Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (chapter 8 is out)

Post by Dugi »

It appears that he advanced four times without properly switching into another unit type to get proper advancements. I tried to replicate the conditions, but everything went correctly, and I wasn't able to replicate your error. I think that some random error happened, if it'll happen again, report it. By the way, when you tried to reload a save file of that scenario when the error was happening, did it happen again?

I decided to upload the changes, don't expect anything significant, just a few balancing stuff and some petty bugfixes. And added a portrait for Argan, but it is nothing wonderful, just something drawn by me with a quick correction by Crow_T. Scenarios Den of Evil and Search for Elves weren't changed, I need to imagine how should they look.
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

Dugi wrote:You misunderstood it. When the unit advances (advance event, that is ran just before advancing), it is transformed into that "Advancing" unit, because that unit has AMLA advancements. Advancements in normal units cause performance issues if there is too many of them, so they appear only for a very short time. The "Advancing" unit advances during the advance event (not after it), firing the advance and post advance events again. To prevent an endless inception, there are some mechanisms that make sure the same code won't be run again. Because all changes to a unit are undone after an advance event, the unit is stored and then unstored in a post advance event, where it is transformed back into a unit that does not have the AMLA (without that "Advancing" property), and some of its properties are calculated.
So you are telling that the post advance event doesn't fire?
Right, the post advance event doesn't fire until another unit advances sometime later.
Dugi wrote:I loaded the first one, killed a troll with Efraim, advanced... and nothing happened. He just advanced, I chose one of his advancements, and then he was improved.
I loaded the second save file, and I found only one Efraim there. He seemed to lack some properties, his attacks were not updated. This didn't happen when I was trying to replicate this.
I have tried it on 1.10 and on 1.11.0. The bug appeared on your 1.11.0, but not on mine. It seems an event doesn't fire, causing some variables to behave differently and cause some mess. Can you please try the thing with probes on 1.10.4 (that is already compiled for most platforms, and should be the same as mine) and on 1.11.0 to see what happened differently?
Okay, I'm downloading the official distributions now.

EDIT: On 1.10 (official binary), the bug does not occur, although I noticed that my experience is reset to 0 after the advance (I should have 10 XP left, considering I killed a level 2 with only 6 XP to go).

EDIT2: 1.11.0, same deal as 1.10. I guess now I have to figure out what's weird about my local build that's actually capable of affecting WML events.
Dugi wrote:What OS and compiler are you using? I compiled it on Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, using make.
I'm on Windows Vista, using Code::Blocks.
Dugi wrote:
Also, the "cone" attack doesn't seem particularly cone-shaped to me - it seems like it would be more cone-like for it to hit the three hexes adjacent to the defender but not the attacker.
You must have looked at it incorrectly. It hits the primary target, two more units next to the attacker, and two more units next to the target. Also the unit behind the target.
Oh, ok - I thought it was just Cleave plus the tile behind the defender.
Last edited by Brilliand on December 7th, 2012, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
TheZ

Post by TheZ »

another bug I have found after updating to the current version
in episode 5 the "pirates" scenario, explosion style attacks does not explode work on the purple side or the green side, yet works on the blue side. I do nto know if this is intended or not. if it is intended then there should be some talking about why explosions don't work.

also Spiritual transformation for me is merged with the wave of fear attack on Efraim any way to fix this without going back to were it merged
Parleur

Post by Parleur »

I have the same problem as Dracostar.

But it's in chapter 7, with both Lethalia and Efraim and it's not bind to Incinerate. I don't know for regular units.

I'm using the version 2.4.1 (and Wesnoth 1.10.3, I reckon). I'm currently updating to 2.4.2 to see if it solve the problem, but it's a bit long with my tasmanian's bush connection (3 kb/sec). ^^
Naron

Post by Naron »

I have a problem with the scenario "Where the flames freeze" in Chapter VII. It is too small number of turns. In 35 turns, I can not come in time to dwarves, to help them and I lose.
I lost all my units fight corrupt elves and undeads.
There might increase the number of turns?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Brilliand I am not as good at using Windows (I use primarily Linux), I have no idea how to compile wesnoth on it, so I am quite unlikely to figure that thing out, I am relying on you to resolve this problem for those who have compiled 1.11.0 svn on Windows. Thanks for your interest, anyway.

@TheZ Enemy sides were wrongly configured for macro system, I will fix it.
The problem with Spiritual Transformation problem should be fixed some time after updating to LotI version 2.4.0 or 2.4.1, if you update and it will persist for longer than a few scenarios, write about it here.

@Parleur I think I have figured it out. The problem starts when you update to version 2.4.0 or 2.4.1 from an older version, and you continue from older save files. It will vanish in the following scenario. It affects all units with AMLA. Am I correct?

@Naron If you lost all your units, you should not continue, better reload older saves and try to play better, you have no chance to survive later scenarios. Chapters 7 and 8 are harder than previous scenarios, because of the philosophy that during the first 5 chapters you get used to the item and advancement system, in chapter 6 you create a starting army and then in the following chapters you have to combine the regular wesnoth's strategy and campaign-specific RPG features to create an army strong enough to survive. It can be completed, I was able to handle it (I was playing only on easy, I needed to get through it as fast as possible, just to test if all features worked, and additionally, I am relatively a good player), and I know it has been completed on all difficulties.
Anyway, I did increase the turn count in that scenario, I will upload it later. You can manually update that part doing this:
Spoiler:
figl569

Post by figl569 »

After advancement (no matter what advancement I choose) Efraim's wawe of fear, and both fury attack merge into one range-blade attack with abilities of all merged attacks. It also happen when I wield weapon. Wesnoth version 1.10.3. Attached save is just before advancement (one exp).

Second problem is, that Efraim lose abilitity to harvest souls by souleater ability, when he wielded claymore (no matter of used attack).

And last question is, would by possible to script, gaining exp (and souls), from unit killed by whirwind attack.
Attachments
LotI1-Darkness_Closing_In-Auto-Save9.gz
(676.02 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

After advancement (no matter what advancement I choose) Efraim's wawe of fear, and both fury attack merge into one range-blade attack with abilities of all merged attacks. It also happen when I wield weapon. Wesnoth version 1.10.3. Attached save is just before advancement (one exp).
Update to the latest version of LotI (2.4.1 or 2.4.0) and it will be okay after completing a scenario and then manipulating the inventory. If not, report it.
Second problem is, that Efraim lose abilitity to harvest souls by souleater ability, when he wielded claymore (no matter of used attack).
This is a bug, thanks for reporting it. Will be fixed in the next version.
And last question is, would by possible to script, gaining exp (and souls), from unit killed by whirwind attack.
Like exp from this attack, it was discussed in the past in this thread. It would be possible, basically because both whirlwind and soul eater were coded by me and can be edited at will, but it would make these attacks overpowered - you deal a lot of damage with this, it will help you win the scenario, but you will waste some experience and the experience-like thing that comes from soul eater.
Whirlwind used to give experience, but I was told to change it by multiple people.
lumpy1979

Post by lumpy1979 »

First off let me start by saying I love this campaign. But I am experiencing a problem. I just started chapter 8 and completed the first 3 scenarios but neither of my 2 heros show the redeem ability in their attack menu? Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That is very strange, when I started 8th chapter, from menu or by continuing from 7th chapter, redeem wasn't missing. It was not the last attack on the list, but it wasn't missing. Can you send me the save file with the problem?
lumpy1979

Post by lumpy1979 »

I am in the process of trying to figure out how to do that. Just as a side note I loaded it from the campaign menu and not continuing from the previous chapter abd it still didnt show up in my attack menu.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The save files is within a wesnoth folder around My Documents. When you find it, it will be in userdata/saves.
To upload it, hit Post Reply on the forums (not Quick Reply) and you should have a menu for uploading bellow.
lumpy1979

Post by lumpy1979 »

Here is the most recent save file
Attachments
LotI2-Search_for_Elves-Auto-Save1.gz
(317.3 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

They DO have redeem in the save file. Or they had it when I loaded it on Wesnoth 1.10.4 on Linux Ubuntu 12.10, installed via Debian. That's strange. Maybe you could attach a screenshot?

Maybe there was just no space on the side bar to show it, in that case nothing can be done. You'll see it in the choice of attacks when attacking.
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

I notice a line in my error log that says "retrieving member of non-existent WML container, advanced2.experience". On line 525 of global_events.cfg, there's a lone reference to advanced2 ("experience=$advanced2.experience") amid references to advanced3 - that may be why Efraim lost his excess experience when I was testing on the official distro.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz