Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

DuckyWucky2

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by DuckyWucky2 »

In Chapter 5, I am in the Armoury part and cannot seem to get into the eastern storeroom so I can get to the magic amplifier 1 to disable it. What does it mean by collect 6 items, because I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING! Any ideas?
lynx

Post by lynx »

6 enemy drops or static items, like throughout the campaign. Not sure if completing the goal helps anything though.
Last edited by lynx on May 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It is unimportant if you complete an objective in the dungeon or not. You can always proceed into another location. If you cannot find 6 items (they should be easy to find), you can wait until an enemy spawn drops one.
But there is a bug in that transition. When testing, I was coming from the other side. The coordinates were accidentally transposed. I will update it tomorrow. If you do not want to wait, you can try another way or to fix it like this:
Spoiler:

Replying the post about the problem with logic:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Dugi on May 27th, 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lynx

Post by lynx »

Oh, it's canon. Been too long since I played those other campaigns. :wink:
DuckyWucky2

Post by DuckyWucky2 »

Absolutely cannot wait for chapter 6! Maybe link in with defeldors memoirs! BTW I cojldnt be stuffed to fix it and just finished the last scenario with 5 units :P plus found the screaming thing really funny xD :lol2:
DuckyWucky2

Post by DuckyWucky2 »

lynx wrote:6 enemy drops or static items, like throughout the campaign. Not sure if completing the goal helps anything though.
I tried that but it didnt work even after picking like 10 item types the units i gave them to didnt have before! Some glitch unless no one was supposed to say anything...
t3st3r

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (Chapter 5 is out)

Post by t3st3r »

dugi wrote:2. I have never played that campaign, and it is something I never heard about. I was just coming out from what was said in IftU and UtBS. It was said there that the second sun was a mountain raised to the sky and lit (I did not write too much about this) by magical means, but the mages screwed it and it crashed. I am not sure if the flying machine and Ruby of Fire fits into that. All I added in fact was that they failed it because they were killed.
Can you please tell me what was the name of that add-on?
It's either Bad Moon Rising or Trinity (which is sequel to Bad Moon Rising). Played it a while ago so don't remember exactly.
Note: The items on the ground in various scenarios are completely random, the only exception is the ring of wisdom found in chapter 3. Items in LotI work differently than in other campaigns, and it is easier and probably better to place the things randomly - favourable for replays
Yeah, got it. And in fact I completed walking part 6 of campaign. And I absolutely like items system and AMLA. To be honest I seriously miss these thingies in other campaigns, etc. Default AMLA is so boring and silly :mrgreen:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You will probably like the version I just released then, I made also humans advance to additional levels and get the AMLA then. Now no unit will have to be left behind because exping him is a waste (maybe a few exceptions, like the troll in chapter 5).
The animations for Marauder and Renegade suck, I will have to improve/redo them, but you don't play much with outlaws anyway.

Also, I put an end to the previously mentioned annoying random-like enemies in the final dungeon, now the enemies appear at the beginning of your turn and they are coming from trapdoors (but there is more of them in return).

Items will no longer drop from leaders after that you defeat them winning the scenario, stopping this was hard, but I decided to remove items' graphics when a scenario is won, that looks like if nothing was dropped.

I also fixed the issue that DuckyWucky2 had, the only problem is that to get the scenario updated, it is needed to leave and reenter the area (the enemy boss will not be there anymore if he was slain).

And finally, mostly for testing purposes now, I have made an MP era with four small factions (elves, humans, nobles (de facto the other half of the loyalist faction), outlaws and undead), heroes from chapter 3 as leaders. I have made it for a MP scenario I want to make later. Because the outlaws use maces a lot, maces can drop in multiplayer (they would be kinda useless in singleplayer).

