Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

axds123

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by axds123 »

is chapter continuation of 6 and 7 or new campaign
U WOT M8
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

"Gods" (Chapter 2, scenario 2) played extremely oddly. The bandit just below my camp didn't recruit on turn 1 and I killed him on turn 2 with no dialogue. The witch surrendered as soon as I saw her (telling me where the monastery was), then I got her intro speech right *after* that, and she summoned a ton of friendly undead that did basically nothing. The town to the south asked for help with killing an elf or something, but I went into the forest to the south and two elves randomly spawned, but there weren't any other enemies down there. No dialogue with the Saurians. Upper-right corner of the map was blank.

The monastery part seemed to work right (they asked for help with trolls when I came into sight range). But I assume that was not how the rest was supposed to play out?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@jpaulson Bandits and saurians were not supposed to have any dialogue. But the rest of the code was supposed to work better, so I altered it to avoid the problems you encountered (still not uploaded).

@axds123 Chapters 6 and 7 are like a new campaign, the storyline is a continuation, but you cannot continue there with old units.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Dugi wrote:Saves from 1.10 don't always work on 1.11, but should work for LotI without problems, because its versions for 1.10 and 1.11 are identical.

About the life-sucking, I have used a badly working workaround for that, and because heal_unit works on most machines, I have decided to fix it only for leech and whirlwind with leech (because in the other cases, it isn't as grave, you can simply avoid it). Using 1.11.2 should fix it as well.

Anyway, recently, on 1.10.4, I started having that problem myself, but this time manifesting a bit differently, instead of taking about 70% of the unit's hp, it heals about a million hitpoints to it, making their hp reach values like 1378422/87, so I think I will use the workaround more widely.
I pulled 1.11 from svn and it works fine now.

There is an issue with Ephraim. When I chose fireballs it wasn't available. Later on I chose chill tempest and suddenly fireballs was available but not chill tempest. By choosing chill tempest, fury ist altered from 10-4 to 19-2. By the way, shouldn't fury be a melee attack? In my game it's a ranged attack.

There is another issue with the elvish seers. I have two of them and gave them the faerie sabre. After equiping them with a staff, the faerie sabre vanishes and the faerie fire is now called faerie sabre and does a lot more damage. Removing the staff, doesn't change things back to normal state. The same thing happens if I get a new ability.

The book of magical swordplay has no pic. What is the difference between this book and the fencer's study?

I crafted for Ephraim a sword "the essence of magic". There is a purple line saying it needs "Quintanscene" for getting magical resistance. What is it?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

By choosing chill tempest, fury ist altered from 10-4 to 19-2. By the way, shouldn't fury be a melee attack? In my game it's a ranged attack.
This error was already reported, I left there some debugging code at some point and forgot to remove it, making some variables persist so that I could debug it (debug mode is useless for anything more complex than skipping levels and healing units). I have fixed it, but not uploaded it yet for reasons described above.
When I chose fireballs it wasn't available.
Fireball appears to be correct, can you send me a save file please?
The book of magical swordplay has no pic.
You mean the book when it's on the ground or the advancements?
What is the difference between this book and the fencer's study?
It is similar, but the advancements are arranged differently.
I crafted for Ephraim a sword "the essence of magic". There is a purple line saying it needs "Quintanscene" for getting magical resistance. What is it?
Quintascence is a craftable item, I think it can be armour (or helm, or boots, or gloves, or shield if you cheat to make it become a shield).
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Dugi wrote:
When I chose fireballs it wasn't available.
Fireball appears to be correct, can you send me a save file please?
I add an save. Ephraim is at 57,29 and if you kill the dragon, he is levelling and you con choose chill tempest, to see how the fireballs suddenly appear. You find the two elvish seers with the strange faerie sabre as well. They are at 52,25 and 51,33.
The book of magical swordplay has no pic.
You mean the book when it's on the ground or the advancements?
On the ground.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

And here is the save file.
Attachments
LotI1-Chasing_Dragons_Runde_9-1.gz
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It was strange, looking at the list of advancements he took, he should have had fireball. When it appeared on the advancement list, it looked okay as well, but then I noticed that for unknown reasons he had no fireball attack. I can tell it is not related to the other problem that caused a lot of mess, something is removing that attack. I will have to study it more, I have never seen anything like that.
Naron

