Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

edwardspec

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by edwardspec »

Ford wrote: December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm- One of possible advancements for Efraim as demigod is named "attacks/blank-attacks.png-BLIT(items/armour-arcane.png,-5,-5)" Apparently it improves resistances.
Not shown for me.
Could you please tell me the version of Wesnoth you are using? Are the advancements like "Resist fire" shown ok? (this one is supposed to be "Resist arcane") Does it say "blank-attacks.png-" or "blank-attack.png~"?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Ford wrote: December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm - It seems that when unit level up by attacking/killing an enemy it can perform another attack the same turn. I think it showed up after the latest patch.
The 24.12.2018 update contains a rewrite of the deepest pieces of code, so errors of this kind were expected. I knew I would not find them all. I have fixed it on github, I will update the server version when I'll be sure I would not sorely need another update the next day.
Ford wrote: December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm - When i try to give dvarvish berserker an axe he doesn't use it - the axe is added to his equipment, but he apparently doesn't treat it as his weapon, as his attack name and damage remain unchanged. Things unrelated directly to attack itself (like inreased resistances) stil works.
edwardspec fixed it on github. It was also an unnoticed oversight during the rewrite.
Ford wrote: December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm - When unit become incinerated and then get healed, the color change sometimes doesn't get away, even several scenarios later
Do you happen to have a save file with a unit that is erroneously coloured this way? The code seems correct.
Ford wrote: December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm - One of possible advancements for Efraim as demigod is named "attacks/blank-attacks.png-BLIT(items/armour-arcane.png,-5,-5)" Apparently it improves resistances.
I will need a save file also for this. The code seems correct and I did not observe such a problem.
Ford wrote: December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm Also, maybe it's just my opinion, but I think too many units have titles behind the names. I think all units on the top level get them, and there is a lot of such units, so the titles are quickly getting boring. For example - spell eaters from Chapter 7 don't have higher level, so they all have titles. Some bosses also get titles, which is rather strange in my opinion, especially if you meet them more than once and each time they have different title.
Hm, yes, it's pretty stupid with the Spell Eaters. Regarding recurring bosses getting different titles, which ones are affected this problem?

I would be glad if you could list enemies that get the titles when you think they shouldn't.
Ford wrote: December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm And, by the way, new redeem menu is great, much more convenient than before.
Say thanks to iPhone users who forced its creation (the usual menu got too large and crashed the app) and to edwardspec who implemented it. I haven't done much work around it myself.
Ford

Post by Ford »

Thanks for the answer,
I am using 1.14.5 Wesnoth version. I haven't noticed any other advancement path with similar issue.
About the titles - I think Lethalia had different title every time she showed up in Chapter 6 (I was playing as Efraim). I'm not the big fan of titles system to begin with, but I think only leaders and maybe exceptionally powerful units should get them (I'm talking about enemies here). I remember there was a fight with saurians in Chapter 6 and each one of them got the title because their maximum level was 2, it was rather ridicoulus in my opinion. Also I think that bosses who has any backstory shouldn't get title, because it usually doesn't match the backstory and the result is rather strange, for example - Lethalia in Chapter 6 or Nilfheim in Chapter 7.
I have a save file from the beginning of "Avengers" scenario. Lethalia is orange despite not being incinerated and there is Celestial Messenger whith similar issue on the recall list. Also you can use debug to advance Efraim and see his incorrect advancement. Will it be ok?

EDIT: "Does it say "blank-attacks.png-" or "blank-attack.png~"?" The latter. I missed that question.
Attachments
LotI2-Avengers.gz
(186.26 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That should suffice. The advancement problem was fixed by edwardspec.

I didn't realise that Lethalia would get titles this way. I will change it.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Same is true for Delly, Argan, and Stormrider (at least it was before the update)
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Nox42

Post by Nox42 »

I decided to reinstall Wesnoth after not playing it for over a year, mostly cause i wanted to play your campaign again. Really enjoyed it back on Wesnoth 1.12, many thanks for the efforts you put into this Dugi :D
So I got the 1.14.5 version from steam, using windows7 as OS. Right in the first scenario i encountered a weird thing: the backstab weapon special seems to disappear from any unit i train, dunno if this has been observed by anyone before. Did some backtracking but couldnt find anything, at least not in this thread. This only happens in your campaign, not in multiplayer sessions. LotI is the only addon i installed, got the version from the addons server.
Neither Delly, nor any thiefs/rogues i train have the backstab weapon special they should have. Interestingly, Delly did have the special in the tutorial, and also does during the dialog at the start of the scenario (it shows as inactive in her unit info during the dialog). Spearmen get to keep their first strike and ephraims weapon specials work as they should, so its apparently not a global weapon special issue. Save file provided for reference.
Attachments
LotI1-An Orcish Assault Turn 1.gz
(164.97 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
dabber

Post by dabber »

My apologies if the below comments are based on bad information; I read the github diff's only.
1) I'm surprised you dropped Lightning Agility to only 1 move.
2) New item Searing Ice has suck 2. Nothing else has suck 2, and suck is AWESOME. Drop it to suck 1. Or at least leave suck 2 only on easy, and suck 1 on other levels.

