Blitz a duel map for super fast play!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pg

Blitz a duel map for super fast play!

Post by pg »

Seems balanced pretty good, but most importantly it's so fast to play. Hard to say if being so small will take away from the depth of the map. Recommended setting of 2g per village.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

maps must be at least 20X20 to function properly. I haven't downloaded. Is it?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
pg

Post by pg »

Yes, it is. 21x21 to be exact. It might be cool to have a map like 10x60 or something though.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Why dont you make a lot of maps and then make them alll zip and then you post them here ???

It would be better than to see 50 topics with maps :wink:
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

to have more feedback....

map balancing is something tricky....

however, with mp map you can have some feedback directly by plying them on devsrv...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
pg

Post by pg »

I've only posted two maps. I doubt I'll ever post 50. If you don't want to read my topics just ignore them as they are clearly multiplayer map topics. If I am cluttering up the forum maybe there should be a forum for just multiplayer maps?

I get most of my feedback by playing players on the multiplayer server and the few comments I've had is the result of me asking players to post feedback. I think part of the problem is most multiplayer players don't frequent this forum and it's more single player focused. Yet it is useful to have someplace where players can download my map if they want to host games. I also link to them in the wiki for multiplayer maps.

It's not like multiplayer maps are easy to make either. Balance is much harder than single player maps IMO if only because of how much harder it is to test. I do test at least a few games with the CPU but humans play very differently. It is hard to find people to test maps with you. My maps seem to play fairly well so far but I've only tested both about 50 turns total versus real people.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

its a lot easier to balance when you have a friend/relative who lives nearby and is willing to help you balance the map several times. :) also, that way you can be in the same room and be talking about map balance, rather than having to use the chat mode, which doesn't convey ideas as well IMHO...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Good map...
the first player can take the villages at 8,11 and 14,11 easily and overpower the sea battle; I would get rid of the villages.
water units are overpowered; I can often win by recruiting only mermen. Maybe you should eliminate some of the fords...
pg

Post by pg »

Yes I've noticed the same. I am not sure if it's exactly the maps fault though. Some factions have very weak or no water units at all so they struggle a bit on the map. I am thinking eventually everyone will have a decent water unit but maybe I am wrong. I have to test this but it maybe possible to win by ignoring the water completely and doing an all out attack on one side of the map. I am also testing a slightly altered version which weakens water(smaller, 2 less villages) and makes the bottleneck bridges on the side of the map easier to bypass.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

pg wrote:I am thinking eventually everyone will have a decent water unit but maybe I am wrong.
it's still boring to use only them though...
pg wrote:I have to test this but it maybe possible to win by ignoring the water completely and doing an all out attack on one side of the map.
If the opponent is blocking off the pass with water units, you can't.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

pg wrote:Yes I've noticed the same. I am not sure if it's exactly the maps fault though. Some factions have very weak or no water units at all so they struggle a bit on the map. I am thinking eventually everyone will have a decent water unit but maybe I am wrong. I have to test this but it maybe possible to win by ignoring the water completely and doing an all out attack on one side of the map. I am also testing a slightly altered version which weakens water(smaller, 2 less villages) and makes the bottleneck bridges on the side of the map easier to bypass.
no, sorry, everyone won't eventually have a good water unit. everyone will get units that can pass deep water; right now, everyone does, but some have flying units that have 50% everywhere. the advantage to them is they can go everywhere, not just on water.

(right now, northerners rebels and loyalists have water units. dwarves, undead and drakes don't.)
The World of Orbivm
pg

Post by pg »

Dacyn wrote:it's still boring to use only them though...
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking it's rebalanced some now(basically what I said before). New version below.
turin wrote:no, sorry, everyone won't eventually have a good water unit. everyone will get units that can pass deep water; right now, everyone does, but some have flying units that have 50% everywhere. the advantage to them is they can go everywhere, not just on water.

(right now, northerners rebels and loyalists have water units. dwarves, undead and drakes don't.)
I didn't say good water unit I said decent. If you look at dwarves in multiplayer they are helpless in the water even races like undead and drakes are much better off. Seems weird if you would only use certain races on maps with water or other terrains. :? Dwarves should be able to play well on the map now that it's changed however.
casueps

Post by casueps »

This map rocks. I think there are a lot of times where people want a quick game and there weren't good small maps at the moment IMHO, and this one is really fun. I sometimes see the lobby with 3 or 4 games with this map.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

casueps wrote:This map rocks. I think there are a lot of times where people want a quick game and there weren't good small maps at the moment IMHO, and this one is really fun. I sometimes see the lobby with 3 or 4 games with this map.
I tried using Undead on it... believe me, that was NOT a quick game.

(I dislike this map for other reasons... I generally don't like 2-way maps. Though I like my own 3-way map...)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
grochti

Post by grochti »

I think EP doesn´t like your map because its to small for his standart procedure of recruiting a castle full of bats in turn 1 :wink: .

My trolls killed dozens of lvl 0 undead creatures. 4 or 5 advanced to lvl2 and EP suddenly had no more time on his hand. :twisted: