Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheScribe

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by TheScribe »

I looked through the first four scenarios, and found the following typos:
Spoiler:
P.S. I'll look at the rest later. Great campaign!
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@TheScribe - Thanks, I will wait until you check the entire campaign before releasing a fixed version. If you want to look at the text without playing (i.e. having the story spoiled for you), you may look at WesCamp. That said if you enjoy plaing it more than spellchecking, I suggest you play the rest of the campaing first and then look at the files to double-check any typos you missed during the playthrough.
quincy

Post by quincy »

I finished this campaign, and it has a lot of cool new stuff. When I first saw globsters, I thought that it was stupid. Then I used them in combat, and I loved them. I got a lot of walking corpses from two globsters. I do think they make it too easy in The Divining Pool. The last stone was broken when I got a walking bat corpse. Also, the image for the stone should change when it is destroyed.

In Drowned Dwarves day, no dwarves drowned. When they got in deep water, they couldn't move and had 0% percent defense, making 4-10 overpowered... Instead they should say something such as "I can't swim!!!" like the trolls do and die.

Edit: Also, almost every time I face a boss who isn't near water, I win when that boss attacks one of my units who is right near the water. Even in the last scenario, the Lichen Lord attacked my tentacle and got slaughtered. I know it isn't something you can fix easily, but it makes the campaign much easier. Here is a replay of the last level, though the post summarizes it.
Attachments
IQ-Burial_at_Sea_replay.gz
Burial At Sea
(38.86 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
IQ-The_Divining_Pool_replay.gz
The Divining Pool Replay
(73.42 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Also, the image for the stone should change when it is destroyed.
Are you sure it doesn't change? On my computer it does. If it doesn't it's a bug.
In Drowned Dwarves day, no dwarves drowned. When they got in deep water, they couldn't move and had 0% percent defense, making 4-10 overpowered... Instead they should say something such as "I can't swim!!!" like the trolls do and die.
The dwarves in the water should lose 8 hp every turn. If they don't it's a bug. I didn't want them to die instantly, as it would make the scenario even easier than it is ( and it is already easy thanks to their 0% defense you mentioned).
Also, almost every time I face a boss who isn't near water, I win when that boss attacks one of my units who is right near the water.
I think of it as a feature rather than a bug. Knowing your favorable terrain (forest for elves, mountains for dwarves, etc.) is a fundamental part of Wesnoth gameplay.
quincy

Post by quincy »

Telchin wrote: Are you sure it doesn't change? On my computer it does. If it doesn't it's a bug.
Wait, never mind. Guess I was wrong.
Telchin wrote: The dwarves in the water should lose 8 hp every turn. If they don't it's a bug.
They do.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

So, after several blocks of inactivity, I present to you...
...a German translation!
Attachments
Inky.7z
(50.22 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

After very long inaction I released version 1.2.5!
What's new:
  • New Gargantuan Clam sprite by homunculus
  • Czech translation by myself
  • German translation by Drakefriend
This is the first version of Inky's Quest that includes translations. If you speak Czech or German and like this campaign I urge you to check if the translations are working and/or if there are any typos and tell me. (There should be at least one untranslated sentence - the list of translators in the campaign's credits :lol2: ) If you don't speak any of those languages this version might not be worthy of downloading the campaign again (unless you want to see homuculus's new gargantuan clam animation).
And now some notes on the general development of this campaign. As you might notice from the fact that there was half year between this update and the last, my lack of time to improve this campaign isn't getting any better. To say it bluntly, "not getting kicked out from the university" has a higher priority. That said, I still intend to maintain this campaign. I will update it when the next version of BfW comes out, am willing to listen to your comments and even have some ideas for future expansion. However, I can't tell when I'll have time to implement that. Maybe in summer, maybe in winter, maybe when first humans land on Mars. Thanks for understanding.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

Hey,

I played IQ a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. This self-ironic style and the humoristic dialogues are really refreshing. Like every new campaign I played it on easy. Although I don't consider myself an outstanding player, it was a walk in the park for me. (Except the Divining Pool, on which I chose the wrong strategy which caused me to finish in the very last turn.) But that's okay since you've pointed out more than once, that the campaign is supposed to be easy.
One suggestion: I'd recommend to cut down the number of villages in the first half of the campaign. Or place them farther away from the initial position. Or put them on firm ground so that the player has to decide whether they want to capture village or rather have the units on (or in) good terrain. I suggest this because I usually ended up with tons of gold. I normally had the same amount of gold at the end as at the beginning - before the early finish bonus was added. Maybe this is less of a "problem" on higher difficulties, I can't tell.
Apart from that: Great Work!

