After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

stargazer

Re: After the Storm 0.7.2 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by stargazer »

Hello, I downloaded the campaign yesterday and passed several scenarios at hard level.
But in scenario 7 of episode 1 (The Search for thePast), when I walked through the caves to gather information, I killed all enemies and touched all glyphs, but the scenario didn't end. I had a quick look at the map and configuration file but couldn't find what was the reason, since I touched all 5 (4 velvet +1 red)(?) information glyphs present in them. So what it wrong with it?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.7.2 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by Iris »

What Wesnoth version are you running? I just completed the scenario successfully on 1.10.1. If it’s not too much trouble, you could PM me a saved game of the completed scenario before triggering the last glyph so I could check what prevents it from ending there.

UPDATE: after a quick exchange, it turns out this isn’t a bug, at least not completely:
shadowmaster wrote:[...] you apparently missed the message sequence displayed when a unit that is not Elynia moves to the red glyph at 31,48, requiring her to move there instead. The scenario successfully ends then.

I’ll make a note to update the scenario Objectives accordingly when that happens.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.7.3 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.7.3 is out now.

This is chiefly a maintenance release addressing some known bugs, although there are a few balancing changes and some minor graphic updates thrown into the mix as well; most notably, Anya no longer looks quite the same at every level.

The changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.7.3:
--------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Dusk Faerie, Night Nymph, Nightshade Fire.

* Scenarios:
  * E1S7 - The Search for the Past:
    * Update objectives accordingly to remind the player to move Elynia to the
      sealed glyph when she doesn't find it first.
  * E1S9.1 - The Triad, part 1:
    * Minor graphic improvements.
  * E1S12 - The Queen:
    * Fixed multiple "cannot show message" warnings.
  * E2S2 - The Heart Forest:
    * Tweaked the initial spawn locations of Allyna and her pursuers in an
      attempt to make the ambush event a little less frustrating.
  * E2S4 - Shifting Allegiances:
    * Various map and code changes to increase difficulty.
  * E2S12 - Fate:
    * Minor graphic improvements.

* Units:
  * New or updated descriptions: Chaos Lorekeeper.
  * Improved unit animations: Dusk Faerie, Night Nymph, Nightshade Fire, Faerie
  * Optimized or fixed unit animations: Goliath, Sylvan Warden, Sprite, Fire
    Faerie, Dryad, Forest Spirit, Shaxthal Warlord.
  * Balancing:
    * Increased Forest Spirit's resistance to fire damage from 0% to 20%.
      * Note that this is actually a bugfix; the original fire resistance
        specified was 20%, but there was spurious left-over code switching
        it to 0%.
    * Increased Forest Spirit's resistance to arcane damage from -20% to -10%.
    * Decreased Forest Spirit's resistance to cold damage from 70% to 0%.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.7.4 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.7.4 is out now.

I expect this to be the last release of the 0.7.x series unless something major comes up later. The next release should be version 0.8.0, scheduled for May 1st assuming everything goes the way I planned in the meantime. 0.8.0 will contain the first three scenarios of After the Storm: Final (otherwise known as Episode III).

It’s perfectly evident at this point that it won’t be possible to achieve the version 1.0 goals very soon, which is why I decided to go ahead with the development of the third and final episode of the campaign immediately and turn it into a 1.0 target as well.

However, the importance of version 0.7.4 goes a little further than this minor change of plans.

In order to allow a faster release cycle and quick deployment of critical bug fixes, I have split the add-on in two packages. The first, original package contains all resources except music files, which are now provided by a separate add-on creatively titled After the Storm Music in the Wesnoth 1.10 add-ons server. Since neither the server nor the 1.10 client appear to have a problem with it, both add-ons are mutually dependent; this should minimize the chances of people installing the music package without the campaign.

This design will allow faster uploads at my end, and faster downloads at the players’ end (when not using Xdelta, anyway). I expect the 0.8.x release cycle to be fairly long and lively, assuming artwork and plot development go as expected. Given the nature of the music add-on, odds are it won’t see a lot of updates in the future; at the very least, it won’t be updated as often as the approx. 4.6 MiB campaign proper. People who don’t play with music or sounds enabled, or who simply cannot afford the separate 12.3 MiB download are not required to install the add-on, although the campaign menu entries will include a small warning accordingly.

