Rebellion in the North:SP Campaign feedback and reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chak_abhi

Rebellion in the North:SP Campaign feedback and reviews

Post by chak_abhi »

I have prepared a long campaign--Rebellion in the North.This is a tale of the duties and the obligations of the Northern Alliance.It is designed to be of intermediate level.All of the planned 29 scenarios are completed,and all of them are balanced.It has been tested on 1.8x, I think it will work well on the 1.9x also.
Please provide the feedback by answering the following questions:
1.What version of Wesnoth have you used to play this campaign?
2.On what difficulties have you played this campaign?
3.How do you rate the difficulty of this campaign in general?(1-10)
4.Which portions of the campaign do you find to be too easy or too hard that may need to be rebalanced?
5.How do you find the storyline and the conversation of the campaign?
6.What changes do you think may be made to make the campaign more interesting?
7.If you know about Wesnoth Markup Language(WML),please comment on the WML of the various scenarios,stating how they may be improved.

This campaign focuses on attacking strategy and storming fortifications,which you will find useful while playing mainline campaigns like Northern Rebirth.This is my first campaign,the WML is quite complex,so to avoid balancing problems,especially on the hard difficulty,I have kept all scenarios to the easy side.I hope you will enjoy a long tour through the wild northlands and the far north,as well as through the kingdom of Wesnoth.Constructive criticisms are most welcome.

I do not stay online for long periods,so replies to your posts may not come immediately.Please keep patience in this regard,I will definitely address all your issues.
Last edited by chak_abhi on February 27th, 2011, 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
perseo

Re: Rebellion in the North:SP Campaign feedback and reviews

Post by perseo »

I don't see the campaign in the add-on server. Have you loaded it?
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

perseo:
It is on the 1.8 server, but I don't see it on the 1.9 one either ;)

Crend

EDIT:
I downloaded it and tested it. I didn't manage to pass through the first scenario.

Scenario 1
- immediately after the intro discussion with the orc: "<Invalid WML found> [gold] missing required amount= attribute.
- two villages (0,3 and 7,25) cannot be captured
- you have (on Easy) only start gold to recruit about 7 or 8 units. How should I help the orc who is spamming units with those few ones? :P
- the Saurians aren't very eager to recruit troops, but they have plenty money to do so. (well, purple started mass recruiting at about turn 3 or so)

EDIT 2:
Ah... looking at the WML I found the bug that causes the low amount of money.
your _main.cfg wrote: first_scenario="16_Unusual_Ally"
I think that should be adjusted :P
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

I am very sorry,that isn't the 1st scenario.I had forgotten that I had changed the _main.cfg file.I have put it right now.Please download it again and play.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

chak_abhi:
I edited the file manually and played the first two scenarios (now I'm too tired to continue :P ). I really enjoyed them. They're quite nice, as the story is.
I have one suggestion: Please put whitespaces after you punctuation marks. It's really hard to read - at least for me -, if they aren't there ;)

Besides, it would be nice if you could add battle marks to the maps as it is done in mainline :)

Crend
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Crendgrim wrote:chak_abhi:
I edited the file manually and played the first two scenarios (now I'm too tired to continue :P ). I really enjoyed them. They're quite nice, as the story is.
Thanks.
I have one suggestion: Please put whitespaces after you punctuation marks. It's really hard to read - at least for me -, if they aren't there ;)
The campaign is still in the process of development.Many changes will be made eventually.I'll keep this in mind.
Besides, it would be nice if you could add battle marks to the maps as it is done in mainline :)

What are "battle marks"?Please explain and I will try these.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

To those who will play the scenario "Attack of Borstep",I would like to mention that it contains a few bugs.Some balancing has also been done.I will post these changes within a few days with some more scenarios.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

chak_abhi wrote:What are "battle marks"?Please explain and I will try these.
They are called journey marks. When you start a scenario, sometimes after the story text dots will show up on the wesnoth map marking the journey that the characters are taking, and placing a crossed-swords image where a battle is. Made using the trackplacer tool (or manually. Personally I do it manually as I don't know how to use trackplacer).
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

I am sorry that I cannot make a tracking map right now.Firstly,I am a newbie to WML and have no idea how the journey marks are to be placed appropriately to make the map.Secondly,the campaign has extensive branching and is more complex than any of the mainline Wesnoth campaigns.If you play the campaign you will understand what I mean.So I am leaving that out for the present moment.After all the scenarios are ready and the campaign has been posted on the 1.9x server I will try to create the tracking map,if it is at all feasible.
perseo

Post by perseo »

Now, I found the campaign in the add-on server. I don't see the modificated _main file and you haven't upload it another time ( :?: ). Another thing, There's a program (or a script, I'm newbie in the WML too) called trackplacer whick can make the job of making a trackmap easier.
The image of the protagonist looks very strange between wesnoth style portraits.
Otherwise the campaign looks very interesting (I really love scenarios with fortress on it :D ) and the storyline good (I've only played the first scenario after changing the main file).
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

bigkahuna:
Thanks for clarification; I didn't really know how they're called properly :)

chak_abhi:
Are you aware that on many of your maps there are some villages in the map border, so you cannot capture them? If this is intended, it's okay, I only wanted to mention it.

Crend
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

perseo:
I have uploaded it on the 1.8x server,isn't it present?
And speaking of the protagonist,I thought that taking a deviation from the tradition might be interesting!

Crendgrim:
The border villages are meant to provide symmetry,they don't feature on the total number of villages too!As you play the campaign you will see that at least you won't face the problem of shortage of villages.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

The scenario "20_Attack_of_Borstep has been rebalanced and modified.Those who have played the previous scenarios can update their add-ons and try this now.
luxury

Post by luxury »

I use Wesnoth 1.8.5
Diffucult: Level Hard

The campaign is quite good balanced, The change of the main characters in the various scenarios gives the whole a good swing
itz fun to play such a good campaign...

but in the Scenerio "Battle of Prestim" i get an error message!!!!
"game_error: creating unit with an empty type field"
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

luxury wrote: but in the Scenerio "Battle of Prestim" i get an error message!!!!
"game_error: creating unit with an empty type field"
Does it come at the beginning of the scenario,or at a particular turn?New units come in the field at turns 6,8 and 15.If the turn is specific I can check this out.When I had tested the scenario it was running fine.
I will recheck it,but it will take some time.

Has anyone else witnessed the same error message?Please report at the earliest.