Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

jimis wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 8:37 pm Attached the file in a PM, thanks! For the sake of completion, I should mention that while running wesnoth I get all kinds of errors/warnings on the console.I guess most are unrelated, but here they are anyway, one of each kind: [...]
It says that I cannot read the PM becasuse it is on hold. Aha, I actually had a full inbox and I received this misleading error message.

Those issues in console are generally harmless, they are useful only if something breaks. Wesnoth's programming language, WML, is not a great programming language and it's often convenient to write code that shows error messages. Sometimes, preventing error messages would require creating additional variables.
jimis

Post by jimis »

Another bug I just encountered: killing with "parry" ability does not increase soul-eater score. I guess it's in the same category with "whirlwind" kills, but not it involves only one enemy.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I was able to replicate that problem. It prevents parry kills from activating any on-kill effects, like murderlust.
Fluffy024

Post by Fluffy024 »

So I’m having the redeem problem on my iPhone and the “zoom” solution didn’t work. The problem seems to stem from needing a scroll bar for the description of which advances unlock which others and having enough choices to need a second scroll bar.

Which leads me to believe it would be fixed if you had the description as one box- then click okay and get the choice of advances as its own separate box- possibly with the option of returning to the description box. Perhaps you could make an iPhone update that used this format for “redeem” advances? Or maybe a Wesnoth 10 update- I think there’s a chance the version of LotI isn’t the same I’d get if iPhones got the most recent Wesnoth, but I’m not really sure how that end to of things works. Either way, even an all-around update wouldn’t drastically alter play for non-iPhone users.

At least, it seems like something that might work to me.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Fluffy024 wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 10:50 am So I’m having the redeem problem on my iPhone and the “zoom” solution didn’t work. The problem seems to stem from needing a scroll bar for the description of which advances unlock which others and having enough choices to need a second scroll bar.
If you're playing on Wesnoth 1.10, then you have a very old version of both Wesnoth and of this add-on (which wasn't updated for several years). I think this problem was already solved for the iPhone port. I recommend you to get a more recent version of Wesnoth. You will lose your saves that way if you don't jailbreak your iPhone.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

iPhones are still stuck at 1.10, it's iPads that have 1.14.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Fluffy024

Post by Fluffy024 »

Yeah, iPhone Wesnoth is a really old version. And I’m not sure exactly how the add-ons for it are updated (if at all). I figured the add-on also had to be pretty old after scanning this thread ‘cause it still uses the AoE system where you only get experience from the target, but don’t lose any strength (I think I’d like the new version better, it’s a pain to be sure your AoE’s only kill one enemy and I’m an xp miser).

I’m not sure if iWesnoth 10 just doesn’t get updates for the add-ons and newer add-ons to prevent compatibility issues or how that works. If there were a way to edit the WML on the phone, I might be able to figure out how to fix this redeem issue, myself, but I haven’t played with WML since version 9, so I’d have to refresh my memory quite a bit.

Is there a list of the redeem advances and what each one needs? The “choose advances that don’t give too many new advances” tactic may be the only way for me to workaround this bug if there’s no way to change the WML for the older version of the add-on.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wesnoth's add-ons are separated by version, since there tends to be a significant number of compatibility breaking changes between each major, stable release (ie: 1.10 -> 1.12). So any update would need to be separately uploaded for both versions by the add-on author.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Fluffy024

Post by Fluffy024 »

Ahhh, well then the update would just have to be to the version 10 add-on, since this appears to be an iPhone issue and that uses version 10. It’d be great to see that update if it wouldn’t be too much trouble. From scanning this and other forums (I was looking to see if you can edit the WML on your iPhone) it seems like there’s a fair number of iPhone using LotI players experiencing or who have experienced this problem- it came up at least a couple times on the iPhone release thread.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'm pretty sure that the person who is able to update the iPhone version is long gone and didn't leave any information behind to allow others to take over, meaning that there's no way to update it unless this person suddenly comes back. So, there's no point in waxing on how many people might be using that version; it's simply not even possible for us to support it in any way.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Fluffy024

Post by Fluffy024 »

The way it sounds is the author would have to get Wesnoth 10, re-download the Wesnoth 10 version of their add-on (I’m assuming he doesn’t still have either of those), fix it, then upload the fix through Wesnoth 10. At least, that’s what I think Pentarctagon meant.

It’s not an iOS fix I’m suggesting. That’ll come when the devs get a new iPhone version ironed out, and none of my saves would transfer after that, anyway.

I know it’s a pain in the ass, but it would greatly improve playability for what I’d guess is the most popular add-on on one of the bigger platforms for Wesnoth.

I’ll be working around the issue by replaying from the beginning of chapter 7 and selecting advances that don’t unlock too many new advances in the meantime, but I bet the author could fix this bug much sooner than the devs can get the whole thing figured out and bring iPhone up to date.

Either way, I’ll continue to enjoy LotI, and be grateful for how much time the author has already put in. There’s just a few items I’ll lose from the semi-restart that I’ll really miss and some advances (specifically regeneration) I won’t be able to get nearly as soon because I’ll have to get ones that don’t unlock anything to make space for the four (including regeneration) that Health unlocks.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Fluffy024 wrote: September 4th, 2018, 1:37 amwhat I’d guess is the most popular add-on on one of the bigger platforms for Wesnoth.
Well, I'd question both of these statements, but I don't have any actual statistics, so who knows... but in particular I'd question iOS being one of the bigger platforms for Wesnoth.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Fluffy024

Post by Fluffy024 »

Fair enough, but that’s beside the point. The point is that it doesn’t matter that whoever built the iPhone version abandoned it- because that’s not the only person with the ability to fix it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 11:47 pm I'm pretty sure that the person who is able to update the iPhone version is long gone and didn't leave any information behind to allow others to take over
This is partly untrue. The real reason why the iPhone version is still lagging behind is because of the UI architecture changes since Wesnoth 1.10. What singalen said at the start of the iOS support thread is still true as of this writing and he’s still working on it.

That said, please keep the discussion about the iOS version’s development technicalities off this thread and focus on what actually pertains directly to the author’s campaign.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Fluffy024 wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 10:50 am...
The version of this campaign for 1.10 wasn't updated for long. The changes between wesnoth versions are too big.

What I could do is to compile wesnoth 1.10 for myself, download an old version of the campaign and alter the redeem menu. The problem is that I don't even know what could I do, because the list of options can get so long that it would not fit anyway. Maybe a lua-based GUI instead of a typical talking box.