And after the whole time, why nobody told me that the scenario 'Labyrinth' was accidentally not shrouded? It must have been absolutely crappy without the shroud. It was meant that you had to figure out how the runes indicate the way and go into the target location then. Anyway, I found it when I decided to redo it, so it is shrouded now. You have more time there, and there are enemy undead wandering the place now.

I have done a few more things, but they are not worth mentioning, see them in the changelog if you are interested.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That amla thing is not defined correctly, wesnoth wont read that addon at all now.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Ravana on May 28th, 2012, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Loads on my machine, and I haven't made a single change after that I uploaded it.

Can you tell me what was your error message? What might be also important, your OS, first version of the add-on installed (or time when you installed it first), version of Wesnoth.
(if you have started playing it very long ago, it may happen)
lynx

Post by lynx »

still works here on 1.10.0, both new games (ch. 5) and saves.

Nice updates, can't wait to see the end of the story someday.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am not sure if the story will even end. I have changed my intentions for the story in chapters 6 and 7, and I have an idea what might be in the 8th.

This is what was planned to be in 6th and 7th chapter. I decided to make something else because this story was crappy, it just may be worth looking at.
Spoiler:
Edit: Ravana's problem - it was an accidentally listed dependency in the files. I forgot to delete that line when copying stuff. It was uselessly trying to load unrelated stuff. This problem was multiplayer-only, that is why most people didn't notice this problem. I have fixed it, download version 2.1.7. if you need to fix multiplayer.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !

Congratulations for your campaign. It's a lot of work and a rather unusual one.
I have no feedback to give about balancing and difficulty. Sorry, I switched to cheat mode very early because I was interested in your amla system more than in battles.

I have still some little things to criticise.
- With the items, the filter list (the units who can take them), is often too restrictive. I remember an elvish overlord who can't take a sword (and already has one), daggers nobody could take and so on. Maybe you could allow anyone to take it, but not to use it. In other words, let any unit grab the item, and eventually say it has no effect on this unit type. This could allow the player to carry the item, drop it later and try someone else to take it.

- There is a lot of huge battles. I have nothing against it, but I think some are really too large, leading to AI guru meditations on each turn of each side (up to ten minutes for one single turn). Another point closely related is the villages: on most maps, there is a great many of them, scattered everywhere. Since the maps are large (often too large, IMO), your allies spend six to ten turns to grab them all, doing absolutely nothing useful meanwhile (and looking at them running on the map is not fun). I think you could use village capture on start to avoid this, or move the villages closer to the keeps.

- The story is fine, but IMO, the writing could be more concise. There is a lot about necromancy, preserved liches, and so on, but all we need to know is the heroes are immortal and not corpse looking. Do we really care to know how exactly they succeeded to do that ? I doubt it.

Inferno conquest would be great... :D but then, what next ?

Friendly,
lynx

Post by lynx »

I agree about the items (the one i hit the most was the feathered helmet - i suppose only elven riders can use it).

I had no problems with larger battles, just use time acceleration in the preferences. "Do not animate enemy moves" helps a lot too.

I disagree about the story. Details make it interesting and I wouldn't say there were too many, more likely too few. Dumbed down stories suck!
Some parts are vague, maybe lost in translation and there are plenty of typos, but that's nothing that can't be easily fixed..
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

If you have a feeling that a unit should be able to take an item that it cannot, please tell me, I occasionally forgot to allow some units to take certain items.

The cause of the minutes long AI meditations about moves is the way the AI works. If there is too many units that can attack a strong unit, the delays happen. I have a workaround for this, but I have not applied it in the earlier parts, I think I will add it.

Allies taking villages - can be fixed easily.

About the typos, there is a guy who is fixing it, but he is only in chapter 1 yet.

Also, I have noticed a terrible bug causing units to get insanely high resistances under some circumstances, I have fixed it in a version I released just now, 2.1.8. I have also made an item storage system for items you cannot take by the units available and items on units display (you will see how, hard to describe).

If you think that Inferno conquest would be great, I may place it like a finale when I decide that there should be an end.