Edit: I tried to get the translated version by using the "update add-onn function" in the game menu but it did'nt work. What do I have to do?
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Thanks for enjoying my campaign!
I tried to get the translated version by using the "update add-onn function" in the game menu but it did'nt work. What do I have to do?
Unfortunately, I don't know. This is my first atempt at translating campaign, so it's possible that there is some bug that I'm not aware of. Is it possible to download the campaign normally?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Telchin wrote:
Elfarion wrote: I tried to get the translated version by using the "update add-onn function" in the game menu but it did'nt work. What do I have to do?
Unfortunately, I don't know. This is my first atempt at translating campaign, so it's possible that there is some bug that I'm not aware of. Is it possible to download the campaign normally?
I run it on Deutsch of BfW 1.10.5, and it seems to work fine, although I cannot read German.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I run it on Deutsch of BfW 1.10.5, and it seems to work fine, although I cannot read German.
I tried it on my computer before publishing and it seemed to work on both Czech (Čeština) and German (Deutsch), but I wasn't sure if it works for other users as well. Good to hear that it does.
As for reading German, I have some basic knowledge of German, but it's not enough to translate a campaign, so I must trust Drakefriend that his translation is correct. The Czech translation was done by myself, so if ther are mistakes it's my fault.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I will see if I can get the german translation as soon as I get my PC back. You'll hear from me.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Version 1.3.0 released! One new scenario!
This means that since I first released Inky's Quest (on 1.8 branch) the number of playable scenarios has doubled (from 6 to 12)! The new scenario is named "Changing of the Guard" which takes place between "The Divining Pool" and "Old Lich and the Sea". It features the blind saurian Sosarix trying to take over the Divining Pool after you destroyed its previous guardians, so you have to protect the pool yourself (hence the scenario's name). I added the scenario for storyline rather than gameplay reasons, so I'd like to know your opinion on several issues:
  • The scenario uses fog that disappears after you kill four enemy leaders. My original idea was that killing each leader would lift the fog on a portion of the map. However, if Wesnoth wiki is to be believed, this action would only become avaible in versions 1.11 and later while this is a campaign for version 1.10. (I knew that removing shroud in an area is avaible and thought that fog would be the same. I was wrong.) At least you have something to look forward in future incarnations of this campaign.
  • Every time you kill an enemy leader all other enemy leaders get bonus gold and increased income. This is because I wanted multiple enemy leaders for story purposes (see above), but I didn't want them to overwhelm you, so they have low starting gold and get this cheat to remain competive later. This feature works as intended, but I found an error in the wiki. The [store_side] stores the side's total income (including villages), but the wiki claims it stores only the basic income ([modify_side] modifies only the basic income). Not sure if this issue is known.
  • I'm afraid that this scenario's objectives are too complex. Hopefully the story explains them, but they might be confusing. I even had a problem with coming up with a name for the scenario because there are so many things going on.
In addition to the new scenario there are also some changes to the rest of the campaign:
  • Both Giant Clam and Gargantuan Clam use animated sprites by homunculus.
  • "The Divining Pool" has increased time limit, so you are better prepared for the new scenario.
  • Ravyan gets special reinforcements in "Burial at Sea" because people wanted the final scenario to be harder. Tell me if you think it's a tomato surprise.
  • To counterbalance the above mentioned change, you get more starting gold and Master Sea Head gets the "battle healing" weapon special (previously seen on Sosarix) in "Burial at Sea".
  • The epilogue is slightly improved, namely it reuses the first scenario's map rather than {NO_MAP_DATA}.
  • I fixed some typos in the Czech translations. The new scenario and the above mentioned changes are untranslated as I'd like to get audience's opinions on them first. The German translation is unchanged (as it isn't done by me).
I hope you'll enjoy the new version as much (or more) as the previous ones.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Version 1.3.1 - same as version 1.3.0, but I've added Giant Clam's walking animations by homunculus.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Version 1.3.3 released - now with updated Czech translation. No changes for users of other languages. Thanks to Espreon for helping me in making this campaign translatable.