Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Elvish Nightprowler
15%
Elvish Overlord
6%
Elvish Seer
14%
Elvish Warlord
4%
Exterminator
11%
Forester
3%
Goblin Ravager
No votes
Goblin Warbanner
No votes
Grim Knight
No votes
Faerie Incarnation
14%
Infernal Knight
4%
Lich King
5%
Lunatic Knight
9%
Monstrosity
No votes
Orcish Nightblade
No votes
Orcish Strafer
3%
Pilum Master
3%
Orcish Warmonger
3%
Phantom
3%
Predator
3%

Total votes: 115

Solaara

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Solaara »

Sorry if I'm doing anything wrong, but I just used debug to test some unit AMLAs, found some bugs.
Spoiler:
That's all I found after downloading your alpha 15 mins ago, gonna play awhile and see if I find anything else for you.

Some thoughts about the unit advancement discussion, I too felt disappointed when I saw that the Elven Sharpshooter advanced into Gryphon Rider, as archer units are one of my favorite types of unit. But I do like some of the convergent advancements, perhaps you could make a line that for example lets you level a Ghost up to Spectre, then as one of the advancements, lets the Spectre become a level 3 Ghost, then a level 3 Shadow, a level 3 Nightgaunt, then finally a Reaper, maybe that would explain the combined powers.

I'll try and think about something for the Sharpshooter while playing the alpha.

-Edit-
Found an item bug, seems whenever I put an item into storage, an image of that item appears on the ground, as if I left it on the ground. But the item was inside the storage, just the image of it was on the ground.
Efraim also can't level past level 1, he just turns back to level 1 whenever I level him up to level 2.

Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

The awakening should somehow be changed so it's harder to just milk it for experience. It begins quite difficult, but then as you gradually level up it becomes easier and easier.

And a small mistake(I'm going through again to find the others):
I have no idea where can he be
should be: " I have no idea where he could be".
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Having played the campaign I have to say I dislike the converging lines. After levelling one sharpshooter to a gryphon rider, I was rather disappointed that he became mounted and his ranged attack did not improve, but he got a improvement on his melee attack instead. For an outrider it is also a very huge jump on the damage output. For the sharpshooter, the ranged damage did not increase. If the sharpshooter upgraded to maybe a master sharpshooter instead, that would improve this line. Also I remember levelling up a mage to a silver mage and not getting teleport until the first AMLA. I can post some more ideas as i think of them.
You can improve his ranged attack with the first AMLA (and I can increase their base ranged damage, maybe I just set the stats badly). Anyway, this is a temporary solution, before I imagine something better. Master sharpshooter would be too boring if he was just a taller guy, if you had a better idea... I was thinking about Elvish Assassin (that kind of assassin that kills with arrows from distance, not like the human or orcish one), with poisonous arrows, and maybe a relatively useless melee backstab. The silver mage without teleport was an absurd thing I imagined some time before and in the latest testing version, he has teleport back (by the way, Silver Mages that didn't originate from chapter 3 were getting teleport).

And about the alpha, thanks for the feedback, I will fix it.
perhaps you could make a line that for example lets you level a Ghost up to Spectre, then as one of the advancements, lets the Spectre become a level 3 Ghost, then a level 3 Shadow, a level 3 Nightgaunt, then finally a Reaper, maybe that would explain the combined powers.
Can you please explain this better? I cannot understand it. Level 3 Ghost, level 3 shadow... no idea what you meant.

arobinson

Post by arobinson »

For the sharpshooter, what about a % chance of critical damage with the bow (2x damage activated by chance on hit)?
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:

Solaara

Post by Solaara »

Can you please explain this better? I cannot understand it. Level 3 Ghost, level 3 shadow... no idea what you meant.
Just that in order to get a Reaper with the powers of both Spectre and Nightgaunt, you would need to level the ghost up to both Spectre and Nightgaunt in order to make it a Reaper.

As for the Sharpshooter, maybe one of final AMLAs of the last advancement could give it the ability to have something like quick strike, or the ability to attack twice, or maybe learn some dark magic or light magic and shoot arcane/draining arrows.

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Solaara wrote:
Just that in order to get a Reaper with the powers of both Spectre and Nightgaunt, you would need to level the ghost up to both Spectre and Nightgaunt in order to make it a Reaper.
I don't really think this is a good idea...
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Maintainer of Steelhive.

DuckyWucky2

Post by DuckyWucky2 »

Part 6 PLEASE COME SOONER! xD <3<3<3<3

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Solaara wrote: Just that in order to get a Reaper with the powers of both Spectre and Nightgaunt, you would need to level the ghost up to both Spectre and Nightgaunt in order to make it a Reaper.
Wait, wait, you mean a D&D style level-up system where a ghost can gain levels as shadow and also as wraith, and its type is determined according to the number of levels spent to these classes? I don't mean that I cannot do it, but I don't think I want and I also think other would not like it. I think that I might replace Reaper's claw attack's backstab with something with a chance to disintegrate enemies, but low damage, and make some kind of shapeless cloud of smoke with claws as advancement to nightgaunt, with backstab and a weak draining ranged attack. And maybe allow both nightgaunt and spectre advance to both of those. Or make spectre advance into some kind of reaper with stronger baneblade and nightgaunt into one with nightstalk and better claw backstab attack. The choice is yours, ready for discussion :)
Solaara wrote: As for the Sharpshooter, maybe one of final AMLAs of the last advancement could give it the ability to have something like quick strike, or the ability to attack twice, or maybe learn some dark magic or light magic and shoot arcane/draining arrows.
I was thinking about giving him an attack that has only one attack (I mean, damage like 50-1, damage would be calculated as 70 percent of the damage multiplied by the number of attacks, so something like 10-10 would become 70-1). There is an item that grants that ability in the latest version.
arobinson wrote: For the sharpshooter, what about a % chance of critical damage with the bow (2x damage activated by chance on hit)?
There is no way to make the damage calculations take this into consideration. I would prefer to avoid critical attacks.
DuckyWucky2 wrote:Part 6 PLEASE COME SOONER! xD <3<3<3<3
That is my highest priority at the moment. I have 6 7 scenarios written at the moment (I have not started long ago, I have done massive changes to the interface), I might finish it in two weeks.

Solaara

Post by Solaara »

Hehe, sure, just throwing out suggestions. Can't wait for chapter 6 as well.
dugi wrote: I was thinking about giving him an attack that has only one attack (I mean, damage like 50-1, damage would be calculated as 70 percent of the damage multiplied by the number of attacks, so something like 10-10 would become 70-1). There is an item that grants that ability in the latest version.
Sounds good!

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Solaara, you said you have found a bug that the image of stored items did not vanish from the ground. I was unable to replicate this problem, when I picked something up into the storage, everything happened correctly, can you please describe me in a detailed way how it happened?
How is the alpha test going?

Regarding progress, I have written 8 out of 12 or 13 scenarios so far. Compared to the alpha, I have only added one new unit, Blackguard (advancement of Highwayman and optionally also of Iron Mauler), fixed the advancement bugs and fixed the bug disallowing unit variations (preventing Efraim from advancing at the beginning). I don't plan to do any more changes of this kind, in order to speed up the release of chapter 6.

Solaara

Post by Solaara »

Regarding the item image bug, what happened was, I equipped an item, a fire sword for example, it equipped normally, nothing happened. But when I unequipped it and stored it into storage, the sword went into storage, but an image of the sword also appeared on the ground.

As for the alpha, I've been busy this weekend so couldn't test it much, was also hoping you would release another version with Efraim's leveling fixed so I could test it better, kinda hard to play when the leader's unable to level :lol2:

Regarding the Sharpshooter's advancement, I just remembered recently about another campaign I played awhile back, Fate of a Princess. There was this cannon that had the ability to attack an enemy three hexes away, by right clicking on the enemy and selecting an option to shoot at it long ranged, perhaps the Sharpshooter's advancement, due to incredible archery skill, is able to shoot at enemies two hexes away? Though this attack would probably have to be weaker or has less attacks, so as not to make it too overpowered :lol2:

Faerie_Storm

Post by Faerie_Storm »

dugi wrote:
Having played the campaign I have to say I dislike the converging lines. After levelling one sharpshooter to a gryphon rider, I was rather disappointed that he became mounted and his ranged attack did not improve, but he got a improvement on his melee attack instead. For an outrider it is also a very huge jump on the damage output. For the sharpshooter, the ranged damage did not increase. If the sharpshooter upgraded to maybe a master sharpshooter instead, that would improve this line. Also I remember levelling up a mage to a silver mage and not getting teleport until the first AMLA. I can post some more ideas as i think of them.
You can improve his ranged attack with the first AMLA (and I can increase their base ranged damage, maybe I just set the stats badly).
Should be in the base damage for the ranged attack. I greater melee attack when I had a ranged unit was a let down even though the first AMLA I could improve the ranged damage.
dugi wrote:Anyway, this is a temporary solution, before I imagine something better. Master sharpshooter would be too boring if he was just a taller guy, if you had a better idea... I was thinking about Elvish Assassin (that kind of assassin that kills with arrows from distance, not like the human or orcish one), with poisonous arrows, and maybe a relatively useless melee backstab.
Elvish Assassin? That makes less sense then an elvish gryphon rider. Also elves using poisoned arrows doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. Perhaps and Elvish Deadeye or something that has an even higher minimum chance to hit (I've seen it is some era and it was called precision)
dugi wrote:The silver mage without teleport was an absurd thing I imagined some time before and in the latest testing version, he has teleport back (by the way, Silver Mages that didn't originate from chapter 3 were getting teleport).

And about the alpha, thanks for the feedback, I will fix it.
Ok, well that's good.

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'll point out that the name "Elvish Assassin" seems reasonable, but I don't think it should be a poison unit. I'd think of some other way of making it assassin-like; not sure what though. Backstab on the melee attack? At least 50% chance to hit in defense using the ranged attack? Double damage when shooting at a unit at full health? I dunno really.
Maintainer of Steelhive.

Heindal

Post by Heindal »

As an idea for the elvish assassin. You could get him charge additionally with backstab. This will greatly increase its damage but makes him more vulnerable.

I just played the first part so far and it comes up with some nice ideas, but unfortunately one has to grind a lot of these ressources and weaponary - instead of ending a level quickly. If you ever need icons or something you know where you can find them dugi. I will report back later when I finished the other parts.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Heindal wrote:You could get him charge additionally with backstab.
I dunno, having two damage-doubling specials on one weapon seems like a bit much. Furthermore, charge doesn't make any sense for an assassin.

Another idea — maybe they could get firststrike on the bow? Though firststrike is generally intended for pole weapons, so you'd need new fluff (ie you can't use {SPECIAL_NOTES_FIRSTSTRIKE}).
Maintainer of Steelhive.