After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Chaos_Farseer

Re: After the Storm 0.8.3 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.0]

Post by Chaos_Farseer »

Found a bug in Wesnoth 1.11.0's version.

In AtS 1, scenario "Civil War in the North", right after the Footpad says "Lead us, my lord," an error message appears:
Assertion failed!

Program: ...
File: src\unit_map.hpp
Line: 201

Expression: valid()
This is on normal (Wraith) difficulty using Windows 7.

Now, I must say that your campaigns are absolutely amazing, shadowmaster. Thank you for putting so much time into it.
An odd first post indeed...
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.8.3 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.0]

Post by Iris »

Yeah, that’s a known issue that might be related to similar crashes reported in other campaigns.

I posted a possible workaround nearly a couple of months ago. You might want to try that if you really need to continue playing on 1.11.0.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.8.4 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.0]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.8.4 is out.

The changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.8.4:
--------------
* General:
  * Dropped remaining compatibility code for Wesnoth 1.9.9 and earlier.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated items: crystal glyphs.
  * New or updated unit graphics: Sprite, Fire Faerie, Forest Spirit, Dryad,
    Elvish Acolyte, Elvish Ascetic, Elvish Mystic, Elvish Avatar,
    Civilian/Messenger, Dusk Faerie, Night Nymph, Nightshade Fire.

* Scenarios:
  * E2S4 - Shifting Allegiances:
    * Gave Tara a unique baseframe.

* Units:
  * Balancing:
    * Farmland no longer applies for the effects of the Sylvan Spark and Sylvan
      Essence abilities.
    * Reduced Shaxthal elusivefoot defense on Deep Water from 20% to 10%
      (Shaxthal Rayblade, Shaxthal Stormblade, Elyssa).
  * Fixed Chaos Longbowman and Heavy Longbowman melee attack animations.
  * Give Forest Spirits the 'spirit' trait instead of 'undead'. Note that as a
    side-effect, existing instances of this unit will get both traits when
    loading from saved games.
.17%đØ
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
rantoni34

Re: After the Storm 0.8.4 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.0]

Post by rantoni34 »

Greetings, I think I'll post some comments. First, I want to commend on your superb previous campaign (IftU) I must say that it was a classic yet a refreshing one, with a solid background story and logically consistent timeline (which you did by taking a futuristic era). Because of that, I had a high expectation for you newest one (AtS) but sadly, I got severely disappointed. At first I still able to enjoy the story, but as of late I found that the story are....rather forced...and dragging longer and longer than it actually needs to. I mean...how unbalanced it is for the Heroes faction to continuously diminishing in power while the enemies always seems to have more and more 'Pawn' and I took almost all of the heroes power to even kill one of such pawn. I'm talking about Mal-Hekuba, Yechnagoth's hearts (which in fact only a replica of it), Elyssa getting even more powerful after her initial defeat in IftU. The other thing is about the story, at first it's still comprehend-able but now it's getting weird turn which (I feel) meant only to drag the story longer. I'm not an expert or anything and it is your work so I have no right whatsoever to change it, but as your fan (sort of) I just don't want to see my favorite campaign (which I earnestly hope will be a mainline campaign in the future) to be degraded like a third-rate soap opera.
Sincerely Yours,

Richard
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

rantoni34 wrote:Elyssa getting even more powerful after her initial defeat in IftU.
Untrue. It is Elynia who lost Iluvia’s blessing (a.k.a. the Union) and hasn’t realized her purpose yet because she’s really stupid, although she is finally getting back on track.
rantoni34 wrote:I just don't want to see my favorite campaign (which I earnestly hope will be a mainline campaign in the future) to be degraded like a third-rate soap opera.
The day IftU (or AtS) makes it to mainline will be a dreadful one. Combining my creations with those of strictly canonical sources in mainline could only create an unprecedented situation of mutually assured destruction. If that ever comes to pass, players and developers around the world will be overcome by fear to the point that they will weep rivers of blood until there is no-one left to neither enjoy nor develop Wesnoth anymore. I simply refuse to accept that the fate that is in reserve for us includes this absolutely outrageous final catastrophe.