Post by Naron »

I solved the problem with Lilith's servants, and I managed to get to Chapter V. But here I have encountered another problem.
I can not beat Akula. Efraim (level 5) has 138 HP, Lethalia (level 5) has 145 HP and Akula (level 6) has 200 HP.
The problem is that Akula causes a large amount of damage, able to kill any of preserved liches.
It's the scenario "We walk in the shadows". What can I do?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It's the scenario "We walk in the shadows". What can I do?
Good that you specified the scenario, there was another fight with her later and I was initially speaking about that one. Anyway, I don't have many suggestions for you, I could beat her with the usual tricks like slow, or cold or fire damage she is vulnerable to, or using some healing potions. You might craft a couple of weapons 'Malice' to get backstab and use it with both characters, or slow her and make 'Widowmaker' to deal heavy damages to her.

If everything fails, I will make her easier (but you would have to use debug mode to get through her before I finish what I am doing anyway).
Naron

Post by Naron »

Dugi, thank you for your prompt response. I play your campaign on easy mode and I find it hard sometimes (this is not a criticism, I think I'm a bad player :augh: ).
I tried several times to beat Akula in several ways. But I have not succeeded so far.
Maybe the problem is because I have not been able to upgrade to the appropriate level on Ephraim or Lethalia?
These are skills that they have at the moment:

Efraim:

Code: Select all

25-7 Dragon Claw
 melee-blade
 leeches
 marksman
15-6 Dragon Claw
 melee-blade
 whirlwind
 magical
 leeches
11-3 Shadowalker's Knives
 ranged-cold
 poison
12-4 wave of fear
 ranged-cold
 magical
 horrid
17-2 chill wave
 ranged-cold
Lethalia:

Code: Select all

23-6 Virtue of Hope
 melee-arcane
 drains
 focused
18-6 axe
 melee-arcane
9-5 gossamer
 ranged-impact
 slows
 poison
15-8 faerie fire
 ranged-arcane
 magical
 swarm 
 cone
10-4 fireball
 ranged-fire
 magical
Maybe I'm not strong enough with these skills?

By the way, I want to thank you for your campaign, I like a lot. In fact, this is the only campaign that I play at the moment (I want to finish it).
axds123

Post by axds123 »

i meant is chapter 8 a continuation of 6 and 7
U WOT M8
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Well, you are not as bad with it, they both have pretty decent attacks. The problem is that you need something with fire or cold damage, and you don't have many attacks like that. You wasn't too lucky and focused on skills that are not effective against her, Wave of Fear or Fireball would have defeated her if they were developed (Wave of fear gains slow also). You don't seem to have items that can change damage type to fire or cold either, unfortunately.

This is the only thing I can think of: Move Efraim so that a lot of ghosts would be around him, and attack her with whirlwind (in order to heal a lot from leeching all the ghosts, and to prevent her from retaliating, crafing a Widowmaker might make it much more effective). Use Lethalia's gossamer to poison her and to slow her.

I will make her weaker, I didn't expect this to happen. I was making some more powerful items undroppable in first five chapters (the gameplay changes in chapter 5) recently, because it was often too easy, but some parts might have become problematically difficult now (I made a few parts easier, but I might have forgotten some). I would be glad if you told me where it was hard, the balance of Legend of the Invincibles is a constant problem.

If everything fails to defeat Akula, you can use debug mode (you are de facto debugging, no?), press the : button, write 'debug', hit Enter, press the : button again, click on Akula, type 'unit hitpoints=1', hit Enter and kill her.

And it is always a pleasure to read that somebody liked my campaign. :D

@axds23 Yes. You'll be unable to recall for two scenarios, but then everything you had in chapter 7 will be back and ready to fight the enemy hordes. I plan to make chapter 9 continue in the same way.
axds123

Post by axds123 »

I finally beat chapter 8 the gladiator scenarios rocked
U WOT M8
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have added two more scenarios now, you can continue a bit. Do you have any feedback regarding the balance of the completed part of chapter 8?

Btw, I plan to make a multiplayer version of the gladiators scenario, that would be more developed.