Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Lordlewis

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Lordlewis »

How can I get the GitHub version? People on this forum page seem to use that word a lot. It does seem very filmier. :)
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

Naron

Post by Naron »

It's worth to play the Github version? I only played the latest version from the add-on server and I was sorely disappointed. Also, how do I install the Github version? I tried installing it alone (i.e, without the normal version) but I got an error, something regarding a main.cfg file missing. Do I need the normal version in order to play it?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Welcome MsPierced!
MsPierced wrote:I know I could return to the stable 1.12 build, which seems to work okay
AFAIK LotI simply doesn't work in BfW 1.13.x, and I don't recall Dugi saying anything that would change.

Naron wrote:It's worth to play the Github version? ... Also, how do I install the Github version?
There's a bunch of bug fixes, that might be worth it. Also there's some changes, like additional annoyances in Inferno; might check those out and tell Dugi what you think.

For installing, I moved the old folder from c:\Users\nuorc\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.12\data\add-ons\ and unpacked the downloaded .zip there; deleted the '-master' in the folder-name and that was it.
I have a cunning plan.
MsPierced

Post by MsPierced »

@matsjoyce Using the github version did solve the AI issues, although it seems to have caused an issue with the crafting system only functioning in the tutorial scenario and returning a lua error any time I try to access it in later scenarios. But that's a lot less big of a deal than the AI not working, so I'm just going to take my wins where I can get them! Thank you for the help, saved me a lot of trouble.
Naron

Post by Naron »

@nuorc: I tried renaming the LotI-master folder to LotI but no luck. When I'm trying to start the campaign, I get an error: unknown scenario the awakening. I guess I missed something? If it matters, I'm trying to play on an Android tablet.
A minor complaint regarding LotI: until now, I have not noticed how many "Okay"s are used in dialogs but now I do. I think this gives too much an American vibe, something more neutral would be more appropiate in my opinion. It's just too modern, too familiar, but Wesnoth does not resemble America in any way so I think it's really a bit strange.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Using the github version did solve the AI issues, although it seems to have caused an issue with the crafting system only functioning in the tutorial scenario and returning a lua error any time I try to access it in later scenarios.
It's caused by a bug in 1.13.7. It should be okay in the current github version of wesnoth. You can get the fix by using the wml-tags.lua file to replace the file with the same name in your installation of the game.
I tried renaming the LotI-master folder to LotI but no luck. When I'm trying to start the campaign, I get an error: unknown scenario the awakening. I guess I missed something? If it matters, I'm trying to play on an Android tablet.
Can you install the server version and check how does the file structure look there and then replace the files with whatever that is on github?
A minor complaint regarding LotI: until now, I have not noticed how many "Okay"s are used in dialogs but now I do. I think this gives too much an American vibe, something more neutral would be more appropiate in my opinion. It's just too modern, too familiar, but Wesnoth does not resemble America in any way so I think it's really a bit strange.
It appears 92 times in the campaign. That means like once per two scenarios. If it still seems too often, I might do something with it.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Dugi wrote:You can get the fix by using the wml-tags.lua file to replace the file with the same name in your installation of the game.
This is really definitely not a safe thing to recommend. The master state of wml-tags.lua is not compatible with 1.13.7 at all. If you know which tag is causing the problem, it may be safe to recommend copying over just that tag, but replacing the entire file will certainly not work.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
MsPierced

Post by MsPierced »

Dugi wrote:
Snip snip!
It's caused by a bug in 1.13.7. It should be okay in the current github version of wesnoth. You can get the fix by using the wml-tags.lua file to replace the file with the same name in your installation of the game.
Appreciate the reply! I think I'll be able to live without it, and this is still a marvelous experience. I sort of feel like the bug fairy here, but I ran into another fairly major one. At the beginning of scenario 1-12 Toxic Sun, the conversation with Ethiel is skipped over and Lethalia does not change unit types and stays as a Seer. A lua message fires that starts with "game_error: creating unit with an empty field type" and gives out a stack traceback. I apologize if this is a known issue that's been addressed elsewhere, but it seemed like one worth reporting sooner rather than later!
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: This is really definitely not a safe thing to recommend. The master state of wml-tags.lua is not compatible with 1.13.7 at all. If you know which tag is causing the problem, it may be safe to recommend copying over just that tag, but replacing the entire file will certainly not work.
I appreciate the warning, because that's the kind of thing I can easily see myself doing and messing up royally if I got frustrated. I've noticed most of the problems with add-on content in 1.13.7 seem to be small changes to the lua structure causing things to return nil or otherwise disrupt their function, which seems like an aggravating thing for modders to hunt down and deal with! I really loved Black Cross of Aleron by the way, the units were great and the unusual playstyle was very refreshing! Totally off topic, I just wanted to gush.
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

