Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

dabber

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dabber »

Unit error. Dragon Rider cannot fly over "unwalkable" terrain, but normal dragons can. Dragon Rider also has swamp and coastal reef as 2 instead of 1, and deep water as impassable instead of 2 (compared to normal dragons).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That unit is based on the default skeletal dragon, and he has the same movement costs. It's questionable what led the developers to give the skeletal dragon different movement than to the living one. It would look more like a bug if he had different movement costs than the usual skeletal dragon.
wuxiangjinxing

Post by wuxiangjinxing »

A similiar problem comes from monorosity (upgraded from souless).

Why an undead has 20% defense and 3 mv costs in cave? Cave shall be the home field of undead right?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The default undead movement cost in caves is 2.
wuxiangjinxing

Post by wuxiangjinxing »

Maybe it's better to change the movement_type of monorosity from "fly" to "undeadfly"?

By the way, here's a small question.

I notice that in lot's of scenerios, the ai sides are modified by the macro AI_OVERHAUL_PLACE and AI_OVERHAUL_PLACE_2. Those two macros are defined in the global_events.cfg and look to be an optimization of the default AI (though I have no idea what are they really doing).

However the problem is: it looks that these two macros only works with low_drop, which is an extra define only for Chapter 1~5. So I believe those modifications will have no use at all for Chapter 6~10, though you have added a lot in those chapters. Is this a bug or do I have any misunderstanding?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The AI was horribly slow in chapter 3-5 (or it just stood next to most leaders and did nothing), but I was given a code to fix that. However, for some reasons it doesn't work well in later chapters, so I disabled it there. Because only the earlier chapters need it and they happen to have the low drops macro defined, I decided to make the ai overhaul macro work only if the low drops macro is defined. When wesnoth 1.12 comes out, I'll replace it with fast_ai micro_ai that is a bit dumber but is very fast and unite the meanings of the ai overhaul macro (so what you see there is a temporary solution).
dabber

Post by dabber »

I wasn't talking about the Skeleton Dragon. I mean the level 5 human Dragon Rider, leveled up from Grand Knight. He's riding a living Fire Dragon, but has very different movement from a Fire Dragon.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Ah, really, your posts says Dragon Rider, not Skeletal Dragon. I don't know how could it happen that I confused the two. Dragon Rider's movement is based on the movement of the units he advances from, mostly Grand Knight. But you're right, it could be based on the movement of dragons. I'll think of it.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Drake Glider's movement and defenses for Dragon Rider?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Glider's defences are too good in my opinion.
dabber

Post by dabber »

I don't see a problem with improving the movement of Dragon Rider to that of Fire Dragon. He obliterates Orcs, even more than most things obliterate orcs, but so far he is a bit unimpressive against enemies he cannot drain.

General comment. I think there are no upgrades or weapons that grant the weapon special magical (hit 70%). Focus exists, but only on an archer or bow. Various things can get marksman, including the crafted weapon, and ranged marksman exists via leadership. I presume this is a design balance thing, that you believe negating defense is too powerful? I really notice it with the Shadow Prince, whose shockwave attack is fun, but not for dealing damage. But I also notice it with stuff like the Skeleton Dragon and Dragon Rider, where I feel if I could just get them to hit, especially on defense, they'd be more effective.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The absence of items granting the magical weapon special is just a coincidence. I'll add something with that property when I'll be creating items.

Shadow Prince's Shockwave wasn't intended to be used for damaging, it was intended to scatter enemies that are packed too tightly together and hard to damage.
dabber

Post by dabber »

The I will be presumptuous and suggest an item:

Code: Select all

[object]
	name= _ "Touch Gloves"
	image=items/gauntlets.png
	number=9999
	sort=gauntlets
	defence=5
	[specials]