Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tr0ll

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by tr0ll »

So the Trench designation is kinda like Lord for elves and humans :D
Well Master Sea Head is very old so i would expect to see barnacles on the less flexible parts. Btw whatever happened to Inky's mama?
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Btw whatever happened to Inky's mama?
Honestly, I'm not sure how does reproductive cycle of giant squids work (would that be even suitable for this game? Isnt't it PG-13?) and it's not like we see mothers of most campaign protagonists anyway.
hebetude

Post by hebetude »

I noticed a couple of bugs. Wesnoth 1.10.0, campaign version 1.1.0:
  1. In the Divining Pool scenario, the Eternal Slave speaks whenever its side kills a unit; it should probably be silent after the first time.
  2. Also in that scenario, the undead side gets an extra zombie after every kill -- when the killing unit is a zombie, two new zombies are created. Not very plausible!
  3. At various places, unstore_unit is used without find_vacant. This destroyed three of my units, including two loyal ones.
It's a fun campaign. Quite easy on Hard, but maybe that's okay. I feel that there are too many villages on most maps.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Version 1.1.1. It should fix the unstore_unit bug that hebetude mentioned. The undead in the Divining Pool can still produce two corpses from one kill. It's not plausible, but it gives the player more corpses to kill.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

but undead arent as tasty! :P
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I've recently noticed that in the 1.10 version of Eastern Invasion there is a weapon special named shock. As my campaign has electric eels I felt it was fitting for their attack to have this ability, so I released new version of Inky's Quest (1.1.2). However, this ability has only a minor effect on actual gameplay, so the eels still has magical attack as well and If you played previous version of my campaign this change is not enough of reason to download it again.
Fonzo

Post by Fonzo »

Ive played through Inkys quest and I must say I loved it. Lots of humor, nice creatures and a nice story line. Congratulations on a nice campaign. The only thing I could wish for is for it to be a tine bit longer (now that Ive finished the campaign, I actually miss my molluscs!!!).

The only thing that was a bit of a bummer was that I only got Inky to lvl 4 in the last scenario, just one round before the escape, so I really didnt have any time to use him.

Suggestions (even though it is really good): More scenarios?
Some magic items?
I would also love to see maybe one or two more loyal squiddies that have a name and a character.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Fonzo - I'm glad that you liked my campaign. As for adding new scenarios - I'm not exactly opposed to it, in fact I started with six scenarios and later two more (A Mussel in Distress and The Divining Pool) were added based on users' feedback. However, a new scenario should fit into the storyline (probably somewhere in the middle) and match mechanical constraints of Inky's units (i.e. lots of water). I'm thinking about Drakes (as they can fly over water and live on islands in the ocean), but some ideas would be welcome. I can't tell if and when I will have time to add some new scenario though.
As for magic items, I don't think they would make sense as the cuttlefish don't wear clothes or weapons, do they? As for more loyal squids, I'd like to add some dialogue for those already present (Squiddy and Beaky)first, because they currently don't have any. I'd like to get some ideas on it as their survival isn't mandatory, so the dialogue should make sense both with and without their lines.
Fonzo

Post by Fonzo »

Telchin wrote:@Fonzo - I'm glad that you liked my campaign. As for adding new scenarios - I'm not exactly opposed to it, in fact I started with six scenarios and later two more (A Mussel in Distress and The Divining Pool) were added based on users' feedback. However, a new scenario should fit into the storyline (probably somewhere in the middle) and match mechanical constraints of Inky's units (i.e. lots of water). I'm thinking about Drakes (as they can fly over water and live on islands in the ocean), but some ideas would be welcome. I can't tell if and when I will have time to add some new scenario though.
As for magic items, I don't think they would make sense as the cuttlefish don't wear clothes or weapons, do they? As for more loyal squids, I'd like to add some dialogue for those already present (Squiddy and Beaky)first, because they currently don't have any. I'd like to get some ideas on it as their survival isn't mandatory, so the dialogue should make sense both with and without their lines.
As for magic items, Ive played a campaign or two in D&D (as the venerable RPGer I am) where creatures like Krakens have magical rings on their tentacles or wield different types of wands. As long as they are intelligent so....could even get some sort of comical comment about this for example if you take the magical wand an enemy could say something like "Hell, that fish doesnt even know which one is the dangerous end of the stick" before Beaky blast them with it and say something like "Well, I think I got the hang of it". The same could be valid for a giant two handed sword that you use with a couple tentacles (this could also make the squiddies a bit better in close combat even when they are wounded).

Another suggestion is that maybe you can add octopus as a race? They are different species.
Spoiler:
So, some suggestions of what to do. I dont know what you think about them but feel free to use them to expand pooor Inkys quest. If you add 2 more (or more) maps, I would recommend to give the creatures more levels, since they will be needed. Maybe some sort of ultra stealth squid (since the real creatures are masters of camouflage) that is so good at hiding that it actually has high resistances.

One question though. Outside of this campaign I cant get the squid monsters unlocked in my library. How come?
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Fonzo - Sorry for delayed response:
Outside of this campaign I cant get the squid monsters unlocked in my library. How come?
This is normal fate of campaign-only units. The game help distinguishes two groups of units. First, there are those in data/core/units. This include all default era units and also many other (generaly those used in multiple campaigns). If you meet one of the, it's unlocked in the help and you can view it later both in campaigns and multiplayer. Second, there are campaign-only units that are included in the campaign's folder. Those appear in the help only if you play that campaign. I suppose it's because such units are often meant for particular unique characters (like Kaleh from UtBS) an thus their inclusion in the help outside of that campaign would be just a waste of space.
Another suggestion is that maybe you can add octopus as a race? They are different species.

Well, I would need some sprite as I lack artistic talents (I got the Giant Clam sprite from homunculus. The rest of custom unit art is just horrible defilement of mainline unit sprites ). Also, how would be it different from the cuttlefish? The octopus have only eight arms so it might have less strikes, but what advantage would it have? Maybe make it a vampire octopus :twisted: , so it balances the swarm disability by draing life?
As for magic items, Ive played a campaign or two in D&D (as the venerable RPGer I am) where creatures like Krakens have magical rings on their tentacles or wield different types of wands.
Well, I have never played D&D, so I can't confirm or deny it. That said one of jokes in my campaign is that the enemies (except Ravyan) consider the cuttlefish mere animals and one wonders that animals with magic wands might be suspicious :whistle:
When I was thinking of another scenario I was rather thinking of a final showdown.
I agree that the final scenario is rather anticlimatic. I might consider your ideas, but I don't promise anything. Thanks for feedback anyway. :wink:
Fonzo

Post by Fonzo »

Well, when it comes to an octopus, it must have one hell of a hiding. Those things are invisible when they choose to.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Yay, this thread has reached threedigit number of posts :D
If you add 2 more (or more) maps, I would recommend to give the creatures more levels, since they will be needed.
Well, most mainline units, including campaign heroes go only to level 3 and this campaign is shorter than most mainline campaigns :hmm:
Well, when it comes to an octopus, it must have one hell of a hiding. Those things are invisible when they choose to.
You can already access some invisibility with submerging Trench Hunters and level 4 Inky. Don't get me wrong, I'm not strictly opposed to adding new units, but there are some issues:
  • Art. My drawing skills are lackluster. So either somebody does a new unit sprite for me (as happened with Giant Clam) or it should be done easily by frankensteining mainline sprites (Magic Tentacles are just recolored Tentacles from the Deep)
  • It should provide something new to the faction. For example Magic Tentacles were added because the cuttlefish have swarm attack, making healing even more important than for normal units.
  • Ideally, the new unit should be introduced in a scenario where it's useful. For example, the Giant Clam is your only unit with pierce resistance and it's introduced when you fight pierce-using mermen.
As for your idea for a new final scenario, I mostly like it. High Risk, Low Tide is purposefully easy for two resons: 1) Ravyan is weakened by your breaking his source of power, so it makes sense for him to start with low HP (and him recovering is a loss condition) 2)I was tired making previous scenarios and wanted the campaign finished. :oops: However, I agree that more challenging final battle might be better. My problem is what to do with High Risk, Low Tide? I want to keep it for story reasons, but if Ravyan retreats after being attacked (and how to prevent him from dying?) the scenario would collapse into "bring Sea Head to marked spot while no enemy can touch him". Maybe making Ravyan absent for one scenario and add some new enemy and new victory condition? Maybe the new enemy could be introduced in a new scenario adding a new unit type (and then return at the end of the campaign)? Also I would like the final scenario to include some non-undead enemies, as both Inky and Sea Head have poison attack and I didn't want it to be useless.
Also some more random ideas:
  • What about giving Giant Clams 10% fire resistance (20% with steadfast)? It might not make much sense, but they're introduced in a scenario with an enemy Red Mage? Would this resistance be a good idea if I added a scenario with Drakes?
  • I welcome ideas for dialogue fror Squiddy and Beaky. As I said before, the story should make sense whether they survive or not, so I don't know what and when should they say.
  • I'd like some better names for Mystic and Eldritch Tentacles as those names imply arcane attack, but they do impact damage (arcane would be owerpowered against undead).
  • I've noticed there is UMC Story images add-on, so I might use some of them in my campaign (and add artist to credits, of course). Is there a thread for it?
Evander

Post by Evander »

Just finished this campaign.

Ok, so this one clearly stands apart from anything else :)

It is good, if I would rate it - it will be somewhere around 8/10.

What I liked:
+ idea :)
+ more sea monster units (they should be in Main Story Line)
+ dialogues of dwarves and trolls along the way
+ lichen-lord

What I disliked:
- lack of final storyline scenario(could be starting map with some dialogue)
- short.
- pixelated pictures

To sum this all up:
Part II is needed :)

Good work, nice idea for a story, little bugs (some spelling errors) nice flooding cave scenario. Campaign could use some final battle with merfolks maybe?
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Evander - Thanks for playing and replying :)
Ok, so this one clearly stands apart from anything else
I remember playing Ooze Mini-campaign (very short, but otherwise good) on 1.8 (I didn't found it on 1.10), so it looks like I'm not the first to have a non-humanoid protagonist.
lack of final storyline scenario(could be starting map with some dialogue)
Most mainline campaigns also end with story-only epilogue. I'm currently more concerned with the final battle not being climatic enough.
short
Not every campaign has to be in double digits scenarios (even some mainline campaigns are shorter). I started with 6 and later prolonged it to 8 scenarios. There seem to be a demand for more (I'm pleasantly surprised by it) so I might add some. However, I don't know when it will happen and I'd like to keep a definite beggining (A Water Struggle) and end (Ravyan's death, maybe postponed to a later scenario than it currently is). Ideas welcome (I seem to write this every post, but it's true).
pixelated pictures
Well, I downloaded Gimp just so I could edit images from my campaign without using it before, so calling my artwork amateurish is insult to those amateur who have artistic talent. Maybe if I get better at spriting or somebody more gifted decides to help, but I wouldn't count on either. :hmm:
nice flooding cave scenario
The idea is stolen from UtBS (scenario "Out of the Frying Pan"), I just thought of making variations on it (that you want the water to spread).
Part II is needed
I'm glad you liked my campaign :D and I might make some additional scenarios, but I don't think I would do a whole sequel campaign, as the cuttlefish need lots of deep water to be useful and I'm not sure how many maritime scenarios I can make without being repetive. I might make some new campaign (or perhaps an era?) in future, but it won't happen soon, as I currently lack both time and ideas.
Evander

Post by Evander »

Telchin wrote:@Evander - Thanks for playing and replying :)
not a problem. I heard that it may be difficult to get feedback, so I am trying to provide some :)
Ok, so this one clearly stands apart from anything else
I remember playing Ooze Mini-campaign (very short, but otherwise good) on 1.8 (I didn't found it on 1.10), so it looks like I'm not the first to have a non-humanoid protagonist.
I haven't seen that one. As for Inky, he is somewhat believable as character (I know it sounds strange)
lack of final storyline scenario(could be starting map with some dialogue)
Most mainline campaigns also end with story-only epilogue. I'm currently more concerned with the final battle not being climatic enough.
Final battle is ok, but not as *final* scenario. It could use Inky and others basking in the sea and laughing at all these trolls, dwarves and others they met :)
short
Not every campaign has to be in double digits scenarios (even some mainline campaigns are shorter). I started with 6 and later prolonged it to 8 scenarios. There seem to be a demand for more (I'm pleasantly surprised by it) so I might add some. However, I don't know when it will happen and I'd like to keep a definite beggining (A Water Struggle) and end (Ravyan's death, maybe postponed to a later scenario than it currently is). Ideas welcome (I seem to write this every post, but it's true).
Don't be so surprised. You did a nice campaign here, so it is obvious that people want more :)
pixelated pictures
Well, I downloaded Gimp just so I could edit images from my campaign without using it before, so calling my artwork amateurish is insult to those amateur who have artistic talent. Maybe if I get better at spriting or somebody more gifted decides to help, but I wouldn't count on either. :hmm:
post a request in forums maybe? :)
a request for a big picture of cuttlefish... somehow it is missing from BfW help

Part II is needed
I'm glad you liked my campaign :D and I might make some additional scenarios, but I don't think I would do a whole sequel campaign, as the cuttlefish need lots of deep water to be useful and I'm not sure how many maritime scenarios I can make without being repetive. I might make some new campaign (or perhaps an era?) in future, but it won't happen soon, as I currently lack both time and ideas.
Well... there are Three Sisters.... there was a merfolk campaign as well...
what about cuttlefish teaming with some saurian pirates? :D

Don't worry, inspiration will come.