Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Hex

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Hex »

How is anger any different then charge? Or is it the same ability with a different name?

Radiating insanity : All nearby allies fight with a bloodlust equal to the dwarvish berserk.

Does that mean all physical melee attacks get berserk added to them? What about say a arcane melee? Physical range?
Dikkin

Post by Dikkin »

@Hex
Charge double your damage and damage of target, Anger double the number of your attack and number of targets attack. I think that Radiating insanity affect only melee attacks, it would be strange if it depends on the type of attack, but i'm not sure about this.
Hex

Post by Hex »

Found even more evidence a refund system would be useful, so much experimenting required to determine different stuff, and not having to reload so often would be very appreciated.

Argon still leaves your party without warning and takes all items on him with him.

Got another +1 move and +1 def on everything for Lethalia, and it still hasn't applied for mountains, mountains still have no bonus in defence.
Hex

Post by Hex »

In the special advancements there is "Health (+10 to hp advancements)" I have no idea what this means. This means +10 hp per unit level, including max levels? Future levels?
Though when you actually pick it, it just says "more healthy" and doesn't even give 10hp, it gives 7. But does it keep giving for each level after this?

What I want to know is, does it pay to choose "more healthy" earlier on, do you get more HP this way?

What does the advancement "Spiritual transformation" do?

When I choose advancement "able to parry blows" it doesn't give any existing attacks the ability to parry blows, it gives me a new pathetic 15-1 *edited in latter, actually 8-1, a item and time of day was throwing off the number* attack with parry on it. Does this increase when I increase sword ability? If I increase sword ability first, then get this, is this parry ability more?

How exactly does parry work, lets say I am defending against a attack, opponent misses me, does the parry attack kick in, even if auto chooses another attack to defend with? Can it choose the parry attack, or another attack to defend with depending on whether opponent misses or not? If no on all these, then this is pretty sad. And this isn't the only advancement that gives units a new really weak and useless attack.

I've mentioned this before, I will mention this again. When I choose to equip stuff, it automatically dumps previously equipped items onto the ground, this should be addressed. I hate having to remember to store previous item before equipping new items to avoid that ground dumping.
Last edited by Hex on August 11th, 2014, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

About "Health (+10 to hp advancements)", it only unlocks 4 advancements which add you 9 hitpoints each (well, it seems like an outdated description).
What I want to know is, does it pay to choose "more healthy" earlier on, do you get more HP this way?
As far as I know, you get the same amount no matter when you take these advancements.
About "Spiritual transformation", it teaches you a new attack. If you use it, you take in retaliation only 33% damage. You can improve a bit damage what it does.
About "parry attack", description of the special states:
When the target misses, the attacker will hit him without any checks.
so you actually use it in offense. If the unit which you are attacking with it misses, you harm him for the usual damage of this attack. Its damage can be improved a bit.
Does this increase when I increase sword ability?
I think yes. Its damage is derived from sword's damage.
Hex

Post by Hex »

Improved a bit? If parry blow only works in attack, then in order for target to miss, first attacker must hit twice. Because attackers almost always hit first anyway, and thus couldn't have had defenders miss before then. In short, the parry effect wouldn't even appear with only 1 attack unless attacking a unit with first strike (which are very few, and not come across one yet in campaign)

Derived from my sword damage? You mean a tiny fraction of my sword damage, if it does.
My swordsman has a 11-6 attack before weapon boosting, parry gives it a 8-1 attack, and since parry doesn't apply to the first blow, its basically a 8-1 attack without parry. But lets say I give my swordsman a item that gives it one extra attack(no way a item that increases by percentage will give it a extra attack because those all seem to round down, so it would need 100%) Then my swordsman would have a 11-7 attack and a 8-2 attack where only half of the attack has potentially a parry effect. Which to use...

Parry is a absolutely and utterly worthless advancement. A trap advancement to ensnare those not paying attention with a wasted advancement.

And as mentioned before, there are other advancements too that give you new weak attacks. Granted, none are as pathetically weak as Parry from what I've seen but they aren't that strong either, and as mentioned before, all these attacks become troublesome. Instead of parry giving you a new attack, perhaps it should apply to a existing attack.

Could you make it so players can choose which attack their units use in defense? If a unit has two attacks, one might be stronger, but the other have greater infect, but since the system decides which attack is used for defending, its going to pick the stronger attack, even if the greater infect attack is better for defending.

Maybe this would be too powerful, I don't know, but shouldn't warlocks magically flaming sword, have a magical attack? Or perhaps that could be a future advancement?

BTW, a number of attacks don't show up in advancement screen. Like Eframs berserk attacks don't show there. So you don't know what it would look like before being picked, or how it would be altered by sword advancement.
Last edited by Hex on August 11th, 2014, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James_The_Invisible

Hex wrote:Improved a bit?
Well, the Swordmaster has advancements which increase damage and number of strikes of the parry attack but I do not think that they increase it so much.
Derived from my sword damage? You mean a tiny fraction of my sword damage, if it does.
That parts of Dugi's code are quite difficult to understand for me but it should be a part (maybe x%) of sword's damage.
Could you make it so players can choose which attack their units use in defense?
It is possible but it is up to Dugi whether he wants to implement it or not. (I just decided to answer some of your questions when he is gone, as I know the answers.)
BTW, a number of attacks don't show up in advancement screen. Like Eframs berserk attacks don't show there. So you don't know what it would look like before being picked, or how it would be altered by sword advancement.
They are not shown simply because there is no space for them and that window's size cannot be adjusted as far as I know.
Hex

Post by Hex »

Alot of these descriptions need to be improved a great deal. And information about which kind of weapons are which like mentioned before, which attacks are magical (not talking about the trait "magical", or the element type, neither of which are certain indicators of magical status for the purpose of items and advancements), and so on. Also clearly text needs updating. Like instead of "Health (+10 to hp advancements)" and "More healthy", instead it should be "4 advancement options that give 7 HP each" and "7 more HP" (yes clicking it and seeing how the HP changes works too, but why not change description to be clearer when its so easy to be much clearer in nearly the same amount of letters) BTW, a increase in 7hp is not much, hardly seems worth it.

Dark helm of destruction gives 1 more attack. But it doesn't specify what kind of attacks it gives 1 more attack to. Does give 1 more sword attack. Gives 1 more crossbow attack. (with 40 attack, that's pretty sweet, means he crossbow upgrade is less worth getting since that reduces crossbow damage while increasing attack number) Does not give 1 more shadow wave attack. Does not give 1 more parry attack. For some reason the parry attack number does not get boosted by helm of destruction, further proving its status as the booby prize advancement
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Attack isn't strike, is it? An attack is a complete attack, thus means you can attack two or more times with all strikes of a weapon.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Hex

Post by Hex »

Heindal wrote:Attack isn't strike, is it? An attack is a complete attack, thus means you can attack two or more times with all strikes of a weapon.
Oh I think I know at least part of what you're saying. Yes, a attack is a full attack where as strike is one more hit within a particular attack.
Helm of destruction says it gives one more attack, but in fact it means it gives one more strike. It does not give one the ability to attack again, choosing a different type of attack or target. This is one more example where the description of something is not so good and misleading.

Earlier versions of this campaign suffered from bad english, that has been improved since then. Maybe Dugi improved his english or had previously farmed out the work or what not, I am not sure. But I think a number of descriptions still suffer from this bad english, and/or have not been updated to reflect changes made since then.

A number of advancement options I wish to ask about.

What are these/how do they work? what are their damage and number of strikes?...
  • Lightning?
    Thunderer? (is that the piercing gun attack, or magical fire? I figure the latter since it requires other magical attacks unlocked first but I don't want to just assume that)
    Meteor?
    And does X penetration means you reduce opponents resistance against that type by 10, whether attacking or defending? If physical, does it scale according to foes existing resistance?
Does abilities like explosion or whirlwind that damage units around you give Soul stealer kill credits if they kill, and exp for those kills? If not, are there any such attacks that do?

BTW. I still think Escape from magma prison scenario needs free items that give cave/mushroom walking and plague attack at start.

But for the snow levels, aside from making sure the other allied AI doesn't wander off his leader spot, the ability to craft snow shoes. They can be real cheap and only give movement 1 in snow as a benefit (no armor or anything else) They should be limited in what you can get back from them from recycling/smashing, as to address the issue of exploiting that mechanism to convert gem types. Also, can only be foot wear, no other options.
Last edited by Hex on August 12th, 2014, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
xuanquang

Post by xuanquang »

I lose my way in chapter 9. I have reached to Pandermonium but still not found the way to defeat Uria. I had Lilith surrendered, but didn't kill Abaddon yet. In game, Efraim says that Abaddon can be only killed at somewhere, I forgot its name. So, my discovered maps until now.
loti-c9map.png
Are there any instructions?
Hex

Post by Hex »

James_The_Invisible wrote:
Hex wrote:BTW, a number of attacks don't show up in advancement screen. Like Eframs berserk attacks don't show there. So you don't know what it would look like before being picked, or how it would be altered by sword advancement.
They are not shown simply because there is no space for them and that window's size cannot be adjusted as far as I know.
That's not it. I added a shadow wave as a fifth attack type and that showed in the advancement list, but the berserk attacks does not show there, before adding shadow wave either

Neither does whirlwind attack on a shadow-walker with only 3 attack choices (would be 4 with whirlwind attack, if it listed)
Last edited by Hex on August 12th, 2014, 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Masterchief40k

Played it myself a bit

Post by Masterchief40k »

The length and deepness made it my favourite add-on if you have enough time for this.
Well a few things could be changed like Argon leaving with your stuff and coming back without them.(as mentioned by Hex before)
When Efraim becomes a Lich I felt like he`s becoming weak and stays weaker than before, or maybe the enemies get better balancing?! Either way its good to me before becoming a Lich I felt him Overpowered whats fun but wouldnt be a lot of fun through the whole story.
The main creepy thing to me was the LOT of Enemies in some scenarios. in the one where in the mission screen stands something about scip enemy turn i already had to do this miles ago the game became slow maybe there could be stronger enemies instead of much?
Its a lot of fun GOOD WORK !
James_The_Invisible

Hex wrote:What are these/how do they work? what are their damage and number of strikes?...
lightning: 35-1, magical, can be improved to 42-2 with first strike (attacking first even in defense)
thunderer: (you meant thunder?) 30-1 explosive, can be improved to 50-1, it is rather magical fire than some gun
meteor: 40-1 fire, magical, explosive, cannot be used in defense, its damage can be increased by 30
penetration: yes, it reduces enemy's resistances, both in offense and defense
Does abilities like explosion or whirlwind that damage units around you give Soul stealer kill credits if they kill, and exp for those kills?
They give credit and experiences only for the primary target.
That's not it. I added a shadow wave as a fifth attack type and that showed in the advancement list, but the berserk attacks does not show there, before adding shadow wave either
Having not enough space would be the most obvious cause but looking at his berserk I can tell that it is added in a bit hacky way, not like other attacks. I think that it is why berserk is not shown.
Last edited by James_The_Invisible on August 12th, 2014, 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xuanquang

Post by xuanquang »

penetration: yes, it reduces enemy's resistances, both in offense and defense
In fact, all enemies nearby get that resistance reduced ( Your other units can attack and deal more damage because of this)