Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (now complete)

Post by Dugi »

@othalan
I fixed that bug some time ago but didn't upload anything yet. I have uploaded it now. Restart it from the time just before she appears and it should be fine.
3.0.10 changelog:
@HolyDiver
You got a crash, not a crush, getting a crush means you fell in love :D
Anyway, that's a 1.11.7-specific bug. If I have read correctly, it is fixed and the fix will come with wesnoth 1.11.8, that should be released this weekend if everything goes well.

@Raijer
Thanks for helping me. I have released a fix for the bug, so there is no need for debug mode. Fixing it in debug mode is very hard, by the way.
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

In Gladiators multiplayer campaign,
when last enemy unit dies from incinerate effect, the round doesn't end.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

There is a possibility that his death does not activate the defeated enemy wave event (in that case, you can fix it simply by ending the turn manually), but doesn't sound like turn that doesn't end. What do you mean that the turn doesn't end?
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

Dugi wrote:possibility that his death does not activate the defeated enemy wave event
Yes, that was what I meant.

2. Sometimes "Glitch item" is bought when I try to buy "Tormentor of Light" (leftmost trader).
I never seen it when buying other items.

3. Attached file is a save game (1.10) of Gladiators with 30% experience to level. Try to smash any item currently on hero. This will change both current and maximum experience.
Attachments
smash_experience.gz
(236.73 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

1. I am not quite sure what's the problem, the unit should be killed while firing that event, it appears to be some sort of problem in wesnoth's code.

2. There was a typo causing it. Fixed.

3. That's weird, that was no unit with 30% experience to level, just one player unit with 43/44 experience. But when I destroyed an item in her inventory, his maximum experience dropped and he leveled up, making his maximum experience drop even more. Really strange, I'll need to have a closer look at that. Didn't you set a custom experience modifier or something like that?
Xavion

Post by Xavion »

For gladiators, I've noticed that the last unit killed in a fight seems to not give any xp, for combat or kill.

There also seems to be odd things in the help menu for mp and sp, "Explosive" and "explosive", "first strike" and "firststrike". The missing links seem to indicate a wider bug in the way it treats unit variations. A fair few specials seem to be missing as well, I can't remember for sure any of them though.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

For gladiators, I've noticed that the last unit killed in a fight seems to not give any xp, for combat or kill.
It appears that if the kill event happens before the unit gets the experience for the kill. If the unit is moved away from the hex before it gets the experience, it will not get it.
There are only three possibilities:
1. Asking the developers to change it.
2. Waiting for the player to end his turn before returning into the barracks.
3. Adding a chunk of code that adds the experience to the killer of the last unit.
Which one would you prefer?
There also seems to be odd things in the help menu for mp and sp, "Explosive" and "explosive", "first strike" and "firststrike". The missing links seem to indicate a wider bug in the way it treats unit variations. A fair few specials seem to be missing as well, I can't remember for sure any of them though.
I could not find any weapon specials named "Explosive" and "first strike" in the LotI code. It appears that those are penetrating from some other add-ons. I am not sure what do you mean with unit variations, I am using those minimally in LotI because I don't like how they work. Weapon specials added only by items aren't listed there.
Xavion

Post by Xavion »

I checked the code, it seems to use the name field to populate the weapon specials category of help, the problem is apparently caused by adding custom abilities on the units. Explosive appears on the Demon Queen's faerie fire attack and firststrike on firststrike on voracious herb and flower of evil. As for the unit variations they are used for unholy breed and demon queen, it seems to break all links to them from abilities/specials making it so they don't even reliably appear in the lists and when they do it's not a link.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Well, that's right. Demon Queen has an explosive attack that is slightly different from the usual explosive attack, and that is probably why it's listed again. Same with the firstrike of the Voracious Herb, that one works only if there is a Hatredshroom next to it; it is visible only if it is active and in that case it has exactly the same properties as the usual firststrike, so why to name it differently. In both cases, I would be glad if it was possible to prevent them from being shown in the help menu, but the help menu is pretty much impossible to control, all that can be done is to hide some unit types from being listed.

And yes, these two units do have variations, in both cases because it's required for their unique properties. If they're shown improperly in help, it's a bug in wesnoth, I have absolutely no control over it. You can fill a bug report if you want. All I could do was to hide the variations and their abilities from the help entirely.
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

Dugi wrote:Didn't you set a custom experience modifier or something like that?
Yes, to 30%.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It wasn't designed for that. It will work properly only with default map settings, experience modifier 70%. It appears that there is no way to learn what experience modifier you have set, so I had to assume it is 70%, also because it appears to result in an appropriate advancing speed.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Merry Christmas everyone!
I've released a special Christmas update, not exactly giving gifts, that would ruin balance, but increasing the variety of items. Most of the new items will be rather rare.

Code: Select all

3.0.11 (development/maintenance)
Added 20 new items (there is now 200 items in total)
Added a new miscellaneous item effect, vision, that increases the distance how far can the unit reveal shroud or fog and added it to some items (1.11 only, might not be visible in the description if using older save files)
Plague that creates something else than Walking Corpses shows what it creates behind its name in brackets
Special traits will show correct descriptions now (only on wesnoth 1.11.8 and newer)
Aevyn

Post by Aevyn »

Merry Christmas!

A while ago I reported a bug that a unit couldn't advance to death knight. I tried reproducing it, but to no avail. I even saved the turn where the bug occurred, but it never happened again. After Christmas, I'll come back here to write somethings about Chapter 9. Once again, Merry Christmas.

With 20 new items in the game, looks like I'll be starting the campaigns over once more.
Jeffers0n

Post by Jeffers0n »

The item Traces of Blood has no image
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Aevyn
There are some strange bugs that occur randomly and unexplainably, and can never be repeated. You seem to have seen one like that. I have seen them too. I believe there is a bug somewhere deep within wesnoth's code that makes it accidentally overwrite random places in memory, which causes some random crashes and weird behaviour, but there is no evidence, it's just an explanation that fits some problems.

@Jeffers0n
Are you sure about it? It has the same image as several other items that exist for many months and don't show the image-not-found hex. I've seen that images sometimes randomly fail to load, saving, restarting the game and loading the save again fixes this problem (with very high level of probability). Can you please verify if it happens again?