The Fires of Pride (0.3.0)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jkekoni

Re: The Fires of Pride (0.3.0)

Post by jkekoni »

The dragon
Move Elendar to the Summit of the Mountain
Hmmm. so I need to rent a congress center on the mountains and hold a summit with Rogk.

No actually Summit and Mountain are names of places (or characters, or other proper nouns?), since they are written with capital letters like Elendar.

But the map has no names for places, and no-one is "Mountain", or "Summmit".

Ok wrong again, I think I'll exit full screen to go to wikipedia.
Summit is a meeting of heads of state or government.
Do generals qualify?
In topography, a summit is a point on a surface that is higher in elevation than all points immediately adjacent to it.
Ok, so I need to get Elendar to highest point of mountain.

Except they are impassable!

(11,25) (12,12) and (13,26) are visually among the highest points, that are not impassable. Getting Elendar there however has no effect.

I'll save the situation and read dialogue again.
There it is, my lord, Mount Gronothan.
My lordness assumes that my subject is correct in this, but I see several mountains and have no clue which my subject means.
That is a large mountain. How shall we find the dragon's lair?
Again "That" which refers to ... One of the 10 mountain areas of the map.

... some dialogue with Saurians and Trolls, but no clues where I should go ...

The map is pretty big and elves are no fast on mountains and there is 20 rounds (medium difficulty)...
jkekoni

Post by jkekoni »

Hmmm. I read the source code :oops:. So "that mountain" refers the mountain range north and north east of the keep. I though that it would be some area further north.

And it has actually a well hidden spot that is not impassable, if one looks really really carefully. Combing the mountain is no way easy when there are enemies and even worse the lake is deep water preventing one easy entry, if not entering from correct side of the lake, which is more than likely on first try.

Am I the only one that find this kind of objectives, "not entertaining"?
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hi jkekoni!

Thanks for the feedback. After some thought, I think you are right. Objectives should be spelled out clearly, and not given in 'in-story' language (hey, I knew where the mountain was. What more do you want? :P ). Save the prose for the dialogue and narration.

Public Service Announcement: This campaign has been on hold for almost a year now, but I'm going to be picking it up again sometime soon (graduating next week and picking up a part-time job for a year while I put my life back together, so I'll have a bit of time to put into this thing). It's actually going to get reworked a fair amount; the story is going to be improved and integrated better, the main character is going to be presented differently to emphasize his positive traits (yes, he has a lot, sorry for not communicating that well) over his negative ones, there's going to be more dialogue and events mid-scenarios, I'm going to give some attention to pacing, and I'll also iron out several rather egregious balance errors.

Thank you for playing. If you've got any other comments, I'll be sure to read them.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I'm still having that portrait problem; I'm currently using BfW 1.11.0+svn (r54124) on Xubuntu 12.04.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

As I noted in another thread:
The Fires of Pride seems to have named its images directory "Images", not "images", so I'd expect it to not work on case-sensitive platforms.