After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

cerion

Re: After the Storm 0.4.4 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]

Post by cerion »

Didn't notice any bugs in scenario 11. It did take me most of my 450 gold to get through it on the first run on normal, although I don't think I played it optimally. I took the approach of moving S/SW to defeat the southern enemy forces in the field. My level 1 recruits took very high casualties, especially when the northern wave arrived and I had to fight in bad defensive terrain around the castle before the level 3s made it back from the south.

Could use some sort of warning about the permanent night.
Theron

Post by Theron »

AtS 0.4.4, hard / Wesnoth 1.9.9 / Mac OS S 10.6.8

// Scenario 11
IMHO hard is balanced and has well designed challenges.
Quick overview:
(My first strategy was a bad one. But its flaws were to be seen early and I restarted quickly.)
Starting gold: 360 + 74 = 434
Turns used: 26/30 (there is a bit of time pressure but not too much)
Gold to carryover: 160
I had to accept a few losses but was rewarded with more advancements.
(Replay is attached.)

Bug?
Matrix Flow System has 0% defense on all terrain.
Attachments
AtS-1-Return_to_Wesmer..._replay_2.gz
(70.42 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

All saves from the scenario before Fear and onward are invalid, no idea what causes it but I gotta keep the game running in the background and if I die, I gotta debug my way through the scenarios until I get back to where I want to be.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

From the previous page:
shadowmaster wrote:EDIT: There appears to be a bug in 0.4.2 causing saves to get corrupted after scenario 7. I’m looking into it.
EDIT2: It’s the exact problem I just mentioned above that causes saves corruption after scenario 7. 0.4.3 coming now. :|
0.4.3 and 0.4.4 shouldn’t have the same bug, but you’ll need to play scenario 7 (“The Search for the Past”) again.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lpeti93

Post by lpeti93 »

I've found a bug in the Triad Pt3 level, when I step on the bridge is says there's a WML error - see as attachment. And after it Elynia is talkin about Galas as a dead man, and i felt that something I missed, so I looked in the code read what happened, and tried to find out what the problem is but it was beyond my knowlegde.
And I can recall Galas in the next scenario, as well.
AtS version 0.4.4 difficulty easy, Wesnoth version 1.9.7
Attachments
Képernyőkép-Harc Wesnothért - 1.9.7.png
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Apparently I use a [remove_item] action syntax that only works since Wesnoth 1.9.9 there, hence I haven’t stumbled upon it. I guess the error is preventing the rest of the WML event (including Galas’ death sequence) from running, which is a pity since the [remove_item] action is purely aesthetic and has no direct effect on anything. If you don’t see the exchange between Elynia, Mal Keshar and Elyssa before the scenario ends then that’s certainly the reason.

I’ll test with 1.9.7 or 1.9.8 later to see if I can easily “fix” that in the campaign. Of course, the easy solution is just changing the version requirement from 1.9.5 to 1.9.9, but I can understand why some people are reluctant or just unable to upgrade, as I’ve been there myself in the past.

EDIT: by the way:
Theron wrote:Bug?
Matrix Flow System has 0% defense on all terrain.
Nope, not a bug. The units in question are not mobile, so they can’t dodge attacks at all. Their opponents can still miss due to plain old randomness, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Phew.

The following replacement scenario code should fix the problem on Wesnoth 1.9.8, and hopefully 1.9.7, 1.9.6 and 1.9.5 too. To try it, just drop it into <[wiki=EditingWesnoth#Where_is_my_user_data_directory.3F]user data directory[/wiki]>/data/add-ons/After_the_Storm/scenarios/ replacing the original file with the same name (09_The_Triad_part_3.cfg). You’ll need to start from the initial start-of-scenario save of The Triad pt. 3 (or the last save of pt. 2) to run the new code.
09_The_Triad_part_3.cfg
(17.91 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
(I am trying to hold off new releases since 0.5.0 is semi-rapidly approaching completion.)
lpeti93

Post by lpeti93 »

Thank you, it solved both my problems.
The answer is why I haven't upgraded until now is that it's a very difficult procedure to install all the dependiences of compiling Wesnoth. Yes, I accept, I'm a bit lazy, but the necessary packgages are being installed right now. ;)
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.5.0 [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I complete!