Current users of 0.7.3 and previous versions will be asked to install the music add-on when upgrading or installing AtS for the first time.

Because of the aforementioned splitting and some other internal changes, I decided to fast-track this update instead of holding it until 0.8.0. The more testers, the better.

Version 0.7.4:
--------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Shaxthal Warlord Nar-Hamoth

* Music:
  * All current music tracks have been moved to a separate add-on,
    imaginatively titled "AtS Music". This add-on is now an optional dependency
    for those who can't afford downloading it or don't play with music enabled.
    When absent, the AtS campaign menu entries for each episode will include a
    notice stating so.

* Scenarios:
  * E2S5 - The Eastern Front:
    * Added a time-over dialog sequence.
    * Added an additional dialog sequence focusing on a specific
      player character.
  * E2S6 - The Voyage Home:
  * E2S7 - Proximus:
  * E2S8 - And then there was Chaos:
    * Fixed elves not getting the Loyal trait.
  * E2S9 - New Hive:
    * Fixed Shaxthal Worms changing colors when moving.
    * Reduced starting gold.
  * E2S10 - The Betrayal:
    * Fixed multiple "invalid WML array index" warnings at the start.
    * Reduced starting gold.
  * E2S11 - A Final Confrontation:
    * Made the glyph guardians a little more competent.
  * Healing glyphs no longer render affected units unable to attack on the
    same turn.

* Units:
  * Balancing:
    * Increased arcane damage resistance for most Shaxthal units from -50% to
      -20%.
    * Decreased Demon Zephyr's movement cost on deep water terrains from 2 to 1.
    * Decreased Demon Zephyr's movement cost on unwalkable terrains from 3 to 1.
  * Reimplemented NPC bird behavior code in Lua.
  * Renamed "Shaxthal Warlord" unit type to "Shaxthal Warlord Narhamoth";
    this breaks old saved games of E1S9.1 (The Triad, part 1) during turns.
Luckystars

Re: After the Storm 0.7.4 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by Luckystars »

Hello, I just wanted to say how much I appreciated your campaign, its currently my favorite series. The stuff you have done with it is simply amazing.
I have had one incredibly frustrating bug where loading the epilogue of After the storm episode 2 makes wesnoth crash when its about 99% loaded. I am currently on wesnoth 1.10.1 on mac o x and I did use :debug for some of the previous scenarios. I hope I can figure out the problem because I would love to see the epilogue of this wonderful campaign. I can send you the error report if you like but it is pretty long,
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Luckystars wrote:I have had one incredibly frustrating bug where loading the epilogue of After the storm episode 2 makes wesnoth crash when its about 99% loaded. I am currently on wesnoth 1.10.1 on mac o x and I did use :debug for some of the previous scenarios. I hope I can figure out the problem because I would love to see the epilogue of this wonderful campaign. I can send you the error report if you like but it is pretty long,
I am aware of this issue and I found a workaround before thanks to vultraz, which will be in version 0.8.0.

Unfortunately, I’m obviously behind schedule for various technical and non-technical reasons, and I’m not sure how much additional time will pass before 0.8.0. If you can find the data/add-ons/After_the_Storm/base-variables.cfg file in your user preferences dir and edit it, find the following line and replace it accordingly.

Find:

namespace="Project_Y.After_the_Storm"
Replace with:

namespace="Project_Y_After_the_Storm"
(In other words, replace the dot in that line with an underscore.)

EDIT: fixed link.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I just uploaded version 0.1.1 of After the Storm Music to the server. This release of the music package only contains one change in order to prevent Wesnoth from crashing due to an empty _main.cfg file (#16544 [Gna.org]).
Teapot

Post by Teapot »

Hi,

I have a few reports on ONE scenario to make, I have played more than one of course but only that one I found problems :)
I wanted to finish the campaign and post a whole set of remarks but the fact is I play by spurs and now is not the time ^^

As a precision, I played with the 6th april release (last one except for the music still 1.0 but no problem to report)
Spoiler:
Good luck for the next part, I am impatiently waiting for it :)

edit : well now I've finished it again, one more thing :
Spoiler:
Error 418
direfish

Post by direfish »

I had a bit of a deja vu playing this campaign. It looks exactly like IftU: same enemies, same combat strategies, similar plot even. Need more variety here.
Writing could be improved also. The campaign is epic and you obviously want to convey a lot of lore, but at times i felt stuffed with text and it was hard to wade through it.
The last thing - ghosts and elven ancestors break the game.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

direfish wrote:I had a bit of a deja vu playing this campaign. It looks exactly like IftU: same enemies, same combat strategies, similar plot even. Need more variety here.
:lol2: Riiiiiight.
direfish wrote:The last thing - ghosts and elven ancestors break the game.
Except Elvish Ancestors aren’t recruitable or even defined in WML in this campaign.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.8.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.8.0 is out now...

... 16 days after the original deadline. Oh well. At least it didn’t take half a year like the last time I failed to meet a release schedule.

This version will most certainly not be exempt of flaws. It introduces the first three playable scenarios of Episode III (Final), plus two cutscenes; the playable scenarios haven’t been tested very thoroughly by my dedicated QA team or myself, and thus might be full of balancing issues, especially on difficulty levels other than Normal.

I guess I might as well take this opportunity to mention that Normal is, in fact, the only difficulty level I actually test.

There’s also a few bug fixes in this version, but nothing too important other than a voodoo fix for crashes affecting Mac OS X users at the end of Episode II (previously described in the forums). Somehow, I managed to forget to mention this item in the changelog this time; I feel this isn’t the only thing I forgot to do before releasing. Ah well, it probably isn’t my fault seeing as how I have to take care of so many things (cough art cough) for this campaign.

NOTE: The immediate implication of this fix is that you will need to run Fate (the final cutscene scenario of Episode II, not the whole episode) again if you want Anya’s and Durvan’s stats to carry over to Episode III.

Version 0.8.0:
--------------
* Scenarios:
  * Mal Hekuba now wears purple TC as he did in IftU.
  * E3S0 - Opening (Within):
    * New scenario.
  * E3S1 - Beyond her Smile (A Light in the Darkness):
    * New scenario.
  * E3S2 - Return to Raelthyn (Reckoning):
    * New scenario.
  * E3S3 - Amidst the Ruins of Glamdrol (A Path to Follow):
    * New scenario.

* Units:
  * Balancing:
    * Increased Chaos Hound's recruit cost from 18 to 20.
    * Increased Shaxthal Razorbird's recruit cost from 18 to 19.
    * Decreased Shaxthal Runner Drone's ranged attack strength from 8-3 to 7-3.
  * Fixed invisible Chaos Longbowman and Heavy Longbowman units due to missing
    graphics.
  * Fixed Elvish Trapper and Elvish Prowler disappearing during animations.
  * Fixed NPC bird code deleting the previous on-map unit when moving a
    bird to an occupied hex (i.e. worms in E2S9).
  * Removed Kri'tan.
MRDNRA

Re: After the Storm 0.8.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by MRDNRA »

I look forward to eventually playing this campaign in full if I can ever get round to completing IftU on Normal difficulty. I have previously completed all but the last level of IftU on Easy as well! Have also played a few of the early levels of this campaign and from what I have seen it is quite good, although the 2nd level of the first episode is certainly made more challenging by not being able to recruit and level adepts in the first level!
Teapot

Post by Teapot »

Feedback!
Spoiler:
Thanks for your hard work! :)
Error 418
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Teapot wrote:Also, I found myself really pressured in the beginning and then enemies just stopped recruiting, so I suggest you add more GPT to enemies.
This problem isn’t specific to this scenario by any means, and I haven’t found a good solution yet. Increasing enemy income will only lead to a larger (potentially unmanageable) amount of enemy recruits at the beginning without solving the actual problem.
Teapot wrote:E3 S3 : It seems an interaction is attached to a Zephyr Demon south from the starting point. However I am not sure whether it did trigger the right way, since it was on the second turn of his attack that it finally talked.
The sequence in question only triggers once when engaging in combat from the third turn onwards; this is on purpose.
Spoiler:
Teapot

Post by Teapot »

Spoiler:
Cheers!
Error 418