The Story of Wesnoth Forums(1.9.x)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

atomicbomb

The Story of Wesnoth Forums(1.9.x)

Post by atomicbomb »

I decided to make a SP campaign based on events that happened in wesnoth forums. I had dug up some useful informations for the story. You can find that informations in this thread. The story tells a tale about present day's lead forum admin(shadowmaster) and his forum mods's struggle to take control wesnoth forums after turuk left. They will fight lot of spammers and trolls who want to destroy forum. The story itself begins before end of turuk's rule. Anyone who wants to contribute to this campaign, can post in this thread or PM me. Any contributions will highly appreciated.

I am completely newbie to WML, so it will take little longer time to write this campaign.
Last edited by atomicbomb on March 20th, 2011, 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Frogger5

Re: The Story of Wesnoth Forum

Post by Frogger5 »

Ummm, I suppose i'll put my hand up if you want me. I can do any work in Vector if you need any logos, posters etc (but i cant to portraits and people), and my meagre spiriting skills are also at your disposal (if you want them). It might be a wise idea to post a list of things you need, so that people who want to contribute know what they need to make.
See my signature for my art thread. (I suggest you go to the last few pages to view my current skill level.)
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
atomicbomb

Re: The Story of Wesnoth Forum(1.9.x)

Post by atomicbomb »

Frogger5 wrote:Ummm, I suppose i'll put my hand up if you want me. I can do any work in Vector if you need any logos, posters etc (but i cant to portraits and people), and my meagre spiriting skills are also at your disposal (if you want them). It might be a wise idea to post a list of things you need, so that people who want to contribute know what they need to make.
See my signature for my art thread. (I suggest you go to the last few pages to view my current skill level.)
Feel free to conribute! I need a logo, poster, everything that you can provide! (I need a logo with campaign's name on it)

List of things that I need
  • WML Mentor (of course!)
  • Arts(Sprite, portraits, etc.) [looks like Zerovirus wants to provide sprites for this campaign]
  • Suggestions for story and grammar checking
  • Feedbacks
perseo

Post by perseo »

It sounds great! NIce Idea. I can't help you with sprites because I have enough problems with my own ones... - -' (you can see it in my avatar or in my art threat) But I think I've learned some WML during the work in my last campaign and If you want I can help you.
Another two things: What kind of logo do you want? and... Why not? I can help you to make a spanish version!
Otherwise you have to know that WML is easy and After the 4 first scenarios you will control it.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

perseo wrote:It sounds great! NIce Idea. I can't help you with sprites because I have enough problems with my own ones... - -' (you can see it in my avatar or in my art threat) But I think I've learned some WML during the work in my last campaign and If you want I can help you.
Another two things: What kind of logo do you want? and... Why not? I can help you to make a spanish version!
Otherwise you have to know that WML is easy and After the 4 first scenarios you will control it.
Wow, I got so many supporters! I want a wesnotish style logo with "The Story of Wesnoth Forum" written on it and I also need a background map to show locations in forums. You can also help me to make the prologue. Many thanks! :D
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

EDIT: Bleh
Once you've submitted something to the add-on server or the Wesnoth forums, I'll play it in my [large] free time, get back to you, and possibly give you a portrait/sprite of any important armoured guys I find.
Last edited by Reepurr on March 20th, 2011, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
perseo

Post by perseo »

You can also help me to make the prologue
Of course! I'll have lot of free time after my clarinet final term exam (monday 21) so send me a private message with the prologue idea and I'll help you.
and getting hoarse."
atomicbomb

Re: The Story of Wesnoth Forums(1.9.x)

Post by atomicbomb »

I planned to add Forum Villain faction, a group of Spammers, Trolls, Abusive posters, Hackers, etc. Any Suggestion?
I also Planned User Forum Faction, collection of units like Common Member, Moderators, Forum Lords. Any Idea?

Please take a look at the story's still incomplete prologue. I need some suggestions.
Prologue
[story]
[part]
story= _ "Here is the story of The land of Forums, Land of Irdyan Gods, where Irdya was planned and created. this is where the story goes"
[/part]
[part]
story= _ "In the very beginning, even before the Irdya created, thre was nothing but darkness"
[/part]
[part]
story= _ "Then came David the White, Our First Leader"
[/part]
[part]
story= _ "He said : 'Let There Be Light!' Then there is a light"
[/part]
[/story]
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

For the protagonist faction, you should look at the different titles people have for unit_type names. Like, "Forum Regular", "Loose Screw", "Donkey", "UMC Dev/Cultist", "Art/Music contributor", "Lord of Music", etc. There are plenty to build a few unit trees.

You could also have a bot unit, which could generally be an antagonist, but you could have a loyal one in the protagonist's team (Gambot).

As for WML, I suggest you take a look at "A Simple Campaign", which you can find on the add-on server. It's a very good place to start learning WML and a good base to work off of. If you ever encounter any problems, there is always the WML Workshop, filed with people to help you out. And also check the wiki (the big "Create" on top) for any further reference, it is helpful beyond measure.

Good luck, this seems interesting, I'm curious to see where it goes :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

For the protagonist faction, you should look at the different titles people have for unit_type names. Like, "Forum Regular", "Loose Screw", "Donkey", "UMC Dev/Cultist", "Art/Music contributor", "Lord of Music", etc. There are plenty to build a few unit trees.
Already planned, but it would take extra time cause there's lot of them.
You could also have a bot unit, which could generally be an antagonist, but you could have a loyal one in the protagonist's team (Gambot).
Good Idea!
As for WML, I suggest you take a look at "A Simple Campaign", which you can find on the add-on server. It's a very good place to start learning WML and a good base to work off of. If you ever encounter any problems, there is always the WML Workshop, filed with people to help you out. And also check the wiki (the big "Create" on top) for any further reference, it is helpful beyond measure.
I have been using that since 3 hours ago.
perseo

Post by perseo »

Why don't make a faction of powerful mages like with incredible abilities like WML & TAG spells? You can also make monster like bugs, errors and crashes. Is just a idea. Why don't make an animate prologue where two or more developers argue about the story?
and getting hoarse."
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Ill get working on wednesday.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
johndh

Post by johndh »

perseo wrote:Why don't make a faction of powerful mages like with incredible abilities like WML & TAG spells? You can also make monster like bugs, errors and crashes. Is just a idea. Why don't make an animate prologue where two or more developers argue about the story?
Maybe the bad guys are preparing a ritual called the "DDoS" (Dark Damnation of Souls?), which will turn countless folk into zombies unless they are stopped in time.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Make sure to put a trademark after every Gambit-Oriented™ statement/message.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

My original post with an idea for HODOR scenario
atomicbomb wrote:EDIT: Wow, your scenario Idea's awesome! I'll try to implement that(of course if I can and if it would not unbalance the campaign)
Thanks! I'm glad you liked my scenario idea and as I've already said, I can also code it and contribute for your campaign if you want. Here are some more ideas:
  • Since it's not going to be a very serious campaign anyway, be sure to make a friendly (even if only helping the player for one scenario) Drake Cartographer unit which will possess the power to "Balance this!" hexes adjacent to it (from a right-click menu). This could randomly change the terrain of the hex, probably from the {forest,hills,grassland,swamp,cave} set (and if a mountain next to a village is detected, it should be obliterated instantly, since it's OP for dwarves :P ). This would be an awesome way to give some justice to Doc Paterson's mapmaking and map balancing efforts. Hell, you can even go as far to make a scenario, where Doc's map changing powers will be necessary to make a bridge over deep water, for example. Again, if needed, I can write the WML to support my idea.
  • Please make sure to include banhammer as a primary mod weapon!