Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Telchin

Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by Telchin »

This is a thread for my cuttlefish campaign Inky's Quest. It used to be for 1.8, 1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 branches, now also for 1.16 branch! This campaign includes:
  • Completed storyline, 12 scenarios
  • Custom faction of various molluscs, from humble tentacles to powerful Krakens
  • Sea based battles against both marine wildlife and land-dwellers
  • A stupid lich who can control mushrooms
  • Translations - Czech (myself), German (Drakefriend), Japanese (tamanegi), Russian (TreefeedXavier)
Original first post:
Spoiler:
How can you help?
  • Graphics - it doesn't have any custom portraits or storyline graphics and all custom sprites are just recolored mainline sprites.
  • Storyline - I consider it finished, but some dialogues may be awkward as I am not a native speaker of English.
  • Balance - see above
  • Other ideas
Version 1.2.4 should be translatable. This is the translation guide to make the translation easier. Potential translators should read this:
Spoiler:
EDIT: New feature - feedback threads for individual scenarios. Link to the list here, links to individual threads in the spoiler below. Please note that I'm not going to check those threads as often as this one, so don't be discouraged if I don't respond to your replayes/reviews/ideas immediately. I still appreciate your fedback, it just might take some time for me to react. You can still post questions about the campaign as whole in this thread.

EDIT: Version 1.6.3 released - fixed Czech translation in 1.6.2
EDIT: Version 1.6.2 released! Now with new Globster ability!
EDIT: Version 1.6.1 released! Fixed typos found by Konrad2 and updated the Czech translation
EDIT: Version 1.6.0 released! This is the first version for the 1.16 branch!
EDIT: Version 1.5.8 released - fixed a bug in scenario 3
EDIT: Version 1.5.7 released - fixed some typos, no gameplay changes
EDIT: Version 1.5.6 released - changes in scenarios 7, 10, 11 and 12 (see page 17 of this thread for details)
EDIT: Version 1.5.5 released, now with a link to this thread. If you dowloaded 1.5.4 and are reading this, you don't have to download 1.5.5 :)
EDIT: Version 1.5.4 released - change od Master Sea Head's movement, the campaign should give correct laurels for completion, fixed some bugs.
EDIT: Version 1.5.3 released - change of objectives in the 4th scenario. I'm looking for opinions if it's change for the better.
EDIT: Version 1.5.2 released -small change to dialogues in the first scenario (translations might be obsolete)
EDIT: Version 1.5.1 released - Czech and Japanese translations are updated, the rest might be obsolete.
EDIT: Version 1.5.0 released! This is the first version for the 1.14 branch!
EDIT: Version 1.4.3 released - now with Russian translation!
EDIT: Version 1.4.2 released - now with Japanese translation
Last edited by Telchin on July 7th, 2023, 6:44 pm, edited 57 times in total.
homunculus

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by homunculus »

02 TRAIT_sTRONG
04 deaths.cfg included in a way that the game does not recognize.

then it started.
i wonder how you could start the campaign without editing those?
; )
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

This is not a very valuable information, but straight to point:

If you submit campaign like this specifying for what version it is designed is vital. I suspect that its current stable 1.8.x?

As for campaign itself I cant say much since I didn't play it but if it has such a twist like Ooze Mini Campaign by SpenceLack its definitely worth a try. If it has other twist then this I mentioned it can be worth a try even more. Or be at least musthave like feral for bats.

As for main enemy... Well its always up to campaign designer. For example in Hammer of Thursagan orcs are allied with dwarfs. (But final enemy is a lich too!)

And last but not least: To publish this campaign on add-on server you have to have your .pbl file name be the same as your campaign folder name. File .pbl must be outside your campaign folder. This is not specified in the wiki so I think this is the case.

Its quite important to have your creations on server since topics tends to go to lower pages if there is not too many responds.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Wesbane - Yes, I made it with 1.8.4 version. I should edit the first post to add it. The wiki mentions the .pbl file, but I'm not sure how to make one. :oops:
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Wesbane wrote:And last but not least: To publish this campaign on add-on server you have to have your .pbl file name be the same as your campaign folder name. File .pbl must be outside your campaign folder. This is not specified in the wiki so I think this is the case.
It is possible also to place a file called _server.pbl in your campaign folder, and it will work as well.
Anyway, at least on Linux, the images aren't shown due to wrong binary paths: in your _main.cfg you wrote

Code: Select all

"userdata/data/add-ons/Inky_Quest/images/units/cuttlefish/young-cuttlefish.png~RC(magenta>red)"
"userdata/data/add-ons/Inky_Quest/images/units/cuttlefish/kraken.png~RC(magenta>red)"
[binary_path]
    path=userdata/data/add-ons/Inky_Quest
[/binary_path]
Remove "userdata/" from each of the lines that I copied from your _main.cfg, and this will be fixed. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Pbl file is a plain text file. Its name as I already mentioned should be exactly like your campaign folder name with .pbl extension:
Here_goes_name_of_your_brand_new_campaign_folder.pbl

Below is an example of what usually can be found in such a file:

title="Here goes title of your brand new campaign"
type="campaign"
icon="units/monsters/cuttlefish-something.png"
version="0.1.2"
author="Your artistic nick"
description="Ultra fantastic description for your campaign aka any informations that you find useful and will attract users not only to play it but also provide feedback"
passphrase="Yourpassword"
email="youremailaddress@host.domain"
Pbl file notes:
Game is looking for images in yourgamedirectory/data/core/images so it should be omitted.

From my experience pass phrase can be as complicated as you wish. Its good to do so since you do not have to know this password. Its just written in a file to verify that you and only you can update content you have uploaded. So don't accidentally throw it out.

More informations about this subject you can find under this address:
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/BuildingCampaignsThePBLFile

Better check it since I could explain it all wrong!
EDIT: It's for 1.8 branch. It works on my computer with version 1.8.4, not sure about other versions.
Things made for whatever revision of stable version currently 1.8.x works for any depend less this is 1.8.0 or 1.8.5
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Wesbane wrote:Pbl file is a plain text file. Its name as I already mentioned should be exactly like your campaign folder name with .pbl extension:
Here_goes_name_of_your_brand_new_campaign_folder.pbl
... See the wiki again.
wiki: PblWML wrote:(On Wesnoth 1.8+, it is "_server.pbl")
On 1.8+, name your .pbl folder _server.pbl and place it INSIDE your campaign folder. Here is my .pbl file for a working example. [/shameless_half_advertising]

title="Sweet Revenge"
type="campaign"
icon="units/human-outlaws/assassin-throwknife1.png"
version="0.2.1"
author="Bigkahuna"
passphrase="********"
description="After some old enemies kill his father seemingly out of spite, Rheoran is determined to get revenge at any cost.
Simultaneously, a rebellion is put into motion that could change the course of history forever.

(Intermediate level - 9 Scenarios out of ~16 planned)."
email="***********"
translate="yes"
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Thanks for advices, but I still haven't managed to upload it. I have text file named _server.pbl in my campaign folder and I have put the campaign folder in data/campaigns/ (as the Wiki suggest). Now when I start the game and select Add-ons in the main menu, there should be "Publish campaign" after the list of avaible add-ons (at least the wiki says so). I get the list of add-ons, but there isn't the publishing option. I have no idea what am I doing wrong. :hmm:
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Telchin wrote:data/campaigns/
No. Put it in "userdata/add-ons/"
Join the new R2D forum!
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@bigkahuna I have tried userdata/add-ons/, userdata/data/ and userdata/data/add-ons and still not managed it.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Sorry. I meant "userdata/data/add-ons/".

I have no idea why yours is not working. Just place your campaign in the folder with all the other user-made add-ons, wherever it is :| If that doesn't work, then you have more pathing problems in your code.
Join the new R2D forum!
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

bigkahuna wrote:... See the wiki again.
Both methods are working and this is just up to designer what he will choose.
To notice that read what Elvish_Hunter wrote or test yourself if you like.
Telchin wrote:I have tried userdata/add-ons/, userdata/data/ and userdata/data/add-ons and still not managed it.
My advice is:
Download user made content. Something small. And find out where it goes. This is the place where your campaign should go.
Last edited by Wesbane on December 20th, 2010, 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

05 has side 6 defined twice, the second side 6 should be side 7, it seems.

and if it so happens that you are ever going to refactor it, imho a bit smaller maps and less recruiting is a good thing (recruiting tends to be boring, and moving 25 units over a medium/large map can be bit tedious).
it is nice that the maps have not been epic large so far.
Wesbane wrote:This is not a very valuable information, but straight to point:

If you submit campaign like this specifying for what version it is designed is vital. I suspect that its current stable 1.8.x?

As for campaign itself I cant say much since I didn't play it but if it has such a twist like Ooze Mini Campaign by SpenceLack its definitely worth a try. If it has other twist then this I mentioned it can be worth a try even more.[...]
to me it doesn't really matter if it is for 1.8 or 1.9, in 1.9 it works (except for the issues that i have found so far, which probably wouldn't work in 1.8 either).
there are just some warnings about deprecated wml, that's the main difference, i guess.
i don't really feel guilty at all for playing it in 1.9 while i should probably be playing it in 1.8.

and if you are looking for something like the ooze campaign but different, then to me it seems you might like this one.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

My advice is:
Download user made content. Something small. And find out where it goes. This is the place where your campaign should go.
Then it should be userdata/data/add-ons. However it still doesn't work :cry: I have at least attached uptaded zip file with fixes of few bugs you people have mentioned.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

homunculus wrote:[...]to me it doesn't really matter if it is for 1.8 or 1.9, in 1.9 it works (except for the issues that i have found so far, which probably wouldn't work in 1.8 either).
there are just some warnings about deprecated wml, that's the main difference, i guess.
i don't really feel guilty at all for playing it in 1.9 while i should probably be playing it in 1.8.

and if you are looking for something like the ooze campaign but different, then to me it seems you might like this one.
I do that too. But from this you have wrote it seemed that at current stage it contains some serious bugs. And I rather prefer to play campaign then debug it. Thanks for info anyway and I will definitely try it when author will remove some of more annoying issues it contains. What hopefully was made about now?
Telchin wrote:Then it should be userdata/data/add-ons. However it still doesn't work :cry: I have at least attached uptaded zip file with fixes of few bugs you people have mentioned.
If you are sure that everything is where it should be rename _server.pbl to your campaign folder name that is Inky_Quest.pbl and place it outside campaign folder in add-ons
Last edited by Wesbane on December 20th, 2010, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.