After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.16 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Iris »

I could say a lot of things, but they really wouldn’t entirely make sense without some proper contextualization, which unfortunately requires you to play the rest by yourself and not ask others to spoil things for you. So you’ve got two options at this point: either continue playing the campaign to its very end (i.e. all three episodes) and savor it thoroughly like a cup of expensive wine that actually happens to be poisoned, or abandon now and keep any early conclusions you might’ve reached from the first 10 scenarios of the 40-something scenarios-long ride. (40-something? I’m not sure. I’m not a mathematician.) Since you appear to feel strongly about something that happened in the campaign, I’m inclined to believe you’ll make the right choice and not let my words sway your opinion.

I have said this before and I’ll say it again, though: AtS is complete story-wise and you’re not going to see any changes to the narrative, especially not one with long-lasting consequences like the one you suggest. And while it may not be a very deep campaign, I tend to feel it’s best suited for attentive players who can take the time to think things over carefully and taking past experiences into account instead of charging head first into battle — both for the actual gameplay, and the story it presents. Sometimes bad things happen and you just have to manage and accept them the best way you can and move on with your life — or risk being shunned by other people who’ve had it better than you. Now, am I talking about a fictional character in this campaign, or real people? Who knows.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, ok, i won't not too insistive, you made the campaign after all, so you decide what to do with it
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

I just finished this campain. It was excelent, especially the storyline, though I was skipping some glyphs, there were too many of them. This is the campain which ahs learned me to use nighgounts...
Spoiler:
What I didnt like were AMLAs of my heroes, they werent really good, but in Invasion from the Unknown, the Elenyas AMLAs were completely useless, here at least you could use them... but I guess you dindt want to make her to be superhero. Te thing I didnt like was, that I ve lost my army almost three times, and had to recreate it from the same units-undeads. Because undeads are best against drones.

I was really cought by story, one of the best written stories in wesnoth, I was just running forward to see what will happen next.

So thanks for great playing...
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

I've just finished the story. Credits still running now when I write this. I have to say that , as cool as this campaign is, it isn't yet finished as everyone saw. I would love to see the next part of this story if it will ever be made. Oh, and if you ask me, it wouldn't be good if Elynia killed Elyssa . If that would have occurred , then truly Galas wouldn't have died but the explosion in Wesmere would have still probably killed both Galas and Mal Keshar. But what would have happened? With Elynia's knowledge she wouldn't be able to go further from Irdya. She would be stuck there till she would find out a way to leave it. She wouldn't have realized she is the guardian of earth and didn't have Elyssa to help her defeat the last boss. Also, Elyssa was totally needed in order to stop Uria.
This campaign has the most evolved story line so far but I would still have loved to work more on the characters because in Invasion From The Unknown, few things were clarified about most of the main characters. I truly love the plot and wish it would continue.
IneCeantee

Post by IneCeantee »

I'd like to ask about the continue to the story, have u got something on mind? ll'u do another campaing, where Elynia and Elyssa will be fighting against uria in her word ?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That seems like the most logical direction to me.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
MalGalas

Post by MalGalas »

I'd be over the moon if there would be a new campaign where Elyssa and Elynia fight Uria on Ethea
Aeryllos

Post by Aeryllos »

shadowm wrote:That seems like the most logical direction to me.
I take it you don't intend to make the sequel anymore based on your twitter? It would be a shame since it was shaping up to be a really interesting story.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Never say never.

In the meantime, you people might want to keep an eye on Inky’s playthrough, which she just started (she also did one for the rewritten version of IftU).

Sorry I couldn’t release version 0.10.0 with all those changes I wanted so badly to get done before the end of last year. It is frustrating and embarrassing and I’m really sorry about it.
Last edited by Iris on February 11th, 2017, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I think the campaign is already amazing as it is!! I still remember playing AtS for the first time, and it absolutely blew my mind! I was amazed you could have such compelling storytelling in Wesnoth. (I regret that I hadn't joined the forums at the time, so I didn't come and express my enthusiasm.) I think we (players) should celebrate the awesomeness of these campaigns without worrying about little updates.

And wow, thanks for advertising my playthrough!! :D (Just mentioning that I'm actually a girl, though I also generally assume everyone else on these forums is a guy, so it's quite understandable!)

----
Anyway, I'm here to report a possible minor bug (?) in E1S2 High Pass (AtS 0.9.16 and Wesnoth 1.12.6): The northeast enemy leader doesn't recruit a single ghost despite having them on the recruit list, which makes the scenario easier than intended since ghosts are the best units against your undead, and since the enemies only have slow units you end up fighting their armies one after another. I noticed because I remember there being enemy ghosts in Wesnoth 1.10, so perhaps this is a Wesnoth bug (or maybe it was just the RNG?).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sorry about the pronouns! It’s fixed now.
Inky wrote:Anyway, I'm here to report a possible minor bug (?) in E1S2 High Pass (AtS 0.9.16 and Wesnoth 1.12.6): The northeast enemy leader doesn't recruit a single ghost despite having them on the recruit list, which makes the scenario easier than intended since ghosts are the best units against your undead, and since the enemies only have slow units you end up fighting their armies one after another. I noticed because I remember there being enemy ghosts in Wesnoth 1.10, so perhaps this is a Wesnoth bug (or maybe it was just the RNG?).
I think it’s the RNG, but I’m not sure since I’ve never properly understood how the AI decides which units to recruit in the absence of a hardcoded recruitment pattern (of if provided more than one suitable candidate per entry).

