Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

white_haired_uncle

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Dugi wrote: March 14th, 2019, 10:55 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: March 14th, 2019, 9:06 pm IIRC, the first scenario has individual demons, but shortly after that your barely advanced units are taking on packs of over a dozen. And of course quite often when I would surround a singleton it would end up with ~1HP and then kill my unit closest to levelling up.
In which scenario does it get too bad?
I'm not sure, probably C10S02. If I remember that one right (which is a stretch), you still encounter singletons, but then several times you encounter packs of about 15. The way I remember chapter 10, it jumps from you fighting one or two at a time to over a dozen, which is too drastic for me. Hopefully others can chime in.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

And finaly I've finished the whole campaign. So a couple of questions.. Is there a cap on how much a single unit can buff another? The royalty and aura of universal anihaltion dont stack- What is hidden in the passage of detriment? As soon as I saw it was 300*300 I bolted. Where is Beelzebub in Inferno? Will you ever do an expansion for Drakes,Saurians and Nagas + the dwarvish explorer? Who was the voice that told the prince all the secrets back in chapter 4? Lilith or Yahve? Do you plan on doing more add-ons? Who is Eidolon?

As for feedback, I have never used undead units except for the last chapter for liches. They get destroyed by demons and are slow + no legacy(except for the liches), Jungle Hell should be shorter.. Blackguard are MVPs.

Some fun stats: Efraim leveled up 26 and had redeem 13 (135/156) and Lethalia 29 times and redeem 12 (69/117) Total gold value killed 63115.
Destructinator

Post by Destructinator »

Just now I got to the Uria fight and when she transforms she becomes a level 0. I won pretty almost immediately by redeeming her. I'm assuming this is a bug so... here you go!
PansyLad

Post by PansyLad »

This is my first playthrough of the campaign and I've been having a lot of fun with it making my super army and buffing them up.
However as the story goes on you get to recall less and less of your older units and now that I've gotten to Chapter 05- Scenario 6, where I finally have the ability to mass recall old units, it's not what I expected.

It looks like it takes priority summoning the absolute bottom of the barrel of units. I get a handful of level 1 units with a max of 4XP among all of them. Clearly units that didn't see any battle as opposed to my units that I wanted to keep playing with.
My fun in the campaign has really been going on these adventures with my recalled units and now I've hit a wall. Is there no way to pick which units I get to recall from previous chapters to continue the campaign? Or atleast have the mass recall prioritize my highest level units instead of lowest?
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

PansyLad wrote: March 17th, 2019, 4:21 am This is my first playthrough of the campaign and I've been having a lot of fun with it making my super army and buffing them up.
However as the story goes on you get to recall less and less of your older units and now that I've gotten to Chapter 05- Scenario 6, where I finally have the ability to mass recall old units, it's not what I expected.

It looks like it takes priority summoning the absolute bottom of the barrel of units. I get a handful of level 1 units with a max of 4XP among all of them. Clearly units that didn't see any battle as opposed to my units that I wanted to keep playing with.
My fun in the campaign has really been going on these adventures with my recalled units and now I've hit a wall. Is there no way to pick which units I get to recall from previous chapters to continue the campaign? Or atleast have the mass recall prioritize my highest level units instead of lowest?
I'm not sure about this, but I think I know the part you are describing. Right click (maybe on your leader) and look for something like Configure Autorecall. I know there's a part of one of the LOTI-based campaign where you start every scenario with around 10 veterans automatically recalled and you can select which ones.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: March 18th, 2019, 8:10 pm
PansyLad wrote: March 17th, 2019, 4:21 am It looks like it takes priority summoning the absolute bottom of the barrel of units. I get a handful of level 1 units with a max of 4XP among all of them. Clearly units that didn't see any battle as opposed to my units that I wanted to keep playing with.
I'm not sure about this, but I think I know the part you are describing. Right click (maybe on your leader) and look for something like Configure Autorecall. I know there's a part of one of the LOTI-based campaign where you start every scenario with around 10 veterans automatically recalled and you can select which ones.
This isn't such a part (if I recall this correctly), you run around with pretty much all of your units.

While having to mass-recall multiple times is annoyning (good enough of a reason to do something about it), it won't really block you because you can use it as many times as you want (over multiple scenarios/rooms).
ciri

Post by ciri »

Hello everyone, Im an new forum user but a rather old wesnoth player from China, as Im not sure if any Chinese are roaming in the forum and especially about this campaign.

First of all, I really, really, really love the campaign and many thanks to its author Master Dugi, providing such a awesome game in Wesnoth. I have played this game for at least 4~5 times in 4~5 years. Everytime when I open the game I'd like to check whether there was an update, and if I have time, I ll play.

This game is just like a remix of orginal Wesnoth and some RPG farming game. Im just enjoy farming gears and beat the enemies. You guys will know the joy when you equip Dugi's weapon and armor, slaugtering everything. From the updates in these years I found many changes, both in story line and game system. The story is become more fun, just in the end, I think Im playing a game with "one man and multiple women" (little lad not included). In chapter 10, near the story end, all the important guys reunited except Argan ( I really missed his 'feed' passive ability), and the son of the main character is chasing his father's ex-girlfriend (reincarnation) with his Mom's tacit permission, lols.This campagin have accompanied me for years, through my bachelor to Master degree. So do I still have the chance to see the sequel of the stories? (Other campagins by Dugi haven't tired yet). This campagin is so perfect and complete even considered it as a individual game is not bad. As Wesnoth now shows up on Steam, so if the sequel of the campagin is sold through other means Im glad to be one of the first supporters.

The next thing is that because my love in this game, I want have a Chinese version and let more ppl in China will enjoy the add-on campagins.Unfortunately Im really not good at coding(I ll write my own campagin if I could), though I really want to contributes to Chinese translating. After I read the construction for translator at the first page Im still confused about the downloading of the exe files and the next proceedings,although the construction is clear enough, but its still hard for foreign language users to handle, not for a pure coding idiot. So if any Chinese user on this forum see this and wants to translate the whole campagin pls contact me. I can do all the language jobs.

Thanks for this campagin in the end~

BTW, I really want to post my char, Efraim 271 hp in Chapter 9, 54*16 with Decimator in melee and 25*11 with Dugis' wrath knife in range. Lethalia is also invincible with 80% resist and mockery absorb passives. The main char are meat grinders. I still want to do more builds but when I graduate in gears the campagin is already at the end. No new boss and stories for me, so this might be my feedback, I WANT MORE! (lols)
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

ciri wrote: March 19th, 2019, 1:19 pm So do I still have the chance to see the sequel of the stories? (Other campagins by Dugi haven't tired yet).
There is the Beautiful Child( sequel spin-off) and Affably Evil(direct prequel)
ciri

Post by ciri »

StellarStar wrote: March 19th, 2019, 2:02 pm
ciri wrote: March 19th, 2019, 1:19 pm So do I still have the chance to see the sequel of the stories? (Other campagins by Dugi haven't tired yet).
There is the Beautiful Child( sequel spin-off) and Affably Evil(direct prequel)
Thanks for reminding, I have downloaded but havent played yet. I ll play soon.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Instead of sleeping as intelligent people do, I spent a night looking through items... so here are my thoughts on all the sets (and a few other items). This comes almost a week late, as I didn't get to sit down and typeset my notes sooner (a quick copy to word tells me, these are 8 pages and over 3k words... have a fun ride :? ). This will not help fix the completion problem, but I think there are already a couple good ideas floating around for that.

For full disclosure: I did take a look at difficulty differences, but mostly considered item impact on hard.

To start with, comments on some items usefulness and identity - for this I only looked at items I currently have in game, I only read through files for the set items:
Normal items:
Now, more importantly, my thoughts on item sets as pertaining to the recent discussion of set items uselessly lying around and the overall state of item sets. Opinions on single items do not take set boni into account if not mentioned otherwise. For this, I did read through all code here and didn't just go for sets I had in my latest replay. I'm very happy to hear other thoughts/opinions on this. The ideas below are bound to be biased by my play-style and (dis)likes and it should be interesting to see what you people do with all the sets! :)

Overview:
Cunctator:
Rherraent's:
Exterminator's:
Gloomy:
Koschei:
King:
Dark:
Lethal:
Grim Reaper:
Ice:
Un-sensed:
Pyromancer:
Wisdom:
Theophrastus:
Legion/Hunter:
(Quint-)Essence:
Eidolon:
Last edited by Whiskeyjack on March 20th, 2019, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
ciri

Post by ciri »

Dugi wrote: December 8th, 2010, 6:51 pm This is the feedback forum for the Legend of the Invincibles singleplayer campaign. If you have played the campaign and have any comments regarding it (bugs, difficulty), feel free to post about it here, I am interested in reading it, even if it is a petty thing. Because of the size of the campaign, there are always things that might need some polishing.
I have a question, why in Chapter 10 all my items vanished? Krux and Vritra return to lv 1 with no experience gained from former chapters (before his parents go into inferno). Still, in the last battle, his parents come back but only the items weared on their body are existed. The other items all vanished. Its quite confusing. Just everything go to zero at the beginning of chapter 10
dabber

Post by dabber »

ciri, the storyline explains a bit of what happened to them at the start of chapter 10.
For items in the last battle, the items were definitely merged incorrectly a while back. I put some fixes in the github version in January. I don't know if that made it into official download, or if other changes to item system might have re-broken that.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Whiskeyjack, my comments:
* Bow of plagiarism is useful for suck. I actually use it for that reason.
* Lake of Blood seems okay to me. Sure it's almost solely a support item, but it isn't good enough that it is used often.
* Ring of Unearthly Existence is probably suicidal in part 2, but I believe is not so bad in part 1.

* Cunctator's sword: I commonly have a unit just for explosive slow with hit-and-run. I think the sword is plenty useful. Antisocial is not contrary to shield; the set does defense at the penalty of offense. That said, the set is total junk overall and I only ever touch the sword.
* King's set: I really like this set as something useful but not awesome. I would definitely give some small improvement to the ring, but that's it.
* I think Dark is great. +2 base attacks is plenty powerful and it should be lacking in other ways. I will sometimes use the gloves on their own, when I don't have enough Draingloves. I've used this whole set on Efraim sometimes, especially if I get the parts early.
* Ice set: I agree that the penalties make the set unusable in part 2. It might be usable in part 1, but it doesn't drop there. If it were to change, I would focus on reducing the penalties but not increasing the strengths. Weapon slow is pretty useful and Intoxicator isn't cheap to craft.
* Un-sensed set: Disagree with your overall evaluation. Just the fact that you are torn between Un-sensed, Wisdom and Pyromancer's Cloak means this is somewhat balanced. Remember this set exists in part 1 also, where arcane, cold and fire resistance is less desperately necessary. I think it strikes a good balance between individual pieces having a use, the set having a use, and not being too good.
* Pyromancer set: I think firecast is almost worthless because it only works on offense and I don't generally need more damage output on my turn, especially not with a large penalty to damage on enemy turn.
* Theophrastus set: I think I've never completed the full set without hacking a saved game. This set still wasn't enough to make ghosts viable in part 2 for me. If anything, I would upgrade the regen to normal 8 hps per turn.
* Eidolon's set: Did you miss that the sword has Unholybane, and thus quadruple damage against demons? Plus it has Leech, which is very rare and really good. Even facing their high arcane resistance, this does serious damage. And if you reduce a target's resistances some, it is quite powerful. My Duke wears everything except the necklace. He always hangs out in a group including someone with Legacy of Kings to buff him, so the lack of resistances is not debilitating. He helps the group move faster and provides a potential big punch, especially in conjuction with a Celestial Messenger (Conviction) and/or Stormrend Swordmaster (Doom). I'm not sure its the best setup for him, but it has been good enough that I've kept it for a while.
ciri

Post by ciri »

dabber wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:47 pm ciri, the storyline explains a bit of what happened to them at the start of chapter 10.
I mean,when I got into Chapter 10, I saw the 145/145 hp of Krux suddenly return to 145/76 at the end of dialog. Its funny, and they lost their alma abilities, just because 'separation of parents make them develop'? Anyway, I ll play from the very beginning.

I think the item is not fixed yet, both in official and beta one in add-on, just form my perspective.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

dabber wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:50 pm [...]

* Lake of Blood seems okay to me. Sure it's almost solely a support item, but it isn't good enough that it is used often.

[...]

* Cunctator's sword: I commonly have a unit just for explosive slow with hit-and-run. I think the sword is plenty useful. Antisocial is not contrary to shield; the set does defense at the penalty of offense. That said, the set is total junk overall and I only ever touch the sword.

[...]

* Un-sensed set: Disagree with your overall evaluation. Just the fact that you are torn between Un-sensed, Wisdom and Pyromancer's Cloak means this is somewhat balanced. Remember this set exists in part 1 also, where arcane, cold and fire resistance is less desperately necessary. I think it strikes a good balance between individual pieces having a use, the set having a use, and not being too good.

[...]

* Theophrastus set: I think I've never completed the full set without hacking a saved game. This set still wasn't enough to make ghosts viable in part 2 for me. If anything, I would upgrade the regen to normal 8 hps per turn.

* Eidolon's set: Did you miss that the sword has Unholybane, and thus quadruple damage against demons? Plus it has Leech, which is very rare and really good. Even facing their high arcane resistance, this does serious damage. And if you reduce a target's resistances some, it is quite powerful. My Duke wears everything except the necklace. He always hangs out in a group including someone with Legacy of Kings to buff him, so the lack of resistances is not debilitating. He helps the group move faster and provides a potential big punch, especially in conjuction with a Celestial Messenger (Conviction) and/or Stormrend Swordmaster (Doom). I'm not sure its the best setup for him, but it has been good enough that I've kept it for a while.
1) Hm. I think I run it on every Dwarvish Hero I get, and on caster Lethalia until I get Fowleri's Chopper.

2) Do you get the damage high enough to profit from this though? I don't really see the benefit over a strong unit with IDL that can hold it's own, especially considering I can easily advance my front line past that unit.

3) Well, I think up to now the choice always fell on the side of Wisdom, and Pyromancer is only in discussion against components of the other sets, not against full sets ;-)
But you might still be right with part 1, so I'll concede the point.

4) Was this restricted to ghosts only? That would change things considerably. Otherwise I stand by the point that Exile and resistances of that magnitude are quite strong if they don't take an item slot ;-)

5) You are right, I totally did miss those (didn't have it drop in game yet, would have been obvious there). I also never knew unholybane worked against demons. That indeed sounds like the sword is quite strong (didn't have it in game yet) whenever demons are concerned. I'm still not convinced that the rest of the set is worthwhile, a combination with strong items would probably result in an overall stronger unit, but then at least the sword and whatever set pieces seem suitable do have their place.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.