Someone was asking a while ago for a wiki page that lists the drop probabilities for each scenario, so now it exists: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/LotI_Scenarios. I can't find who requested it, but sorry for taking so long! :whistle:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Naron wrote:A minor complaint regarding LotI: until now, I have not noticed how many "Okay"s are used in dialogs but now I do.
I have found that Dugi is very open regarding suggestions; if you can think of something better, he might just put it in there. :)
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Dugi wrote:Can you install the server version and check how does the file structure look there and then replace the files with whatever that is on github?
I will try.
Dugi wrote:
Naron wrote:A minor complaint regarding LotI: until now, I have not noticed how many "Okay"s are used in dialogs but now I do. I think this gives too much an American vibe, something more neutral would be more appropiate in my opinion. It's just too modern, too familiar, but Wesnoth does not resemble America in any way so I think it's really a bit strange.
It appears 92 times in the campaign. That means like once per two scenarios. If it still seems too often, I might do something with it.
Well, I think it shouldn't appear at all. It's just too modern and inadequate for Wesnoth (in my opinion, of course). Some alternatives could be "allright" or "very well".
angrynarwhal

Post by angrynarwhal »

Thanks for your reply to earlier feedback! Downloaded & using Github version... I like the changes I've noticed, like the merchant unit. :D

Love the Kamikaze Sprint ability, unfortunately noticed that units killed with it don’t grant experience. Was wanting to run sprint + whirlwind demolition combo too :(

Started the campaign over (Part I) with the unforgiving hardcore mod active. Was working great, until something broke. Unfortunately I don’t have much of an inkling what broke for troubleshooting. I went to load a game (Infinite Legion scenario) and first got the defeat message about Wesnoth being doomed… although neither Efraim/Lethalia had died. I also found that the mod was removing more units each time I loaded the save file (same result going back a couple turns, also with defeat message).

Error logs:
20170517 15:05:35 error ai/actions: Return value of AI ACTION was not checked. This may cause bugs!
20170517 15:05:43 warning engine: attempt to filter attack for an event with no attack data.
Dugi wrote:Adding a 4th difficulty would be an immense amount of work at this stage of development. I don't quite get why hard isn't hard enough, I might add a few specialities to make it even harder.
Hard is good for playing the campaigns a first run through, for most of the scenarios. I’ve found that the campaign - both parts - starts getting easier after Beelzebub. Later in the campaigns, I’ve accumulated tons of potions. Rarely have I felt inclined to use any beyond a healing potion, or as a fun bonus for a grand knight. To me this is an indication the campaign could be more challenging.

Playing the campaigns through a second time, you’re more familiar with the best items to craft, which units & upgrade paths have the most potential, what happens each scenario, which toppings Beelzebub likes on his pizza (pepperoni, mushroom, anchovies), and what legacies are good for various units. Hence you'll likely be fielding an even stronger army late game on running through a second time.
nachkar

Post by nachkar »

matsjoyce wrote:Someone was asking a while ago for a wiki page that lists the drop probabilities for each scenario, so now it exists: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/LotI_Scenarios. I can't find who requested it, but sorry for taking so long! :whistle:
Thanks so much, wasnt the one asking but thanks so much nonetheless... ^^ After enough Loti playing and trying to avoid the (or what I feel as the) most OP units and play with some fun themes (all undead army +leaders for example, or only chaotic brigands + chaotic-made units trough gear), any strategic tip like that helps wonders :mrgreen:
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

@nachkar Well, if you think of any other information I can put on that page, do tell me. It's a bit sparse ATM.