For what it’s worth, on both an old 1.11.18+dev Normal difficulty replay and a fresh test run on both Normal and Hard on 1.12.6+dev I just did, the NE leader’s AI seems to try to recruit one Ghost around turn 2 before running out of gold for the first 6 turns-
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

It's been a while since I've last been on here. I wanted to say that my last posts might have been a little childish and I'm sorry if they were, though I guess I still am a child. Anyways, I wanted to say that this campaign was amazing and the story was brilliant. I'm learning coding and programming these years at highschool and I really wish to end up making a game with a story as good as this! This is one of the best stories I've ever found so far and I can't help but take it as an example for what I want to do(I really wish to make stories this good). Thanks for making all of this! ^_^
Iris
Site Administrator

Important announcement

Post by Iris »

There’s a poll now in both this and the Invasion from the Unknown topic. Both polls offer two options only because the forum software requires that as a minimum to attach a poll to a topic. If you want this campaign and IftU ported to 1.14, submit your vote — again, both options are the same thing — within the next 30 days. I’m only interested in the total vote count and I’ll decide what to do according to that. For no particular reason at all, make sure to vote in both topics.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.17 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.17 is out.

Yes. 0.9.17.

Unfortunately, due to multiple unforeseen circumstances, I have not had the chance to work on the big changes that should eventually become part of version 0.10.0. I am really sorry about that again. I should probably also mention that it’s still extremely unlikely I will be porting either this or IftU to Wesnoth 1.13.x any time soon. It’s going to be a very time-consuming task that doesn’t benefit me in any tangible way, especially since I don’t play or work on Wesnoth anymore.

Also, I’d like to clarify that IftU version 2.0.1 mentioned in the changelog below has not been released yet, for anyone wondering where it is.

Anyway, if you are interested in other related content, why not check out Inky’s playthrough and drop a few comments there? It’s currently at Episode 3 Scenario 3, so there’s not much time left before it’s over!

The complete changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.9.17:
---------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Chaos Headhunter, Chaos Marauder, Chaos
    Soulhunter, Anya, REDACTED, REDACTED, Faerie Forest Spirit, REDACTED,
    REDACTED, REDACTED.
  * New or improved unit animations: Elynia (E1/E2 ranged attack, E1/E2
    defense, E3 melee, E3 ranged attack, E3 defense, REDACTED, REDACTED,
    REDACTED).

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Japanese.

* Music:
  * The IftU Music add-on is now required in addition to AtS Music, and the
    tracks already provided by it have been removed from AtS Music.

* Scenarios:
  * E1S3 - Civil War:
    * Dialogue typo fix by Inky.
  * E1S10 - Tears:
    * Story text typo fix by Inky.
  * E2S12 - Fate:
    * Replaced the beginning of a pivotal line by Elynia with a rephrased
      version provided by vultraz (from IftU 2.0.1).
  * E3S1 - Beyond her Smile (A Light in the Darkness):
    * Story text typo fix by Inky.
 ̙͍͇̣ͅ ̻̜͕̥̞*̟ ̳̩E͇͖̼̻3͍͍S̭̣̦͉̯̝̭9͖̖͚ ̞͓͍̟-̠̥͔̫̱̭ ̝D͕̟a̪r̻̤k̰̜̲̳ ̙D̲͚̗̜̬̭͇ḙ͚̖̹p͙͙̗̺͓ṱ̝̟̣̥̙ḥ̙s̤̫:͍͙͕͉͕
    * ??????????????????
    * Minor prose fixes for the ending cutscene.

* Units:
  * New unit type descriptions:
    * Chaos Arbalestier, Chaos Crossbowman, Chaos Invader, Chaos Bowman, Chaos
      Raider, Chaos Headhunter, Chaos Doom Guard, Chaos Hell Guardian, Chaos
      Dark Knight, Chaos Razerman, Shaxthal Drone, Chaos Invoker, Chaos Magus,
      Sylvan Warden, Chaos Lorekeeper, Chaos Marauder, Chaos Soulhunter, Chaos
      Warlord, Chaos Hound, Demonic Hound, Hellhound, Chaos Longbowman, Chaos
      Heavy Longbowman, Chaos Cavalier, Chaos Cataphract, Fungoid, Faerie
      Sprite, Fire Faerie, Faerie Dryad, Faerie Forest Spirit, Shaxthal
      Rayblade, Shaxthal Sentry Drone, Shaxthal Assault Drone, Minor Imp, Imp,
      Blood Imp, Gutwrencher Imp, Armageddon Imp.
  * Door units now clear terrain beneath them on 'last breath' rather than
    'die' events, in order to ensure shroud is correctly cleared before
    scenario-specific event handlers are run.
  * Replaced Chaos Crossbowman and Arbalestier's sword attack with an axe to
    match the sprites.
Xanri

Re: After the Storm 0.9.17 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Xanri »

It’s going to be a very time-consuming task that doesn’t benefit me in any tangible way, especially since I don’t play or work on Wesnoth anymore.
I guess that means there won't be a sequel to AtS as well soon? This would be sad :( its still my favourite campaign by far (and i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one)