Thank you for the feedback. Other than the factual inaccuracy I pointed out above, it is very well informed and spot on, and I appreciate that. The only thing I can say to it, though, is that this campaign (just like IftU) is not for everyone. I can see why people who managed to enjoy IftU (in spite of the terrible writing) would be disappointed by the sudden change of mood, pacing, and focus, but there is nothing I can really do to please those people other than writing another IftU under the same specific circumstances IftU was written, which simply can not and will not happen.

Although I may as well note that other than the third episode, the AtS structure plan has remained largely unchanged since some months after I finished writing IftU. The third episode was intended to be a completely separate campaign, but I quickly realized several technical and administrative constraints and integrated it into the main AtS proper instead.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

shadowmaster wrote:The day IftU (or AtS) makes it to mainline will be a dreadful one. Combining my creations with those of strictly canonical sources in mainline could only create an unprecedented situation of mutually assured destruction. If that ever comes to pass, players and developers around the world will be overcome by fear to the point that they will weep rivers of blood until there is no-one left to neither enjoy nor develop Wesnoth anymore. I simply refuse to accept that the fate that is in reserve for us includes this absolutely outrageous final catastrophe.
Really ? Why ? Because the story ?

Friendly,
rantoni34

Post by rantoni34 »

Well I did say 'I hope' (and I only referring to IftU) as for your answer, I would like to remind you some history of Wesnoth itself. At first Under the Burning Sky (UtBS) was not included in the mainline campaign in the earlier versions (so did Freedom, Undead Water, and many other) but as their story, timeline, and background history don't collide with the established/canonical ones, they got in the mainline in the end, so it's not (entirely) impossible that it will happen sometimes in the future.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Under the Burning Suns, Liberty, and Dead Water.

I am well aware, but I have my reasons to not want my campaigns in mainline. IftU was actually considered for review circa 2009, but I later decided against it for various reasons. Nevertheless, I will not go into detail because some people could get the wrong impression.
rantoni34

Post by rantoni34 »

I understand you have your reasons, and won't push you to talk about it. And I will almost definitely against (even tough I have no right whatsoever about it) to put AtS as it is right now to be a mainline candidate (maybe because of my biases) because it most probably will ruin the entire image of 'classical tactical RPG' of Wesnoth as a whole (the idea of alien forces, common ancestry of demon and elf, etc) but maybe with some tone down....it'll be much better. But anyway, once again thanks for working on creating campaign....FYI, I ALWAYS download IftU in every update I do (game version), so please keep striving to make such masterpiece again :)
jdr90000

Post by jdr90000 »

I'm playing 1.11.0 on a Mac running 10.6.8 - in "Civil War in the North" when Galas discovers the main encampment and the screen unfogs to reveal the two elf factions, the game quits out. I've tried restarting but still the same, so I don't think it's the comp - is anyone else having this problem?
jdr90000

Post by jdr90000 »

Ah, I see other people's posts. I'll try the workaround.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You might want to try switching to Wesnoth 1.11.1 instead.
Vendetta_00000

Post by Vendetta_00000 »

I'm encountering an issue while running this add-on in iwesnoth (1.10.4) where in the 4th scenario when you confront the shaxthal drones the games locks up when the drones attack. Is this because of the application or is it a common error with add-on? Thank you, I love your work by the way.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Vendetta_00000 wrote:I'm encountering an issue while running this add-on in iwesnoth (1.10.4) where in the 4th scenario when you confront the shaxthal drones the games locks up when the drones attack. Is this because of the application or is it a common error with add-on? Thank you, I love your work by the way.
The fourth scenario of episode I, II, or III? Each episode has its own fourth scenario, and—hilariously enough—all of them feature drones.

I don’t see this happening with 1.10.5 and the fourth scenario (Terror at Dusk) from episode I, and I don’t think that scenario ever caused any issues like that before since it’s fairly simple compared to the rest.

That is, in the official/PC version (specifically, Linux). I cannot really provide any support for the iOS version myself, but you might want to ask the port’s maintainer in his topic in Users’ Forum.
Vendetta_00000

Post by Vendetta_00000 »

Thanks for the timely response, the problem occurred in the fourth scenario of the first episode. I appreciate the advice and link, thank you.