Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

Wyrade wrote:The redeem ability disappears from the attack choiches after i kill the first enemy with it. I guess it's not supposed to do that.
It's supposed to do that. It'll be back after three turns. Redeem needed a limitation of this kind when it was like a normal attack.
Wyrade wrote:Btw is it normal that after Chapter 5 it is not prompted whether i want to proceed to the next campaign or not?
Is it on purpose so that we are not excessively poverful because of previous advancements and xp, or just another bug of the development version wesnoth?
It is on purpose so that you're not excessively powerful because of previous advancements and experience. Splitting the campaign to halves also nearly halves the loading times, it would take ages to load if it was just one big campaign.
Naron

Post by Naron »

A little curiosity: how old are Efraim and Lethalia at the end of the campaign?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Approximate timeline::
The result is that they are most likely 12000 years old at the end of the campaign, but they spent most of the time in a deep slumber, so it might be only like 2500 years of conscious life.
Inell

Post by Inell »

It seems im having problems as well with efraim reseting which i think may be caused by using the debug commands to skip a level.Lost in space bugged out and only displayed text without the normal intro, so i had to jump a level from the library.Unfortunately after finishing that scenario he lost all his progress and gear.

I was using 1.11.13 with version if it makes a difference, ive tested with 1.11.15 and the problem still occurs (even starting fresh from the fourth chapter) If you need saves let me know.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I think that skipping The Library scenario should do the trick, the problem occurs at the end of the scenario and the issue in Lost in Space is its consequence. If it doesn't help, attach a save file made by the end of The Library scenario. I already have the fix, I just want to finish some other changes before I update it.
Inell

Post by Inell »

Il wait for the update then since i deleted the saves ( went back to the stable version in the hope it wouldn't happen on that version ) I also had problems with unit advancements. When a unit reached the 100/100 exp needed to advance, the animation for level-up would show but not the menu to chose a new trait. The exp bar would be pushed higher as if i had picked something and i dont think from memory that it happened in the stable version.

Thanks for the time put in the mod
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

Hmm, I got bug in multiplayer version of LOTI - Gladiators scenario.
Config:
I use BfW 1.10.7 @ Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bit).

Issue:
1) Go to Multiplayer -> local game -> setup teams (say, add self to all slots). Use default era and map settings.
2) Start game.
3) Select heroes and difficulty.
4) Look what happens.

Result:
Immediate loss on start for no apparent reason, no matter how slots were set etc.

Extra:
Game outputs the following text into console at this point:

Code: Select all

20140623 06:54:57 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'ai_formula' discarded.
20140623 06:54:58 warning engine: Invalid anchor!
20140623 06:55:00 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, NEUTRAL_SIDE_side_store.team_name
20140623 06:55:22 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, teleport_unit.side
20140623 06:55:22 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, teleport_unit.id
20140623 06:55:22 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, teleport_unit.side
20140623 06:55:22 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, teleport_unit.id
20140623 06:55:22 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, starving.variables.starving
20140623 06:55:22 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
20140623 06:55:58 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, starving.variables.starving
20140623 06:55:58 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
20140623 06:56:06 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, starving.variables.starving
20140623 06:56:06 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
20140623 06:56:15 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, starving.variables.starving
20140623 06:56:15 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
20140623 06:56:26 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, starving.variables.starving
20140623 06:56:26 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
20140623 06:56:38 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, starving.variables.starving
20140623 06:56:38 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I tried your steps, also on BfW 1.10.7 on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit and it didn't happen. I successfully created a team and ended the first turn without losing.

Possible differences between our versions (all of them look unlikely to be the cause of the problem):
Other add-ons installed
Data corruption
I am running it from an SSD
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

Damn... then it likely to be some other add-ons interference. If you're interested, I can put my "data/add-ons" somewhere. But now I'm not really sure it is your bug.

I also have strange issue on "Hordes of other world": units disappear after level-up (savegame attached). Load savegame and attack orc at 16,192 with elf at 15,192. If elf kills that orc, elf disappears after upgrade path selection dialog closes. Used your RPG AMLA era - AoH when starting game. Is it some other add-ons interference?