Particularly with the growth in items, perhaps some random item drops should be changed to set item drops.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Nox42 wrote: December 27th, 2018, 3:41 pm I decided to reinstall Wesnoth after not playing it for over a year, mostly cause i wanted to play your campaign again. Really enjoyed it back on Wesnoth 1.12, many thanks for the efforts you put into this Dugi :D
Glad to read it ^_^
Nox42 wrote: December 27th, 2018, 3:41 pmthe backstab weapon special seems to disappear from any unit i train, dunno if this has been observed by anyone before. Did some backtracking but couldnt find anything, at least not in this thread. This only happens in your campaign, not in multiplayer sessions. LotI is the only addon i installed, got the version from the addons server.
I this was fixed a few hours after you posted it by edwardspec (I was sound asleep at that time). There is a larger number of bugs in this new version (you were unlucky to return at the time of a larger reconstruction), so I will upload a fix when all the other problems are found and fixed. The changes were necessary to implement some new features, I hope it can justify these inconveniences:
It's not a final version:
dabber wrote: December 27th, 2018, 7:06 pm 1) I'm surprised you dropped Lightning Agility to only 1 move.
My analysis was showing that it was being used extremely often. It was allowing normally slow units like dwarves to have huge movement speed in addition to its improvement of terrain defences.
dabber wrote: December 27th, 2018, 7:06 pm 2) New item Searing Ice has suck 2. Nothing else has suck 2, and suck is AWESOME. Drop it to suck 1. Or at least leave suck 2 only on easy, and suck 1 on other levels.
The weapon is, regarding damage, far inferior to weapons like Dragon Claw and inferior to weapons that have suck 1. It can deal fire damage or cold damage with a damage bonus and extra weapon special, but suck does not work with cold or fire damage. There are still many non-weapon items that grant suck so it's not much of a difference.

If you still think it's overpowered on hard, I can change it.
dabber wrote: December 27th, 2018, 7:06 pm Particularly with the growth in items, perhaps some random item drops should be changed to set item drops.
I am not sure what exactly did you mean here, did you mean that sets are getting hard to complete because specific individual items are becoming more and more rare?

If it is what you meant, I might simply make set items more common. That should be an easier solution.
dabber

Post by dabber »

The new Doctrine of Vindictiveness DoV3 is incorrect. It is the same as DoV2. I'm not sure what it should be or I'd just fix it.

Ignore my comment about item drops for now. I will propose something more detailed. There are more interesting things to tweak currently.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

dabber wrote: December 28th, 2018, 5:22 pm The new Doctrine of Vindictiveness DoV3 is incorrect. It is the same as DoV2. I'm not sure what it should be or I'd just fix it.
It was supposed to grant {ABILITY_UNFORGIVING}.
dabber wrote: December 28th, 2018, 5:22 pm Ignore my comment about item drops for now. I will propose something more detailed. There are more interesting things to tweak currently.
Seems a high-quality discussion is coming. Nice to see you back.
Ford

Post by Ford »

Another bug - when I craft item "Spiritual Presence" and equip unit with it, lua error shows up and unit disappears. When I first encountered it, unit disapeared at the beginning of next turn; now, when I'm trying to replicate it unit disappears immediately after being equiped. It only happens with boots, helmets and gauntlets, regular armor seem to work properly. Same applies to Lightning Agility. I also noticed that if I give any unit any other item and then give one of my units Spiritual Presence or Lightning Agility the bug doesn't happen, but I'm not completely sure about it. I can provide save file if you need it.
Scary

Post by Scary »

I am fairly new to BoW and to LotI in particular, I am in scenario 5 or so right now. I also noticed backstab missing and wasn't sure if that was a bug, reading this topic confirms it is a bug so I hope it will come back soon. But I either found another bug or something that is really badly communicated: The Black Ring is supposed to give weapon special "plague" on melee attacks, I equipped it on Efraim but he didn't gain it. Neither does it show up in the description of the attack nor does it spawn a zombie (I killed an Orc with the melee attack so it should have worked if it was there).

Another thing that confuses me, though it is probably intentional: For Delenia (or whatever she is called, the rogueish sword princess you have from the beginning) and for Efraim I got to choose special advancements right from their first level up. For the female elven leader Lsomething that didn't happen, she just advanced to the next unit, even though I understand she is as much a main character as the other two. This is not really troublesome, just feels weird.

Also, the potion that Efraim drank in the tutorial lasted until his first advancement after he had become lvl 4, even though potions are supposed to only last until the next advancement. Is that because Efraim is special, or does that mean normal units will also keep potion effects until their first AMLA, so for about 5 levels if you drink them with lvl 1?

Thanks for answering my questions.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Scary, sorry no one has responded sooner. Dugi and edwardspec just upgraded a bunch of the LotI code and its currently a bit buggy. The improvement is large, but currently it isn't perfect. The weapon special bug has been fixed on the github version. I'm pretty sure the potion should have worn off at the next level. That is probably part of a bug that was fixed in the github version.

Units only gain special advancements after they hit their max level.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Well, Efraim does advance in a special way - he improves either one of his attacks or his defense AND becomes a higher level unit until he becomes a normal Shadowalker. Then he picks up amlas. All other units do just the latter. Efraim was like this since I remember (2012).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

All of the above mentioned errors were fixed on github and I will publish it to the server once I am certain there are no more large bugs. The reason why these bugs appeared were already explained by dabber.

It is intentional that Lethalia gets no special advancements while Efraim and Delenia do. It is simply that Efraim is quite an unusual swordsman while Lethalia looks like a regular elvish spellcaster. However, since then, I have created a campaign that tells a lot of backstory of some characters to explain off some oddities in their behaviour, so I could make her a little bit unusual if you want.