WC/MoC, then dropping the disguise to snatch a leader's body, and using that to assassinate the other leaders. ...I've watched "The Thing" recently.
Yes. However, neither the WM or the MoC use the same takeform weapon special as the Shadow Lord. Instead, they each have their own ability that makes them powerful.
Spoiler:
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Bug report:
(Using Battle for Wesnoth v1.9.5+svn (49275) on Xubuntu 10.10)
When I try to play the campaign, I get the following errors, and Wesnoth goes back to the main menu:
Terminal Output wrote:20110419 09:29:44 error general: The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
/home/jon/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9/data/add-ons/MoN/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Macro/file '~add-ons/orcs_era/races.cfg' is missing at ~add-ons/MoN/_main.cfg:115

20110419 09:29:44 error general: Unknown scenario: 'dwarves'
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Upon downloading and attempting to open this on 1.9, I run into a bug where it tells me it cannot find the unit for something with 'summoner' in the id.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

1.8.5 -- As soon as you try to start you get a game_error of "unknown unit type: I8 Ak_SummonerIII". Is there an undocumented Era that is needed?
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns: