Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Feareth

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Feareth »

I think I Should've gone more in depth it's not the dialogue from the story but I got the 67th kill for soul eater and I then got this message shown in the screenshot
Attachments
image.jpg
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That is because the list of options for advancements is probably too long. This should happen also if you try to look at some unit's items when there is too many of them. Btw, which soul eater advancements have you taken? It might help me to prove if this was the cause and report it do dailin.
This is not the usual error with message length, this is a similar problem with number of options under the message. Like with overly long messages, it should add a scroll bar if it does not fit to screen, seems he added it with long messages, but not with long options lists.
If you want to have it fixed quickly, send me the save file or post it here, I am able to block the soul eater (for all the following scenarios) and prevent this problem from happening (somehow crippling your heroes, but...), because it will take some time till dailin fixes and the Apples accept the update (I expect it to last like a month).
Feareth

Post by Feareth »

Dugi wrote:That is because the list of options for advancements is probably too long. This should happen also if you try to look at some unit's items when there is too many of them. Btw, which soul eater advancements have you taken? It might help me to prove if this was the cause and report it do dailin.
This is not the usual error with message length, this is a similar problem with number of options under the message. Like with overly long messages, it should add a scroll bar if it does not fit to screen, seems he added it with long messages, but not with long options lists.
If you want to have it fixed quickly, send me the save file or post it here, I am able to block the soul eater (for all the following scenarios) and prevent this problem from happening (somehow crippling your heroes, but...), because it will take some time till dailin fixes and the Apples accept the update (I expect it to last like a month).
I would send it but for starters i dont have it not which has now pissed me off(Whenever i start a new campaign i sometimes loses saves on maps from other campaigns which has happened multiple times and it gets annoying but it doesnt do it all the time) and if i had the save i dont know how to get to it since they are on my phone
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That isn't good, I expected iPhones to allow its users to do more stuff...
Anyway, an you reply to the other questions? Which soul eater advancements did you pick? It might help me to learn more about your problem, just to help dailin.
Feareth

Post by Feareth »

Dugi wrote:That isn't good, I expected iPhones to allow its users to do more stuff...
Anyway, an you reply to the other questions? Which soul eater advancements did you pick? It might help me to learn more about your problem, just to help dailin.
well the good thing is i dont lose alll of them i just have to restart the entire scenario i left off on. Also for the advancments i really dont remember i this is the first time ive gotten a soul eater for him since i stopped the campaign due to waiting for the update so i could play again and the last time i got an advancement for soul eater was most likely sometime last year and i have a crappy memory so i dont remember sorry i went and looked at unit information and that only shows the level advancements ive choosen.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Okay, try to look at them and see if there aren't advancements:
Improving health - these are the most important to know
Adding/Improving chill wave
Adding/Improving shadow wave
flyskippy1

Post by flyskippy1 »

Great campaign, just got through chapter two. Just a couple bugs to report:

In the second to last scenario of Servants of Lilith "Underground", the victory condition says to get any unit to the exit, but it only worked for me when I got one of the leaders there.

The text description for the Exterminator's Scythe says that it gives 20 more attacks, but it doesn't actually do that.

I also managed to pick up the "Glitch Item", but that was on the previous version, and judging from the changelog, it's been fixed in the release I've since updated to.
Last edited by flyskippy1 on February 20th, 2013, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feareth

Post by Feareth »

Dugi wrote:Okay, try to look at them and see if there aren't advancements:
Improving health - these are the most important to know
Adding/Improving chill wave
Adding/Improving shadow wave
I screenshotted my unit information do any of these look like they'd be ones?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
flyskippy1

Post by flyskippy1 »

More feedback from my playthrough of the first 2 chapters:

The trader in the Scenario 'The Long Way Home' in chapter 1 did not work for me, the dialog did not trigger when I moved a unit adjacent to him. (On version 2.4.12 on iPad) The one in 'Army of Darkness' worked fine. Something explaining the traders might be useful, too, as until I got the one in Army of Darkness I just thought he was some random guy hanging out next to all these Orcs... Also not sure if there is a good way to hint at the mountains ahead in the initial dialog on The Long Way Home without looking at the walkthrough, either.

Things that weren't obvious to me on the first playthrough:
-That books were only really useful to units that had hit their max level, and weren't really useful to my leaders.
-Which units (Delly/Argan) I was eventually going to loose and that I shouldn't bother giving books to (and in which scenario I should remove all of their items so I didn't lose those.)
-When I was going to loose the ability to recruit a particular type of unit.
-My recall list is starting to get a bit unmanagable, but I don't really want to dismiss anything because I'm never sure when I'll be able to recruit that type again. I'm not sure how/if this gets dealt with later. It might be cool if it didn't allow you to recall certain types of units on certain scenarios. (Like not allowing you to recall undead when you're trying to hide the fact that you are necromancers. Maybe with an exception for the Skelatal Dragon.) Maybe your unleveled or non-Geared units could die off after a while.

General balance comments:
I played through the first 12 scenarios twice and the difficult varied quite a bit based on the random items that dropped. Ephraim getting a good sword in the first scenario made him pretty strong right away, otherwise I had to babysit him a lot.

Items:
The Flying boots are the probably the most useful ones I've found so far. They can turn a "always stuck a couple turns away from the fighting" unit into a highly mobile offensive weapon. I gave them to my best Heavy Infantry line unit. The only odd side effect of this is that while he can fly around most places, he still can't go over mountains at all. Maybe a good item might be something that give improved mountain movement to a unit that doesn't otherwise have it. (Climbing Gloves?) Maybe something similar for caves. It's nice to be able to reliably use your best unit without thinking too much about terrain. Something that gives the ability to fly over chasms/lava the way bats/spirits can would be good too, but you'd have to ensure it didn't pop up before the 12th scenario.

This might just be random luck, but I seem to get drops of Rherrant's Helmet a lot. I have like 5 of them now, but only one set of armor and sword, and no ring. They are usefull enough to keep, though. I've gotten a bunch of Iron Armor, too, which I always smash as the -1 movement never seems worth it. That's fine as the name sort of implies that it's relatively common and not all that special. The Amulet of Twilight never seems worth it either, as turning your unit liminal gives them -25% attack 2/3rds of the time, and the only real spell casters I have so far are neutral already.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

some bugs:

1)somhow in some scenarios the enemies can also pickup gold chests

2)you wrote particlestorm instead of particle storm

Code: Select all

[advancement]
        max_times=1
        always_display=yes
        id=particlestorm4_speed
        description= _ "summoning particle storms faster"
        image=attacks/particle-storm.png
        strict_amla=yes
        require_amla="particlestorm2_speed,particlestorm4"
	[effect]
		apply_to=attack
		name=particlestorm
		increase_damage=-10
		increase_attacks=1
	[/effect]
       {IMPROVED_AMLA_DEFAULT_BONUSES}
    [/advancement]
3)this advancement seems strange (Elvish Overlord):

Code: Select all

[advancement]
        max_times=1
        always_display=yes
        id=ambush2
        description= _ "able to hide in all forests"
        image=icons/dress_silk_green.png
        strict_amla=yes
        require_amla="ambush"
	   [effect]
		apply_to=remove_ability
		[abilities]
			{ABILITY_WEAK_AMBUSH}
		[/abilities]
	   [/effect]
	   [effect]
		apply_to=new_ability
		[abilities]
			{ABILITY_WEAK_AMBUSH}
		[/abilities]
	   [/effect]
    [/advancement]

@flyskippy1 there aree the mounaintrek boots which give fast accrossing of mountains, but for the leaders i prefer the teleporttion boots so the can switch between the front and the recruiting place fast.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

flyskippy1 wrote:In the second to last scenario of Servants of Lilith "Underground", the victory condition says to get any unit to the exit, but it only worked for me when I got one of the leaders there.
This was written when the scenario was leader-only and much easier. I have altered it significantly, but I forgot to change the objectives. Thanks for reporting.
flyskippy1 wrote:The text description for the Exterminator's Scythe says that it gives 20 more attacks, but it doesn't actually do that.
Polearms were not meant to drop, just to be crafted. I have, however, added one recently, and haven't noticed it is not considered as a weapon by the describing functions, and as I result, it was described wrongly - it adds 20% attacks and not 20 attacks.
Faereth wrote:I screenshotted my unit information do any of these look like they'd be ones?
You haven't taken any of the special advancements paths added by that ability. They were bellow the others, and you probably haven't noticed that. The information is probably lost, so I will skip trying to prove my theory about the issue.
flyskippy1 wrote:The trader in the Scenario 'The Long Way Home' in chapter 1 did not work for me, the dialog did not trigger when I moved a unit adjacent to him.
You had to move next to a hex that was next to him. It was a small bug, some hexes next to him worked, some didn't.
flyskippy1 wrote:I just thought he was some random guy hanging out next to all these Orcs...
Added some information about traders to Frequently Asked Questions in help.
flyskippy1 wrote:Also not sure if there is a good way to hint at the mountains ahead in the initial dialog on The Long Way Home without looking at the walkthrough, either.
He's not gonna make your progression much easier. If you find him, it's your luck. There are a lot of things hidden in various unimportant places, especially in the later parts of the campaign, like chests of gold, secret scenarios, shortcuts,...
flyskippy1 wrote:-That books were only really useful to units that had hit their max level, and weren't really useful to my leaders.
I think I'll have to include a short tutorial once I finish the story.
flyskippy wrote:-Which units (Delly/Argan) I was eventually going to loose and that I shouldn't bother giving books to (and in which scenario I should remove all of their items so I didn't lose those.)
-When I was going to loose the ability to recruit a particular type of unit.
There was no way to let you know it without spoiling.
flyskippy1 wrote:-My recall list is starting to get a bit unmanagable, but I don't really want to dismiss anything because I'm never sure when I'll be able to recruit that type again. I'm not sure how/if this gets dealt with later. It might be cool if it didn't allow you to recall certain types of units on certain scenarios. (Like not allowing you to recall undead when you're trying to hide the fact that you are necromancers. Maybe with an exception for the Skelatal Dragon.) Maybe your unleveled or non-Geared units could die off after a while.
I am thinking about adding a possibility to move units from the recall list somewhere where they'll still be, possible to return to the recall list. But usually on the recall list, the unimportant soldiers like ungeared and unleveled units are far lower than units on higher levels, so the units you see at the top of the list are usually the high-level well-geared juggernauts.
About the undead in late chapter 1, on earlier versions, they were simply deleted, but people had problems with it - you had a good access to undead in scenarios before, and you could advance them just to lose them and have to save the hometown without them. This was somehow stupid, but it would piss everyone off if they were deleted.
flyskippy1 wrote:I played through the first 12 scenarios twice and the difficult varied quite a bit based on the random items that dropped. Ephraim getting a good sword in the first scenario made him pretty strong right away, otherwise I had to babysit him a lot.
During several first scenarios, luck is a factor, but usually one item is not powerful enough to improve your whole army (well, maybe the best one). You need more of them, and it would be improbable to find just garbage all the time for more than just a few scenarios.
flyskippy1 wrote:This might just be random luck, but I seem to get drops of Rherrant's Helmet a lot.
Good that you noticed that. There was a bug causing that when the game chose to drop a Rhaerrant's Ring, Rhaerrent's Helm dropped instead.
flyskippy1 wrote:The Amulet of Twilight never seems worth it either, as turning your unit liminal gives them -25% attack 2/3rds of the time, and the only real spell casters I have so far are neutral already.
It also increases (almost) all damages. By adding it to a unit, it will be about as strong with it as without it during daylight or nighttime, but during nightfall or daybreak, it'll be quite significantly stronger. This is useful only if the unit does not carry too many other items, because these effects won't stack ideally.
gfgtdf wrote:1)somhow in some scenarios the enemies can also pickup gold chests
That bug was fixed some time ago. But I have found that the bugged code was also in the Heart Mountains scenario, and that one was replacing the corrected one possibly also in other scenarios. I hope it'll work correctly everywhere.
gfgtdf wrote:2)you wrote particlestorm instead of particle storm
Yeah, a typo...
gfgtdf wrote:3)this advancement seems strange (Elvish Overlord):
It was wrong, obviously, it was meant to add the usual ambush.

I am not uploading the fixes right now, because there are some more things I want to do.

EDIT: Changed a the things I promised, the only thing that is missing is the rearrangement of item storage. I'll do it soon, then I'll do a few other stuff and then I'll work on chapter 9. I have done a few things for it already.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Version 2.4.13 is out. I have fixed almost all of the bugs you mentioned, as usually except those I could not find nor replicate.
The other specific changes are a response to your demands:
-Scenarios with endlessly spawning enemies and no turn limit now have some absurdly high turn limits - it should be no problem for anyone (reply if it is), but it will not allow endless (and pointless) boring exp collection or redeeming
-Items in the item storage are now ordered by item type, making the game a bit more effective in the process, but it will apply only to newly stored items. There is a big piece of retrospective compatibility code letting you unstore items stored in the previous way. Some bugs and temporary strange things may possibly occur as the code is quite complex, especially in chapter 8 when the inventory is changing due to passages with Vritra
-Decreased the devastating magical damages of enemies in chapter 7 and a bit also of those in chapter 8, but not significantly
-Decreased the cold resistance of demons by 10%, so it is now usually 10% instead of 20%
-You will no longer have insane useless amounts of gold in chapter 3; gold gains were more than halved
-Made the leaders slightly weaker (decreased some damages, some resistances, some advancements' gains)
-Added 5 new items that should help you shield your units from the devastating magic used by enemies in chapters 7 and 8 (however, the same item types as of the already existing items, so it will not let your leaders get superb resistances)
-Added a crafting recipe
-Leech ability now drains only enemies
-Rewrote parts of the Across the Barren Land scenario, movements no longer make you wait

EDIT: I have not checked everything, and I left a totally primitive error there, making it impossible to load chapters 1-4 (chapter 5 was loadable only if starting it from the campaign list). Those who downloaded it, please uninstall it and install it again. I am sorry for this. If you installed the bad update and did this to fix it, you will also have a revamped portrait of Argan there as a bonus.
Altruist

Post by Altruist »

Dugi wrote:Version 2.4.13 is out. -Items in the item storage are now ordered by item type, making the game a bit more effective in the process, but it will apply only to newly stored items. There is a big piece of retrospective compatibility code letting you unstore items stored in the previous way. Some bugs and temporary strange things may possibly occur as the code is quite complex, especially in chapter 8 when the inventory is changing due to passages with Vritra
I am in chapter 3 and upgraded yesterday:
Items taken out of the inventory to smash them or to allocate them to a unit, stay in the inventory, effectivly doubling them, well, or triple or whatever, actually infinitely. To get me right, the smashing works, allocating them to a unit works, too. But the item does not vanish in the inventory. To see how far it goes: A single Stardust staff is now used by 3 units and it still is available in the inventory.

Great campaign.

PS: Post it if you need or want to have a look at the save-file.

addon: Items which are put into the inventory and taken out again... are correctly not in the inventory anylonger. It seems a problem with the stuff already in the inventory.
Last edited by Altruist on February 23rd, 2013, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

So I just downloaded the latest version and on the easiest difficulty in chapter 1 got stuck on mission 3. The enemy orcs just seemed to send a constant stream of units meant I made no progress as both my and their units kept dying at a relatively constant rate with the occasional level up of one of my units. Eventually I lost the leader as I tried to push harder getting near the turn limit. 2nd attempt trying to keep units alive I ended up dying sooner. My tactic on those 2 occasions was to try to hold the keep for recruiting. Is this advisable or would it be better to retreat back across the bridge?
jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Chapter 1, on Medium, latest version updated yesterday in Wesnoth 1.10 "Shatter the defilers" I seem to have a never ending supply of Caeordwyccyrin's Spears in storage.
The Iron Armour storage seems to be working though. Can't comment on any other items.