1.9 SP Campaign - Sweet Revenge

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bigkahuna

Re: 1.9 SP Campaign - Sweet Revenge

Post by bigkahuna »

Earlier responses
Spoiler:
Sweet Revenge is back on the add-ons server! I spent a hectic while trying to fix it, too. The campaign download size was cut by 5 times, so it is a LOT faster to download now! Note that we are back to 0 downloads, so PLEASE don't get put off by the fact that no-one has downloaded it yet :lol2:
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
shalky

Post by shalky »

Well I already downloaded it :)

I found first scenario much more fun than it used to be.
In the second there is a bug (I think), when rehoran defends he disappear.
In the third one I found my allies useless. Blue was not moving his forces at all and green was only gathering his troops and he never really attacked anyone.
In the fourth there is a bug when you blow up the bridges and boss appear :

Attempt to index local 'team' (a nil value)

And Atheroth is unable to move (moves 0/0)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

shalky wrote:In the second there is a bug (I think), when rehoran defends he disappear.
Could you post a replay? I cannot reproduce that and it IS a bug.
shalky wrote:And Atheroth is unable to move (moves 0/0)
That is to make him a "guardian" unit on your side. You'll need him later if you're on the wrong side of the bridges when the enemies start coming.

I also made the sixth scenario a LOT easier. The other bugs you mentioned were also fixed.

0.2.7 is out, with all the above changes plus some more bugfixes.
Join the new R2D forum!
shalky

Post by shalky »

This should be the right file

Edit: Are you sure you have included defending lumberjack into the download pack?
Attachments
SR-First_Blood_záznam.gz
replay
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

shalky wrote:Edit: Are you sure you have included defending lumberjack into the download pack?
Oooh I see what you mean. I thought you meant he literally dissapears from the scenario. I'll add the image change the WML so that he defends correctly. I'm a terrible artist and can't make animation frames for him :lol2:

EDIT: uploaded, with more bugfixes :doh:
Join the new R2D forum!
shalky

Post by shalky »

Bugs are fixed although I believe you made new one.
In fourth scenario when you try to create bridge after there are destroyed game crush.
It declare an error: missing global variable

Also you should do something to re balance the third scenario.
The green is so slow he barely join the fight before blue forces are destroyed
Also catapult killed Grimli
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

shalky wrote:The green is so slow he barely join the fight before blue forces are destroyed
That's the point. They come at the perfect time (when you are getting beaten back) to hold your lines.
All the other bugs were fixed.
Thanks for all your bug reports! They've been really helpful.

EDIT: 0.3.1 has been released, with a few gamebreaking errors that I missed :augh: Redownload to get it to work.
Join the new R2D forum!
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

This is awesome! I have tried scenario three about 4 times now and no dice yet, but I am still optimistic. I love the cannon thing (although at the moment they are turned against me)- really cool. I am also curious about why the scenarios are arranged the way they are... I mean, the plot is intriguing. Great work so far! The drunken dwarf supplies a lot of dramatic tension.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Matherton wrote:This is awesome!
Glad you like it :D
Matherton wrote:I have tried scenario three about 4 times now and no dice yet, but I am still optimistic.
I am still trying to balance the scenarios. It shouldn't be too hard to finish. Answering these questions about the scenario would really help, as this scenario has been complained about more than once.

What part of the scenario is too hard?
Is the gold not fairly distributed?
What difficulty level are you playing on?
What skill level are you (competitive, novice, expert, etc).
Matherton wrote:I am also curious about why the scenarios are arranged the way they are.
I was trying to start the scenario off with a bang (literally) and then go for the a bit boring introduction scenarios, have another bang (again literally), and you'll see what happens after that.
Matherton wrote:I mean, the plot is intriguing.
That was another major point of the scenario distribution. I wanted the story from all angles.
Matherton wrote:The drunken dwarf supplies a lot of dramatic tension.
:lol2:
Join the new R2D forum!
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

I will try to answer your questions, though I am not sure I can do them justice...

