Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Enmerkar

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by Enmerkar »

Thanks for that!
Good point that makes things easier, I thought in many ways like you.

Ok, I found a tutorial on the forums (more than a tutorial, it's actually a complete process!) to translate into French. It implies already some proofreadings.
Once I get logged there (it's strict :D ) I'll keep you posted about the translations.

Keep in touch!
En
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Just a word to say translations are very easy to implement in a campaign. See: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesCamp#Prepari ... or_WesCamp
The main work is adding a #textdomain declaration in all your .cfg file. Even if you're not planning to allow translations soon, it's probably a good idea to prepare files early. The translations files are created automatically when the add_on is uploaded with translate=true in its _main file.

@Enmerkar: see you soon on the French translations mail list.
Friendly,
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

In scenario 3 "Inky Goes Fishing":
if Giant Clam kills the human, it says "Those bipeds are almost as tasty as the fish.".
If looks a little weird for monster, who can say nothing but "Gaaa!"

In scenario 4 "The haunted ford":
If someone kills ghost, it will say "By now you should know that you cannot stop me!" and spawn Zombie :shock:. I think "Wight" will suit better in this case.
If Walking Cormse kills enemy, two units will spawn: other WC from "plague" weapon special and Wight from "recruitment" of undead. You can explain it as "split soul and body", but it looks weird anyway.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Enmerkar - if you find any confusing lines I didn't mention, tell me and I will add them to the tranlation guide
Spoiler:
@pyrophorus - the campaign already obeys (or at least should obey, unless I did some mistake) most of the rules you linked except being marked for translation in the .pbl file. However, I have few questions:
  • How can I provide the translators with the translation notes I posted in this thread? I could add it in the first post, but I don't know how many trabslators read this forum and I think it would be useful for them.
  • Can I translate my campaign myself without joining any translator team or WesCamp? I'd like to translate my campaign to my native language, but I don't think that I would have time, will or skill to translate other people's creations, so I think joining the translators just for one task might be dishonest on my part.
  • EDIT: The scenario "Inky Goes Fishing" uses string "Fish Caught" to count number of mermen slain. In English "fish" is both singular and plaral, but this is not the case in other languages. What should I do to make this sentence gramaticaly correct in both languages?
I'm sorry if answers to my questions are on the wiki and I just missed them.

@xudojnik
Inky Goes Fishing: This scenario was added earlier than the Giant Clams, which is the reason for this weirdness. Similiar thing happens in "Drowned Dwarves' Day". In "Inky Goes Fishing" I could add some filter, as the line is said eveyr time you kill a human, so if sometimes it's replaced with "Gaaa!" it wouldn't change much. However, in Drowned Dwarves' Day it happens with one-time moveto events, where making the sentence unintelligible would ruin the event.
The Haunted Ford: I wanted two different level 0 units for the undead - one for "downgrade" of the starting undead and one for "recruited" enemies. This is because I wanted them to say different lines when killed. I choose the "recruited" undead to be ghostly, so it can be created from units of different shapes (humans, mermen, molluscs) without being weird and I just left the WC for the "starting undead".
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Telchin wrote:@pyrophorus - the campaign already obeys (or at least should obey, unless I did some mistake) most of the rules you linked except being marked for translation in the .pbl file. However, I have few questions:
  • How can I provide the translators with the translation notes I posted in this thread? I could add it in the first post, but I don't know how many trabslators read this forum and I think it would be useful for them.
  • Can I translate my campaign myself without joining any translator team or WesCamp? I'd like to translate my campaign to my native language, but I don't think that I would have time, will or skill to translate other people's creations, so I think joining the translators just for one task might be dishonest on my part.
  • EDIT:In English "fish" is both singular and plural...
According to my dictionary, plural form of fish is fishes.
That said, I know it's possible to include translations notes in the .po files, but I don't remember how. Edit: but I found this link.

Second, yes, you can translate your campaign yourself. You don't need to join the translators team to use Wescamp. Since you declare your campaign translatable, Wescamp will create automatically the various .po files for each known language (much more easier than doing it by yourself). You can then get the .po file for your language on the Wescamp server and translate it. .po files editors like poedit will create the .mo file you need to put in your translation folder. The .po file itself should be uploaded on the Wescamp server (send it to Espreon or to the language maintainer), but for now, direct integration of new translations on the add_ons server is broken. You must do it yourself and then upgrade your add_on.

HTH
Last edited by pyrophorus on July 4th, 2012, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caoraivoso3

Post by caoraivoso3 »

i just have two questions how to download and how to install
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

caoraivoso3 wrote:i just have two questions how to download and how to install
Click the add-on button in Wesnoth and search the add-on list. It will be downloaded and installed automatically.
lipk

Post by lipk »

According to my dictionary, plural form of fish is fishes.
I believe seeing "fishes" used as a plural form, but only when referring to "multiple species" rather than "multiple animals". When talking about the concrete, swimming, eatable creatures, then they're just "fish".
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I just d/led, there is a graphics glitch, the nagas turn into merman when they are attacked in scenario1, normal.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Sorry for late response. I keep mentioning my lack of time every other post and it doesn't seem to get better even during the summer break. (Or I'm just bad at time management).
Anyway, I've just uploading version 1.2.1 - it is marked for translation, so unless I did some mistake, it should be translatable. I'm looking forward for translations and I'll paste the translation guide in the first post (until I find some better way to show it to the potential translators). Also, if I want to make Czech translations myself, what shoul I do next?
I believe seeing "fishes" used as a plural form, but only when referring to "multiple species" rather than "multiple animals". When talking about the concrete, swimming, eatable creatures, then they're just "fish".
That's what my dictionary says and why I mentioned that problem (i.e. it's one string in English, but should have multiple translations in other languages)
I just d/led, there is a graphics glitch, the nagas turn into merman when they are attacked in scenario1, normal.
I looked into the files and even tried to run the scenario, but I didn't encountered that bug. Did it happen to anybody else?
EDIT: I've noticed that Wesnoth unit database doesn't display the custom units in my campaign (it shows only one). I've already mentioned it on the website forum, but didn't get any answer. Does anybody knows what's going on?
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

I see that you wish to have your campaign translated; sadly, it has a couple of problems:

- Your textdomain is “wesnoth-InkyQuest” instead of “wesnoth-Inky_Quest”; it needs to be the latter.
- The path in your [textdomain] block’s broken; change it to “data/add-ons/Inky_Quest/translations”.

So, just fix these problems, change all your textdomain bindings to “#textdomain wesnoth-Inky_Quest”, reupload, and all will be well.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I've released version 1.2.2 that should have fixed the bugs Espreon mentioned. It's possible that I missed something, so tell me if there are still problems with the translation.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I've played the first scenario again after updating, the sprite issue is gone now :)
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I'm playing it now. I like it a lot. There are a few typos that I noticed, but I don't know exactly where they are. Plus I haven't finished. If you want me to fix it up for you I'd be happy to, if not then I'm happy to tell you where the typos and incorrect grammar are.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@TheScribe - do you have the most recent version (1.2.2) released today? That said any typos from older versions might persist to the most recent one. I think I speak English rather well, but it's not my first language, so mistakes and typos are probable. I will appreciate if you tell me what to change. I'd like to make this campaign translatable, so I want the English version to be correct.