Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (chapter 6 is out)

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

dugi wrote:
I see. The AbilitiesWML wiki page seems to imply that this would be possible without such invisible filtered specials, but I'm not so sure it actually works quite as the wiki says ([adjacent_description] and such seems to be ignored).
[adjacent_description] would work only if it was an ability that a unit gives to adjacent units, it would have worked if it was healing, hiding, or affecting resistances, but weapon specials are rather a property of units that gain it, it's rather the weapon special that checks for the ability, the ability itself does nothing.
Ohh, right. It's easy to get these confused sometimes. Sorry.
dugi wrote:
Also with your elvish lord line, having it upgrade from fighter I do not think is a good idea. there is a level 1 version of that unit called Elvish Noble. You can find it in era of two suns. I basically had a weaker faerie fire then the elvish lord and a sword attack. Then the overlord could be the upgrade to the high lord, and the marshal could upgrade to an elvish general. I like your elvish juggernaut idea for the hero line as well.
When looking at the attributes of Elvish Lord and Elvish Hero, I see only that Lord is purely better than Hero (advances slower, though, but when fighting undead, this guy would be really important). So not allowing him to advance from Fighter is quite reasonable. But allowing the player to recruit Elvish Noble (whose sprite in that era is quite useless, as it looks like a shrunken Elvish Lord with GIMP, Adobe Potatochop or something) would be quite bad, as he would gain a unit that does huge damages to undead easily (that is unusual for elves), and also deal considerable melee damages (maybe high cost and XP needed to advance would do it). I think that it would be better if there was no Elvish Lord advancement path, like it is now.
Unless you can think of some level 1 version of it that doesn't have that problem while still being different enough from the fighter. (I can't think of anything, though.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Found a large issue with campaign 6, Lethalia's axe attack is named "battle axe", but the advancements for that unit are for "axe". As a result she cannot improve the axe. Not sure if the same problem existed with 1-5 since I never upgraded the axe (stuck with the staff).
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Unless you can think of some level 1 version of it that doesn't have that problem while still being different enough from the fighter. (I can't think of anything, though.)
Anything with sword and faerie fire would be too strong for a level 1 unit against undead (well, I don't mean things like 4-3 damage). Level 1 units that do a lot of damage to them are heavy infantrymen (for whom it is the only attack, and it is not arcane, just impact), Mages (absolutely weak melee attack, and the damage type is fire and not arcane, so not so strong) and Dark Adepts (no melee attack at all, you cannot recruit them in LotI yet anyway, and when it will be possible, you will not face undead). That's why I was thinking either about advancing him from Fighter, making him a recruitable unit when allowed to recruit level 2 units or about not allowing the player to get Elvish Lord at all.
Found a large issue with campaign 6, Lethalia's axe attack is named "battle axe", but the advancements for that unit are for "axe". As a result she cannot improve the axe. Not sure if the same problem existed with 1-5 since I never upgraded the axe (stuck with the staff).
I read the save files you sent me, so I know pretty much what you did. When you are starting from a later chapter, you gain items and advances based on your save files.
The bug appears only in the first two scenarios in chapter 6, and then disappears (the advancements will apply later anyway). Fixed it anyway.
Also while reading your saves, I have found a bug, allowing units to stack some item effects without occupying item slots. I fixed it, and I will not provide further details about this bug.

Regarding other stuff, I have tested it again, the teleport boots work properly. But it might require you to proceed into next scenario, and manipulate inventory of that unit then. Then the fix will apply.
I have replaced the outdated portrait of Lethalia by a WiP of the portrait by Crow_T, he is too busy to finish it, but it looks better than mine. I have worked a bit on parts that were too unfinished.
I have added Dark Shade, and made Nightgaunt advance to it instead of Reaper. Reaper's stats were slightly changed accordingly.
I have added wings to Faerie Incarnation, like you wanted.
Also a bug causing crafted items not to display the type of item they were crafted into in item storage was fixed (no more Defensive Stance (armourword) instead of properly displaying Defensive Stance (boots)).
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

Probably not the best place to ask, but I need hints for LOTI #1. I cannot figure out how to beat "Banished". If I try to fight straight on I get smoked. If I try to create a divergence and sneak around to assassinate the Orc leader the shear number of orcs and trolls render that impossible. What am I missing please?

If I need to move this to another forum, let me know which one.

