Burning Souls

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pewskeepski

Burning Souls

Post by Pewskeepski »

Here's the development thread for the campaign Burning Souls. Available on Wesnoth 1.9.X

Burning Souls

Related Threads:
Feedback Thread

Description:
With the death of Kilashi, all hope for the island of Bilheld seems to be slipping away from it's inhabitants. But now, an unsuspecting drake is about to lead his people on a journey for peace, and a life without war. However, the journey will be difficult, and it will take him through full confrontations against darkness, greed, and evil...

Story:
It starts out looking like a cliche campaign with the standard 'the greedy enemy is attacking your home, and now you have to leave...', but then it unravels into something much different. The great pursuit commences, and danger awaits around every corner so go on, enter the northern world above Wesnoth and burn some souls!

## SPOILER_WARNING ##
Latest Version: 1.4.7
Changes:
-Now harder to kill Gomduring in Scenario 9
-Finally fixed all (I hope) spelling mistakes
-Made use of the [sound_source] tag
======================================
Original post:
Original Post wrote:I'm working on my second campaign. In it, you play as my favorite faction. Drakes! I've completed the first scenario (Just 15 more to go) and I was wondering if anybody would like to give it a try? I could use some help in bug reporting, testing, and of course, possible feedback :D

As I said before, this is going to be a 15 (2 talk only and 1 epilogue) scenario campaign. The story will evolve around the personalities of the characters, And the choices they make. (So there will be a few branches ;)) You mainly fight humans along with undead, and the entire campaign takes place on the Far North map from SotBE.

Every scenario I've played (All mainline) that has drakes has been very deadly, Lots of causalities and double digit numbers floating above the unit's heads :P, This campaign is going to be like that all the time, Basically 8)

So, anybody want to play it?
Last edited by Pewskeepski on November 11th, 2011, 7:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
bigkahuna

Re: Burning Souls (for 1.9!)

Post by bigkahuna »

I don't see it on the add-on server.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I haven't added it yet, I will soon though.

EDIT: It's on!
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Well, it was short (and the time limit was quite close) but it was a good start to a campaign. A few qualms:

A. Not enough turns.
B. Too many units (and therefore too easy). I went in a circle around the island doing a Pony Express type run (fresh drakes run to the next village and wake up the other drakes) until on turn 5 I had wakened all the drakes but the ones in ~4 villages. From there I just took the leader (and his ship!) really easily.
C. The drakes came out of the villages on a 100% basis. Perhaps have a ~50% chance or such of drakes coming out.
D. The recruiting message (We are being invaded by humans! Help us fight against them!) got old after a while. Perhaps alternate it some?

Besides these it was a fun scenario.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Pewskeepski wrote:As I said before, this is going to be a 15 (2 talk only and 1 epilogue) scenario campaign.
Actually you said it would be a 16 scenario campaign. If you have 15 scenarios to GO, then it's 16 - 1 = 15. :wink:

I think double digit stuff is a bit annoying actually. Drakes usually appear a long way inside campaigns, where double digit stuff is justifiable due to high level units. But if you're starting a campaign with double digit attacks, there's not really much to do is there? You already have a very powerful army with all the units at least level 2...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

bigkahuna wrote:Well, it was short (and the time limit was quite close) but it was a good start to a campaign. A few qualms:
A. Not enough turns.
B. Too many units (and therefore too easy). I went in a circle around the island doing a Pony Express type run (fresh drakes run to the next village and wake up the other drakes) until on turn 5 I had wakened all the drakes but the ones in ~4 villages. From there I just took the leader (and his ship!) really easily.
C. The drakes came out of the villages on a 100% basis. Perhaps have a ~50% chance or such of drakes coming out.
D. The recruiting message (We are being invaded by humans! Help us fight against them!) got old after a while. Perhaps alternate it some?

Besides these it was a fun scenario.
A. More turns have been added
B. Because of 'C' there may be a few times when drakes don't come out, and you'll have to get more villages next turn
C. There's now a chance 0-1 drakes will appear
D. Now they just say "We are being invaded by humans!" I'll look into adding more variation later
Reepurr wrote:Actually you said it would be a 16 scenario campaign. If you have 15 scenarios to GO, then it's 16 - 1 = 15. :wink:

I think double digit stuff is a bit annoying actually. Drakes usually appear a long way inside campaigns, where double digit stuff is justifiable due to high level units. But if you're starting a campaign with double digit attacks, there's not really much to do is there? You already have a very powerful army with all the units at least level 2...
It's a 16 scenario campaign so yeah, oops. :oops:
You start off with only level 1s. And drakes do a lot of damage but also take a lot in return.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Version 0.2 has been added to the server, Which includes the second scenario!
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

I wonder why you put 1.9, in the add-on version ? Is quite confusing.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

ydcl wrote:I wonder why you put 1.9, in the add-on version ? Is quite confusing.
I think 1.9 is the version of Wesnoth required to play the addon, according to Pewskeepski's signature.
R.I.P
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

hhyloc wrote:
ydcl wrote:I wonder why you put 1.9, in the add-on version ? Is quite confusing.
I think 1.9 is the version of Wesnoth required to play the addon, according to Pewskeepski's signature.
ydcl is actually very correct, and Pewskeepski's been rather dumb.

He's decided his campaign is finished and given it version number 1.9 even though it's not finished and so should be given a lower number such as 0.0.1. :wink:

EDIT: Finally slaved through the dialogue and fixed most of the spelling mistakes.
Attachments
01_Mysterious_Raid.cfg
(21.48 KiB) Downloaded 698 times

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Reepurr wrote:
hhyloc wrote: I think 1.9 is the version of Wesnoth required to play the addon, according to Pewskeepski's signature.
ydcl is actually very correct, and Pewskeepski's been rather dumb.

He's decided his campaign is finished and given it version number 1.9 even though it's not finished and so should be given a lower number such as 0.0.1. :wink:

EDIT: Finally slaved through the dialogue and fixed most of the spelling mistakes.
I don't recall there being anything to let me know whether it's talking about the version of the campaign, or Wesnoth. A small mistake that will be fix'd, I don't see how it makes me 'dumb' :annoyed:

Thanks for fixing up scenario 1, Reepurr. Dialogue is my weak point, so any help in that department is most welcome!
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

ok, let me try, to make it clear : You didn't notice, all the "unfinished" campaigns, have the 0.x vs ?
So when you put 1.9 vs, don't expect testing, because with that number, people think the campaign is "finished".
Ah by the way, the topic has already 1.9 vs. Do you think people can't read !?
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

ydcl wrote:Ah by the way, the topic has already 1.9 vs. Do you think people can't read !?
I did it myself, to show which add-on server it was on - not its version. The reason for complaining was that Pewkeepski's addon only appears on 1.9, and yet he still says "1.9" on it.

And my reason for (oops, that was harsh) calling Pewkeepski slightly dumb is that PblWML says:
"required format is x.y.z where x, y and z are numbers and a value for x greater than 0 implies the add-on is complete feature-wise."
Then he could have checked other campaigns and seen what their version numbers are.

Now he'll probably fix it soon and we can shut up about it now.

ydcl

Post by ydcl »

I hope so, because yesterday, it was 0.2.0 on 1.8, and 1.9 on 1.9 vs !What upset me is, we couldn't follow the progress.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

The version thing has been clarified, and I've uploaded Burning Souls 0.3 to the add-ons server! It includes the third scenario and a couple other improvements. Note: You'll unfortunatly have to replay the previous scenaros in order to play scenario 3 because I made changes to scenario 2 and renamed scenario 3.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

And now...

Burning Souls 0.4 is on the add-ons server!
It includes the next scenario and some other modifications, Like a bug fix that made Bilhelds Secret unbeatable.

Feedback is both welcome and appreciated ;)