New campaign: Attack on Elves (1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zepko

New campaign: Attack on Elves (1.8)

Post by zepko »

This is the story of a group of elves attacked by undeads. The story then develops in a more complex and (I hope) interesting way.
The campaign is not finished but I intend to add only 1 or 2 more scenarios.
The 3 difficulty levels are the same right now.
Feedback is welcome especially about difficulty and bugs (I didn't find any), but I appreciate every comment.
Thanks
Last edited by zepko on July 31st, 2011, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kapoue_II

Re: New campaign: Attack on Elves

Post by Kapoue_II »

Well I haven't even played the campaign yet, but I have already spotted one error.
If you put version 1.0 as the version number it means the add on is complete even if not balanced. In a campaign This means all the scenarios are present. To late to change it now, but for future read pbl wml on the wiki the whole way through :doh: .

EDIT: Error messages/ bugs/ feedback edit. Will be updated until another post is made/as I play.
The NPC in scenario one is called Cleoril. Do you mean Cleodil, the famous elf druid from several different campaigns? If not, I suggest changing the name to avoid confusion.
I think that having the player start in an isolated keep sorounded by more keeps is "not good". I suggest you change the other keep tiles to be plain castle.

It also seems stupid that the human leader dying doesn't make you lose. Maybe give him a bit more gold, but make his death a losing condition.

EDIT 2: IT appears that the other two NPC's also have almost-recognisable names (Lanar, not Landar, and Alinde, not Anlinde. This looks like its deliberate ...... but I don't like it. I think a new set of names entirely is called for, but thats just my opinion. But taking famous names and changing a single letter is just..... cheesey.
macherb

Post by macherb »

Hi,

I have played the campaign till labyrinth-scenario. I like the campaign - but in the labyrinth I see a problem.

Loren should explore the map. There are 80 turns available, more than 40 are needed for shortest way and there are 11 monsters, defeating takes in average approximately 1.5 turns, hence there remain about 20 turns for trial and error and this is in my opinion not enough.
A strategy could be to start over again and again and draw a map of the labyrinth - for me that is boring (In fact, I changed shroud and fog to "no" in the scenario script. And knowing the way, it was difficult to find the right path again when I switched on shroud and fog, removing the shroud-filter (lines 159-176).
The scenario objectives say "Hint: look for the light". I could not find lights on my way to the exit.

My suggestions:
a) remove the shroud filter. As story Loren could draw her own map which is represented by removed shroud at already explored areas. This needs (a lot) more turns or perhaps no turn limit.
b) place torches at the right way. place them more tiles apart than Loren moves in one turn, so that it is not possible to run from torch to torch but on the other hand Loren gets hints, that she on the right way.
c) let Loren "teleport" back to special branching points (to avoid the [boring] way back and save turns)
d) let monsters spawn close to 44,15 so that Loren can trace back to the source of monsters (perhaps add a comment in the dialogue-scenario: "The exit is infested with monsters....")

Or did I miss something, which gives some clues for the right way out?
I cheated and are playing on the next scenario.

Best regards and good luck for more scenarios :)
Herbert
zepko

Post by zepko »

Hi, sorry for the really long delay.

@Kapoue_II:
If you put version 1.0 as the version number it means the add on is complete even if not balanced.
This was fixed, sorry, my fault.
You complained about names: yes, I spent some time looking for original names for my characters but I lacked fantasy, so I put those names as a temporary solution. I didn't like it but I wanted to go on with the campaign. Now I have changed them.
It also seems stupid that the human leader dying doesn't make you lose. Maybe give him a bit more gold, but make his death a losing condition.
I thought I had already done this, but it was on my pc, not on server. Done.

@macherb:
That scenario is supposed to be somewhat "tricky", but trying it as a player I see it could become frustrating... I'll consider adding some spots with light to show you are on the right path, but I don't want to give too many turns, otherwise it would become too easy. I'll think about that.

Thanks to both for your answers.

What I'm interested to know is especially difficulty of the campaign. Is it too easy? Too difficult?
Arawn

Re: New campaign: Attack on Elves (1.8)

Post by Arawn »

Hey,

The campaign is awesome. Love it. Just the smallest things:

you misspelled "ran" on the intro of the dwarvish city level (the story of the scenario right after the winter orcs vs dwarves one). It should be "ran" instead of "runned." Similarly, it should be "none" instead of "noone"

I wish I had more to say... but it seems like you've already debugged it rather well.
zepko

Post by zepko »

Hey, thanks for playing and commenting.
I'm glad you like it so far, but you still have to play more complicated scenarios. You'll see...
And thanks for pointing out some grammar/spelling mistakes. Being English not my native language, there could be some of them.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Note that I see that much of my content (my elemental graphics and definitions) was used from my rise of the elemental campaign to make this campaign. Would you please consider giving me credit in your campaign using [about] tags? I would appreciate the acknowledgement, thank you.
Last edited by arobinson on September 4th, 2011, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Bruner

Post by Bruner »

Hi! I'm like the campain, but is too difficult to pass the underground labyrint. I stil trying...

hug