Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

tribes45

Re: Legend of the Invincibles feedback

Post by tribes45 »

On the third campaign, loving it so far.
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@tribes45 Glad you liked it. Sorry I did not notice your reply sooner.
Evander wrote:I encountered a bug here.
in part 3 where I have Delly and others, when I pickup an item, and then try to see what items I have, they are automatically dropped on the ground and I can't pick them up again.

I am losing a bonus and an item.

it seems like having more items can overcome this, or it is the items from previous campaigns hat work ok.

edit:
it appears that this is caused by that ring that reduces the amount of experience a unit needs to level up.
The ring was added there ages ago (when it was the only item in the campaign), and it is completely different from other items appearing in the game. It can possibly cause various clashes. I will have a look at it. The Staff of Aimucasur is also a weird item, I will check it out too. Staff of Aimucasur was a staff equippable by any unit (one of a kind), so it was droppable like a staff, but not repickable like potions or books. Ring of Wisdom was completely incompatible with the item system. It will be now equippable by any unit, and it will take the ring slot properly, as it is a normal item that cannot drop now (and it only in that well). It now lowers the experience required for advancing by 30% instead of 50% like it was before. Both changes will be uploaded with the next release.
Last edited by Dugi on May 1st, 2012, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evander

Post by Evander »

I think the problem is that these items are not in the items.cfg and are not supported by view/drop items command.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I said something like that. It is fixed on my machine, just not uploaded yet. But even if I updated it right now, it would not fix the problem retrospectively.

The reason why I have not uploaded it is that I am in the middle of writing chapter 5, uploading it now would be a huge spoiling, so I would update it only if there was a fatal bug or an immense exploit.

Chapter 5. update:
Spoiler:
francophone

Post by francophone »

I finished part one. I love the idea. For scenarii I do not read too much (too much difficulty with the English to spend my time decoding). but I like the beginning of the dialogue of the last scenario of part 1 : "Efraim? You ar alive? - No. I am dead."

In scenario "Long Way Home" I get the message "empty side = is deprecated, use side = 1"

For the evolution of the heroes it seems that we can increase speed indefinitely. Because they are fast and mobile units already, I would suggest to allow this choice to evolution once.
For choice, I find that there are sometimes too many. Mostly too many different attacks per unit.
What I find annoying (but how to prevent it?) Is that you can not quickly see what has what unit.

Ah yes! One more thing. When Efraim becomes a lych can be recruited Efraim living unit.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The deprecated side log is a leftover from older version, I will fix it. It has no effect on the game except the minor nuisance that it is on your screen until you reload a save game.

The speed cannot be increased indefinitely, there is a limit of 4 speed upgrades, I think. But I might lower it, of course. Or make them increase the experience needed to advance more significantly. Choice is yours.

It is true that it is sometime hard to find what attack the unit will has, especially that with more advancements you cannot even see a half of the attacks. You can see them only when attacking. But the versatility of the attack list is important for the gameplay, so I do not think that it would be good to limit the list of them. And there are not many units with so many attacks (2 in most of the game, 3 in chapter 3) I might learn to use lua later and do something with it.

And with that lich problem... on which version did that happen? I was trying to fix that problem earlier, and I think it was fixed (see the changelog at the beginning of this topic).
francophone

Post by francophone »

dugi wrote:And there are not many units with so many attacks (2 in most of the game, 3 in chapter 3) I might learn to use lua later and do something with it.

And with that lich problem... on which version did that happen? I was trying to fix that problem earlier, and I think it was fixed (see the changelog at the beginning of this topic).
"2 in most of the game" So, 3 with the 2 Erfraim :P
It si 2.0.5 version (played on 1.10)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

2.0.5 is quite an old version. 2.0.13 is the latest. Items were greatly unbalanced there. Updating the add-on should be quite useful to you. That deprecated side was probably fixed as well.
lynx

Post by lynx »

quick tip on how to track unit upgrades: rename them appropriately.
Crosaith

Post by Crosaith »

Pretty cool game! Gotta say.. it's nice having a strong character. ^^

Just finished the first chapter. Only issues I have with the game are that the story can be confusing at times, if you could add more story/details it'd be cool. It was a little weird hearing Efraim call someone "evil" when he goes around killing tons of ppl/creatures and draining thier souls.. Also, a little more fluff to the whole relationship thing that's goin on would help. Lolz kinda hard to tell anythin is goin on. btw maybe it's just me.. but Efraim 2nd version seems weaker than the first one, even when he's leveled up. Maybe this'll change later on? ^^
On the other hand.. The gameplay and lvl up system are awesome! And there are some interesting parts of the story that make you wonder... *After girlys transformation* Wonder if anything will come of that? :roll:

Overall, one of the best Westnoth campaigns I've played. Keep it up! ^^
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am glad you liked it.

Adding more story details - I don't know, I think that there is enough chatting, can you please specify what further information do you wanna see there?
The good guy draining soul weird thing - it is explained later.
Efraim 2nd version might be weaker at the start, but the reasons are that he lost his weapons on the process (I will fix this later), also, he has some advantages like un-life (immune to drain/poison), feeding (will be allowed to feed also on undead after an update), resistances, and whirlwind - and this should counter the decreased damage - and with more advancements, he will get stronger.
The relationship between the two remain unexplained even in chapter 5 I am writing (but there is be a minor hint), but I plan to explain it later.

@lynx I was thinking about your post, but I am still unsure what you wanted. By renaming them appropriately, you probably meant an explanation of the exact effects of advancements. Am I right?
lynx

Post by lynx »

that was a tip for players — you'd have problems automating this nicely, since multiple items can be worn by units and the name length limit is small.

For example, to have an easier time recognizing a unit with the book of ballads (? the one with +33% to allies), I renamed him to Gwyn the Bard.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Ah, great idea.

And I think that doing something with unit overlays later might solve these issues partially.

Update at Wednesday 13:46 GMT+1 - 1 scenario+epilogue to do, might be finished even today!
Last edited by Dugi on May 2nd, 2012, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Done and uploaded.

Chapter 5 begins in the style of chapter 4, but then it gets its own style. It has 29 scenarios, but doing them all is not necessary. Some of them are secret.
It is not fully completed, I think I will add some side-quests to it in the next updates.

I have also done a lot of changes to the general interface, for example explosive attacks work a bit differently, if the damage is extremely high, the range can increase, whirlwind is now fully affected by weapons equipped, and even the advancements were altered (if you are continuing old saves, you might get a bit overpowered), also you will need to level up in order to have all the abilities working properly.

Here is the whole change list:
Spoiler:
lynx

Post by lynx »

nice! I can't test currently, but I'm sure many others will try it.

What do you mean with whirlwind not being counterable? The defender won't fight back?