Thank You.

Best Regards
Jim
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

minor issue
in "Shadow Empire" when you slay Zorox the second General says "...We are with you, Carcyn." when the name of your allie is Garcyn

@Jim just run with your leaders through the map and slay the orcish leader (dont forget to send to each of the elvish bases a swift unit)
try to avoid on your way the orcish/trollish guards
when Glub is slain just defend against ornage with troops and kill him and let the enemy leaders weak each other and slay them one after one
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

Konrad2, Thank you for the reply but I think we may be talking about 2 different scenarios. I will give your method a try though. The enemies name is Margund and there are no elvish bases other than the main town across the river and there are no elves in the scenario at all. As soon as I cross the river many orcs appear and you just can't sneak through them. But I will just try to run through and see if I can't get to the leader.

Thanks

Best Regards
Jim
Xavion

Post by Xavion »

I've just started playing this and it seems really good, the reason I'm posting is that I found a bug. I just found the Explosionlance, put it on a spearman and discovered that it seems to not count kills when getting xp and just treat it as a normal battle. I just used debug to add the extra xp but it was annoying as it was a good item.
Faerie_Storm

Post by Faerie_Storm »

dugi wrote:
Also with your elvish lord line, having it upgrade from fighter I do not think is a good idea. there is a level 1 version of that unit called Elvish Noble. You can find it in era of two suns. I basically had a weaker faerie fire then the elvish lord and a sword attack. Then the overlord could be the upgrade to the high lord, and the marshal could upgrade to an elvish general. I like your elvish juggernaut idea for the hero line as well.
When looking at the attributes of Elvish Lord and Elvish Hero, I see only that Lord is purely better than Hero (advances slower, though, but when fighting undead, this guy would be really important). So not allowing him to advance from Fighter is quite reasonable. But allowing the player to recruit Elvish Noble (whose sprite in that era is quite useless, as it looks like a shrunken Elvish Lord with GIMP, Adobe Potatochop or something) would be quite bad, as he would gain a unit that does huge damages to undead easily (that is unusual for elves), and also deal considerable melee damages (maybe high cost and XP needed to advance would do it). I think that it would be better if there was no Elvish Lord advancement path, like it is now.
I actually modified and animated this sprite for use in the Default Plus era Celtic Minstrel and I are working on. It's been posted in the art workshop if you want to have a look.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

@Jim awww sry Jim iu spoke rly about the next-next-next scenario :D
just collect villages before you cross the river (with efraim as first of course) and then it is a normal battle between your army and his

minor issue: the item "Tormentor of Light" says that it sets the attack type on chaotic and let the unit radiate darkness
i tried it on 2 Heavy Infantrymans
the one with trait "fearless" had always 0% bonus on attack damage and the one without the trait had always -25% bonus damage because he is lawful
shouldnt it functionate on lawful troops or is it supposed that i give it to a neutral or chaotic unit to make it work?

minor issue: in the unit description of preserved lich (Efraim and Lethalia) in the gameplay notes about the soul eater ability: "...advancements (new attacks, regenaration,..."
i guess it means regeneration
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

minor issue: the item "Tormentor of Light" says that it sets the attack type on chaotic and let the unit radiate darkness
i tried it on 2 Heavy Infantrymans
the one with trait "fearless" had always 0% bonus on attack damage and the one without the trait had always -25% bonus damage because he is lawful
shouldnt it functionate on lawful troops or is it supposed that i give it to a neutral or chaotic unit to make it work?
Weapon special chaotic works like if it was a secondary alignment. It does not display when you look at the unit, but it does in the choose attack window. If equipped on a chaotic unit, it becomes super strong at night and very weak during the day. If equipped on a neutral unit, its damages become like if the unit was chaotic (with that attack). If equipped on a lawful unit, it is slightly better during the day (+7% damage), and slightly worse during the night (-6% damage). If the unit is fearless, it affects the alignment, but not this, therefore a fearless Heavy Infantryman is with it slightly better during the day (+7% damage), and much better during the night (+25% damage). If it radiates darkness as well, it obviously should't be equipped on a lawful unit that is not fearless. This item was supposed to be used by the Thug advancement line. But Iron Mauler can advance into Blackguard, that is chaotic too. Properties of this weapon special will not stack with charge, backstab, and similar things.
I actually modified and animated this sprite for use in the Default Plus era Celtic Minstrel and I are working on. It's been posted in the art workshop if you want to have a look
I have looked at this guy, and I have already written that IMO, he looks like a shrunk and fuzzy Elvish Lord. Anyway, the sprite is not the primary problem, his stats are rather a problem, as he would not fit too much into the game, like a described above.
I've just started playing this and it seems really good, the reason I'm posting is that I found a bug. I just found the Explosionlance, put it on a spearman and discovered that it seems to not count kills when getting xp and just treat it as a normal battle. I just used debug to add the extra xp but it was annoying as it was a good item.
Whoops, I will fix it. As far as I remember, I really forgot to make it give exp for kills. Maybe I didn't know how to do it back then.
@Jim just run with your leaders through the map and slay the orcish leader (dont forget to send to each of the elvish bases a swift unit)
try to avoid on your way the orcish/trollish guards
when Glub is slain just defend against ornage with troops and kill him and let the enemy leaders weak each other and slay them one after one
I used to pass this scenario by building a wall of elves at the corner of the river, and fight the orcs with 70% defence while they have 20% defense. After defeating the main clump, I just attack the rest. The river should be visible enough to make you think about this.

By the way, I will port LotI to wesnoth 1.8 soon, all I need is to debug something (some code of 1.10 that was not in 1.8, and cannot be ported). Chapters 4,5,6 may be unstable, but chapters 1,2,3 will get a huge improvement.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

lol now we spoke about !3! different scenarios xD
Jim meant "Banished" that one right after "Assassination" i thought he meant (dont know why) "Lost Empires" and you now mean "Shatter the Defielers" right?

big issue: could it be that storing items just work with potions?
i recently tried to store a axe cos i had no unit to use it and when i looked up if it is in the item storage there where just my potions

minor issue: in first scenario, second chapter umbra says to Efraim: "I thought you are just a masked elf. I couldn´t see your ears and hairs"
but the sprite and the portrait clearly show both of it

minor issue: is it supposed that Umbra get 1200 gold when you advance from the first chapter to the second chapter?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

lol now we spoke about !3! different scenarios xD
Jim meant "Banished" that one right after "Assassination" i thought he meant (dont know why) "Lost Empires" and you now mean "Shatter the Defielers" right?
Hm, yes. :)
big issue: could it be that storing items just work with potions?
i recently tried to store a axe cos i had no unit to use it and when i looked up if it is in the item storage there where just my potions
The storage works with all items, but after the second turn, only potions can be unstored. It is written there (I think). It is designed to prevent exploits (a group of soldiers defeats an enemy, far from another enemy that is fought by other soldiers, so you move their items on the soldiers who are still fighting).
minor issue: in first scenario, second chapter umbra says to Efraim: "I thought you are just a masked elf. I couldn´t see your ears and hairs"
but the sprite and the portrait clearly show both of it
Outdated stuff. I will fix it.
minor issue: is it supposed that Umbra get 1200 gold when you advance from the first chapter to the second chapter?
If you have the old recall list, the enemy is stronger. Also, if you are not continuing, units will advance faster and you will get more stuff.

EDIT: Version 2.2.7 is out. Shadowalker was added some advancements, minor errors mentioned above were fixed, fixed also one bug that nobody reported (while searching for old stuff through the files), and made units with items get a GEARED trait so that they would be visible in the recall list.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

thx a lot i had to rename them with a number before a the name to find them :)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have published LotI on the 1.8 add-on server. For those still playing on 1.8, it should be a massive jump in the quality of add-on. Aside for a few graphic details (some formatting was not allowed on 1.8, terrain was significantly different), it should work perfectly. Thanks to glorious Notepad++, I was able to convert maps for 1.10 to maps for 1.8.
The version there should be almost identical to the 2.2.7 version on the 1.10 server. I will not update it, probably, as I think that only a few people still play wesnoth 1.8.
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

Konrad2 wrote:@Jim awww sry Jim iu spoke rly about the next-next-next scenario :D
just collect villages before you cross the river (with efraim as first of course) and then it is a normal battle between your army and his
Thanks Konrad2 I used your advice and recruited 3 fast/cheap units to grab all of the villages and marched efraim south. I am almost finished the game now - this is a great game by the way - and have not run into other difficulties .... yet.

Best Regards
Jim