-I find that, by the time the dwarf even gets close to the keep, I have almost no troops and negative gold. I have tried several different approaches for this scenario, and none of these have worked... yet... but I am not precisely complaining about this. I have tried sending the troops who start on the central island at the catapults in a suicidal attempt to get rid of at least one (they have all perished without taking out a catapult). I have tried extracting the extractable troops (they didn't last long). I have tried spreading out my troops, I have tried clogging the central former bridge ford thing with troops to make it tough for the enemy to get off the island... and, of course, grouping the troops together makes catapults happy. I have tried sending fast troops around to the back of the island, to divert the flow of troops away from the keeps... the enemy seems to have enough troops to kill my troops and to make things hot around the keeps, no sweat. My one thought is that maybe my side's troops are overpriced? The Keeper seems like a spearman with more hitpoints, and yet it is double the cost of a Spearman. Maybe some level 1 troops would help; having more units on the map might make all the difference.

-The gold... I am not sure.

-I always play on easy.

-My answer above may answer your question. I am not at all sure. How do you establish how good you are? I have only played multiplayer once, and I got fairly thoroughly screamed at by my teammate.... but then again, I'd never played multiplayer anything before, and I may not have known how to go about it. I believe someone somewhere on these forums observed that girls don't generally play multiplayer... I hate to fall into any gender stereotype, but I am a girl (woman) and I don't play multiplayer. Is that the way one generally assesses one's prowess? I have (on easy) beaten several of the expert campaigns, like Under the Burning Suns... so I have no clue.

Anyway, this has been an awfully chatty response, and I apologize if it is too much so. I really do like the campaign!
shalky

Post by shalky »

I have to agree that third scenario is to hard. In the beginning I played on medium, but now I had to try several times on easy before I finally managed to beat it
The only way I found possible to beat it is to destroy catapult on the left side and to kill dwarf leader as soon as possible.
I you fail to do that there is just no way to beat it.

Good idea would be that catapults need mages to operate them. This way there would be real chance to prevent catapults from fire.
One other thing I found hard to do is to keep blue ally alive. When he runs out of money he is simply to much of a target.
Consider switch his keep with the keep of the green player.

In the fourth scenario wouldn't it be better to make Atheod someone you can not lose instead of making him impossible to move.
Because when I was attacking dwarf outpost (scenario 6) one dwarf managed to bypass my forces and Atheod was simply killed.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

shalky wrote:I have to agree that third scenario is to hard.
Yeah, sorry. I'll fix that. I'll move the leader keeps like you suggested, make side 1 recruit level 1s and side 2 recruit level 2s, make the mages tied to their catapults (I had considered it, but not until now decided it was a need)
shalky wrote:Because when I was attacking dwarf outpost (scenario 6) one dwarf managed to bypass my forces and Atheod was simply killed.
After that one scenario, Atheod isn't needed anymore. I'll make sure to switch his moves back to 5, though.

Thanks for all your suggestions! As it is Christmas, I am too busy atm to fix these problems, so you guys may have to wait until Sunday/Monday. Merry Christmas, everyone!

MAJOR EDIT: 0.3.2 is out with the above changes, also removed a catapult and made the AI catapult shooting a bit more faulty to account for friendly fire and such that the player has to deal with in actuality. This should make it a lot easier. If it still needs more changes in difficulty, please let me now.

PROGRESS: A 12th scenario is in the making: the map, mechanics, and coding are done, but there are a slew of bugs to work out. This may take a while :lol2: Thanks again to supporters and the silent majority (hopefully) that enjoy my campaign.
Join the new R2D forum!
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

I got the latest update and tried scenario 3 again... you have made it much easier, but when I move the dwarf to the keep (I am now supposed to move the dwarf to the nearest keep, right?), nothing happens.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Fixed in the next update. Forgot to update the target destination after moving the keeps.
Join the new R2D forum!
shalky

Post by shalky »

I like the changes you have done. Now it is certainly doable to destroy the enemy. Although I would like some kind of cavalry.
However it seems that random is not working both sides gets same type of units again and again.

In scenario Infiltration the event in which you create the bridge happens again and again. Every time you get to the designed spot. Also southern bridge cracks only if the person is standing on it in the end of the turn.