After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.14 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.14 is out.

Still nothing new at all.

The complete changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.9.14:
---------------
* General:
  * A work-in-progress version was uploaded to the add-ons server as 0.9.13 by
    mistake. In order to avoid confusion and ensure automated upgrades work
    correctly, the final release number is 0.9.14.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated terrain graphics: Dark Hive, Dark Hive Surface, Dark Hive
    Depths.
  * New attack icon for Elynia's staff.
  * New or improved unit animations: Elynia (E1/E2 defense, ranged attack).

* Language and i18n:
  * New translations: Japanese.

* Scenarios:
  * E3S7A - Dark Fire:
    * Fixed the Potion of Life being able to be picked up multiple times.

* Terrains:
  * Added Wall Moss terrain overlay.
  * Removed custom campfire terrain (phased out in 0.9.12).
  * Removed custom trash/remains terrains (phased out in 0.9.12).

* Units:
  * Added a new unit type for Mal Hekuba.
  * Added a new unit type for the E2S11 boss.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.15 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.15 is out.

Nothing to see here.

Version 0.9.15:
---------------
* Graphics:
  * New or improved unit animations: Elynia (E1/E2 melee attack).
  * New or updated unit graphics: Fallen Faerie.
  * Fixed Elynia's fire attack having no sound effects in E1 and E2.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
RatArmy

Re: After the Storm 0.9.15 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by RatArmy »

I found a bug, In the scenario, ''And then there was Chaos''.

Lady of light's escape event is triggered even if Elynia's HP is less than 0 by Lady of light's counter attack.
After the event, Elynia just die.
Japanese Translator: Mainline components, and some Add-on campaigns...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

RatArmy wrote:I found a bug, In the scenario, ''And then there was Chaos''.

Lady of light's escape event is triggered even if Elynia's HP is less than 0 by Lady of light's counter attack.
After the event, Elynia just die.
Thanks for the report, this will be fixed in the next release.
Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Not sure where to ask this but I've tried googling and reading the thread.

Is there any intention to make a sequel and finish the story at the moment? Just curious.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yes, definitely.

When will it happen and how long will it take? I don’t know. The answer to this depends on a number of factors, some of which are currently beyond my control. I haven’t even actually started production work yet beyond a few sprite tests since I’ve been busy working on IftU 2.0 and/or mainline and/or pending IftU/AtS sprite art tasks.

(There also does not seem to be a huge amount of interest in these campaigns or single-player add-ons in general, so naturally anything IftU/AtS related takes a backseat to more pressing matters whenever I have the abilty to work on Wesnoth stuff, which is also why I decided to not port AtS to 1.13.x.)
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.16 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.16 is out.

Version 0.9.16:
---------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated terrain graphics: Chaos Emperor.

* Scenarios:
  * E2S8 - And then there was Chaos:
    * Fixed Elynia disappearing from the map and causing issues if her HP goes
      below 1 during the same attack sequence that results in Ivyel fleeing.

* Units:
  * AMLAs:
    * Galas can now get the berserker special on melee attacks (requires
      Strength I).
  * Balancing:
    * Increased arcane resistance for mechanical units (Automaton, Iron Golem,
      Goliath) from 30% to 50%.
    * Increased Magnum Suit's arcane resistance from 40% to 50%.
Xanri

Re: After the Storm 0.9.16 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Xanri »

Its already some years ago when i played „Invasion from the Unknown“ and „After the Storm“. I have already played quite a lot addon campaigns before, with different playstyles, races, some mostly following the „standard“ wesnoth gameplay in terms of scenarios and units, others being totally different.

Then i started both of your campaigns. I replayed them. Now im replaying them again (being in part two out of five at the moment – awesome rework by the way!).
And i just want to say: Thank you for this brilliant work.

There are a lot of things which make your campaigns fantastic. The respawning units are annoying as hell sometimes, but i always enjoyed playing against them – it requires a far more defensive and therefore „intelligent“ strategy than just rushing over you opponents with level 3 and 4 units. Furthermore, the campaigns get bonus points for the diversity of the scenarios: There is almost everything from REALLY hard survivals to victorious fights against one enemy, there are scenarios which require careful placement of just a few units and scenarios with several epic armies. This diversity is awesome.
Second, you introduced so many new units, but all of them have a reason to be there – its not just some „showing of“ of clueless creativity. The Shaxthal, the demons, the machines...they all found their place in the dystopic world of Irdya. Its almost needless to say that they are very well designed (i personally really liked the shaxthal design – it perfectly fits their image as fighting machines). I can barely imagine the tie you must have spent with this.
The story is just epic. Of course, a lot of those stories exist where an evil genius plans to destroy the world and the hero will eventually defeat him, but in your campaign this actually sounds real.
If there is something to critizise, then it might be the huge complexity of the background story: I have to admit that i lost connection to it two or three times when i played it for the first time. But with enough patience (and a doc., where i wrote down some parts to be honest :D ) this works as well – and the patience is totally worth it. Again, i can not imagine the time you have spent for the story.
Finally, the characters are great. It not just some average hero with a wise mentor by his side, a weird sidekick and a strong ally (or something), instead of this your characters are very well developed, they all look unique and fit their role perfectly.

This all makes it a great campaign already. But this is not what makes it a brilliant, unique campaign.

Your campaign is outstanding because i really could feel with the characters – even after i replayed it again and again.
Spoiler:
I really forgot that i was still playing a round-based strategy game, which offers „only“ texts as a way to develop both story and characters. Your campaign surpasses many games, which can rely on video and audio sequences (and high end graphics) in terms of characters and story.

Again: Thank you for this work. And i really, really wait for the next sequel – until then i will probably replay both campaigns again.
RatArmy

Post by RatArmy »

I fixed Japanese translation for ver 0.9.16.
Could you update it?
Attachments
AtS_Japanese_translation.tar.gz
Japanese translation of AtS ver 0.9.16
(426.35 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Japanese Translator: Mainline components, and some Add-on campaigns...
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Where is Igor? it this a bug? at the epilogue of Invasion from the Unknown it was made clear that he would participate in one more journey.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Daniel17022002 wrote:Where is Igor? it this a bug? at the epilogue of Invasion from the Unknown it was made clear that he would participate in one more journey.
It is a mystery.
Less fun answer:
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Well, there are also some little problems as After The Storm isn't completely fitting great with Invasion from The Unknown.
1.Death barons don't exist anymore???
2.Undead knights no more???
3.Elynia changes her cool main power of lighty balls (not Union) to Fire like the Faeries
4.Galas and Mal Keshar die (if it is true what I've read so far...couldn't help but read as I am far from the end,seen Galas die but didn't want to belive it :P) .I mean, it is like you are trying to cut the bond between Invasion from the Unknown and After The Storm which happen one after another. You can't simply kill all units but Elynia !!! (also Elynia says she considered Galas more than a friend though nothing more happened since Invasion from the Unknown between Galas and Elynia )
5.wtf, why did you change the textures of some units?!?!?!
6.Cookies.
7.In the scenario where it is a civil war between the elves, they don't really seem to have a bond to Galas, though he has saved their lifes . Also he had many veterans that would have died for him and weren't there. In Invasion From the Unknown, there were 2 units leading most of the elves, at me it was an elvish captain and an elvish sorceress (idk if it is the same at everyone) and here it is only one that died.
8.Is it no possibility to save Galas? (sounds childish but still he has been the main character and in here the 2nd protagonist)
9.There are far too many forest terrains at the start of the game, and they weren't at all in the north yet. There should have been more desert than forests as in Invasion from the Unknown we saw 99% desert in the main part of Wesnoth
10.Where are the Argawathi units????(idk if I spelt it right) . Loyalist wesnoth-like units no more existed as far as I knew from the prequel of this campaign. It is very weird to change all the units in the north and it makes really no sense.
11.Of course, my old question, where is Igor? (ik it is too late to change it but I am just mentioning it)
12.Is it just me or Mal Keshar's personality is totally changed? He was a ironic lich and now, he is nothing more but a serious undead ugly thing that really makes the storyline even more sad.
I guess that's all till now. These observations don't suggest that you are really bad in making campaigns or smth, I really loved Invasion from the Unknown and After The Storm really has some great parts!!!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Daniel17022002 wrote:Well, there are also some little problems as After The Storm isn't completely fitting great with Invasion from The Unknown.
1.Death barons don't exist anymore???
2.Undead knights no more???
3.Elynia changes her cool main power of lighty balls (not Union) to Fire like the Faeries
4.Galas and Mal Keshar die (if it is true what I've read so far...couldn't help but read as I am far from the end,seen Galas die but didn't want to belive it :P) .I mean, it is like you are trying to cut the bond between Invasion from the Unknown and After The Storm which happen one after another. You can't simply kill all units but Elynia !!! (also Elynia says she considered Galas more than a friend though nothing more happened since Invasion from the Unknown between Galas and Elynia )
5.wtf, why did you change the textures of some units?!?!?!
6.Cookies.
7.In the scenario where it is a civil war between the elves, they don't really seem to have a bond to Galas, though he has saved their lifes . Also he had many veterans that would have died for him and weren't there. In Invasion From the Unknown, there were 2 units leading most of the elves, at me it was an elvish captain and an elvish sorceress (idk if it is the same at everyone) and here it is only one that died.
8.Is it no possibility to save Galas? (sounds childish but still he has been the main character and in here the 2nd protagonist)
9.There are far too many forest terrains at the start of the game, and they weren't at all in the north yet. There should have been more desert than forests as in Invasion from the Unknown we saw 99% desert in the main part of Wesnoth
10.Where are the Argawathi units????(idk if I spelt it right) . Loyalist wesnoth-like units no more existed as far as I knew from the prequel of this campaign. It is very weird to change all the units in the north and it makes really no sense.
11.Of course, my old question, where is Igor? (ik it is too late to change it but I am just mentioning it)
12.Is it just me or Mal Keshar's personality is totally changed? He was a ironic lich and now, he is nothing more but a serious undead ugly thing that really makes the storyline even more sad.
I guess that's all till now. These observations don't suggest that you are really bad in making campaigns or smth, I really loved Invasion from the Unknown and After The Storm really has some great parts!!!
my opinion on your mentions:
1.i see your point, the undead really need leadership, so i understand you
2.also got your point, i kinda like them too
3.she gained the faerie-ish attacks in last scenario in IftU
Explanation:
4.i 999% agree with you, in IftU Anlinde's death was less noticed, since she was more of a temporary mentor character, btw, here is my idea how to bring Mal Keshar back
Plans for maybe all the way for part 4, or sequel (in which the campaign will be 50% Elynia/other one, and 50% Anya):
5.maybe it's inconsitensy between IftU and AtS (shadowm added new sprites for IftU, but didn't add them to AtS yet)
6.eh? :?
7.yeah, you got a major point, maybe make it so that a small part of enemy units join Galas instead of fighting against him (mostly applies to veterans, and not new blood, amount defined my difficulty) it would add at least some logic
8.well, i kinda understand you too on that matter
9.once again, you got a point
10. ...
11.he isn't in the campaign, but maybe shadowm can add him, as, say a loyal unit with almost no lines except for the first scenario(s)
12.yeah, liked him in the ironic personality much better
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Regarding point #4, I can elaborate a bit:
AtS ending spoiler:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Regarding to 10. , I meant that a whole faction disappears being changed to the usual loyalists of Wesnoth which seems kind of wrong , that is all.
Also, I understand that it is normal for her to loose the people around her, but his death has no logic, he died instantly , even if he was a person that wouldn't have given up so fast. I mean, yes , it is like in real life, you can die in any moment , but I would have rather let him die towards the end, letting him know the Chaos Empire will loose the fight. Probably the reason I really won't accept Galas' death is because he has been the main character for a lot of time and him to end like this is horrible or because I am too young , I don't know. It just seemed too...fast placed. I would suggest a changing in this when After The Storm will be fully completed.