Post by Iris »

Version 0.5.0 is out now with the first episode complete!

The full rant announcement can be found here.

For those who’d rather read a terse piece of text with no emotive speech in it, the changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.5.0:
--------------
* Scenarios:
  * 09 - The Triad (part 3):
    * Fixed problems with the final cutscene on Wesnoth 1.9.8 and earlier.
  * 11 - Return to Wesmere (part 2):
    * New scenario.
  * Completed episode I.
* Units:
  * Removed Skirmisher ability from Elynia.
  * Spawners have a small chance of deactivating themselves after spawning a
    unit.
I have tried to make sure AtS remains playable on Wesnoth 1.9.8, but my primary development target is still 1.9.9 and support for 1.9.5, 1.9.6 and 1.9.7 is mainly theoretical at the moment. If you encounter any “Invalid WML errors” or such, and you are using Wesnoth 1.9.7 or earlier, try with Wesnoth 1.9.8 or 1.9.9 instead if you can, and give me some feedback in this forum thread so I can address any such issues as soon as I may.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.5.0a [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I complete!

Post by Iris »

Version 0.5.0a is out!

This revision just fixes one minor issue with the credits screen, of all things; nothing else.

The changelog follows:

Version 0.5.0a:
---------------
* Fixed a minor issue with the credits screen background.
cerion

Re: After the Storm 0.5.0a [Wesnoth 1.9.5+]: Episode I compl

Post by cerion »

Medium difficulty, 1.9.9

Congratulations on finishing episode 1!

The final boss fight is fun as always, but the crawl to the end is long and a bit on the boring/easy side - feels like it needs one or two of those high-respawn-rate areas or a better mini-boss to spice things up.
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

cerion wrote:The final boss fight is fun as always, but the crawl to the end is long and a bit on the boring/easy side - feels like it needs one or two of those high-respawn-rate areas or a better mini-boss to spice things up.
I guess I’m guilty of wanting to complete the episode as soon as possible to have more time for balancing later. :P
Spoilers follow.:
cerion

Post by cerion »

Spoilers follow.:
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Just started playing this, and there's two minor niggles in the story text before the first scenario:
The one who fought along with her husband for so long, to be ultimately forced to kill her own husband.
Also
the mission that was assigned to me eons ago?
while technically correct, you rarely see it spelt eons - it's usually aeons (maybe that's different in US English though?)
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Went through the dialog, and here are some changes I'd recommend. Some are just because they sound better to me, but a couple are grammar/spelling errors.

scenario 1:
"I don’t know what the hell is your purpose here" -> "I don’t know what the hell your purpose here is"

scenario 2:
"Perhaps it was not a good path choice after all" -> "Perhaps this path was not a good choice after all"

scenario 3:
"Neither of their bands is willing to search a peaceful end to this conflict" -> "Neither of their bands is willing to search for a peaceful end to this conflict"

scenario 6-2:
"we found this couple of strangers in the southeastern shores" -> "we found these two strangers on the southeastern shores"
"assist you once you tell us what you are exactly going to do" -> "assist you once you tell us exactly what you are going to do"

scenario 7:
"I’m not believing that it could be his true intention." -> "I don't believe that it was his true intention."

scenario 9:
"We would have killed you in sight" -> "We would have killed you on sight"
"this beautiful oportunity to cleanse" -> "this beautiful opportunity to cleanse"

scenario 10:
"There shall always come more troops" -> "More troops will come"

scenario 12:
"I am so old as a fossil" -> "I am as old as a fossil"

scenario 13:
"a very strategical location" -> "a very strategic location"
"to take risky choices like that" -> "to make risky choices like that"

edit: Also, on the first turn that the AI moves in scenario 3, the AI took so long to do whatever it was doing that wesnoth actually hung for about a minute, unhang, then hang again for about 30 seconds. This was in the stderr:

error ai/actions: Return value of AI ACTION was not checked. This may cause bugs!
Using 1.9.9 btw.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code