Tbh, I do not get why Wesnoth trying to load all add-ons in multiplayer mode. This seems to cause the fact addons can interfere each other in multiplayer. And then I stepped on even more funny bug: if you have more than certain amount of add-ons, everything works in campaigns, etc but game engine would break in weird ways in multiplayer mode, facing weird string parsing errors in thousands (about 3Mb error log). And then map selection dialog would appear but some strings would be corrupt/empty. I think it is fundamentally wrong for game engine to load absolutely all add-ons at once? Giving load of room for interferece, huge parsing time and strange bugs, which are extremely hard to pinpoint and troubleshoot. I could understand parsing all "maps" (scenarios) and campaigns. But say, it sounds really strange to parse all eras if only one would be selected anyway? I do think its something like fundamental bug in engine? Am I correct in this idea?
Attachments
LotI_-_Hordes_of_the_Other_..._Turn_8-BUG.gz
failing savegame
(443.3 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

t3st3r wrote:Damn... then it likely to be some other add-ons interference
Maybe you could try to move most of the subfolders of the add-ons folder elsewhere, see if it works, return add-ons one by one until the problem returns. The problem you reported looked like related to some blank variables, which may be the case of the issue you've written about bellow.
t3st3r wrote:Used your RPG AMLA era - AoH when starting game.
That one isn't compatible with LotI. It was meant for survival scenarios without complex WML, not for this. Anyway, I've recently made quite an overhaul to that scenario, it will be a part of the next update.
t3st3r wrote:And then I stepped on even more funny bug: if you have more than certain amount of add-ons, everything works in campaigns, etc but game engine would break in weird ways in multiplayer mode, facing weird string parsing errors in thousands (about 3Mb error log).
I have observed that when during loading the game occupies too much space in RAM, (about two gigabytes), it dumps most of the memory with very dangerous possible consequences. When it accidentally happened to me in my program, the result was empty and corrupt strings. I think that you're right here.
It might be worth checking how much space are these add-ons occupying. Some WML codes contain monstrous macro bloat which can cause even small add-ons take large amounts of memory for no apparent reason. Even LotI takes 130 megabytes despite many optimisations used (without them, it would devour 2 gigabytes of memory itself). Try to delete those that occupy more than 500 megabytes.
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

Code: Select all

That one isn't compatible with LotI.
That's rather strange because wouldn't it be logical enough to have LoTI-style advances in LoTI-based scenarios? Or LoTI maps have something similar even without selecting such eras?

p.s. yes, I like your advancement system (and hence RPG Era) over default heck a LOT. Though it sometimes can be not very well balanced. Leveling units at low levels seems to be harder than leveling them on AMLA (maybe low-levels should be a bit easier to advance in that era?). And there is serious difference in initial XP required after maximum level to advance units. Needless to say, units taking less XP are faster to advance and take more advancements, quickly outperforming units which initially require more XP to advance, even if initial level is same (e.g. L4 unit).

As for moving add-ons away I already did something like that when trying to see what addon causes strings corruption. There is also optimized way, which can reduce 170+ iterations down to less than 10: binary subdivision (something like "git bisect" does). I.e. move away half addons, see if bug persists. It allows to detect troublesome half. Then it can be divided by half again the same way. And then again. After few iterations we're at point of trouble. Interestingly, this technique gave me strange results for broken strings, leading me to marking more and more addons "bad" and finally it turned out it not some particular addon but rather their amount. D'oh. Why they should be loaded at same time? If I could only use, say, one era, its real waste to load and parse all 10 eras. Same goes for maps, etc. How I'm supposed to know how much memory add-on takes? Maybe I should file bug to BfW itself? I do not get why it should be wrong to download some 10 eras, couple of dozens of campaigns and some maps, it would work, but when you'll try multiplayer, things would break in really funny ways.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

t3st3r wrote:Or LoTI maps have something similar even without selecting such eras?
Yes. LotI uses default units, both in singleplayer and in multiplayer, their advancement paths were altered without using any eras (this saves a lot of memory space).

Regarding RPG AMLA Era, I consider the project abandoned, because although it was popular on wesnoth 1.8, it is used minimally nowadays. Furthermore, it implements a lot of things LotI has as well, but LotI is currently way more advanced in these things. Updating it would require so much work (for little use) that it would be easier to create an era that would be based on using LotI as resources. Anyway, there is a third-party add-on named LotI mod that can load LotI settings into multiplier, still without the need of an era.

If I remember correctly, some developers are working on a change to make multiplier load like singleplayer, without loading everything. To measure which add-ons take how much space, try to load them one by one and see how much RAM does wesnoth use in System Monitor or htop and compare that to a case when there are no add-ons at all.
ballislife15

Post by ballislife15 »

Im stuck on pandemonium, the only unit left is her avatar and whenever i attack it she disappears and it still tells me i cant enter
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Upload the save file, I'll fix that. I have fixed the problem, but haven't updated the version on the server yet.
ballislife15

Post by ballislife15 »

LotI2-Pandemonium_Turn_1.gz
here it is
(2.73 MiB) Downloaded 141 times